“YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET..BUT DEMAND MAIN BLOCK ROOM!!!”
Review of Beach Club Doganay

Beach Club Doganay
Ranked #59 of 372 Hotels in Alanya
bedfordshire
“YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET..BUT DEMAND MAIN BLOCK ROOM!!!”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Well I will start with the bad points but will finish with the good as they both equal themselves out.
BAD - on arrival if you are allocated a room in A block NOT the main block DO NOT accept the room. This block has smaller, older and many are interconnecting rooms. Ok if your a large family party but not if your next door to strangers. We arrived in room a311, carpets stained, pubic hair in shower, around toilet and bathroom floor. Toilet bowl stained. No bath only stand up shower not good for our 6 yr old. No sheets on bed, only 1 thin blanket. The interconnecting door led from our bedroom into next doors toilet/bathroom. Noise from dual carriage even at night is very loud. We arrived at 00.30am exhausted, wanted to sort cleanliness of room and noise of road til the morning. However next doors residents returned at 1.00am worst for weather as the male began vomitting. Due to the Interconnecting room it sounded like he was in the room with us. At 230am I had had enough and went to reception to complain. I met a group of English women and explained the cleanliness and situation of room whilst waiting for the male receptionist to finish booking them in so I could complain. To cut a long story short Because I had told the group of women what our room was like when I eventually got to speak to the male receptionist he said that he would not change the room because I had spoken to the English group and that the room is what a standard room is like and that i shouldnt speak too much to other people And walked off. My husband ret'd to reception at 3am, after I was in tears and vomitting still continuing as well as hearing every single body function noise that takes place in a toilet... surprise surprise we were promised a room change the following morning at 12..
We also spoke to our rep Karen in the morning who said that she had never had a complaint in the 10 years she had been working here..she obviously hasn't read trip advisor. Anyway we were given a room in the main block, floor 4. WHAT A DIFFERENCE.. bath and shower, double the wardrobe space, sheets and quilts, no road noise and NO INTERCONNECTING DOOR!!
Other bad points are the pools both indoor and outdoor were FREEZING. Every nationality complained about the temperature of the pool it literally took ur breath away.
Staff were hit and miss majority were very ignorant towards English especially evening restaurant/bar staff.
Beach bar/grill head chef was extremely rude to residents and would clear away food early and refuse to cook!! He would close bar/water fridge nearly an hour earlier than advertised.

GOOD POINTS
Animation team were very friendly and good with the children.
Rear pool bar/grill staff very polite and regularly kept the flow of food going.
The young midday restaurant staff were extremely polite/ helpful. Food at lunchtime was often better than the evening.
Food overall was average and you need to get at main restaurant at 6.30pm to get the best, hot food..
Weather was fantastic, beach clean and plenty of beds.

Overall I would return to this hotel in October for some winter sun due to the bargain price. I would never pay to go peak times. This is NOT a 5* it is a 3*. We tipped our favourite waiter who looked after us in the evening and lunchtime sittings, this guaranteed good service,def worth paying a few euros!! REMEMBER STAY IN MAIN BLOCK!!

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank dontberippedoff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Hotel dogonay beach club ıs a lovely hotel, ı would class ıt as a 4 * , good entertaınment , lovely frıendly staff very helpful, morat receptıonıst very good englısh and very helpful, ıf any problems managment ın hotel are very keen to help and sort out your problem, we have spent 2wks at doganay hotel and have enjoyed very much, but the food could have a bıt more varıety, we found an execellent tour operator 200m from hotel just around the corner behınd hotel, BUGRA TOURS VERY CHEAP AND HELPFULL, ask for TOM......... very gud englısh understand what you want very well, you can hıre cars,motorbıkes,quads, also boat trıps, turkısh baths, aqua park wıth bungee jump , dolphın park, raftıng, jeep safarı and dıvıng, theır are also many other excursıons avaılable. We have experınced some of these trıps and have enjoyed.........JO & NEIL ......

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NEILGALLONI
Stow-on-the-Wold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2011

As with many hotels in Turkey 5* means probably 3*. Food and evening entertainment very good, though a little samey after a week.Arrived at 2 am in morning to be told rooms not ready and following day that although booked 2 separate room would have to take family room for est of stay. In September mainly Russians (very rude and most seem to smoke all the time) and German guests. I British boy for my 8 year old to play with who both thought day time kids club not worth joining. Facilities good, except thrown out of adults pool at 5 pm to get ready for evening meal and kids pool at 5.30 to clean it. hotel very much run for staff who keep telling you you cant do this or can't sit here (mainly herded together at so don't have to clean all the tables, overcame this by sitting with Scandinavian huge basket ball team). Basically an Eastern European hotel with standards and courtesy to match. Many other hotels much better suited to British holiday ways in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms small for supposed 5* Put into family room with sliding door. Wife really chuffed.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Cotswoldfamily53
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

dont believe all the reviews we had a great family holiday food and drink was good. something for everyone animation team were amazing and hotel staff couldnt do enough for us.
for the price we paid we will definitely be going back. the kids loved the waterslides and slush puppies. bottles are water were available all day and bar is 24 hour cocktails were lovely.

Room Tip: the rooms at the reception block are better
4 Thank linda f
Leicester
Reviewed 18 August 2011

On arrival our room was not ready, and we had to wait a long while before it was. I have a 7 year old son who was very tired as we had arrived at the hotel early morning after a long flight and transfer from the airport. We had to sit in the lobby waiting for our room to be ready with our luggage.
We finally got the room after 2 hours of waiting, to discover the room was very small, with one single and one double bed, for a standard family room. When I went to speak to the reception asking for a bigger or different room, as there was four of us, I was told to stop complaining and to enjoy my holiday! When I asked for information about the hotel, about where everything was, the manager was very cheeky and said
"The bed is there, the bathroom is there. What did you want me to tell you?"
The reason I went to ask was because we were not given any information about times for breakfast, lunch and other facilities in the hotel. Then he finally gave me a leaflet regarding the facilities.

