“wish never been there” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 204 Antalya B&B and Inns
London
“wish never been there”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We are keen travellers (a new place at least 4x a year) but of all the travelling this is the only one I wish I had never been. We chose Kaucuk because of the excellent reviews. I don't expect what we get back home but I expected minimum level of humanity. Not sure why others put forward such positive reviews, perhaps they were all blond male guests as there seems to be some racism and sexism going on. Rengin in general was unpredictable to us, sometimes pleasant sometimes extremely rude. It wasn't only WHAT she said to us but also HOW she framed her messages that ruined our holiday happiness. The house 'rules' were only known after you have broken them so you can be reprimanded like a school child. The 'rules' are unusual, unreasonable, not written anywhere, not known at outset, not signed up to by us, which then gets waived anyway but only if you tell her that you did not know or agree to them. Sticking to facts here are my complaints:

1. NO CHILDREN: We booked and paid upfront for 3 adults plus a toddler of 2yr old on booking.com (which Rengin insists she did not get notification of) plus I emailed Rengin to ask re facilities for child equipment and she replied directing me to her website. But as we arrived Rengin told us they only take 8yr + but was since we are there she would let us stay. We also arrived just 2 adults as we wanted the privacy in the end, given also it was our wedding anniversary.

2. NO FOOD: At arrival Rengin asked if we wanted to eat but we said no as we just arrived hot and bothered from our trip and bad plane food in memory. However, after settling in and showering I did feel suddenly hungry and asked her for something small, a sandwich or bread c.11pm but she said a flat out "no, its not possible at this time you should have said earlier" when I asked if I can find a snack anywhere else it was another flat "no, not at this time". I stood there fully aware that there was breakfast stored away. The least she could do for tired guests is offer a slice of bread. I got a few pieces of nuts after a few minutes of disappointed look. If she was running a 200guest large place needing strict policies and procedures I would understand but she is only a 9room bnb offering 'homely' service. But more annoyingly, the following days we found out that most restaurants are open till midnight, especially the one right next to Rengin's bnb the Seraser.

3. GET LOCKED OUT: Then Rengin told us that, her words, "we lock these (main) doors at midnight so if you are not in by then you stay out" and laughed, I thought she was making an exaggerated joke but she didn't follow up so we thought, weird, but ok maybe it's a dangerous street and we are in good mood so we accepted. However, we planned to get special waiver for the nights of a friend's hendo and wedding but sacrificed our own anniversary so as not to break this rule too much.

4. NO AIRCON: the night we arrived we put on the aircon to c.22 degrees just to cool off for about an hour and we found a huge puddle of water on the wooden floor directly under the aircon. I explained to Rengin and she suggested that it was our shower water, but we found this problem before anyone had a shower! Anyway, luckily for Rengin we are not too concerned about having an aircon as our son gets stuffy nose from it easily so we made do without one during the entire stay. The point is that for other guests, this might have been a big issue. The downside for us was that the hotel is on the main street which is equivalent of London Soho I think as all the club music, parties, bikes, cars and arguments go through the night into c.4am and sound as if you are sleeping on the street! It is not really Rengin's fault, it's just the location of the hotel and need to open windows.

5. NO VISITORS: Next day around lunchtime we brought back our friends who were going to get married and also expecting a baby, I wanted to give them all the pregnancy, birth and baby books and goodies I had brought and show them the hotel and our room. But Rengin stopped us on the stairs and glared at my husband and I, without even a hello to our friends, saying "you did not say you have guests staying" - we thought it was extremely unpleasant and rude and told her that they are not staying, they have their own hotel, they are visiting and we will just be a minute. However, Rengin came up with this ridiculous reason that "the balcony upstairs only takes two people, not four". We were not even planning to 'hang-out' on the balcony but curious that given our room - the Iffet - is meant for four people. She really glared at my non-white friend when saying this, so my friend clarified "so your balcony will fall down if we get on it that is why we are not welcome" and Rengin "no, that's not what I said. I am just letting you know that it's not safe". Well the message was clear - my friends were not at all welcome (actually I felt from day 1 that even we, her paying guests who have handed over near 1,000 Euros for a week's rent, were simply intruding on her private home). We had no idea that there was a strict NO VISITORS rule and wasn't even sure if it was a rule or simply her displeasure at having Oriental, West Indian and Italian people around her.

6. GET KICKED OUT: Next evening I made sure to leave my friends and return by midnight, but I had to bring back my friend who was pregnant, about to wed, and me being her bridesmaid we wanted to not only catch up over the last few years, the pregnancy but also plan the hendo and discuss wedding. We came back to Kaucuk and sat at the entry hall to chat, and Rengin came to us saying "I hear you want to stay over?" My friends said "no, I am just here to chat, I have my own hotel" and Rengin again rudely dived in "we lock the doors at midnight" and that was it, no exception no follow up. My friend was so horrified she explained to Rengin that we had not seen each other for years and we are best friends with lots to catch up on, that Kaucuk was not a youth hall so she cannot chuk her out, that she will stay and talk however long she likes and basically made a fuss. Rengin went defensive "I am just saying we close the doors, you can leave later" but I am sure this was not what she meant initially - at least the words and gestures and body language she chose was that of a headmistress vs. unruly teenager.

