“You get what you pay for”
Review of Grand Okan

Grand Okan
Ranked #17 of 372 Hotels in Alanya
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Positive:
Good Hotel location next to Kleopatra Beach
Nice pool area with bar
Good price 392 €uro for 7 nights (June 2nd - June 9th 2013)
Clean rooms

Negative:
Food. You pay for a half board, but the dinner buffet is tastless.
The desert apperance looks really buitifull, but you better don't be fooled. I recomend that you rather stick to the fruit.
The spa is ok, but the personel in the spa don't speak any english at all.
(I rather recoment the Spa at Experia which is 1 min walk from the hotel.)

Conclusion:
All in all you get what you pay for. The hotel is not bad, but plan to eat out. The only day with nice food is on Thursdays when they have turkish night with keab, grilled fish and turkish desert.
Unfortunatly the turkish night is only once a week.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sigmund S
grandokan, General Manager at Grand Okan, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Good Afternoon Sigmund S,

Thankyou very much for your review for The Grand Okan Hotel.

We are always pleased to hear about the good points and the not so good points, in order to better ourselves.

Your positive points I agree with !

Your negative points regarding the food here, are correct, according to your personal taste. The desserts are made especially to taste and have less sugar in required by dietary needs. Unlike yourselves, many of our other guests staying at the same time, enjoyed the buffet during the week and not just on Turkish nights.

This year we plan more theme evenings with different dishes, this will give more variety to the buffet.

I have also passed on your recomendations regarding the Spa personel to the owner of the Spa.

I certainly do not agree with your derogatory comment ' you get what you pay for ' The Grand Okan Hotel gives a very good service in a lovely location at an inexpensive price.

Should you decide to come and visit us again, I would appreciate it if you would contact me beforehand, maybe we can then help you to change your mind about your stay.

Until the next time....

Amanda Özsoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Finnish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Just got back from my trip to Alanya. Stayed 5 nights in Grand Okan Hotel because of the glowing reviews here. I have to say, I made a big mistake.

Location
- ok location, about 20 minutes walk to Town Center, near the beach. But not right on the beach.

- Breakfast Buffet: same menu everyday for the 5 days I stayed. You will get sick of it. Salad, bread, omelette (ham, cheese, tomatoes), tasteless pancakes, hard-boiled eggs. Same food. Everyday.
- Dinner: same as breakfast. Same food everyday. For the 5 dinners I had there, each night had salad, whiting fish, rice, tasteless boiled fish, spaghetti in tomato sauce. The only difference would be meat. One night they had chicken, the other they had turkey, and another with meatballs. But everything else is the same.

The taste of the food? Not good. If your staying for 3 breakfasts, maybe you won't get sick and tired of eating the same food. Dinner? There are a lot of restaurants near the hotel. Better go to any one of them.

Room
- average size, no comforter, bring your own blanket, only thin, over-washed blanket is provided

Customer Service
- Almost non-existent. The receptionist's German was bad, English was horrible. These are the only languages they know aside from Turkish.
- No attempt in welcoming or saying hello or smiling back or asking what they can do to help.
- Had to change rooms 2 times, we had a total of 3 rooms before we got a proper one.

Here's the story of their customer service, which almost ruined my vacation.

We arrived at the hotel at 10 PM, Friday night, exhausted from a 5-hour flight plus a 2-hour drive from the airport. The guy who was manning the reception stared at us as we walked in. Stared. And didn't say a word. No hello, no good evening, no welcome, none. He stared blankly. I gave him a smile and said hello, we're checking in. He said "Passport". To make it short, he was curt during the entire conversation, without any attempt to be friendly or warm or welcoming.

I asked for a sea-view room and he said he'll have to charge us 40€ more for the 5 nights. That was fine, and I paid. I asked for a receipt and he looked surprised. He took a notepad, wrote "40€ for sea-view" and gave it to me. As I was very exhausted, I just let it go but told myself I will get a proper receipt from him in the morning.

So we went to our room, and surprise. It wasn't a sea-view room. It was a tree-view room. Because I did not want to yell at the receptionist, I told my fiance and that it's better for him to handle this one because I was running out of patience. So my fiance told him, the room does not have a sea-view. The reception, again, did not say anything. He looked like we inconvenienced him and gave the 40€ back and gave us a new room. I already had a feeling that he was going to give us the worst one.

No surprise. He gave us a room at the end of the hall of the ground floor, right beside the maid's room where you can see all the cleaning stuff splayed out. Tiny, dirty room. Dirty floor, someone left 2 pieces of women's clothing on the closet, used stockings in the drawer, non-working fridge and aircon, 2 beds thrown together to make a double. At this point, I just wanted to scream. But since I didn't want to ruin my vacation, I tried to stay calm. I decided to have the aircon fixed and sort it out in the morning.

