“5 star looks, shame not 5 star service”
Review of Royal Wings Hotel

Royal Wings Hotel
Ranked #5 of 229 Hotels in Antalya
Crook, United Kingdom
“5 star looks, shame not 5 star service”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Where do I begin? Let me say I am very particular about where I stay and the food I eat and to add to my pickiness I was travelling with my 2 boys aged 9 and 11 who are like chalk and cheese so keeping them both amused was going to be a challenge.
Let me start with the appearance of the hotel. Exquisite grounds. Could not fault them - just what you would expect from a 5 star. Immaculate. Always people cleaning.
Reception/arrival - very quick, polite, informative - just how I expected to be treated, especially arriving around midnight. Always 2 or 3 staff members visible - never had to wait to be seen too.
Guest Relations - very helpful no problems
Room - You know you are in a good quality hotel when you have thick carpet on the floor. Very spacious, even for a family room, you were not tripping over each other and beds. No noise heard from any other room in any direction (we were on the 9th floor). No noise from outside the door on an evening to disturb your sleep. The room was seen too everyday by the cleaning staff and the complimentary bar was filled every day. The cleaning service was amazing. Nothing to complain about there. The shower was powerful, not just a drip. Bathroom immaculate. I used the hairdryer in the bathroom (not very H&S) but I did make sure the room was dry before I used it. Powerful hairdryer - highly recommended (saves space and weight of taking your own from home). The beds were not as comfortable as I expected them to be but that was just a minor detail really. The safe was free of charge (unlike most hotels).
The food - immense amount of choice. I was not ill once (and that is a big thing for me on holiday as I have a tissue stomach). This was a massive bonus although by the end of the week I was looking forward to English food. Catered a great deal for the Europeans/Russians. You could always find something to eat anytime day or night. The desserts are out of this world and a visit to the Patisserie is a must. The food from the Amphitheatre on a lunchtime time is brilliant if you don't want to use the main restaurant. There are 5 al a carte restaurants in the hotel. We used the Bamboo Garden - beautiful food, slow service though.
The drinks - available 24 hours a day. Always bottles of water on the bar just to take. I used them for brushing teeth in the room (can't be too careful). You can get any drink on this planet.
The staff - very friendly and helpful, not too in your face or overpowering. They were starting to get rushed off their feet by the time we left so had less time to talk to you.
Entertainment - plenty to do both morning and afternoon if you so wanted too. The Entertainment staff don't just work during the day but also do the shows on the night time. They are amazing. They work their socks off, all of them. Look out for Alex. You cant miss him. Brilliant guy in all aspects (you know what I mean when you see him)
The pool(s) - they were very cold when we were there but started to warm up towards the end of May as we left. Very child friendly. Steps everywhere for ease of access. Very clean water. The choice of pools was amazing. It is one big pool but is all sectioned so it feels like you can be at a different pool every day. The edge of the pool got very slippery when wet and I can imagine very hot in the blazing sun (just something to be aware of)
Sunbeds - no one is allowed to put towels on before 9am - if they do they are taken off - loads of beds. Very clean and comfortable. Don't know what it will be like high season but we had no problems getting beds.
Aquapark - the aquapark is at the front of the hotel and the pool is at the rear (not good if you have children of different ages and are a single parent, like myself). If your children like the slides then they will be kept amused. Remember to put on long swimming trunks and a lycra kind of top that does not ride up. Many people had really nasty friction burns from the slides because they were not properly dressed for them. There is a lazy river that has canoes in or the rubber rings are used. There is a wave pool that is only operational a couple of times a day but the kids can still play in the pool all day. There are trampolines and fairground rides for the young ones too. There is also a baby/toddler/young child pool next to the big slides that have 3 slides and other little things for the youngsters. A bar and toilet facilities are there too.
The beach - loads of sunbeds under canopies. A small bar. A shower for getting rid of unwanted sand. A volleyball court. Big tent beds (extra charge) with curtains overlooking the sea. A pier with more sunbeds and big tent beds. I did not find the beach that clean, full of cigarette ends, even though ash pots are available at every canopy. Close enough to the hotel and the snack bar.
The surrounding area - I was not impressed really. There are shops to walk to but that is it. Not much close by unless you want to take a bus or a tour.
My only bugbear of the hotel is that they allow smoking all over the place! There is no designated smoking area. So people can smoke by the pool or right at the table next to you outside when you are eating.
Would I recommend this hotel - yes very highly (and I am hard to please)
Would I return to this hotel - no. Not captured my heart that much but I am pleased I have been.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool. Rooms on higher floors have lovely views and are generally quieter.
2 Thank A1Helen71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week with 4 adults and my 3 children who are 9, 8 and 3.

Grounds are lovely especially around the pool and even though hotel was full the layout never made it feel crowded during the day and there were always sunloungers available.

Food was great and you could literally eat 24/7 if u wanted however the choice on the childrens buffet was limited and the same everday. We went to both the italian and chinese and both were delicious but again kids choice was poor and they only got one course as oppose to the adults 6 courses which was served with our starter and then we had to keep them entertained for another 2 hours!!!

Bars were well located for the day time but the one outside the entertainment venue at night closed just as the shows started meaning no drinks unless u went to another bar none of which were close!!

In terms of entertainment, asides from the drink issue, the animation team worked very hard but we did feel that for a five star hotel this was a huge let down. The evening entertainment consisted of a 30/40 minute kids disco which consisted of 6/8 party dances of which only 1 or 2 were in English. This was then followed by a half hour wait for the main 40 minute 'show' which was a variety of acts by the same animation staff and included cheap tacky nights such Miss Royal wings and Mr&Mrs. We have seen much better by far entertainment in Haven and Butlins and this was a big disappointment!

Daytime entertainment was by the same animation team and although was good was very much adult based and repetative.

For the kids the aquapark and fair was fantastic but beyond that there wasnt much else, unless u wanted to spend. Kids club was too young for the older two and the 3 year old wasnt old enough (they have to be 4). The only activities old enough for my older kids came at a price such as bananaboat, horseriding and tshirt painting all at 10 euros each per child.

overall we did enjoy our trip, hotel was very clean and luxurious but we did feel rather than being a 'family hotel' it was more like an adult hotel that didnt mind if kids turned up.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Emma G
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

nice grounds,but food hit and miss,bars outside close at entertainment times so you have to walk further to next available bar,staff quite rude not very friendly,inside pool freezing,nothing outside of hotel in case you want night out,shops not many,all want euros.tried charging for loss of towel card but found in room,all about charges,brands were charged for,if kids wanted lollies charge requested.stayed in better 3 star accommodation.wont be back.marmaris in july.great.any one liking this hotel must stay in hotel all time as nothing to do.total rubbish. okay if disabled.beds very hard and smallest pillows ever.

Room Tip: don't go here
2 Thank biskit4444
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

One of the best holidays I have been on in a long time. The hotel was amazing, extremely clean ALL the time, even the outside toilets by the pools were spotless. The staff were attentive, good choices of drinks from 10am through to midnight. The food in the restaurant was excellent, and a lot to choose from. The waiters were great with the kids, and didn't have a bad meal the whole time we were there. The entertainment was great, always something going on during the day and night, hubby loved the archery and shooting competitions and my son joined in as well (9 years old). he of course loved the onsite water park, I loved the sun!! 30 degrees every day from 7am in the morning until 5pm at night. Plenty of sun beds on offer, so no need to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve your beds. In fact hotel staff walked around removing towels as they didn't allow anyone to hog the beds until 9am in the morning. Pools were great, a little cold on arrival but soon warmed up by end of holiday. (mid may 2014). I would highly recommend this hotel especially if you have children, but equally for adults only still a great place to go. The only moan I have and I'm being picky was the beds were quite hard, and pillows not great, but like I say I'm being picky.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room, the other side of hotel view isn't great looking onto apartment blocks.
2 Thank lesleyk124
scotland
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the Royal Wings for 1 week in April 2013. We (My wife and I) liked it so much we decided to return this year. What a good decision. We stayed from 18th april till 2nd may. What can I say. The Hotel is spotless the food is fantastic the staff are all brilliant the facilities are top notch. The pool scene is fantastic. the Beach was spotless and the weather was fantastic. 13 great days 1 cool cloudy day. Check in was quick check out was quick. we loved it and will defo be back. The staff all work ever so hard and do so with a smile on their faces.
Well done Royal Wings.

Room Tip: Rooms on top 3 floors have bigger balconies
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank fwanga
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Went for the first time to turkey and stayed here. We enjoyed our stay that much that we have booked to go back in October. The pools were cold but the friendly welcome and attentiveness of the staff more than made up for that. I just can't find anything to complain about. Food location and quality top marks.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank revpap
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We've just returned from the royal wings(4adults 2children), and can only describe the hotel as fantastic. Everything about the hotel is top drawer, restaurants, snack bars, rooms, pools, spa and staff all excellent. If I had one criticism, it would be that the indoor pool was closed(apparently only opens out of season). The rooms were of a very good size, and immaculately turned down everyday, and as we had 2 young children with us, you can imagine the mess sometimes. The food in the restaurant was fantastic, and the food in the snack bars was excellent too, particularly the gozleme(Turkish tent). The staff all seemed genuinely happy to help, and if you needed anything it was no trouble. This was our fourth year running at Lara beach, having stayed previously at the liberty Lara, baia Lara and delphin diva all of which were very good too, but the royal wings surpassed all those in my opinion. We didn't get the chance to take in much of the nightly entertainment, but what we did see was very good, a lot of effort put into it. I really couldn't recommend this hotel anymore, particularly if youve got children. Thanks to the royal wings and it's staff for a wonderful holiday.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family