7. FRIENDS JUMP THE QUEUE: Next morning or one after, we came down for breakfast as usual and normally within 10minutes we have food but nothing happened for 30min. It's ok sometimes it happens and we were patiently trying to entertain our 2yo who threatened to destroy the dining room. After about 30min of waiting Rengin's friends came into the dining room and she sat with them laughing and chatting. She said something to her servant and they all got served breakfast within 5minutes. We had to watch the eggs, bread basket, cheese etc...come out while our hungry son tried to help himself to their food. We waited another 20 or so minutes in disbelief and unsure what to do, nothing happened and we pretty much lost temper as this was too much unfairness and sheer rudeness on Rengin's part. So we stormed out as we left the servant complaining that he is the only one running everywhere, trying to do his best, he also has children and is working hard etc...We bought our own breakfast at the coffee shop. That evening Rengin came to us all concerned asked innocently "is anything wrong?" I immediately said that I was not happy and Rengin retorted "but why you have such a beautiful room" (which btw is noisy, bedbug ridden and broken aircon, the pretty vase on the windowsill the only beautiful thing in the room). In any case she doesn't seem to understand that PEOPLE make or break an atmosphere and mood not THINGS.

8. NOT TO BE TRUSTED: ok so Rengin is quite a*al about leaving the keys with her. Initially she explained that she will then know who is not in and who is out, in case they need to clean or to take messages etc...BUT one morning I left my husband and toddler behind as my son was not feeling well and I had to do basic shopping in the hot sun. The boys came down with me to say bye and to have a dip in the pool, but Rengin insisted my husband leaves the room keys with her?! Even if they are staying behind and within her visibility, just by the pool opposite the reception. She explained this is because people lose the keys! But within the bnb? I can only explain it by her need to feel in control and fantasise about being the ultimate authority and power over others, a way to feel important, to fill a gaping gap in low self-esteem? Not sure, anyway another unreasonable, unpredictable 'rule'.

9. NO VISITORS: A day later, my husband went to Istanbul for the day to sign a transaction and I was left alone with my 2yo who was ill with a 39degree temperature (likely from the bedbug bites to which he was starting to get allergic reaction). I relied on friends and my sister to help me. Our friend's wedding was the day after, so my son needed to have a good rest and I decided to wash him and let him sleep at 'home' in Kaucuk. Firstly I didn't even think about the No visitor issue, nor was I told that I was not allowed to bring any visitors under any circumstance. All I knew was that balcony is too weak for 4 adults, supposedly. Anyway, I reasoned that we paid for 3 adults and my sister is highly needed to help me that day. The three of us came into our room c.noon and after about 3hours we left with a rested toddler, happy mom and auntie. Rengin stopped me on the way out and asked to have a private word. She then told me "You paid for your husband and you and your son. This person is not paid to be here." This was the last straw for me and I lost my temper explaining about the 3adults booking and Rengin replied "I don't know who this person is and she cannot be here, I don't have her passport, I don't know who she is. You have to respect the rules". This is total nonsense, as this RULE was NEWS to me, it was not written anywhere, where else in the world do you get this treatment for a semi-decent bnb? I wonder what Rengin thinks my sister would do in the room that I wouldn't do? Surely if I am allowed to be here, people I trust can be in MY ROOM during the day, for whatever reason - especially when I am alone with a sick toddler. I complained to Rengin explaining that if I did not know the 'rule' I cannot be expected to follow it, plus I don't agree with this 'rule' which is utter nonsense. Plus she was very rude to my sister saying all those things within her earshot.

10. BEDBUGS and MOSQUITOES: ok these are everywhere I guess and not really Rengin's fault, but just to warn those travellers bring your sprays and own sheets (anti bedbug sheets)!

On the plus note, the bnb is quite pretty architecturally, not necessarily our room but the setting is quite calming and relaxing. Having said that it is nothing extraordinary, its average quality internationally but higher end within Antalya by the looks of the other hotels we saw our friends staying in. Nevertheless, as I said PEOPLE make or break a good mood not THINGS. If we need a quick relaxing break to a beautiful place, we certainly prefer Greece, where we feel truly relaxed, happy with good friendly people around us, no aggressive angry tourist hunters, better sea, better quality hotels, higher level of service, better for us. I have lovely Turkish friends, who are also critical of Antalya in general.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Arden8
Rengin E, Sahibi at Kaucuk Residence, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Arden8, thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at Kauçuk. We are very sorry you did not enjoy your time here as we strive to make every guest's stay as pleasant as possible. We have not received any other complaints regarding air conditioning or insects.
Our visitor and access policies are standard in the hospitality industry and are in place to ensure the security of our registered guests and their belongings. Keys to the main entrance are made available to all registered guests so that they can come and go as they please at all hours.

