“Not the best unless russian or German”
Review of Artemis Princess

Artemis Princess
Ranked #42 of 371 Hotels in Alanya
South Wales
“Not the best unless russian or German”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We travelled with Thomas Cook (no leg room on plane) who's staff were great. On arrival we had a 3 hour transfer from Antalya Airport, arriving at the hotel about 5pm.
Reception staff very pleasent and attentive, on arrival in the room the electronic key fob wouldnt turn on the electric without baging and juggling, porter sent for maintenance who of course got it to work first time, "end of problem every thing fixed" not so after going for our meal had lots of trouble with it next day ended up with maitenance mans fob for the duration of stay that was one problem sorted.
Toilet seat kept falling off, couldn't get any one to fix it (language barrier). Didn't have a plug for the sink, not used as they thought I would flood hotel, didn't really matter as when you ran the water sink filled and took ages to run away, so could have still flooded the place.

The reseraunt staff not helpful as we couldn't speak Russian or German. I think we were seen as inconsequenstial as we were Brits. Went to the water cooler and got two glasses of water, manager started to shout you don't have all inclusive status you must buy all drinks including water. The food was not very enterprising, Chicken, Chicken and more Chicken, oh sorry forgot the Beefburger as the alternative main course ansome sort of meat in gravy next day which I think was the left over Beefburgers. Salads werevery good but you do want some meat as well. Couldn't get a cup of tea or coffee after dinner not served at all. Breakfast was not much better chips, hard boiled eggs and not very juicy tomatoes and cucumber. Had cornflakes but milk not very nice, bread was good so at least we some toast. Drinks in the resteraunt and hotel in general very expensive small glass of local white wine was 9 Turkish Lira which is about Pds Stg 4, water was about Pds Stg 1.30 for 500 mls.

Got told by one of the owners who I think may belong to the Russian Mafia that it was forbidden to bring in beverages or food "this a hotel you buy from me" the beverage I pointed out was water which is not a beverage in my eyes. Buying it outside you are able to get 1.5 ltrs for abou 50 pence. when we were checking out we went over to the shop and purchased some fruit and water and went back to the hotel to await pickup, wife tapped on shoulder and told no food and drink allowed explained we were leaving, then attitude changed. When in the reseraunt paying for drinks the "tip box" was pulled across bar an placed in front of me as a result no tip was left, don't like being pressured.

On th plus side Alanya quite a nice place, if you want good food would highly recommend "Thomas's Place" the staff and owner extremely helpfull and friendly, food came freshly cooked and very hot you are given home made Turkish bread and dips to start and you finish off with fresh fruit which are both included in the price off the meal.

At the end of the harbour by the passenger terminal we found a cafe and had the most wonderful toasty for lunch on very light bread and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Prices generally are on a par with the UK and in some cases even more expensive.

Getting around by Dolmus very cheap and easy but dont sit on the back seat as no hand rail, we hit a bump at speed and I was trown into the air and landed in a heap banging my back quite badly, driver was not very concerned. The staff in the hotel thought it was very funny

was speaking to another guest who was in the process of suing the manager for a fall he had while carrying his young daughter

My advice steer clear of this hotel, pay extra and get somewhere decent.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norwich
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We have recently spent a week at the Artemis Princess and as we booked it quite cheaply we were not expecting 5 star quality but we were expecting a little more for our money than we received.
We arrived to the hotel after a 3 hour transfer from the airport and a coach driver who had to ask at each hotel where the next one was.. good start!!! Anyway at 3am we pull up and are watched by the reception staff as we struggle with our cases, hence 1 pregnant person a 5 year old child, a lady of mature years and a young man. We get given a wristband and are handed 3 boxes, this a lunch box each as we turn up so late - 3 boxes but 4 people??? Anyway whilst sorting this out some residents turn up and are stopped by reception because they have brought some water bottles into the hotel. The reception staff will only allow them 1 water bottle and confiscate the others telling them they must buy from the mini bar if they want more!!! We then get taken to our room which is excellent location next to the pool and although a little basic, very clean and perfectly acceptable for our needs apart from one problem, there are four of us but only 3 beds!! I asked the porter where the other bed was he, called reception and then told us we must wait until tomorrow, too tired to argue we agree. The following morning I ask the maid for an extra bed, i get another PILLOW!!! Where's the rest of it....?? So I ask the manager, he hands me a key and tells me to look at another room which was bigger, i did so and it was bigger but still only had 3 beds. Anyway after another discussion i did get another bed but this should have never been the case especially as we were charged for 4 people!! When I take my son for lunch I did not realise the time and turned up at restaurant only to be told I must wait 10 more minutes, this was after I had got him some food but thankfully the manager took pity on my son and agreed to let him eat sooner!!!!!! The food was adequate and fab if you were German or Russian, otherwise the choices were very much the same, salad, chips rice and chicken, these being the main staple dishes. One morning they surpassed themselves with breakfast, blanched chips that were from the night before, boiled eggs and some sort of baked beans - homemade - do not eat they are vile!!!!!!! Me and my family are certainly not fussy eaters and are quite happy to eat most cuisines but even we drew the line at cold sprout salad ...yuk!! The only drinks you could help yourselves to was water, wine & juice, everything else you had to ask for, even coke and lemonade this was the case for all inc or F/B, H/B had to pay for all their drinks. Tea/ Coffee was only availbale for F/B at breakfast time, if wanted it at luch you had to pay!!!
I believe they also do not like the British to have all inclusive as they drink too much, also if you are all inclusive the bar shuts at 11.30pm and then you must pay. There are no play facilities for children but we were aware of this and luckily our child was more than happy to spend hours in the spotlessly clean pool. The hotel are not afraid to also ask what is in your bag in case you are sneaking in food or drink, however they have no rights on this and only police can ask what is in your bag!!! This hotel does not cater for familes of four in one room as were told by our rep but because holiday companies keep making the bookings the hotel are honouring them, but beware, I beleive there are only 1 or two rooms that can cater for four people in the whole hotel. The staff are pleasant although there are much emphasis on the German guests, the English are pretty much ignored, they are fabulous with children and make a fuss of them. The location is great you are in the middle of everything. The market on a Monday is just round the corner and worth a look. The costs outside of the hotel are the same as the UK for food and drink there is no difference, Alanya is known for it's expense as it caters for the scandnivian/German market and all places are about the same, make sure that you check your bills though as we got charged more than we had had a few times and had to point this out. Also do not buy from the Gypsy kids as you can be fined 500 lira if you are caught by the police, they come up to you in bars with necklaces etc. Alanya/Oba is a lovely resort and Thomas's place just outside the hotel is worth a drink and meal, the owner and staff were fantastic. For a lovely day out visit Dim Cay, for about 20 lira you get picked up taken to a beautiful river with retaurant where you can swim or use the pool with water slides and you get your lunch thrown as well, well worth it.
lastly dont forget your mozzy spray, they are rife and be warned you will be eaten alive!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Catfish10
Reviewed 3 July 2010

