“Great holiday”

Golf Residence Hotel
“Great holiday”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I went for a week in June with my friend, best holiday yet, the hotel is fantastic , brilliant value , the entertainment team were amazing ! Would highly recommend this hotel and tusina any day :) great for families and plenty of places to go out. The local club was fantastic, great music and cheap drink, you would find it hard to spend your money in tusina ....

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank duperhol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Having just got back from the golf Residence and being sceptical about the place after reading some of the reviews. We found a hotel with rooms that were dated but were kept clean, and were cleaned with new towels every day. All the staff were friendly and willing to help. However some sun beds could be replaced or repaired but in most cases a 1 denar (35p) matress was a good daily investment .The pool attendant was also very attentive to his role and kept the pool area and the toilets clean and tidy all day. The animation team were a joy to be around they put on some good evening entertainment (not the west end) but kept everyone entertained day and night.The food was plentyful if a bit repetative no different to most places. Overall we had a fantastic two weeks.

Room Tip: The rooms on the left hand side seem to be the more favourable ones as they are away from the disco...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank isaidiwould
Lancashire
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I wasn't sure how to rate this hotel - we didn't enjoy it, but that's because we hadn't understood what kind of hotel it was, so maybe it's not fair to downgrade the Golf too far, because they did a good job with the room & food.

First big problem: it's noisy! We emailed for a quiet room over the pool before arriving, and received a prompt and charming reply granting our request. What I hadn't understood is that the hotel bar is next to the pool, so although the room was away from the disco, from 10:00 am to 11:00 pm, music blasts out all day, mostly covers of disco hits, which is so not my thing. After 11:00 there is 'quiet' noise from the bar and it's possible to sleep. The room was pretty much unusable from 9:00 PM to 11:00 with the LOUD shows, Bingo, Hokey-Cokey, Birdie Song & Karaoke from the Animation team, which of course, some people love. We found the pool area just too noisy to use - you couldn't get away from the racket at any spot in the garden, which is a shame because it's an attractive area. There is an aqua park on the other side of the garden which is equally loud. It's so loud I couldn't hear my own MP3 player at full volume! Take pool towels, by the way, they don't even rent them & you pay 1 dinar a day for the bed & mattress.

Second big problem: the hotel beach was foul. It is very small, with bar chairs jammed in next to the sunbeds, music thumps out from the bar all day and it is behind a watersports place, so there is the smell of boat fuel & the engine noise all day. Only good if you like drinking, smoking & chatting to the person one inch away from you all day. I hadn't understood that around the port area, each hotel has a tiny area of beach and you are stuck there. The public beach is not good - there is a lot of seaweed, and even more litter, and you are at the mercy of the hawkers. We managed to bribe our way into a quiet spot at another hotel, which saved the holiday (sorry, we promised not to get the beach attendant into trouble by saying where) but you couldn't rely on this, so be aware that you may not be able to find another spot if you don't like the noise at the hotel pool & beach. The beach faces east, and it 'closes' at 5:00 because it's in shadow after that.

On the plus side, although it is shabby, as people say, I thought the hotel was excellent value. The room was large and comfortable, the staff were really sweet and helpful, considering how hot and busy they all were, and overall everything worked. If you have any problems, let them know. I reported an electrical fault and someone came 30 seconds after I put the phone down.

The pool rooms face west, so are hot in the evening. On the one very hot day we had, the maid switched on the air con so the room was cool to come back to. There are good black out curtains if you need them. (The maid came every day & did a good job.) The bed was comfortable - firm, flat mattress and white cotton sheets. We threw in our down pillows at the last moment and will always do so again: they transformed the comfort of the bed, which had lumpy foreign pillows. There were two good reading lights, which was wonderful! There are no mosquitoes, so we didn't have to use our net or any sprays which was also wonderful. The fridge has a small icebox, which is handy, but there is no kettle so take your own. There is free wifi in reception, but but not in the rooms, so I couldn't work, which is a mixed blessing!

The food was delicious. We are fussy eaters, cooking everything from fresh at home. I'd eat a Marks & Sparks prepared meal, but I don't like most fast food. There were some horrible and odd items on the menu, but there was so much choice that you could be sure of finding something nice to eat. I had a couple of meals that were easily as good as I've had in restaurants. I was still finding new and delicious vegetable dishes on our last day (of 14!) so I highly rate the food. And, I agree with the other reviewers: the chips and ice cream are yummy! We found that by varying the time we ate by about ten minutes, we could miss the crowds, and that made the dining room experience more pleasant, so if you find it busy, try that.