Again, thank you for choosing Kauçuk and we wish you all the best.

Kauçuk Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Comox, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here for four nights in mid May. It’s right in the heart of the old town in a beautifully restored Ottoman house. The inner courtyard was lovely with beautiful trees and shrubs, a pool, spacious patio area and even ruins under a Plexiglas floor in the dining room. The breakfasts were served by the pool and were delicious and filling, with something a little different each day. The gentleman who served us was always helpful and attentive. We sacrificed on room space by reserving a quieter room (“Angela”) facing the courtyard. We still heard street noise, as the old town is lively.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Spent three magical days with my wife at the old city of Antalya called Kaleici (pronounced Ka-li-gi). We stayed at Hotel Kaucuk, a boutique hotel in the heart of the old city, a 5 minutes walk from the old clock and the beach.
Rengin, the owner of the hotel, greeted us when we arrived and was very warm and welcoming. She offered to upgrade our room to a suite without us asking and the room was already set with a romantic surprise on the bed (see photos).
The pool area is very welcoming and having breakfasts and dinners around the pool was just great.
Would definitely recommended this place!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rengin E, Sahibi at Kaucuk Residence, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time and putting a review.
It has been a pleasure to host you and your wife at Kauçuk Residence.
We hope to see you and your family at Kauçuk in near future again.
Best regards,
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Kaucuk, in the most charming old city of Antalya, is not only a great boutique hotel, it's a family, it's nurturing and a guidance right in the middle of the hectic stimulating neighbourhood of ancient Antalya, 5 minutes walking distance from a fabulous small hidden beach and surrounded by Aladdin small shops with colorful carpet, rugs and artistry. This is my second time in Kaucuk,this time with son and his wife - the owner and her husband became my friends, surely this is nowadays my preferable place for repose, vacation and rest while i work in Turke .
Erol is not only the chief operations manager, also put a flower in my room, now does the gardening and in the evening will become the greatest waiter at dinner!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is really lovely aesthetically and just what we were looking for in a Kaleici hotel. The owner is very kind and looked after us well. She arranged airport transfer for us (which left slightly later than we'd have liked for our departure and we were thus scrambling to the gate) as well as an excellent tour of ancient roman sites.

Pros: Beautifully and tastefully decorated. Nice courtyard with small pool and vegetation. Attentive owner, very comfortable beds, nice modern bathrooms. TVs in the rooms with lots of channels. Excellent breakfast.

Cons: As others have said, the noise is pretty awful but nothing we haven't encountered in several other Turkish hotels. Sounds of conversations on the street as if they were in the room, motorbikes etc. Breakfast starts at 9am which is a bit late. Internet doesn't work (wifi, but none of our devices would connect).

Biggest complaint: On the morning of our tour, the owner said she'd have coffee and breakfast"sandwiches" for us for the journey as it left very early. Coffee wasn't ready before we had to leave, and the "sandwiches" were two pieces of plain brown bread with one small half slice of a tomato and one tiny triangle of cheese. We ended up buying something on the way. If you're planning an early morning excursion, you'll need to get your own breakfast as you won't have an opportunity to eat until lunchtime.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank H R
Rengin E, Sahibi at Kaucuk Residence, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments about our Resident.

We are glad that you were relaxed and enjoyed your stay and satisfied with our tour service.
I am very sorry that your early morning sanwiches were not prepared up to our standards. We will make sure that our future guests will be provided with larger food package.
Relating to our wifi and internet; we have made a very expensive investment during March 2014 in order our guest would have full internet service in each room. Since then we have had no complaints at all and when you observe our page on booking.com you would read that our guests high recommend our internet service.
I wish you would ask me when you could not join internet when you were here at Kauçuk so I could help you on the spot here and then.
Hope to see you again @ Kauçuk, Best Regards
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

It's a beautiful hotel in two Ottoman-style houses in the very hard of the old city. In the cozy patio dining tables surround the swimming pool. You can hardly find better place to relax while travel in Mediterranean Turkey. Don't miss the breakfast by the pool.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Rengin E, Sahibi at Kaucuk Residence, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Dmitry,

Thank you for your kind comments about Kauçuk Residence.
We hope to see you and your family in near future again.
Best regards,
Rengin
Akershus, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was a pleasant and positive experience. Behind a rather anonymous entrance, it was a small and very nice hotel. The rooms was spacious ,in good condition and very well cleaned. The service could not be better. Thanks to Rengin,Erol and the whole staff.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly.