“Mixed experience”
Review of Argos

Argos
Ranked #81 of 232 Hotels in Antalya
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Our room (103) was very small even though we booked superior. It wasnt not a twin or on the top floor as we had requested. The female receptionist was not too helpful and we just accepted. Cleaning was regular and staff fine but a little distant. It is reasonable value at the bottom end of the market. There did seem to be cheaper options available locally.
Breakfast fine but not varied on a long stay.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 20 October 2013

This traditional hotel is a bit run-down and is understaffed.

It's a great location in the centre of the old town within easy walking distance of the harbour and the town centre. It's accessible by taxi but not our tour bus.

Our room was near the pool. It was a reasonable size, with only a small bathroom (good shower though) and dark as we had to keep the curtains closed for privacy. The towels were clean but a bit tatty. Wifi was free and worked well in the room and the common areas.

Dinner was disappointing and there was only a limited selection at the buffet breakfast. Service was friendly but the hotel is badly understaffed. One guy seemed to be responsible for everything - at least preparing dinner, serving drinks (at the same time) and cleaning the rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms under the dining room - you will be woken early as the staff lays out the buffet breakfa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ral999
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed alone at the Argos Hotel and found it welcoming and a good experience.

The staff were friendly and professional. While the lady who has been mentioned in previous reviews was perhaps not the warmest member of staff, I did not encounter any problems as a single woman traveller.

My room was large, had a comfy bed and good sized bath room. There was air conditioning, the safe was fixed in position and secure, not movable as some other reviews suggest. My room was clean, if a little dusty under the desk, but in the bathroom and main floor areas it was fine.

The pool area is well maintained and there are new sun loungers by the pool. However, the pool is quite small, so not suited to serious swimmers!

The breakfast is a decent buffet, but very much in the Turkish style. Don't expect a cooked breakfast. I also paid for dinner, but would not recommend this. There was no menu and I had to ask to find out what was available. Each evening there was soup, bread and a main, followed by fruit. The meals were hit and miss, and given the quality of meals available at low places locally I would recommend staying only on a bed and breakfast basis.

The location of the hotel is great. It's a short walk from the beach and harbour, as well as being easy to get to the modern part of town.

If you book the Argos, remember this is a traditional Turkish hotel and not a five star modern complex. If you keep this in mind, you should be happy, but avoid the dinner service!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tracy S
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Loved my stay, felt very welcome but had a few problems with the only woman receptionist whom appears to have in my opinion (because I wasn't the only person) a problem with single women, yet all the male staff were so helpful. The hotel itself is very quaint but a bit dated, surface cleaning is very good but to much work for one person to do alone. Breakfast is continental style which seldom changes, suited me but not my friends! Request a room beside pool if u like to sunbathe and dont be surprised if its abit noisy elsewhere, has to be expected in middle of town where the hotel is located. A very very quaint old town with a magical feel with loads of little streets and hills, it all leads into each other so dont worry if u get lost, everything else is at hand. The castle is a great place to eat and again staff were great. Would definitely go back to the old town but not sure the same hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I have recently returned from a 10 day stay at the Argos hotel with my girlfriend. Both of us had an amazing time in Antalya and we would highly recommend a vacation in this area for couples of all ages, however I personally would not recommend this hotel.

The coastal city is romantic with loads of great places to eat all of which having exceptional table service and beautiful scenic views. I would strongly recommend this to both young and older couples as I found you could find yourself a lively bar or quiet place to eat depending on how you felt.

Each and every waiter we had was attentive, friendly but not so much so that they were in your face. I would not say this was down to a fluke as we ate out so often, it would seem the Turkish take great pride in your dining experience.

We also noticed a common factor that the restaurants who didn't stand outside attempting to coax you usually meant that their reputation, food and dining experience meant they did not need to do so. So if you hear someone call you in, keep walking and you will find a nicer place to eat.

However, unfortunately all of the things I loved about Antalya such as the buzzing atmosphere, friendly/attentive staff and amazing food was not to be found at the Argos Hotel.

By far the most disappointing experience of my holiday was the daily and increasingly uncomfortable atmosphere with the lady who sat on the front desk. I literally had no idea what her contribution was to the hotel. She never introduced herself or wore any sort of name badge so I can only imagine she was the hotel's 'mood hoover' or 'moving gargoyle' used to warn off non Turkish guests. If so, she did this job amazingly.

Her strong points were; isolating foreign guests, chain smoking cigarettes and checking her Facebook. Unfortunately the skills she struggled with and what I would assume would be useful when working in a hotel were basic manners, face to face social interaction, smiling and just acknowledging your existence.

On the occasions I did need to speak to her, she looked at me like I was an idiot for asking for things such as a drink at the bar when it is 30 plus degrees outside or for a safe key that worked.

'Good morning', 'Good Afternoon' or the cruelest dagger, 'Hello, how are you?' would get one of two responses;

a) no acknowledgement whatsoever or
b) a facial response that looked like I spat on shoes and handed her a soiled towel to wipe them clean with.

I do not mean to sound dramatic but she was literally a horrible human being. She seemed to hate the basic responsibilities of working in a hotel so she should do herself a favour and for all future guests and just leave.

I would like to be very specific that this woman was in her mid thirties, wore braces and had dark hair down to her chin. Simply because there was a younger girl who worked at the hotel and seemingly did not speak one word of English, however every time we saw her she greeted myself and my girlfriend with a huge smile and was a great member of staff. That to me goes to show that smiles and basic manners compensate for any language barrier. The horrid woman could speak English perfectly however SHE CHOSE to leave out the 'please' and 'thank you's'.

As for the other staff there were four other men. These guys were all much more polite but we would have a strange rapport in which somedays they would talk and some days they would not. However, one man in particular who checked us in was very helpful if we ever needed to ask him questions about the local area.

Other disappointing features was the mould on the shower's ceiling in our room and that staff joining in with the morning breakfast buffet. It was not a problem to eat with them but disappointing when it meant the breakfast which we had paid for was limited because of this.

On a positive note, when the room was cleaned it was cleaned very well and left nicely. Also the main strong point of this hotel was it's location within Old Town. It was minutes from the markets, lovely restaurants and tram by the clock tower however the negative uncomfortable staff and poor hygiene brought down the experience of the hotel for me.

Overall I would strongly recommend Antalya but would advise to look into better hotels nearby, this way you would benefit from the central location but hopefully find yourself a nicer hotel.

Room Tip: The room which we had was very small and the shower had a mouldy ceiling.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harry M
Reviewed 19 September 2013

stayed here for 3 nights,had a deluxe room,it was on the corner so was spacious with plenty of windows.room was lovely ,wooden furniture,surfaces of these were a bit tired but it was spotlessly clean.bathroom was spacious with a great shower.pool was superb little oasis steps away from the hustle and bustle of old town.breakfast was traditional turkish breads,salads,eggs,yogurt etc.could of done with a toaster.i would certainly stay here again.safes in room at no extra charge as was aircon

Room Tip: deluxe rooms are far more spacious,standard rooms quite small
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We booked on internet and stayed for a week with our 2 sons aged 20 and 22.
We fail to understand the 2 recent critical reviews as we each found this to be a beautiful little hotel with wonderful service, and extremely clean and well run.
Situated in a quiet street in the bustling old town and near to the harbour - convenient but peaceful. Music bars just up the road - good for us, and a bit of low noise into the night was fine.
Breakfast was standard Turkish buffet, beautifully presented with a good choice in a spotless dining area. You can eat inside or out. Staff kind, helpful and very efficient but did not intrude.
Rooms were also spotlessly clean and well decorated; we booked a deluxe room and a standard room and both were good. Sheets and towels changed daily. We paid less for a week than we would pay in a basic London hotel for one night and considered this to be fantastic value and a lovely authentic atmosphere.
The pool was very clean and set in a beautiful established garden with loungers and endless towels; very welcome after along day in the heat.
If you want a European-style tourist hotel with English speaking staff, disco and entertainment, and everything brand new and perfect then this is not for you. For us it was an ideal, very comfortable, base for exploring the old town and with easy access to transport links for travelling further afield.
This is an old, delightfully renovated, building with character and we loved it. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family