“Fantastic - Yet again!!!!”
Review of Barut Lara

Barut Lara
Ranked #1 of 228 Hotels in Antalya
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Fantastic - Yet again!!!!”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We originally visited this hotel in September 2010 and we had such a lovely holiday we didn’t hesitate to book it again for this September.

We were apprehensive as sometimes things are never quite the same when you return after having such a great time, our fears were unfounded and we had a really great time yet again.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and it was really nice this year as the level of English spoken has improved greatly which enhanced the whole communication experience.

I also noticed an increase in the number of trainees around the place and they all seemed to be enjoying the work and it was nice to see them being taught by the more experienced staff in a really positive way. (Maybe that’s just my job making me take notice of such things).

Last year we were upgraded free of charge to a Suite and this year we were in the main building. I must admit the view from our room was sensational as we were high up and as we didn’t spend much time in the room the extra space provided by the suite was wasted, it would be great for a family though. That’s not to say that the standard rooms aren’t spacious – we had plenty of room and lots of hanging space and drawers (it’s a woman thing!).

The main buffet restaurant did really well when you consider the volume of people they serve each day, we had some great meals in there at lunchtime and breakfast was super. I have to say I did have the freshly made omelette every morning (and now I can’t resist making omelette for breakfast every morning now I’m home!). I would have liked to have seen the crispy bacon served on a few more mornings – it only made an appearance on the Sunday morning.

We ate in 5 of the 6 speciality restaurants and they were all great, I must admit though my main course in the seafood restaurant was a disappointment which was a shame as last year it was exceptional. Still that was probably a one off and I will go back there again next year (yes we’re already planning our return trip).

The sofa restaurant with its set menu was a new experience for us this year and it was great – very art deco – the waiter there was superb and managed the whole thing virtually single handed!

We decided to try the Barbeque this year as well and that was quite novel – if a bit smoky – we had a good time though and the other diners were friendly and there was a good level of ‘banter’ between the tables.

I do wish they would serve a bit later in the Al La Carte restaurants though – we like to eat late on holiday and having to be out of the restaurant by 9.30 spoils the evening a bit, we would like to sit and relax and make the experience last.

This year we frequented the Yasemin Bar more often and the service there is impeccable and the cocktails are great – the White Russian is now my favourite! The staff took the time to chat to you and explain what was in the cocktails which was very nice. Also from there you get a great view of the nightly firework displays at the other hotels along the coast and boy there were some pretty good displays!

The main pool bar was open until midnight every night which was great – it’s lovely to be able to sit out under the stars and watch the world go by. The main lobby bar is great for nightcap on the way to bed and here they serve a whole range of drinks even the premium brands as part of the all inclusive. I must admit I was a bit partial to the Sparkling Wine served everywhere!

The pool areas and the gardens are kept in immaculate condition and there are plenty of sun beds around but as usual there are those who reserve the sun beds in the prime spots and then show up at 3 or 4 in the afternoon which gets frustrating. Also the staff come round the pool with a trolley providing soft drinks and water which is a great idea as it does ensure that you keep your fluid intake up (minus the alcohol – you need to walk to the bar for that!).

The main niggle I had with the whole week was the constant noise at night, it’s a beautiful place, the gardens are wonderful for a stroll after dinner, the outside bars are lively but everywhere you go there’s a cacophony of sounds from all of the hotels – do they really need to have the sounds that loud? It’s almost as if they are trying to compete with each other – I’m sure if they all turned the noise down a few notches it would be more pleasant for everyone.

All in all I was very pleased that we had chosen to return again and we’re about to book for our third trip!!!

