“Awesome”

Ranked #54 of 372 Hotels in Alanya
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Awesome”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Awesome holiday, as a family of four we had a really good holiday, honestly no complaints! Relaxed family holiday, lots of kids, both of our kids made lots of friends and enjoyed the animation team, the animation team were hard working and really nice people, the food was great loads to choose from and always lots available,we would go back and the kids said the same, enjoy it people we did :-)

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Jesmad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We went to Beach Club Doganay June 21-28.6.2014 for 7 days with 2 kids (7,10). Arrival was at the new Gazipaša Airport which is small and flexible when there is little traffic. It took us 70 minutes to the hotel.
Hotel was not as good as advertised in tripadvisor. It must have been better some years ago as 2012 tripadvisor results are shown on their wall. Biggest disappointment was the rooms. My experience is limited to family rooms. We had to change the room next day to arrival. We checked another room until accepting the third room as fairly satisfactory. First two rooms on the first floor had air-condition , smell of sewer in toilets and paper thin walls. The one room we finally had air-condition working other weaknesses were present (sewer, fridge not working)in that too. Big minus is also lack of room WIFI although tour operator mentions this as an asset. Beds are rock hard. Hotel advertises in their webpages orthopedic beds but they are as orthopedic as I am an astronaut. Rooms are totally outdated and could be expected in 3* hotel, not 5* as hotel advertises itself.
Alanya city center is 7 km far and is easily reachable through minibus #50.
Food is quite good and a lot to choose from, BBQ mostly chicken or cheap minced meat with with little stony type of things stucking between teeth . Would have preferred some Döner kebab but was served only once during Turkish night on Tuesday. Visitors from other hotels are certainly not welcomed. We had some some serious discussions with beach boys who were quite rude in throwing out our guests although they were only spending some time with us and taking a swim , not using services. We had an excellent cleaning service from Nazife who decorated our room with towels in different theme each day. Visitors maybe 60% Russians and rest Nordic countries + Turkish. Gym is air-conditioned and you can do basic training but certainly far from a good Gym although there is a helpful instructor present. Many of the reception staff are trying but their hands are pretty tied up making constructive decisions and need to contact superiors even with small things.
I must agree with recent 2014 tripadvisor writers/contributors that this hotel must change in attitudes and really needs a renovation to rooms. Would definitely not go back- unfortunately.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Erkki2
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I, both in our 60's, stayed at this hotel last year for 10 days and returned this year because we had such good memories of the hotel. I reviewed it on here then (May 2013) but I am sorry to say that this year's experience did not live up to those memories.
We arrived about 2:30am on Wed 4th June to be put in a totally unsuitable room on the 7th floor - The lift only goes to the 6th. We had to climb a poorly lit spiral staircase, with a loose and rickety handrail that began on one side, then part way up, stopped and continued on the other side. My wife suffers with arthritis in her knees and it took both the porter and myself to help her up those stairs. The handrail was so wobbly I wouldn't let my wife even hold onto it. The porter told me that this was only for tonight and to go to reception at 11:00 and we would be given another room. The en-suite shower room was tiny, the shower did work but not well and the sink, even with the plug inserted, leaked water all over my feet.
This, by the way, is supposed to be at a 5 star hotel. This room? I would be being kind if I gave it 1 star.
In the morning I was at reception at 11:00 asking for another room. The first man I spoke to, looked very harassed, he didn't seem to know what to do and called someone who I assumed was the reception manager. This 'gentleman' messed around on the computer then told me the company we had booked with had only booked an 'economy room' and those on the 7th floor were their 'economy rooms'.
A 5 star hotel with 'economy rooms'? To say the least I was skeptical. I believe these 7th floor rooms are 'staff quarters' and are certainly NOT 5 star guest rooms - economy or otherwise.
He then did something else on the computer using the mouse, then he turned the screen round so I could see it and pointed to what purported to be my booking. This showed the 'Room Type' as 'Econ'. The background colour on the rest of the booking was white, while the 'room choice' was on an orange background - You are reading this using a computer, so need I say more?
I told him I was not prepared to allow my wife to risk those stairs again and that the room was totally unacceptable. He said he "Wanted to help us" and he could arrange a room in the hotel next door, the Blue Fish, a 4 star hotel that they also owned. We would still have full use of the facilities of both hotels, and he would also offer us a free meal at a top restaurant they owned in Alanya, with free transport there and back.
Frankly I was quite sure that this 'economy room' excuse was a load of rubbish and the hotel was just overbooked, so I called his bluff. I asked how much extra did I have to pay for a proper room in the Doganay?
At this he had to admit that they didn't have a room for us at the Doganay. I then asked if we would be staying at the Blue Fish for the rest of our holiday and he said that we would.
I returned to the 7th floor room with a porter and all of our bags were transferred down to reception, where they were put onto a large 'sack truck' type of truck. They were then pushed up the long sloping drive to the service road outside the front of the hotel, along to the entrance to the Blue Fish, then down their steep slope and through a garden to the hotel entrance. The porter then, after some discussion at reception was given a key. He took me to a 3rd floor room with a balcony and a view of the rear pool at the Doganay. The room was clean and appeared acceptable. The room sorted I returned to the Doganay, where my wife was waiting for me, for lunch. After lunch I took my wife up the slope to the road and down the ceramic tiled (ok in the dry but I wouldn't want to use it if it had been raining) steep slope to the Blue Fish to show her the room. Most of the rest of the day was spent unpacking and sorting out our things. so that took care of Wednesday.
One of the main reasons for our return booking was the excellent Spa and Massage centre in the basement. I have had a back problem for over 40 years and last year a course of 5 massages there did more for that problem than the doctors and Osteopaths in the UK have done for me in all those 40 years. I just wish I could find a Turkish Massage parlour in the UK.
On Thursday we had breakfast at the Blue Fish then visited the Spa at the Doganay to book another course of massages. The price was considerably higher than last year but still, in my opinion, worth every penny. The rest of the day was spent 'chilling out' but when we returned to the Blue Fish, I found our room key (Electronic) didn't work. Down to reception where they re-programmed it for me.
