“Fair price for a fair holiday”

Kervansaray Lara Hotel
Ranked #149 of 229 Hotels in Antalya
“Fair price for a fair holiday”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I travelled with my wife and 2 year old daughter for a 2 week holiday on June 13th. On arriving in the early hours, we were checked in quite quickly and made our way to our room. Waiting for us was a fruit basket, wine, dressing gown and slippers. We were hungry after travelling and there was no food until breakfast but this was not a big problem.

Room-
Very nice room, the blue and red lighting was good (although a bulb was on its way out leaving an annoying flicking on and off above the bed) it was generally clean and tidy. We had 2 single beds that we pushed together and a travel cot. There was plenty of toiletries for us and hair dryer, safe, kettle and mini bar with soft drinks. We were told the mini bar would be stocked everyday but it wasn't for 3 days in a row which was disappointing. The rooms were cleaned daily... Bins emptied beds made and fresh towels.The maid wasn't great at replacing toilet rolls, took one of the dressing gowns without replacing it aswell as our daughters bed sheet which was never replaced. The TV had 2 English news channels.... Luckily the world cup was on so it didn't matter so much but not ideal when we needed to be in the room to keep our daughter out the heat for a bit. The air conditioning system in the room was good.

Beach -
Plenty of sunbeds, bar/restaurant close by and a bathing area on the pier. Bit pebbly and you can't walk along it because each hotel has it's own part of the beach. They have all the water sports there aswell so overall it was ok.

Food/Restaurants -
Found ourselves eating the same things but there was plenty there. Turkish nights with kebabs were great and the dessert selection was also good. The drinks machines were not very good, fruit juice was often ridiculously strong or the opposite. Waiters would fetch one drink to your table for you in the evening but often took the order and forgot about it so ended up fetching our own anyway. Tried the Chinese restaurant once... It was really good. Food and service was faultless. The downside to meal times was other guests which the hotel can't help. They didn't seem to understand there was plenty there and it won't run out. People pushing in, rude and no manners. Piling plates high with food which meant having to wait for more to come out. We have stopped at all inclusive hotels before and never experienced this issue but again, this is down to the guests and not the hotel. There was a kids corner but they had cleared all the food by 19:30 so it was often gone by the time we went to eat.

Pools-
Bars close by, plenty of sunbeds. There was a baby pool which was handy, a nice quiet pool which we tended to use and a bigger pool with slides and the entertainment.

Entertainment-
The kids disco was fantastic and staffed well. Our daughter looked forward to it every night and they encouraged parents to join in. There was entertainment on most nights which was alright. Some were really good but I suppose it's down to individual taste. 2 of the nights was bingo which you had to pay for so we didn't join in. One night was live music in the beach bar and nothing on the stage because there was a private wedding going on. 2 nights were turkish dancing and 2 were a shadow dancing show so it was not really varied enough for a 2 week stay. We found ourselves back in the room for 11pm most nights.

Photography-
The single biggest disappointment and frustrating event of the holiday. The hotel "Foto team" the photographers kept taking photographs in the evenings and approaching us by the pool to have some done. We first said we would rather wait until the second week to have a tan and eventually agreed to have a half hour slot. We were told there was no obligation to buy any and the shoot was free. We had the photos done and the photographer was great with our daughter, very nice and very pleasant. We agreed to meet to look at them later in the evening and he sat us down to look at a slide show. 136 pictures. After leaving us to look through them, he told us the pictures were 7 euros each and asked how many we wanted, maybe 50? The photos were nice and could have happily picked 20-30 but not at that price with the money we had. On saying we were thinking maybe 4 or 5 I have never seen an attitude change so quickly. He was rude and obnoxious and said "fine! You choose, I"ll delete all of them as we look. If you want it say yes, if not, I"ll delete" when my wife was taking her time to decide he was hurrying her and saying " I said yes or no!" She got it down to about 20 and he demanded our room number and started calculating the price. I told him we still had to get down to 4 or 5 and he said he had told us to say yes or delete and demanded our room number again when she was down to choosing between 8-9. He was that bad, ordinarily I would have got up and left but I knew my wife really wanted some so in the end, I paid 28 euros for a very poor service and average photos. It was awkward seeing
him around the hotel after and he refused to acknowledge us on seeing us again.

Overall-
We paid £1800 which I think was a fair price. The bar staff and others were polite and pleasant. After reading some of the reviews about rude staff, I only found this with the photographer and once with the towel man. Gave him 3 cards, he gave 2 towels and had a tantrum when he was challenged. He counted his cards, realised he was wrong and still had a bad attitude. In fairness, if I stood behind a bar with the amount of bad mannered rude guests that refused to say please or thank you, I'd have a bad attitude. The staff seemed surprised when I said please or thank you and acknowledged it.

All the moaning about corridors and lifts? Of course the corridors are hot in 40 degree heat but who spends all their time in the corridors? The lobby and bars were all air conditioned and the lifts were no issue at all as there is one close to each room.

The gym facilities were good, no real gym etiquette with wiping down equipment after use and putting weights back, but manners of other guests on the whole were non existent.

If your turn right out of the hotel there are shops for a couple of miles. Yes they are all fake designer stuff but there it's lots to look at and we had a couple of afternoons out shopping. Even had a couple of turkish shaves for a fiver and they were great!

Considering we didn't check in until the early hours of the Saturday morning, I was not happy at how much we had to pay out to keep the room on after 12pm. 40 euros until 6 or 60 euros until 9. With our 2 year old, we had no choice but to pay it as we didn't get picked up until after 11pm. They would have allowed us to keep eating and drinking regardless so to pay that amount for a bed for a few hours afternoon sleep for her before flying was just a money spinner.

Hopefully this is a balanced review, the hotel is exactly as I said and is a fair price for a fair holiday. I didn't expect 5 stars for that price but it was a pleasant break overall with just a few disappointments.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Jack Z
Kervansaray H, Guest Relations Director at Kervansaray Lara Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear our valued guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing your opinions in detail about our hotel .
We're glad to fix your satisfaction with the room comfort and cleanliness, staff quality, beach and pool side of the hotel while, we're sorry about the fact that the hotel could not meet completely your expectations and you found fair the overall quality of the hotel.No matter positive or negative all of the details you gave in the review are going to be re-evaluated by Hotel Management. Your opinions and suggestions matter us.
But, as Kervansaray Hotels, we’re always open to every kind of opinion and suggestion for improving our service quality. Just for info: our photography section is not managed by our company and we could not check their price list and routine operation. But by your review we'll be more careful about the mentioned section and it will be re-inspected by our responsible teams.

Many thanks again for giving us feedback about your stay.

We hope to see you again in our hotel and to fulfill our your vacation needs and expectations.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel was amazing. I wasn't expecting something such from Antalya. It was my first time here and this hotel was out of words. The pool was pretty big and had much space for everyone to fit. The restaurants were really good too. I really liked the meals in this place. When we checked out the hotel from its website it looked more than it is how you see. So we had better expectations about looks but looks don't matter right. I enjoyed the holiday really much, thanks to everyone that helped me in the hotel. The rooms were really tidy and comfy too.

I totally recommend going to this hotel. So if you ever come by Antalya, this is one of the 10 hotels you would want to visit and have a relaxing time.

Room Tip: Since I stayed only in one room and did not change it I cannot help you choose a good room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jason A
Dear Mr. Jason,

First of all, we'd like to thank you very much for choosing Kervansaray Lara Hotel among endless choices and sharing your positive opinions here.

It's very pleasing to see your complete satisfaction with Kervansaray.

With the wishes of welcoming you again with the best vacation memories.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Just back yesterday from two weeks in this large but impressive hotel. The staff go the extra mile to make your stay there a memorable holiday. The food was varied and very good, there was entertainment every night. The bedroom was a good size same as in brochure. Would def go back.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Margaretreilly
Dear our valued guest,

Prinarily, thanks a lot for sharing your positive opinions and for your kind recommendation.

It's very pleasing to see your overall satisfaction with your stay in our hotel.

With the wishes of welcoming you again with the best vacation memories.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I never normally leave reviews after a holiday but I feel I should definitely leave one for this hotel.

Firstly, I honestly don't understand all the negative reviews this hotel has received. After reading them before we went I was slightly worried but we soon realised after arriving we had nothing to worry about. I travelled with my boyfriend for 10 days in June and we had the best time, it was both of our first times to Turkey and we would go back!

We arrived at 1am and were checked in quickly with no hassle, we had to wait a little while but the receptionists can't do two things at once. They had the restaurant open so we were able to have some dinner after a long journey which was nice.

The room was spotless and cleaned every day (we were normally in bed when they knocked and they would always come back later in the day to do it!).

The beach and pools are lovely - slides are very fun! Dj in the day around the main pool which was nice for the younger people. There is a quiet pool if you'd rather relax and not be near the music so you had the option of the two.

The animation team are great, they are constantly on the go trying to get people involved and upbeat which was nice. There were pool parties and beach parties in the evenings which were good! They laid out all cocktails and had a firework show.

Overall, we had a lovely holiday and the complaints about this hotel are very petty. There are plenty of other much more luxury hotels on the same strip and if you expect 5* then you should pay the extra to stay there. We paid £600 for 10 days and we felt this was the right mind of price. If your looking for a nice hotel, this ticked all our boxes without being too 'fancy'.

The only slight negatives I would have are:

1) The staff don't speak much English (hardly any to be honest) which makes it difficult if you have questions but there is a Thomson rep onsite every day and the guest relation team girls are good at English.

2) there isn't much outside the resort apart from shops. No bars or anything unless you get on the bus for a 45 min journey to the main town centre/harbour.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank ChloeTodd
Kervansaray H, Guest Relations Director at Kervansaray Lara Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Choloe,

Firstly,thanks alot for choosing Kervansaray and sharing your precious holiday experiences here.
We're pleased to see that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

Hopefully, we welcome you again as soon as possible and provide you again a nice holiday.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I see some reviews not really good, but the time I was last year end of Apr and begin of May, I loved it, I enjoyed every single day, the dinning facility was great and the dinning ppl were great. The beach was nice, the pools were great but I did not use them much as I love the Sea. I give 4 stars to the hotel, I had really great time.

Room Tip: Nice hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear our valued guest,

Many thanks for choosing Kervansaray and sharing your constructive opinions about youe stay with us.

We're pleased to see your overall satisfaction with the service points and hotel quality. Additionally, it's pleasing as well to fix that you chose Kervansaray for your first visit to Turkey.

Hopefully, we welcome you again and assure you again a beautiful holiday.

