“Astonishing View from the Top”
Review of Mount Nemrut

Mount Nemrut
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Adiyaman
Istanbul, Turkey
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Astonishing View from the Top”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

surrounded with the mountainous view and Euphrate river will make you spend a lot time here in the top of mount Nemrut. If you travel from Kahta, you can take dolmus (minibus) with a direction to Gerger and stop in the Karadut, it will cost you just 5 TL. then you have to hike about 15 km more on the top and do hitchhiking or either rent a car if you travel together. You need to pay for 5,5 TL (with student card) and 11 TL for adults. Make sure you reach there before sunset or sunrise. Moreover, wear a thick jacket, it's really chilling cold there even in the summer.

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Mount Nemrut”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

A must see, absolutely amazing place! 2000 years old ruins of the Commagene cult, huge statues of ancient Greek, Armenian, and Perisan gods. Acient history at the top of a mountain with amazing views. Mount Nemrut is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Definitely worth the trip to this part of Turkey. Try to catch the sun rise or sun set, its beauty is almost impossible to describe; also a must for those who love the outdoors. You can use Malatya as your base as it has the better road connection and hotels. We stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton Malatya.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Armin
Miami Beach, Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Must see site in Turkey! The number one for me!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have dreamt to go to Mt. Nemrut all my life and I was not disappointed. After 2 weeks of traveling western Turkey I must say this is the most interesting place by far! The views are truly spectacular as well. Make sure you have a good jacket and are dressed appropriately so being cold does not distract you from the experience. I also recommend hiking shoes. If you go up by the east side there are stairs only until certain point. If you do not have appropriate shoes I recommend going up and down via the west terrace that has stairs all the way to the top. If hiking up is too hard for you there are donkey taxi services available :) But It is better you just take your time to go up slowly and taking breaks to enjoy the amazing views! Also we got there over 2 hours before sunset and all the other people in the tour got tired and went down to the car way before sunset as it was too long to hang around as well as cold and a bit cloudy. They seemed quite annoyed to have to wait for me but I was not gonna come down anytime before sunset. So make sure everyone in your tour knows this is a sunset thing! It is totally worth it! I heard sunrise is great too but unless you are there in summer time or have the right clothes you might not enjoy it! Also be aware that this is a 6 to-7 hour tour as there are many stops on the way to Mt. Nemrut. Sunset tours leave around 3:30am and sunset tours leave around 2:00pm.

2 Thank daydreamjunky
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“So glad I went”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This was something I have wanted to do for years!! It lived up to my expectation, even though it was cloudy at both sunrise and sunset!
We arranged to go up at sunrise with our hotel. We got up at 4am, and drove the short way up to the base of the mountain. There was a tour group that arrived at the same time, so there was a crowd hiking up to the East summit. We failed to walk around the to west side, instead after all the pictures were taken, we headed back down. The path on the east side is easy going up about 1/2 way, then becomes a rocky, difficult path. Hiking shoes are best worn, although many of the women in the tour group were wearing inappropriate shoes.
We came back in the evening for sunset, but once again, it was cloudy! We hiked up the west side to the summit, on a much nicer path, although a bit longer hike.
This is a must see and so glad I hiked up both times! It was worth the effort.

1 Thank Anijo
GREECE
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 187 helpful votes
“THE TOP OF THE WORLD”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Be there during the sunset and you will never forget (so they say) Nemrut Dag. (dag=mount) You will not forget it anyway. Now BEWARE: The last three hundred meters is a very steep climb, take water with you or hire a mule from the tea house up (50 YTL). You will have to climb only the last 50 meters that are not that steep. Nemrut is 2300 meters above sea level so wear something thick, very thick. If it is windy you will remember me so mark my words (it was freezing) a lady even had ski gloves. At the beginning we laughed at her but afterwards we understood why she was laughing at us. From the photos you have the impression that the statues are bigger but as they are you see something that is extremely impressive. The Zeus statue was not on display because it was damaged from the snow. Buy the book from the tea house (I say tea house but don't despair it is one of the few places that serves alcohol.) you won't find it anywhere else. All the people get a bottle of wine from here and drink it during the impressive sunset. Impressive? It is a sunset like all the others but being there makes all the difference. I did not understand why we had to drink the wine only during the sunset. I drank it all the way down it was as tasty as ever and I arrived merrier.

3 Thank YakoDogiou