Friday, an early massage and then we caught a 'Dolmus' (missed the free bus) into Alanya. Returned just in time to catch lunch, then went back to our room to 'freshen up'. Once again the room key didn't work so off down to reception where they again re-programmed it. I did complain that this had happened yesterday, but no one seemed bothered about this.
After a shower I was laying down on the bed when the phone rang. I picked it up and could hear someone talking to someone else at the other end, but they didn't speak to me, so I hung up. A couple of minutes later the phone rang again. It was reception at the Doganay who, after checking my name, just said "You coming back to Doganay, now". After trying to find out what was going on, I told the person on the phone I would come to the Doganay to sort out what was happening. My wife was sitting on the balcony, so I told her where I was going and set off down stairs. I was stopped in reception by the receptionist who said someone was coming from the Doganay to get my luggage. I told her I was going next door to sort this out, but she insisted I stayed there. A porter arrived and wanted to go up to the room. I told him that No-One was going to my room until I knew what was going on. Then another porter arrived with someone from reception, who had obviously been called by the receptionist at the Blue Fish. The reception guy from the Doganay then said "We go and get your luggage from the room, you are coming back to the Doganay". By now I was getting just a little annoyed. I pointed at the two porters "You two" I said, "Stay there. No-one is going to my room, my wife is on the balcony with a towel around her although by now she is probably getting dressed, so NO-ONE is going to that room". I then turned to the reception guy. "You! Come with me!" I led him to some seating in reception and I must admit, he got both barrels. I told him I knew the Doganay had lied to me, because I had it in writing on the paperwork I had with me, that we had booked a standard room at the Doganay and I didn't like being lied to. I had been told we would be at the Blue Fish for the whole of our holiday so we had unpacked, so now we had to re-pack before luggage was ready to be moved. Also I wanted to know where the room at the Doganay was, because it was going to have to be approved by me before I was prepared to accept it. He phoned the Doganay and verified the room we would be going into was a proper guest room in the 'newer. section of the Doganay. Then I really laid down the law at him. I wasn't in the mood to be quiet or discreet, so he got it all. I then looked at the time and it was 16:30. I told him to come back at 17:00 and we would be in reception with our bags. He started to say they would collect the bags from our room. I replied with "We will bring our bags down to reception, if we are not here with our bags it means we are still packing, so YOU will wait HERE until we come down. IS THAT CLEAR?" He said it was, so I left him there and went up to pack.
At 16 50 we were in reception with our luggage and sitting on a seat in the entrance. Two separate people came up to me while we were there and applauded the way I had dealt with the situation. I had noticed on my way up to the room our little chat had attracted quite an audience.
At 17:00, on the dot, the guy from Doganay reception and a porter with his trolley arrived to collect our bags. We followed them back to the Doganay at a slightly slower pace because my wife doesn't walk very fast these days. We caught them up at the steep slope up to the road, because the porter couldn't drag his truck loaded with our luggage up the slope so the receptionist had to help him push it up. By the time my wife and I reached the Doganay reception, he was back behind the desk. He handed a key to a man in a white shirt who was standing by reception and I heard my name mentioned. This man handed the key to the porter who headed towards the lifts. I spoke to this man telling him to speak to his colleague about why I was so annoyed, but he just ignored me. Great customer relations there.
We later found out from other couples who had been shunted next door like we had, we had been lucky because at least we got a phone call. One young couple, on their first holiday together were in their room at the Blue Fish, when there was a knock on their door, it opened and three men walked in to take their things back to the Doganay. The girl was in the room wearing only her panties and the guy was on the balcony with only a towel around his waist. I hate to think what I would have said or done if that had happened to me.
Saturday morning was mostly spent unpacking and hanging up clothes, so we left home on Tuesday morning for a 10 day holiday in a 5 star hotel, which didn't really begin until Saturday afternoon, because the Hotel Doganay had overbooked.
So! How do I rate this holiday? Not good
Apart from reception with the overbooking and them lying about it to me, the rest of the staff are great. Nothing is too much trouble.
The food has definitely not as good as it was last year and even the wine was, not to put too fine a point on it - Rubbish. I like a glass of wine but at home I wouldn't use this to cook with, never mind put on the table. The same selection was served up every day. One menu for breakfast, one for lunch and another for dinner. The soup was different each day, but even that was better last year. A very poor effort on the catering.
Entertainment was on the whole better, with special praise to the animation team, who are the hardest working animation team I have ever come across. Polite, friendly but not too pushy. Congratulations to all of them and it was nice that we were recognized by several of them who were there last year. It made us feel that we were among friends. Well done to the whole team.
The Spa in the basement was also very good. Different to last year and the masseur who treated me then was no longer there, but the man who massaged me this year was every bit as good. If you have aches and pains I recommend a visit, although I do warn you, some of the techniques go past 'uncomfortable' into the lower reaches of 'painful', but the end result is, I think, worth it.
Bar staff varied from very good to 'obviously having been co-opted from somewhere else' which had nothing to do with running a bar. Never having been one for fancy cocktails, I can't comment on those, but when a simple 'Brandy and Lemonade' turns up from one bartender, so strong that a couple of those would make things go 'nice and soft around the edges' while from another bartender it turned up as a 'splash of brandy with the glass filled up with coke'. No that's not a misprint - he used Coke instead of lemonade.
Overall I would say that the overall quality has gone down quite a bit since last year. The 'overbooking' wasn't reception's fault, and when I had calmed down a bit, I felt quite sorry for the young guy from reception who was on the receiving end of 'both barrels', but then, as a guest, to me HE was the face of the hotel, and as the saying goes, if you can't stand the heat - stay out of the kitchen.
Cleanliness was good all round, both inside and outside the hotel.
24 hour bar and food.
The fancy glass lifts look good, shame they are such a source of frustration. They are too small and there are not enough of them. Children playing with the pretty electronic buttons could confuse them as well and then they stopped working altogether.