Everything looked clean to me, but I didn't like the self service because could you be sure that every kid who had touched the service cutlery before you understood how important clean hands are? And I saw a few blokes wiping their noses and scratching before reaching for the servers. Luckily we had a bottle of hand sanitiser with us & used that after touching the cutlery. Maybe slightly paranoid, but we had no tummy troubles. I wish the hotel had the staff serve you, though.

So, overall, a good-value, clean and comfortable hotel with excellent food, but it is shabby and it is incredibly noisy. To sum up: cheap & cheerful.

Room Tip: The pool rooms on the west are the best. You can email & request one.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RomanticNovelist
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

eh I am going to sit down and do my proper review this week and let everyone know the real truth behind Tunisia and the Golf Residence. But ALL i can say is skip this destination. It is a bad hotel and so is the area. I was disgusted with the service and the state of the place. by irish standards this place does no better than budget maybe 2 stars. minus the pool area which is nice. like i said stand by for a full review on the truth here. thanks

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank adamkaye1984

Travellers are raving about these Port El Kantaoui hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Like most people I was apprehensive about staying here, we arrived late afternoon and were put at the front of the hotel ,I requested a room change as suggested on trip advisor to a pool view room and was told I could have one the following day, we moved rooms away from the disco the following day, the hotel itself was spotless and the towels and bed linen were changed daily,the beds comfortable and the room very clean if in need of some updating, the staff were great and helpful, buffet lunch and evening meal was good, a great selection even for three fussy teenagers ! (Tip the waiter in the restaurant and he saves your table every evening ), the animation team were excellent, plenty to do during the day, table tennis , volleyball, water polo etc, they also do the evening entertainment which can be a bit cheesy but good fun, remember people the animation team work from 9.30am to 12.00 in the evening, that's a pretty long day for most people and they do a excellent job, you can change money to dinar in reception daily and the exchange rate is good , you can hire a safety deposit box for less than £1 a day which is well worth doing for passports etc , the hotel is a five min walk from the harbour which is lovely to walk down to in the evening, thee is also a small theme park across the road which is free to get in , there is also opposite the hotel a water park , about £10 to get in and you can stay all day , so plenty to do out and about. all in all excellent value for money.
My one big moan : and it's not about the hotel , it's about there beach, I'm not really a beach dweller but thought I would spend at least one day down there, I wish I had not bothered, we arrived via the hotels horse and carriage at 9.30am and it was packed, there were not available sun loungers, only the double bed ones, I asked a member of staff for a parasol to shade part of it and was told no they did not have any, after roasting in direct sun we sat in the shade for cold drinks, my daughter went for a bottle of water with ten dinar and he told her he didn't have change and would bring it later, three times I asked him for the change and he just kept saying later ! In the dn I had to quite rude in asking for it, it was not about the money but just the principal I felt he was trying to take advantage, all in all the beach was dirty and unkept, with cigarette butts all over, and the staff were rude and ignorant, mu suggestion to the hotel would be employ some of the lovely staff from the hotel and put them in charge down the beach.
Just some small tips for travellers ; beware men on the street saying they work at your hotel and they are on a day off and will show you round, the take you up and down ally ways and then charge you stupid amounts of dinar, happened to two old ladies in our hotel, if you visit the medina in sousse , go without your personal possessions like jewellery, one man at the hotel had his gold chain ripped off is neck, we took off anything worth any value and only took a small amount of cash with us, I don't intend to worry anyone but like in any other foreign country be aware of your surroundings, it's a great places but it has issues like any where else in the world

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for pool view room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Cindy J
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Like all reviews there are some negative points, if you are expecting 5 stars, this is not the hotel for you. We found it value for money. Had an initial problem with our 2 rooms but following morning was moved to a really nice double family room and was then able to start to enjoy our holiday. Staff were really helpful, snack bar was enjoyable and our waiter in the restaurant Ahmed was wonderful . Hotel was always being cleaned so that was a bonus, couple of small negatives, 1-entertainment at night was poor, but take yourself down to the harbour as that's lovely, 2-could do with a lick of paint in some places as a bit pre dated. Overall value for money.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Frances2204
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My 16 th time here was great. Staff wonderfull service not to bad food shocking but if your fussy what do you expect!!! Maid service reception. Staff management great as always. Love this place the atmosphere is fantastic been at different times of year and meet some great people. The entertainment. Team mini more yaya and other guy work there buts off. Great location wither easy access to other places. The golf brow next to hotel has the best live bands singers on. Recommend this hotel to anyone if your expecting posh it's not but it's clean with the best people in it to make your holiday a good one...... See you in October....

Stayed June 2014
Royal Kenz Hotel Thalasso & Spa
Royal Kenz Hotel Thalasso & Spa
#3 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,432 reviews

Been to Golf Residence Hotel? Share your experiences!