“Maja Granberg”

Ranked #242 of 371 Hotels in Alanya
Umea, Sweden
“Maja Granberg”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I had a great visit at royal palm! Good food, great room and very nice staff. The location was perfect for us, close to the beach and alanya centrum. I would highly recommend it, and will definitely come back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Maja G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 15 August 2012

this was my first holiday in Turkey and I have to say that I checked lots of webpages and different forums about the accommodation in Alanya...but I think I made an excellent choice.
Royal Palm hotel is 4 star hotel and in general could get lets say... 3,5 stars. It is not 4 star hotel but it seems that they made much effort to become as best as it possible.
First night we slept in a family room (I traveled with my girlfriend - so we were agreed to have a double bed bedroom - up to the agency offer). So...since they did not have that kind of room they gave us this option. the room was great (it even had a small kitchen :-)) but the drawback was that the room had just one window (just below the celling) and no balcony! So...next day we switch to another room. They told us this when we came so it was up to us.
So...next day we moved to "new" room. In fact it was very very nice room, approx 25sqm, with baclony, nice big bathroom. They gave as even a single bed and not double bed.
The only thing which was not OK (but this is how the hotel operates) ... the sir condition works only when you are in room since you must insert the key into a special switch..to have the electricity. In previous room we would be able to run the AC constantly. but OK.... the temperature was soon on 20.

regarding hotel..
I assume that they made some changes in the near past since the pools are a bit different as on the official images. The big one is not that big as it is in the brochure. There is a pool-buffet in front of it now.
We did not use the pool at all since the beach is 100m from the hotel.
The beach and the sea is fantastic (up to 31°C !!!!).
Regarding food in the hotel:
I expected that it would be more "Turkish oriented" but it was more or less European. Lets say just 30% was authentic. I assume that this it because most of the hotel guests are Scandinavian (80-90%). We had all-inclusive so everything was in a sense "eat-as-much-as-you-can". :-)
Those who took this literally had some stomach problems...my girlfriend and me none. We also did not eat ice-cream. Otherwise all the food was excellent: maybe 20 different types of salads, various pasta, rice, potato, friuts (no bananas!), meat, sauces, soups and sweets.

There were lots of young, middle age and older people. Also lots of young families... so it seems that hotel has a good reputation.

I have just two negative comments on organisation local tours but I will comment it somewhere else. Just want to remind you...think twice if you want to go somewhere...and check the tour! I went on Alanya city tour and Night Jeep Safari.... and would not suggest to anyone! you just pay 35EUR/person...for getting nothing.

OK...hope this review will help you with your decision.

again..congrats to all the Royal Palm stuff.

Room Tip: A/C noise (but I think that there are same problems everywhere), orientation of the A/C is directly...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ivan i
Upplands-Vasby, Sweden
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We've just come back from a week in Alanya, staying at Kleopatra Royal Palm Hotel, a 4-star, all-inclusive hotel on paper. We booked our travel very late which meant that we didn’t have much of a choice or any high expectations for that matter. Only travel agency with any travels available was Detur and to this hotel.

There were a lot of things that was under any customers expectations at this hotel. During the week, the only two people within the whole hotel staff that actually cared for me and my family as customers were the cleaning lady and the pool attendant. The rest of the staff was ignorant, self-absorbed and didn’t understand the first thing about seeing people staying at the hotel as customers.

Short list of samples;
- The AC broke during first night. Didn’t matter that much since it just blew around the hot air in room and didn’t cool the air. Good thing, it broke so bad that it had to be replaced. Other fellow Swedish travelers that we got to know all had the same problem with old AC units that only blew around the air. When they complained the receptions staff only shrugged their shoulders. According to them this was ok since it was Turkish normal…
- The staff in restaurant was slow and unwilling to get tables cleaned and prepared for next group of customer.
- Breakfast food was bad. For example the yoghurt served was not cold but room temperature. A good way of getting customers ill. One morning the chef came out and started to make pancakes. He made around 10 pieces and then went away. A lady waited for him to come back because she wanted some and after 10 minutes the chef came back, snapped of the lady, telling her that there would be no more pancakes. Why start making any in the first place if you only made 10?
- Lunch and dinner during the week was almost the same. For kids who don’t like dips and sauces and mysterious food there were pasta and meat sauce (Bolognese). Every day! Luckily my kids eat the Turkish food since it’s almost the same as grandma’s Lebanese food. So they are used to this kind of food, but many families went out to eat after just 3-4 days because their kids had pasta coming out of their ears and was complaining about it.
- There is a separate pool for kids with two water slides. Great thinking from hotel management and very popular among the kids. The problem was that they only had the water flowing from 10 am to 4 pm. When talking to management about this they just shrugged their shoulders and said we should be happy, because normally they closed it at 2 pm. The kids in the pool tried to use the slides without water but got bored quite fast. So they spent the last two hours of the day complaining to their parents.
- The last two days of the trip someone made mistake with the amount of chlorine in the pool. The problem was that they dosed chlorine so that it was far too much in the water. There was so much chlorine in the water so that all who bathed coughed when chlorine irritated bronchial tubes. The bathing suites used even became bleached after just short bath. When complaining to staff they didn’t do anything. We tried the other pool but it was not so nice, some kid had an accident in the pool and had pooped. When complaining to staff they didn’t do anything for 2 hours, not even closed the pool. The last day of vacation the kids didn’t want to take a bath at all since the chloride levels still were too high. The number of kids bathing that day was close to zero.
- The elevator was broke for the most of the week. The button that you press when you want the elevator to come down/up to you on the ground level was broke. We reported it to reception desk several times. Since we stayed on second floor we walked. Other families with strollers had bigger problems and also older people. One Swedish family we meet had their room on 4th floor and was really upset. It took the hotel some 4 days to replace the button and get the elevator to work. Outrageous!

I got plenty of more samples but I think that you get the picture of this hotel. I wouldn’t pay a dime for staying at this hotel again and I hope you won't either.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank OU812SE1062072

Travellers are raving about these Alanya hotels

Prague
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This hotel is really great. Tastefull food, friendly staff, 2 pools, 2 minutes from awesome Cleopatra beach, bar at the beach with snack, drink and coffee all day, clean sea and beach. There are also many shops with food and souvenirs on the street and there is also a big supermarket. The food in the restaurant is various, I spent there one week and I've never seen 2 meals twice. Towels are changed every 2nd day and sheets every 3rd day. I really want to come back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank TheEllie
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 13 July 2012

If you are going to Alanya, you should really stay at this hotel. The food is good and has a good variety, staff are really friendly and helpful, clean and big, nice rooms, a little small pool area - but actually very nice! Many nice services at the hotel, such as hairdresser, spa, pool with slides, bar with good beer, wine, spirits, tattoo parlor that is conected to the hotel - Galaxy Tatto - I really recomend this if you are thinking of getting a tattoo. Short distance to the beach, just a short (and cheap) taxi ride to city centrum. Loved this hotel, and I am definitely going back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie2208
Helsinki
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Really friendly staff. This hotel is most clean hotel ever I've visited. Heating and cooling included. Overall condition of hotel was very good.

The food was excellent even for my vegetarian girlfriend though local meet dishes were served too. The chef was personally present all the time ready for customer's questions.

Peaceful location, distance to the beach around 200 m.

Room Tip: If you want total silence before 10 pm, don't take a room numbered 1xx.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank hlehti
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Good food, clean nice gym small but all you need is there, haman good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo