“Not as good as expected”
Review of Barut Lara

Barut Lara
Ranked #1 of 234 Hotels in Antalya
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here from the 19th of June until the 29th of June with some family members. I booked this hotel due to its number one status for hotels in Antalya on Trip Advisor. It certainly doesn't deserve that !

There are positives & negatives to this hotel so I will start with the negatives. We booked a family suite & after being upgraded to a family suite in the Barut Arum last year I expected a very good room. We were disappointed to see it was nothing like the room we had there. It didn't have a lounge & we had dead bugs on the balcony & the floor obviously hadn't been moped for a while as it was very dusty. The bathroom wasn't cleaned properly the whole of our stay.The beds were also uncomfortable & hard. We also had plagues of ants which we reported several times & the cleaners never put enough ant powder down or cleaned them up properly. If we hadn't arrived late on in the evening we would of asked to change rooms straight away & I wish we had after that. It was certainly a disappointment after the Arum. We had room 2421.
The hotel had a beach buggy which ran from 9.00 until 18.00. This was great & the drivers were lovely. However the beach buggy should have run from 8.00 until 19.00. The beach is a long walk from the hotel & annexe & sometimes it would of been more useful to have an earlier start & a later finish.
The reception were generally moody & weren't too keen on our reporting the ants. They were miserable even when we checked in. The guest relations team were much more helpful on the I issue of the ants.
The restaurant bookings system is useless as the computers very rarely worked & the guest relations desk was only open from 9.00 until 12.30pm. This meant there was a huge queue every time you wanted to book in one of the restaurants. If the hotel sorted out the computers this situation wouldn't happen. You could also only book two days in advance for the restaurants which didn't help the situation either.
Now on to the good points. The beach, pool & outside areas were lovely & the staff in the restaurants were very good & happy to help at all times. The animation team were also good & the party night was one of the best shows I have ever seen in a hotel that is similar to this one. The food & choice of food & restaurants were excellent & apart from one evening the food was faultless. The bars were also good as were the staff.
The spa was beautiful & one of the best I've been in & had plenty of choice of treatments.
The hotel is in a good location & only 15 minutes from the airport. We booked through Classic Collection & we did one trip with a private guide & that was very good despite the heat. I would certainly recommend Classic Collection & our guide Ahmet was wonderful & very patient.
I wouldn't return to the Lara Beach & won't be recommending it to people. The one thing I would say it would certainly be a good hotel for people with younger children. The children's club seemed to be very good.
This hotel was really good value for money as Turkey is in general.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room in the family suites with garden view. They have an awful view & are pla...
5  Thank Jo M

Dear Jo,

Merhaba!
Thank you for staying with us at Barut Lara Hotel. We appreciate your time and your review on Trip advisor. We sincerely apologize for all the discomforts that you faced during your stay.
At our hotel we value our guest’s feedbacks and that helps us to improve our service. We are also continuously training our service staff.
Rest assured that your feedback was addressed to our Executive team and we are working very hard to take immediate precautions to make sure all of our guests are very happy.
Thank you once again for your comments and we would be more than happy to host you as our guests again where we will get the chance to show you the improvements.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have been before and it was magic. this year unfortunately things have changed.

Reception staff are woody. Other staff are serving only if they get a tip beforehand, otherwise a grumpy face is guaranteed.

Pool and beach sunbeds are reserved by towels before 7am, and most guests reserve both. The pool ones are so packed and with fewer parasols.

Food OK if not busy .. otherwise half cooked and cold.

Next year to a different place for sure. A real shame for a number 1 hotel for so long.

23  Thank WorldSunTravellerMe

Dear Paristravelle,

Thank you for posting your review of your stay at our hotel. We appreciate all guest feedback and we are disappointed that you were not one of those guests who walked out satisfied. Please know that we are very sensitive about the guest satisfaction. We’lI always take time to talk to our guests. We are also sorry that you did not find our hotel as good as your past Barut Lara experiences.
Your feedback was addressed to our executive team and we are working very hard to take immediate precautions to make sure all of our guests are very happy.

Thank you once again for your comments and we sincerely hope that you visit us once more to see the improvements.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel in June, we are Mother and Daughter and have visited this hotel previously.
We found the food a bit repetitive and not as high a standard as we remember. Having said that, the Olive (Italiatn) and sandal (fish) ala cartes were very good.
Booking for the ala cartes was an unpleasant queuing experience in a morning. They have got 2 machines which with your room key can be used to book and avoid the queue, unfortunately they were not very unreliable so the majority of people ended up in the queue to see the one person taking bookings.
The entertainment team and all the staff were great.
A particular mention to Hasan as a fantastic host for the darts. I cannot praise him enough and he absolutely made our holiday!
Also special mention to Reha who greeted us with a pot of coffee and a smile every morning at breakfast in the dining room, she was fantastic.
I would stay at this hotel again.

3  Thank Natalie S

Dear Natalie,

Merhaba!
First of all we would like to thank you for reviewing Barut Lara Hotel. We will definetley share your nice compliments with our staff members. We are also sorry for the discomfort that you faced during A'la carte restaurant reservation. Rest assured that we are trying our best to have a perfect system that works flawlessly for the benefit of our valuable guests.
We are happy that you and your little daughter have spent a lovely time in our hotel and we surely hope that you will visit us once more in the near future!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I've just recently arrived home from barut lara, being on various holidays over the years, this has been by far my favourite! My first time in turkey, this hotel has made me want to go back again and again! I was devestated to leave, everything was top of the notch couldn't improve any more! What made my holiday the most was the entertainment staff, all topped it off in some way. To start, Ufuk, who made my holiday very special! He had me up dancing every night and had me rushing down to the pool everyday to see him! We became very close and learnt a lot about eachother, he is also an amazing dancer! Amongst that, I forget his name, but the funniest I have to say must be the water polo, john travolta look alike! He made me laugh without a doubt through the whole holiday, next is nemo, the cutest person you will ever meet, he is so adorable and his dancing is ridiculously good and some of his dance moves had me in stitches! Hussain I played darts with everyday and I was known as 'catastrophe' as I was so bad, but he too was funny and kept me on my feet doing activities throughout my time there, they are the few I grew close to, but the entertainment team are the best thing about my time at barut lara and I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to come back next year but it certainly wouldn't be the same without the same people! Holiday of a lifetime I will always remember!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Starstruckk,

Merhaba!
Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor and your kind words in your comment. We are pleased to know that you have had an excellent stay, where you especially enjoyed the animation team and the activities. We hope you will join Barut Lara hotel again for another memorable holiday.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Where to start, I have been coming to this hotel every year since it has opened sometimes twice a year.
This year you can definitely see the difference.
When we were shown to our room, it had 3 full size single beds in it. We went back to reception and explained we only wanted a room with 2 beds in it as there were only 2 of us. I was told that all standard rooms will now have 3 beds each in them. They did manage to find us one with only 2 beds after some heated discussions. The rooms with 3 beds in have also had the bathroom altered with just a shower and no privacy. Plus the rooms look smaller after the reverb.
The only reason I think they have done this is so they get more people in the hotel, which brings me to my next point.
The sunbeds around the main pool now are a joke. There is hardly an inch between them and on average you had 4 or 6 (yes 6) sunbeds for 1 umbrella. It seems the old times when you had plenty of room around your sunbed are long gone as they pack more people in.
The reservation system for booking the restaurants using the new terminals never worked once for us and four of us tried. We did get into it once only for the system to say every restaurant was full, so we got on the end of the LONG queue for guest relations, and booked the restaurant’s that way, although the system was saying no ( it was like the sketch in Little Britain computer says no).
The entertainment of an evening around the pool bar was lacking live bands, but at least they had some new bands. They should have live entertainment at the pool bar every night. The entertainment team I think have lost their way a bit, there are no what I call characters like Bonus for instance who knew how to get people going. You still had them doing their dancing with the old girls of an evening and if that is what you want then I guess you can’t complain. One night we even had bingo around the pool bar, it was ridiculous.
The plus points were that the two new restaurants the Italian and Asian were good restaurants. The staff were also hard working and in some cases like the main restaurant understaffed but working very hard. The bar staff at the main pool bar were also hard working.
So if you are going for the first time you will probably think it is a good hotel, but if you have been coming over the years, the standards have slipped as other reviews have pointed out. In my view the hotel has started to get greedy ( I know they are running a business) by pumping as many people as possible into the hotel. So time for myself and our group of friends, to try other hotels now.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
14  Thank Miseaton

Dear Miseaton,

Merhaba!

At our hotel we value our guest’s feedbacks and that helps us to improve our service. We are also continuously training our service staff . We sincerely apologize for the discomforts that you faced during your last stay at Barut Lara.
Thank you once again for your comments and we really hope that you visit us once more in the future to see the improvements.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a week in June and it was lovely, this was our 4th time at Lara Beach but first time at this hotel previously staying at Lara Beach Hotel, Titanic Hotel and the Delphin Palace. All of which are also really good. Transfer time from airport ~20 mins.

As previously stated on TA first impressions don't give you the wow factor but the hotel is lovely. The rooms are the nicest we have stayed in and are very modern compared to others.

The main restaurant and a la cartes are very good, the only downside is booking the a la cartes, you have to book these 48 hours in advance by either the customer service desk or kiosks but these are usually out of order and the queues at customer service are a pain, if you go later the 8.45 to join the que your more than likely to be unable to get booked into the a la carte you would like. Saying this it is worth the wait as it is nice to be have table service for a change and the food is very good. We used the olive (Italian) and Asian which were both lovely. The main buffet restaurant is good but the choice of food can get repetitive, we hadn't realised until after our 3rd visit to the buffet restaurant that the cooking stations outside are different to the ones inside, we assumed they were all the same. The staff in the restaurants are very good and I liked that you got a bottle of water and the bottle of wine at your table instead of them topping your glass up each time. After a few visits the waiter remembered our drinks and would just fetch them over without us having to order them. Also every morning you can have a champagne (sparkling wine) breakfast which was lovely.

At the pool bars they also have bottles of millers, becks, bud, effes light and dark. They have all the branded spirits in the lobby bar, which is lovely to chill out but the chairs aren't very comfortable to sit in for a long period of time.

Pool areas and grounds are well maintained and spotless, the only downside is people hogging sunbeds and using more than required to dry clothes, etc.

The beach has its own bar which was nice to walk to and have a drink to cool down as there is a nice breeze all the time, we never used the sun beds on the beach as we prefer the pool but there were always plenty of beds and the beach very busy.

Entertainment for us wasn't great but they seemed to keep children entertained, there is also a children's club.

We stayed in a pool room view in main building, Rooms are cleaned daily and towels changed.

All in all a lovely hotel and would recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Pool room view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MrsJ78

Dear MrsJ78,

Merhaba!
Thank you very much for your nice feedback on Tripadvisor. Every positive feedback motivates us more to provide an excellent service to make our guests feel comfortable and welcome. It would be great to welcome you again at Barut Lara where you can enjoy another fantastic stay.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Just back from staying in the Barut Lara after 1 weeks hols which was our 1st time in Turkey.
I honestly did not know what to expect having read all the previous reviews and also having picked the hotel ourselves ( our travel agent had suggested 2 diff ones)
All the lovely things:
Only 20 mins from airport- transfers were included in out hol- we were at our hotel in no time!
Check in very swift
We had side view sea room view was amaze- I wouldn't pay the extra £200 for full sea view when the side view was great plus you could sit out on the balcony and enjoy the views.
The resort is huge much bigger than I had thought- the grounds are beautiful
The rooms are quite big - including a sofa and a reading table- always spotlessly clean!
We tried 4 of the al a carte restaurants- the seafood, Asian, Mediterranean and Turkish- all v gd though the Turkish and Med were the best! You do need to book 1-2 days in advance ( you can't book your whole week in 1 day either- which is annoying) we had to use the reservations desk to book as the machines in the lobby did not work properly when we were there ( again annoying). The buffet was not bad Altho the choice was often the same on the 2 nights we were there. The service however in all restaurants was brilliant the staff work so so hard, we opted to tip every night (they have tip jars provided) tho many people did not- the choice is yours!
The front desk will change larger denomination notes into smaller for you. You can pay in the shop with lira or euro and I saw some ppl with US dollar.
There are a number of bars in the hotel - we loved Yasmine (the garden bar) and the pool bar- the choice of drinks are huge with many branded names! My husband drank the local effes beer and said it was lovely! At breakfast you could also have a little champagne cocktail if you fancied it!!
Nightly entertainment was quite good- a 9.30 show each night- we never went as this is not our scene , however the pool bar entertainment was usually a band which we always enjoyed! It's all over at midnight though which may be early for some!
It's def a family friendly hotel with families and couples easily mingling together which I thought was nice! The kids were in the bar often up to midnight but having no kids ourselves never was an issue!
Pools looked fab although we spent all out time at the beach - it's at the end of the grounds- you can get a golf cart down if you don't fancy a walk! Beach was sandy/ pebbles very hot on your feet but we always walked along the board walk planks and went along the pier and into the sea to save the feet! Always empty sun loungers and every 2 sun loungers have a small table and parasol( shade is essential it's sooo warm!) there is a beach bar at the beach serving drinks only- excellent slushy drinks, iced coffee and all alcoholic drinks as well!
There are guys who take professional pics- well worth checking these out as we got some taken which were lovely and only cost 20euro to buy!

Opportunities
The mini bar is restocked daily but I found it odd there were only ever 1 tin of beer each day - if both guests liked beer 1 would have to run to lobby bar to get one - I think if your paying the money for the hotel it's little things like this that make a diff!
My husband always wondered why the shampoo was replaced each day but the replacing of bath foam was hit or miss- weird!
The restaurants all close at 9.30- very early in our eyes as we usually only like to eat at around 8.30-9 on hols- even a 10.30 close would be better!
I personally would like to see the breads etc in the buffet covered as I'd be worried about flies getting on them- again this is just me!

I have to say we had a great hol overall but 1 week was enough for us! We usually do a multi stop hol city break and then resort as we like to be active on hol! :-)

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Mairead M

Dear Mairead,

Merhaba!
First of all we would like to thank you for reviewing Barut Lara Hotel.
We are happy that you have spent a lovely time in our hotel and we surely hope that you will visit us once more in the near future!