It was the best holiday I have been on in a while, very worth the money!

• Stayed June 2010
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2010

I booked the Artemis Princess for myself and my wife not knowing what to expect because of all the mixed reviews but I must say for the price we paid we got exceptional value for money. I looked at the location on google earth to get an idea of where we were in relation to the sea front and we were not dissapointed. Now on to the service and the food, It did`nt matter what time we went to meals either at the begining of meal time or near the end the food was always fresh and hot, To those british holiday makers that want full english go to blackpool, The staff do the best they can to cater for all nationalities and they do a wonderful job. The domestic staff are always friendly and cheerful,The only thing I will say is if you are going with a few kids then I would definately go All Inclusive because as one reviewer says it can get expensive. We went full board and was pleased when we found out that the beer and wine were included in the meal times and we werent tied to the hotel in the evening. If you have a wife or partner who is a bag or shoe or jewellery addict then Do not leave the hotel. I am going to finish this review on a high I would recomend this hotel to any one for value for money, location, ameneties, and shopping, food and service.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mj12953
Blackburn
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Just got back for a 2 week stay at the Artemis Princess, had a great time staff are all friendly and hotel nice. Will def be going back and will recommend to others.
The only thing was the photographer didn't come any where near us was it cause we are English and there are Germans and Russians also staying at the hotel. All staff speak good english and can't do enough for you.

Thanks to all who made our holiday great hope to see you all again soon x

• Stayed June 2010
turkey
Reviewed 22 June 2010

The majority of staff were unhelpful, this hotel caters for all inclusive travellers, it is expensive for drinks & snacks to the half board holiday maker. The food & entertainment leave much to be desired, the atmosphere is sadly lacking. The impression we came away with was that the hotel just wanted to make as much money from you as possible.
The hotel looked tired in comparison to others nearby. Thank goodness for the Angel bar, just across the road, it was a welcome relief to get good service, friendly banter & entertainment from their staff. If you want something more English, then the Eden bar at the top of the road is worth a visit.
The domus bus service was good, regular & cheap.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2010

We stayed at the artemis princess in June last year and we have just come back from another 2 week stay 2 days ago,this hotel has been pulled down for no reason,i can assure anyone reading this that there is nothing wrong with it at all,the food is very nice,the staff are great,the rooms are abit basic but very comfortable,Everybody aways fears tummy bugs when going away,not at this hotel though,i have never had any problem or heard of any from anyone,last year myself and my girlfriend/now my wife stayed here and loved it that much that we decided to take my 2 children this year,we did run into a problem this year we forgot the charger for our camera and i thought well that the holiday was ruined,not the case i mentioned it to the restaurant manager and before i knew it i had not one but 3 managers on the case all 3 were very concerned and sorted it out for me i even got a free ride to a place that had them,very good of them!,another thing i will mention is that the hygiene standards when it comes to food are outstanding,no cross contamination here for sure the kitchen staff are very well trained and very proud of what they do,i wanted to go back again this month but it was all booked up so as apposed to staying at another hotel i will wait for a few weeks at leased then i know what i am walking into,A BIG THANKYOU TO ALL AT THE ARTEMIS PRINCESS FOR ANOTHER GREAT STAY,oh one more thing,there is a restaurant bar across the road,THE ANGEL don't pass by this one and if you want to book any trips go for the one opposite the hotel,i would not recomend any of the others,Thanks to all that have read this and it you are staying have a nice time..we did!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family