“Love this hotel”

Golf Residence Hotel
Hamilton
“Love this hotel”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have been here several times and I still love to stay here whenever I am in Tunisia. Staff are friendly the food is awesome and the smell of Jasmine in the air is so romantic. Ahhhhh can't wait to go back again soon!

Room Tip: I stayed in a balcony room facing the back this trip :)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sharon P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned 27 June 2014 . Thought I would put to bed all those negative reviews I read before I went. Found the hotel to be excellent,alright some of the areas needs a lick of paint but that's it. Food in the restaurant was excellent and always hot and plenty of it,waiters were really helpful and nothing was to much trouble. Only thing I found was lack of entertainment in the resort,apart from the world cup. There was a fairground about 300 metres away and the harbour was nice,beach was ok but some of the staff there needed an injection of charisma. The hotel had a nice pool area and plenty of space around it. Take a chance and go for it!!!

7 Thank Stephen D
celbridge
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here for a wk in June. I found it clean but a bit shabby. Almost didn't stay when I first arrived. Our room was overlooking a disco which was on full throttle when we arrived in the early hours so weren't impressed. However, the management changed our room next day. We were still a bit unsure. I felt better after a night's sleep didn't mind the shabbiness so much. The sheets and towels were spotlessly clean and were changed every day. The hotel itself was being cleaned all the time but it was still a bit shabby. However, the staff were lovely and the overall service was good. I like to try out different foods when on holiday so wasn't too put out by the array of vegetables, salads and local fish on offer in the restaurant for breakfast and evening meal. I had a lovely massage downstairs a couple of times and thought it good value. The animation team who looked after entertainment were particularly talented, especially the young girl who gave a fabulous rendition of all of the Michael Jackson dance routines. I especially liked the fact that the team looked after all ages and didn't have to resort to dubious 'adult party games' in order to get a laugh. They were very active and played an assortment of poolside games with the guests every day, ranging from water polo to darts, volleyball, aerobics and much more. The restaurant could have done with more cutlery and maybe new table linen but overall it was service with a smile. I enjoyed the atmosphere and felt it was a good deal for the cost of the holiday. Oh and we didn't have any mossies on this holiday....great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the disco and not on the ground floor as it can attract cockroaches.
1 Thank gerrreddy
midlands
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have just stayed at Golf Residence for 1 week. I was a little worried after reading some negative reviews. However Tunisian star rating is 4 (Thomas Cook rating 3*) which I think is fair. I was originally given a room next to the nightclub which on my first night was very noisy, especially as the World Cup was also on. I requested to move the next day and the room was so much nicer. Very quiet overlooking the gardens and it caught the afternoon sun, great view for sunset too. There wasn't a great choice at breakfast and there were some strange options carrots and onions, spinach and often courgettes! Plenty of choice at dinner. Snack bar also served decent food (pizzas, paninis and salads) all reasonably priced. Swimming pool was lovely, very clean and animation team were great. Never had much trouble finding a sun lounger. I got wifi in reception, bar and room which was good. Housekeeping very friendly towels changed daily ,but if you like to shower in the morning hide a towel as they collect them first thing and return a few hours later. I visited the beach once to walk across, looked very cramped and a lot of seaweed. Overall I was very happy with my stay. Ryan the Thomas Cook rep was very helpful and got things sorted very quickly.

• Stayed June 2014
North East England
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here in May 2014. Having read some of the poor reviews we were a little concerned about what we would find. In the event all was well.
Our room was quiet; it did not have the best view or the best of the sun, but it was comfortable and the balcony was ii the sun in late afternoon when we returned to the room for a drink.
The maid service was top class; what was said in another review is very true - 2 0r 3 dinars a day is really appreciated.
Other reviewers seem to have issues with the food. All I can say is that I thought it was very good for the price we were paying. Always plenty of choice and one can choose from and one can choose from European to Arabic style cuisine. The salad bar is also very good. A couple of dinar a night to the waiter does make a difference. He will make sure a table is reserved and laid for you. My wife, who is very picky, always found something she could eat.
Outside the pool area is pleasant. There were usually enough sun beds; if not the attendant will find you one for a small tip. Likewise for the mattresses.
Wine in the hotel is expensive. However there is an off licence near the marina. Don't go through the castle entrance to the marina but look to your right; you will notice a narrow lane. Go along that and the off licence is on your right and recognisable by bottles outside. Wine costing 22 dinar in the hotel was 8 dinar here. The hotel security do not seem to be over officious when it comes to taking it in to the hotel.
We went on the catamaran to see the fish. Waste of money; few fish and the catamaran does not provide good viewing.
The hotel is in a good location for the marina and the fun fair
We had a good time here; you will too. Don't be worried.

Room Tip: Avoid the front although I only heard of one person who had to move.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pollyperl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Hotel was pretty basic, fridge didn't work all week despite asking for a repair on numerous occasions, music was loud till the night and the local to the beach is pretty rubbish, food was bland and similar every night but i suppose you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Port El Kantaoui hotels

County Leitrim Republic of Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Returned from this hotel yesterday having stayed 1 week half board. My 1st impressions were not good if I am honest. I had pre requested a quiet room with pool view and that is what we received. It was Room 258 on the top floor. The room was a good size and had 2 beds pushed together and a single. The balcony was also a good size and had the sun late afternoon. It was however very dated and definitely needed refurbishment. The bathroom was the worst I have seen, the sink was cracked, the bath was quite high and difficult to get in, the shower head would not stay on the bracket so had to have hand held showers, the toilet was so close to the cracked wall tiles you had to sit sideways on it and the paint was peeling off everywhere. During the stay we had a leak coming through the ceiling, I got maintenance to come and look and he removed the ceiling tile and emptied a bucket that had been placed there previously and put the bucket back!, nothing done about the hole that the water had come through.
I found the food in the hotel to be of poor standard, breakfast in particular although I suppose they cater for many nationalities I did not want cauliflower or courgettes for breakfast! If you like eggs you would be fine. I lived of toast for the week!. I will however give praise to the waiting staff who worked very hard to provide a satisfactory service.
The pool area was very nice and I particularly liked the spacious feel around the pool areas. We were able to get sunbeds with shade and were not sitting on top of other people like you can get in some hotels. The grounds were clean and tidy and the pool very inviting.
The weather was very disappointing for us as it rained 5/7days unusual for mid June.
The pool bar served pizza and salads, omelettes ect with were satisfactory.
We used the hotels beach one day of the holiday and made use of the horse and cart provided by the hotel, (don't forget to tip) use at your own caution, we had a near death experience with a coach traveling at speed and a horse driver not paying attention!. The beach was a small area which felt a bit cramped but had all the water sports facilities available at a price!.
Overall I personally did not like Tunisia and the Golf Residence was a little disappointing due to the run down feel of the bedrooms, however the sheets were clean and I slept well so the 3 stars rating is about right.(definitely not 4 as advertised at the hotel).
One last note - Air Conditioning very poor more like air circulation if you are lucky, I wouldn't have known it was on other than the noise it was making.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room over looking the pool
1 Thank gilman3
Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels
El Mouradi Club Kantaoui
El Mouradi Club Kantaoui
#13 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Golf Residence Hotel? Share your experiences!