Food was OK. The menu was sort of the same everyday and there wasn't much choice for vegetarians unless you love salads, and rice and chips.

The hotel had everything, the beach was only a minute away. We were entertained every night by 'The Animation Team' who were the only friendly people, as the rest didn't speak much English.
Overall the holiday was brilliant, but we had problems when checking out as we were literally locked out of our room.
When we went to inquire we were asked to pay extra money, as we were meant to have had checked out earlier. After paying €50 we were given back our room card to get our luggage, while we were doing that the cleaners were rudly banging on our door telling us we had to get out.

I would reccomend the hotel, but a good idea would be to look for information for the hote, as none is given to you.

3 Thank Jodie B
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My family and i booked this trip, hoping for a nice time, nice weather and 5 star luxury.
Be warned, though. 5 star hotels in Alanya are not even close to the standards of European hotels with the same rating. The hotel looked good, lots of nice facilities e.g. fanced soccer field, tennis court indoor pool and turkish bath. And thus far the luxury was fine,
However, when we arrived, my parents, my girlfriend and our 10 months old son, we got the keycards to our rooms. At first the rooms seemed alright, but we soon discovered all the little things weren't in order. You had to put your key card in, to power the room. Which is fine and understandable, but annoying. As the temperature was 40+ degrees, and even to a sky high 47 degrees celsius for a couple of days. I went to the reception to ask for an extra card to leave en the slot to keep the aircondition running, because the immense heat sometimes were too much for our 10 months old son. After speaking to three different people at the reception desk, and finally finding someone who understood english well enough to take care of the problem, i got my extra card. Appearently the cleaning staff didn't think i was entitled to have more than one card so the next day after they cleaned the room, my extra card was missing from the slot and the room nowhere cool enough. I went back to the reception and spoke to 3-4 people none of them capable of understanding english. I also tried German which didn't do me any good either. I did finally get yet another extra card, though. But guess what happened the next day, and the day after that...........................!!!! I finally gave up...
Also i spend three days asking for the electric kettle that was supposed to be in the rooms, and It's never appeared. Luckily some other guests didn't use theirs, and I borrowed it from them, as wee needed it to make baby food and clean pacifiers and bottles.
Generally the lingual skills of the reception staff is AWFULL!!! The waiters in the restaurant aren't too good either but they are better than the young turkish high-school-summer-jobbers at the reception desk. Whenever you go there with a problem you have to go through 2-4 people that will each understand a little bit of what you are saying and the put the pieces together in turkish... and they still don't understand.
I'm not the only one saying this.. Everyone i spole with had the same problem. Englishmen, germans, Swedes, Norweigians, Danes etc.

Another thing on my list is the food.
I've read really bad reviews of the food here and they are not fair. There is a huge variety of turkish food. However, it gets really boring after a week. It consists mostly og Meze (turkish word for spanish tapas i guess), then a lot of stews, bread and cakes.
It is all beautifully presented and had good taste. Meat is more or less abscent, though. chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken, oh yes!!! And a great selection of intestines!! Liver in 20 ways, chicken hearts and kidneys... I ate it all and quite enjoyed it, despite the lack of proper meat, but I'll eat anything that's not insects or snakes... But I have a background as a chef, and I could see the problem here. some of the food was too authentic and too cheap for european guests, really! Then they one night free at their so-called A La Carte restaurant. A La Carte, meaning from the card (menu) and more exclusive than the buffet??? It is not!! Not a Doganay anyway. The table was nicely set, and the waiters put in more of an effort, except when our waiter droppet a dirty tomato filled fork on my girl friends dress and failed to apologize?!!??! He probably didn't know the word.... Anyways the food was the same things i'd seen on the buffet, just arranged on a plate and served at the table. Dessert was watermelon and plums all just stacked on a plate to share.

The last thing i want to warn about is the drinks alchoholic and non-alchoholic. We didn't come there to drink and we didn't except for a few drinks since it was all inclusive. After two days they had run out of rum and Gin leaving whiskey and some unknown turkish stuff for the guests to drink. And they failed to fill up the stock before we left. Also the first couple og days there were kiwi, peach and cherry juice all cold and nice, of course cold bottles of water and slush ice machines at each pool and bar. Really nice actually. As long as it lasted!!! One by one the kiwi, peach and cherry juices ran out, leaving only warm orange juice, luke water and quickly emptied slush ice machines for thirsty guests in the sunny 40+ degrees weather.

There are many more thing that I would like to warn about, but I think this draws a picture of a hotel that clearly doesn't live up to the standard of a 5 star hotel and really isn't worth the money. I'm usually not easy to dissapoint but this was far from i'd expect even from a 3 star hotel. It's seems like they rate hotels for their amount of facilitites alone and not skills and professionalism of the staff!!

The waiters and animation team were really, really nice people and they made for the best experience!

10 Thank kvs30
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My first trip to Türkey was to this hotel, the best experience ever, they are very guestfree and sweet people at Hotel Doganay, the hotel is big and beautiful with all kinds of activity for all ages, lovely restaurants with great türkish food and drinks and the accomandation is brilliant, clean and tidy. This is a experience that I would love to share with good friends in the future and will rekommand to every one, who want a trip beyónd the usual with no regrets what so ever.
Animation team Rocks, very funny young people...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family