Room Tip: If there are just two of you go for the main building and the higher floors the views are lovely. Ev...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bouedo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

on arriving at the barut all looked well, great room and the pool areas were oustanding , however, the majority of the upper staff were rude and unhelpfull, having said that the cleaners and ground staff were very friendly.
tha main problem was lack of activities and the food was at best school canteen,
i just found the whole trip a drain as they were constantly lookin to get extra money from you,
will not be going back

Room Tip: side view sea is ok
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 361bburke
Hallevik, Sweden
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Just coming back from a two week stay. We have been there four times before and we just love it. This time we where not upgraded, a bit disapointed but we got what we paid for so no complains. Was it better this time compaired with the others? Yes, some. The food in the Buffet restaurant was better presented and actually tasted better, how that could be possible? The drinks not as watery as they sometimes where earlier The service in the bars and food areas was perfect.
However, the cleaning of our room was NOT good and not the service either. We had to ask for toilet paper, we had to ask for schampoo and soap. One day we also had to "finish" the cleaning ourselves. The carpet was folded and put under the bench. The cleaning rag was still in the toilet. Looking under the beds there was a lot of fluft. Not acceptabel in a five star hotel.
The aircon didn't work properly. Personally I think it is underdimensioned.
Despite this, we will go back again. We love the hotel and the staff (except the cleaning lady)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Birgit B
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My OH and I spent 2 weeks at the Barut from 10th to 24th September. We had booked a standard room but I emailed the hotel in advance to request a high floor, sea & mountain view, which was exactly what we got and the view and the room was lovely. When asked they said they could upgrade us (for free) to a junior suite but it did not have a view. As there was only 2 of us and we were happy with the standard room, we opted to keep the fantastic view and nightly sunset display over the mountains.
We have previously stayed at the Limak Lara last September and Voyage Belek in May. I can only agree with all the previous positive reviews. The hotel was so relaxing, the pools and the gardens were lovely, the drinks selection was good, though I do feel the cocktails and the drinks selection at the Voyage was slightly better but this is just my opinion as I do love cocktails on holiday! The beach was nice though I was a little disappointed with the pier after staying at the Voyage and I did think that the Beach is much nicer in Belek than Lara.
We went to Al a cartes 6 times during out 2 weeks. The Turunc, Akdeniz, Kuyu (Turkish) and the Sofa (fine dining). Our favourites were the Akdeniz (3 times) and the Sofa (1 time). The food in both of these was lovely, the atmosphere and service was very good and the Sofa Fine Dining is definetly worth a visit. I know it's a set menu but the food was beautiful and service amazing, I am so glad we went and we were considering a 2nd visit but decided to go the Akdeniz instead.
We also enjoyed a Turkish bath in the hotels Spa on the day of arrival (emailed & booked it in advance), it was 45 euros each, lasted approx an hour or so in total and was absolutely amazing. The best Turkish bath we have had to date!!!
Would I go back? Yes but for a good price...there are lots of lovely hotels in Belek I have yet to try. Would I recommend the hotel? Without a shadow of a doubt!!!

Room Tip: Email the hotel in advance if you have a room or view preference.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank suez66
uk SW
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Went with Thompson this time as cheaper than Thomas Cook with hubby and friends. Arrived at 01:05 so too late for food but there was fruit and chocolates in the room. Sat on the bed and found it too hard for my liking so made this known to reception on the way back down to the perpetually open bar. Thought no more of the hard bed as the chap on reception mentioned something about a jumper and I had visions of a fairisle creation delicately placed on the bed. A few drinks later and I slept like a log. The next day I happened to tuck the sheet in and found a good 2" of memory foam mattress topper had been placed upon the bed! Service or what?
Food remains excellent and plentiful and the Chateaubriand in the Akdeniz restaurant, divine.
The BBQ restaurant, a normally fairly random and haphazard eating experience is executed with superb timing by the chaps running it, you book, you arrive and it's ready to receive the meat and vegetables of your choice. In fact all the restaurants are worthy of a visit.
I have written previously about Barut Lara and not in a good light. This visit has restored my confidence tenfold. No preferential treatment of our Teutonic neighbours, the staff attentive and eager to please and we had a lovely sea view room the size of which was far superior to most hotels and had a very pleasant balcony.
I do wish they would demolish the architectural eyesore that is the Karavansaray Hotel, delightfully referred to as the Karavan-site by some people we met who had unfortunately been allotted rooms opposite the multi-coloured and highly illuminated monstrosity. The Barut's luxurious use of Travertine and understated colour is an oasis of calm by comparison. The lovely gardens have grown and filled out since our last visit and there have been a few alterations which are improvements. The resident cats look healthy and happy and a visit to the cat house supports the theory that they care very much for the stray animals, who if they have any sense won't be stray for much longer.
We will definitely return for quiet, comfortable and assured excellent service and serious R & R. All is forgiven.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

