“more to come”

Golf Residence Hotel
Reviewed 6 July 2014

eh I am going to sit down and do my proper review this week and let everyone know the real truth behind Tunisia and the Golf Residence. But ALL i can say is skip this destination. It is a bad hotel and so is the area. I was disgusted with the service and the state of the place. by irish standards this place does no better than budget maybe 2 stars. minus the pool area which is nice. like i said stand by for a full review on the truth here. thanks

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank adamkaye1984
Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Like most people I was apprehensive about staying here, we arrived late afternoon and were put at the front of the hotel ,I requested a room change as suggested on trip advisor to a pool view room and was told I could have one the following day, we moved rooms away from the disco the following day, the hotel itself was spotless and the towels and bed linen were changed daily,the beds comfortable and the room very clean if in need of some updating, the staff were great and helpful, buffet lunch and evening meal was good, a great selection even for three fussy teenagers ! (Tip the waiter in the restaurant and he saves your table every evening ), the animation team were excellent, plenty to do during the day, table tennis , volleyball, water polo etc, they also do the evening entertainment which can be a bit cheesy but good fun, remember people the animation team work from 9.30am to 12.00 in the evening, that's a pretty long day for most people and they do a excellent job, you can change money to dinar in reception daily and the exchange rate is good , you can hire a safety deposit box for less than £1 a day which is well worth doing for passports etc , the hotel is a five min walk from the harbour which is lovely to walk down to in the evening, thee is also a small theme park across the road which is free to get in , there is also opposite the hotel a water park , about £10 to get in and you can stay all day , so plenty to do out and about. all in all excellent value for money.
My one big moan : and it's not about the hotel , it's about there beach, I'm not really a beach dweller but thought I would spend at least one day down there, I wish I had not bothered, we arrived via the hotels horse and carriage at 9.30am and it was packed, there were not available sun loungers, only the double bed ones, I asked a member of staff for a parasol to shade part of it and was told no they did not have any, after roasting in direct sun we sat in the shade for cold drinks, my daughter went for a bottle of water with ten dinar and he told her he didn't have change and would bring it later, three times I asked him for the change and he just kept saying later ! In the dn I had to quite rude in asking for it, it was not about the money but just the principal I felt he was trying to take advantage, all in all the beach was dirty and unkept, with cigarette butts all over, and the staff were rude and ignorant, mu suggestion to the hotel would be employ some of the lovely staff from the hotel and put them in charge down the beach.
Just some small tips for travellers ; beware men on the street saying they work at your hotel and they are on a day off and will show you round, the take you up and down ally ways and then charge you stupid amounts of dinar, happened to two old ladies in our hotel, if you visit the medina in sousse , go without your personal possessions like jewellery, one man at the hotel had his gold chain ripped off is neck, we took off anything worth any value and only took a small amount of cash with us, I don't intend to worry anyone but like in any other foreign country be aware of your surroundings, it's a great places but it has issues like any where else in the world

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for pool view room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Cindy J
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Like all reviews there are some negative points, if you are expecting 5 stars, this is not the hotel for you. We found it value for money. Had an initial problem with our 2 rooms but following morning was moved to a really nice double family room and was then able to start to enjoy our holiday. Staff were really helpful, snack bar was enjoyable and our waiter in the restaurant Ahmed was wonderful . Hotel was always being cleaned so that was a bonus, couple of small negatives, 1-entertainment at night was poor, but take yourself down to the harbour as that's lovely, 2-could do with a lick of paint in some places as a bit pre dated. Overall value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Frances2204
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My 16 th time here was great. Staff wonderfull service not to bad food shocking but if your fussy what do you expect!!! Maid service reception. Staff management great as always. Love this place the atmosphere is fantastic been at different times of year and meet some great people. The entertainment. Team mini more yaya and other guy work there buts off. Great location wither easy access to other places. The golf brow next to hotel has the best live bands singers on. Recommend this hotel to anyone if your expecting posh it's not but it's clean with the best people in it to make your holiday a good one...... See you in October....

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank lynn r
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have been here several times and I still love to stay here whenever I am in Tunisia. Staff are friendly the food is awesome and the smell of Jasmine in the air is so romantic. Ahhhhh can't wait to go back again soon!

Room Tip: I stayed in a balcony room facing the back this trip :)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sharon P
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned 27 June 2014 . Thought I would put to bed all those negative reviews I read before I went. Found the hotel to be excellent,alright some of the areas needs a lick of paint but that's it. Food in the restaurant was excellent and always hot and plenty of it,waiters were really helpful and nothing was to much trouble. Only thing I found was lack of entertainment in the resort,apart from the world cup. There was a fairground about 300 metres away and the harbour was nice,beach was ok but some of the staff there needed an injection of charisma. The hotel had a nice pool area and plenty of space around it. Take a chance and go for it!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Stephen D
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here for a wk in June. I found it clean but a bit shabby. Almost didn't stay when I first arrived. Our room was overlooking a disco which was on full throttle when we arrived in the early hours so weren't impressed. However, the management changed our room next day. We were still a bit unsure. I felt better after a night's sleep didn't mind the shabbiness so much. The sheets and towels were spotlessly clean and were changed every day. The hotel itself was being cleaned all the time but it was still a bit shabby. However, the staff were lovely and the overall service was good. I like to try out different foods when on holiday so wasn't too put out by the array of vegetables, salads and local fish on offer in the restaurant for breakfast and evening meal. I had a lovely massage downstairs a couple of times and thought it good value. The animation team who looked after entertainment were particularly talented, especially the young girl who gave a fabulous rendition of all of the Michael Jackson dance routines. I especially liked the fact that the team looked after all ages and didn't have to resort to dubious 'adult party games' in order to get a laugh. They were very active and played an assortment of poolside games with the guests every day, ranging from water polo to darts, volleyball, aerobics and much more. The restaurant could have done with more cutlery and maybe new table linen but overall it was service with a smile. I enjoyed the atmosphere and felt it was a good deal for the cost of the holiday. Oh and we didn't have any mossies on this holiday....great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the disco and not on the ground floor as it can attract cockroaches.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#6 of 36 in Sousse
El Kantaoui Center
El Kantaoui Center
#14 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Golf Residence Hotel? Share your experiences!