Morning came and I politely but firmly told the receptionist that I was not happy with the room he gave and listed out each and every wrong thing in this room. He said he'll have it cleaned and have the aircon and fridge fixed. But I didn't want to do this anymore. I told him I want him to give me a proper clean room with functioning aircon and fridge and one bed. And he finally did. The only reason why he did it? While we were discussing, his manager was walking behind him.

The manager
- we didn't actually get to interact with her that much, only spoke for a couple of minutes about a tour company that went bust. She was nice, and wanted to make sure we had no problems with our pick-up service.

If the staff of this hotel can practice customer service, it might have a better future. I've traveled the world and stayed in all kinds of accommodation. It doesn't matter if you're staying in a hostel or 5-star hotel or a shack. Customer service is very important because it can make or break your vacation.

Will not go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank stompingon
Good Morning 626AngelA626 ,

Thankyou very much for your extensive review about your stay here at The Grand Okan Hotel.

I am very sorry you feel you didn't receive the correct service and I would have been happier if you had asked for me from the start. Then maybe the start of your holiday would have not been so traumatic. I would like to point out some points which you made in your review.

First of all, we don't claim to be ' on the beach '. The journey to the center of Alanya can be made by a steady safe walk which takes about 20 minutes, with shops and restaurants on both sides of the road, and / or by taxi and local bus.

With regards to the breakfast Buffet...that is exactly what it is. A Buffet ! You are able to choose on a daily basis different things, not necessarily eating the same things every day. There is a different choice of warm things to eat, including three different type of egg, fresh fruit, choice of cornflakes / museli and dried fruits, flavoured yoghurts. As we state that the breakfast is a continental one, the choice of cheese etc is there every day.

Regarding the evening dinner, there is a choice of fish, chicken / turkey and beef / liver /
lamb to choose from. Of course, it is up to a certain person's taste buds whether you like it or not.

Our rooms are 18 square meters. There are comforters, they are in the wardrobe in every room.

I myself, as General Manager, am available nearly all day. I am sure if you would have asked for me we could have sorted most things out before you felt like this.

I do, however, take your comments about the customer service received very seriously, and we have already started a different training scheme for all our staff to help.

I hope that, should you choose to come and stay with us again, you will let me know. Maybe then I can make it a little more memorable for you.

Looking forward to seeing you sometime in the future,

Kuopio, Finland
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

We decided to choose Grand Okan Alanya because of the good reviews written here. The reviews seems to be even too good, but after staying in this hotel one have to agree with them. Much has been already said, but here are something that we noticed.

The location: just next to the Cleoparta beach but still in quite peaceful and clean area. Please be careful when crossing the street: nobody won't slow down even if they see you.

The food: plenty of excellent salads to start and good variety different main cources to continue. A bit more spicier meat could be a good idea. The dessers were very good.

The staff: really good professionals working here.

The room: our room was facing to the sea, which was a good choice. The room was spotless, but quite small (18 m2).

The other people:most of the other guests were from Scandinavia or Germany. And yes, the folks staying here were bit older. There are also younger couples, but no families with many children.

Massage and spa services: there's a small desk selling different spa services at the floor level. We choosed hamam with massage, but it wasn't that splended experience. A guy took us to the another hotel just cross the street where were tried to relax by following quite tight schedule. It was ok after all, but not worth the price.

In this review I tried to be critical. To be honest, if we go again to Alanya Grand Okan is our choice.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kulkija_J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

5th time at the The Grand Okan, I stayed there with a friend the last 2 weeks of April.
What can say more than what I already said?

Perfect location, just a few meters from the beautiful Cleopatra beach and 10 mins walk to the town centre ant the buzzing harbour.

Immaculately clean room, with a modern style bathroom, cleaned on daily basis to a very high standard.

Friendly and helpful staff.

Delicious and varied food. Impressive salads buffet with yummy turkish specialities. The taste of kısır (finely ground bulgur with parsley and tomato paste) is still in my pallet.

Impeccably clean pool and pool area.

Alanya is a charming town. The stunning medieval castle and the Seljuk octagonal Red Tower are worth a visit.
Sapadere Canyon is a nice refreshing day out.

I highly recommend Green Beach Restaurant and Villa Okan for delicious meals. A dinner at the Villa Okan is a must: delicious food, lovely atmosphere, prefect service and heavenly complementary dessert!

I can't wait to stay at the grand Okan.
It's a hotel I highly recommend for a nice and quiet holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Samir A
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My partner and i have stayed at the grand okan hotel alanya now on 2 occasions once in jan 2013 and again in April for 16 days and cannot fault this hotel in any way,the hotel manager and staff are very friendly and helpful at all times they make your stay very welcome,the food is very good with excellent choices both at breakfast and evening meal , the rooms are kept clean to a high standard, the hotel has a nice pool with drinks bar which you can sit at whilst in the pool and have a drink. The hotel is in a perfect location right on to the famous kleopatra beach , also right outside the hotel is a bus stop every ten min you can get a bus that will take you to oba or the centre or harbour for about 1 lira although it is a nice walk to the beautiful harbour about 20min. I cannot fault this hotel in any way both my partner and my self feel very at home whilst staying hear we are hoping to Stay again in sept for 17 nights

Super hotel

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Keko1
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I have stayed here about 10 times for both business and holidays. Food quality and choice is exceptional: breakfast consists of a terrific range of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, continental meats & cheeses, pastries, cake, a variety of bread, jams, honey, omlettes, eggs, bacon, sausages, tea, coffee & fruit cordials. Dinner consists of the an enormous fresh salad bar of about 40 different dishes, both sophisticated and simple: green olives stuffed with red peppers, spring onions, green & red capsicums, egg, chicken & apple, fish, tomatoes, and seasonal vegetables most of which are grown in and around Alanya. Two soup choices each night; and main courses consist of a range of about 10 dishes: each night there was at least one chicken, beef, fish, pasta with rice, potatoes and various seasonal vegetables. And if you like desserts, then you won't be disappointed with the quality or variety.

The hotel's rooms are immaculate: firm and comfortable king-size beds, plenty of room, tiled floors, a great shower-room with a large walk-in high pressure shower, a nice size balcony, quiet, excellent air-conditioning, hair drier and lots of electrical sockets for charging phones, etc. Towels and sheets changed every 3 days or more often, if you prefer; the rooms are cleaned spotlessly every day.

The reception and bar area is, again, immaculately clean with big comfortable sofas and chairs, and a lovely, shaded outside mezzanine area overlooking the swimming pool. A great pool and terrace with plenty of room for sun-lounging or reading in the shade. Plenty of spaces in the free hotel car park if you have a car.

The people: they are great and couldn't be more helpful and accommodating. If you need help you'll get it immediately; and if you want to be left alone there's no intrusion or pushiness. The staff speak English, and the General Manager who runs the hotel is a UK national and has lived in Alanya for 14 years. Amanda is terrific and couldn't be more helpful. If you have any issues or need help, it gets sorted immediately.

The Grand Okan is next to Kleopatra beach and has it's own beach area with sun-loungers and independent beach restaurant. It is in a superb central location. It's a 20 minute walk along the main shopping Boulevard to Alanya's old harbour and a 40 minute walk along the promenade out of town to Alanya's yachting marina. The local buses stop directly outside the Grand Okan: they go everywhere, including to Alanya harbour in 5 minutes, they are air-conditioned, clean, cheap and there's no need to walk in Alanya if you prefer not to. I didn't use the Spa or any fitness equipment there might be in the hotel, so I can't comment on these facilities. But the rest of the Grand Okan is terrific.

Room Tip: Your choice: facing the sea gives a beautiful sea view and has the sun all day. Facing inland gives...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ColinMT
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Positives are it is clean.

Negatives are:
food - with the exception of the salads which were good the cooked food was TERRIBLE
staff - no interest in being there or being helpful
room - small and noisy facing the road. Beach facing may have been better.
wifi - works only in the lobby
location - close to the beach and not much else

I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank unial
grandokan, General Manager at Grand Okan, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Good Afternoon Unial,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to review The Grand Okan Hotel. I am sorry to hear that during your stay, the high quality of service and cleanliness enjoyed by the other guests didn't meet your expectations. The room you reserved on the internet was exactly the same as the one you received. You mentioned that the location was close to the beach and not much else ?? The famous Damlataş caves, Alanya Museum and cinema / aquapark are all 5 minutes walk away and the town center is 15 minutes stroll with shops and restaurants all the way. There you would have seen the harbour with a selection of culture, bars / restaurants and discos.
I am unable to comprehend why you didn't ask to see me to discuss with me the problems you had in the hotel. Although your stay was very short, it is very important to receive your feedback while you are here in the hotel, to give us a chance to rectify any problems you incurred. That is one of my funtions in the hotel ! I very much hope you had a good journey home and in spite of everything written, I hope you will give us a chance again when you are in Turkey.