London
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here for 11 nights from 30th may. We went in a group of 9 friends as we do every year. Our expectations were high considering the details and pictures in the brochure. When We arrived at the hotel it looked nice and big however straight away as we went to check in, were left waiting for 20 mins at reception whilst the guy on the desk casually stayed on the phone knowing that we were waiting to check in! Oh and this was at 1.30am so naturally we just wanted our rooms asap to relax. Finally when we checked in, we went to our rooms which looked really nice. Everyone else in the group booked standard rooms but i had booked and paid for a sea view. Looking at our view we told reception it was not a sea view and their reply was that the all the sea view rooms were taken. Naturally i complained and said that we paid for it so we should get it! It was only after talking to the rep that after 4 days we were upgraded to a proper sea view room. Funny how it magically became available! Another issue we had was that apart from the rep and guest relations, no one spoke English. Even to find guest relations was hard as they were not always at the desk in the time of need! The staff in the bars were so rude we never went back. The hotel was full of locals, we were practically the only tourists. The pictures of the pools were taken at such an angle as to make them look huge which was a huge disappointment! and they were freezing! including the jacuzzi and indoor pool! The animation team were rubbish. The hotel had two tv channels showing all the entertainment they offer. After viewing it a couple of times and being bored to death by the pool i asked them about the equipment in the video, their reply was 'we haven't received them yet'? So how exactly did they make the video? Anyway so as that was a myth we decided to explore the area. Nothing was to our liking and there was very little to do. Taxis cost us £30 return for places that were not even far (but a bit too far to walk). The food i have to say was excellent, great choice every night and the housekeeping was good. Although they can only be described as dumb! I asked for a an extra duvet and he came up with two sheets the first time! Then my partner spoke to then to make sure they understood (he's Turkish so speaks the language) and the second time he came up with a bed! Yes, a bed! And said that he bought this up instead because they ran out of duvets! I could only laugh but be annoyed at the same time. These people don't speak English or Turkish whats going on? Overall i would say based on my experiences this is not a tourist friendly hotel and the area in which its situated is beyond boring for the average tourist. We payed £750 for this holiday and it was an absolute waste. We were so disappointed with the whole holiday that we are booking somewhere else now as we didn't feel like we had a holiday. Don't waste your money and don't go by the pictures in the brochure they are very deceiving.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Fay_reena17
Dear our valued guest,

Firstly,thank you for sharing your impressions about your holiday in Kervansaray.
We'd like to kindly underline the fact that we're very sorry to see your dissatisfaction with some service points of the hotel. Please be sure that all the guest feedbacks are meticuluosly taken on board and accepted as an opportunity to improve the usual service quality. Your opinion matters us very much.

On the other hand, especially some of your feedbacks surprised us. As you appreciate, in the context of international procedures in hoteliers sector, check in time starts from 14:00, while check outs start from 12:00. With all due respect we could not understand completely the problem you faced with about late check in. Reception is a department open to the consultation of the guests not only face to face but also by phone. If the team gives you an impression of indifferent, on this opportunity we'd like to apologize you. Just for informing you, we'd like to mention as well we have a very detailed and changing entertainment programme which can be organised depending on the guest attendance. So,if the guest attendance stays poor at some activities, they are cancelled and replaced with the others. Guest Relations is a team easily accessible. On the hotel concepts which are given to every new guests on arrival, the phone number of Guest Relations is notified in written.
Relating to your comment about the local guests in the hotel, we'd like to momentously state that we welcome our guests coming from varied countries ; we never choose or categorize our guests according to their nationalities.

By finding out the staff we do not only give importance to branch knowledge but also, to their personality, competency, knowledge of foreign languages and to their ability to adaption of guest satisfaction oriented approach.
In-service training of all of our staff is one of the most considerable part of our approach.
Despite the infos underlined in accordance with our main strategy above, we would like to notice you that we've taken in consideration all of the impressions you shared here, precisely and with pleasure.

Many thanks again for sparing time evaluating our hotel.

With the wishes of welcoming you again and providing you better holiday memories.

Kindest regards,

Travellers are raving about these Antalya hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel with our daughter, son in law and three grand daughters and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Plenty of food and drink. Entertainment good. Our grandchildren loved the kids club and disco and we would like to thank Leo, Natalia and Geoghan for making our girls feel so special and taking the time to play with them. After being home a day they want to go back. Rooms were spacious and clean, everywhere in the hotel was clean. Our baby kept the cleaners busy with her eating habits but they didnt complain and always played with her at mealtimes. We certainly couldn't have felt more welcome. If you have young children and feel intimidated in England that your children aren't welcome in restaurants dont worry it is not a problem here. I would certainly recommend this hotel if you have young children.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank KarenFox
Kervansaray H, at Kervansaray Lara Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Karen,

Firstly,thank you so much for choosing Kervansaray and sharing your very positive review here.
We're glad to see that you enjoyed your holiday with us and that we managed to meet your holiday expectations in general.

Hopefully, we have the opportunity to welcome you again as soon as possible and to assure you again a memorable holiday.