Dave J

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank David J
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We went as a family of 4 adults and 2 children aged 9 and 12. Absolutely loved it! The animation team make the experience so much better, offering gym yoga on the beach or step aerobics by the pool. Always try to get you Involved in pool games but do leave you alone if you say no, one person stood out for us, Ibo (not sure how to spell his name) but he was just both glamorous and amazing! His happy and flamboyant presence made everyone happy! Every night there was a different show in the amphitheatre that ranged from magicians to belly dancers, salsa dancing to specially picked audience shows. We went at the end of May so it wasn't busy at all. Always got places at the beach and by the pool.

The only thing I can fault is when you're in the toilet it's like next door are in there with you! Walls are very thin. The rooms are very clean, tidy, big bonus is the air con! The cleaner always left us something funky made out of towels on the bed which made our day.
Food was a little bit repetitive specially at breakfast but very tasty.

I recommend going for a Turkish bath, amazing and relaxing spa experience, deffo worth the €35!

If you get bored you can go into Alanya, 3TL each for the minibus. Word of advice when shopping, haggle haggle haggle and then leave, they will call you back with an even cheaper price! We walked over to the bay and hired a little piratey boat which took us all around the cliffs with a guide dishing out some fun facts, drinks on board, the lot! Felt like superstars for the day!

Beach Club Doganay provided us with an amazing holiday that we will remember and would come back here in future

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ruta D
Tuusula, Finland
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Travelling with the family (2 adults, 2 kids: 8 &13) and we had relaxing and nice stay here.
we alwasy rate the hotels with the thought "shall we come back" and unfortunately this hotel left us thinking that one time is enough eventhough we had a good holiday.
List of positive findings:
- clean hotel (including the pool areas)
- family room was big enough and two bed areas could be separated with sliding door
- got a room from top floor (6th) with sea view and room was clearly newly renovated
- Animation team was excellent! very polite and customer friendly, organizing nice activites by the pool
- hotel beach is very nice! (clear water and fine sand)
- evening program was better than in many similar hotels (lot of guest performers)
- several different lunch possibilities (pizza, hamburgers and variety of snacks) and one was located by the beach
- cold bottled water available in many locations (this was excellent, have been in hotels where you have only water machines and little plastic cups)
- photographer and spa people did not offer their services aggressively
- free shuttle to Alanya

Things that needs improvement and reasons not to return
- bed quality was awful, really hard and wobbly
- breakfast was only average, for example the juices were too sweet artificial stuff
- biggest problem with dinner and breakfast was that if you went later (like 1 hour after starting time) some items were already finished and no new stuff added. There were lot of russian guests that took everything at the same time, from entrees to desserts. And they took A LOT. So if you wanted certain desserts (cakes, desserts, puddings, cherries) you need to take it simultaniously with everything else you wanted to eat. otherwise you didn't get any
- long lines during the dinner to get food from the grill.
- understaffed while cleaning the tables. sometimes also running out of forks and knives during the dinner
- A la carte was really bad! offering excactly same food that was available when eating the buffet dinner
- nice drink list at the bars, but you never knew what you will get when ordering cocktails. It seemed that those were done differently each time and some of them were not drinkable. (like gin + mineral water + grenadine if a bartender didn't remember to add the juice that was supposed to be part of the cocktail)
- not enough elevators and elevators were really slow. Stairs only on the other end of the long building
- customer relations and manager were not very corresponding when I was giving feedback about the running out of food at breakfast and dinner

Also please note that pool areas were fully already in June even the hotel was not full. I can only imagine how packed it will be during July. You need to go and reserve a sunbed early in the morning (like 8am) if you want to have a seat.
I guess that July means even longer lines during the dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank P E
Hyde
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We arrived in the afternoon on Saturday the 7th June only to be met by a guy behind the desk who advised us that we had no room and that we would have to stay in another Hotel, for four days, and they could not find us any where in the Hotel, because they had over booked,
When we had finally settled in our room we found that it was very noisy i.e. we could here the people, next door on both sides this was because the walls were very thin and when the people in the other rooms went to the toilet you would have thought that they were in the same room with you the room was basic but very clean, we have been to Turkey five times and I have tasted better food in 3 star hotels, who also had more choice, the food hear is well presented but when you get your meals each day you find that it is the same food but presented in different ways, the meat part of the meals is an insult they use the cheapest cuts of meat they can get there hands on I.e neck end of lamb chicken liver, the fish is yak and bits of chicken the barbecue is a bloody insult where you have to queue for ages only to be met by wings of chicken and cheap kebabs if you can get any at all because the Balkan people load up their plates like it is their last meal and they are very ignorant when it comes to taking their turn in queues this Hotel is only catered in my view for this type of people,Or if you have a young family who are used to being noisy and love to stay up late, the beach area is adequate, plenty of sun loungers, pool areas are again adequate and kept clean,the Alacarte nights again the food is an insult you have three choices fish Turkish or Italian we booked ours after one day of being at the Hotel, and was booked in for the next week we decided to have the Turkish, and the Italian two days before we were due to have the Turkish, we were called by the reception and asked if we could change our meal dates to two days before we went home because a party were leaving in two days, I kindly reminded the receptionist that we had already waited one week and Hotel policy was to give two days notice we had given a week by this time we had had enough and decided to give up both dates, because our Norwegian friends had already described the food to us, Holidays are what you make them both myself and my wife had a wonderful time we met and spoke to many people went into Alanya traveled on the Dolmus bartered in the bazaars this review is not about what we did it is about the Beach Club Doganay Hotel in my opinion you would get better service in a 3 star Hotel also you will not find many English people at this place, take this into consideration if you have young children the kids entertainment are the same every night no variation the adult entertainment is quite good but you must be prepared to get there quite early to get a seat hope this helps

Room Tip: Get the front of the hotel if you can...... all Rooms are noisy where ever you are due to the constr...