All Inclusive Package *****
Staff *****
Beach *****
Food *****

In the true sense of the word this is not a “5* hotel” as such but for a holiday package location you won’t get much better – and it’s a real 5* experience. It doesn’t matter if you’re a adult party, family with kids or a couple there is plenty of options at this hotel.

The hotel is on a large site, split into zones but easily got around. There is the tower block about 10 floors then what is known at the” residence block” or suites. The hotel is spotless and staff are always cleaning. We were upgraded to a suite on arrival (which I won’t let cloud my assessment but they a bonus point for that), the rooms are well laid out, loads of space and very well maintained.

There are a number of pools two at the residence block, three in the main area and one at the slides.

The location is in a quiet area, at the start of what is known as the strip. The security is excellent throughout the site.

The private beach is well maintained (not white sand as in their website but done be put off), there are plenty of loungers and staff to help. The sea is great, but be warned there is a very steep dip into it.

The food is of excellent quality and quantity and a good choice of places to eat – my favourite was the Turkish but from breakfast to dinner there was no shortage and variety – warning there is a danger you will over eat (its hard not to)

Alcohol – what’s your poison, they have it (cocktails at lunchtime at the Yasmin Bar I’d recommend) – mind you never seen anyone drunk!

Entertainment – is very professional and they work non-stop

Staff – very polite, pleasant and helpful (one waiter Orphan I think was his name based in the Turkish restaurant always went out of his and smiled with everyone)

Other Guests – no problems, we meet two nice lads from London (Paul and Harriet) and two sisters (Liverpool/Ipswich) - other guests mainly Russian or German

Phone Booths – there are phone booths out on the main road, its a bit of walk so be warned you can buy phone cards from Thomas Cook or the Shop in the hotel.

Spa – excellent, treat yourself to a Turkish Bath and massage 60 euro.

Two Minor problems – Kids ,I think that part of the beach should be adult only (I don’t go on holidays to listen to other peoples kids cry or act like spoiled brats ) and a significant part of the hotel is given over to accommodating kids so I think some restriction is reasonable. Secondly courtesy room – its needs to be better organised and is basically a male and female toilet with a shower each so not great for couples or families for that matter – but this is very minor.

Tipping - YES you are allowed to tip and they do apprecaite it

Overall I would strongly recommend the Barut Lara Resort & Spa

Room Tip: all the rooms are a good size and quality - the small residence suite was very good
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BrendanB
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We returned to the Lara again this year despite me saying years ago that there are so many places to see that I don't see the point of going back to the same hotel time and time again! The problem with the Barut is that it is so good and meets all our needs as a family that we are worried to try anywhere else as we would hate to be disappointed! We have 2 teenagers and our 15 year old son loves meeting up with the teen club, Altan was absolutely brilliant this year, along with all the animation team, who work hard to ensure you are having a good time. We prefer a quiet day of relaxation, so spend it around the residents pool and when we fancied a bit of life will walk to the pool bar to watch the entertainment which is always good fun.
We have stayed in 5 star hotels in Antigua and Cuba and they were great, but if you can't stand all that travelling (which I can't), then this hotel gives you all that you get in the Caribbean hotels and more!
We are goodies, and love all on offer, the a la carte restaurants are superb, although remember the bug spray if using the outdoor ones!
I cannot say anymore than others have said regarding the whole of the hospitality team, just wonderful. We had a little problem with a waiters advances towards my daughter last year and they took our concerns very seriously and the problem was quickly sorted. It is difficult to identify individual staff members, the lounge bar staff - great and Blondie and his team -fab, cleaners, chefs, reception etc etc - look forward to seek you all next year!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011