“Wish we could have stayed longer”
Review of Samira Resort

Samira Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Kalkan
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This year we chose to rent a villa in Kalkan Turkey and to be honest after reading some of the negative reviews were worried we had done the wrong thing. Well I am pleased to say I had nothing to worry about. We have previous done all inclusive so having a villa I was concerned our boys (12,16) may get a liitle bored with our company. To be honest they did but the Villa we rented was part of the Samira Deluxe Resort so not only did we have the luxury of our own space we also got to use the more social resort facilities. Lots of people of all ages and very friendly. The staff were great too.
Villa No 3 was perfect, beautiful surroundings with a view to dye for and a lovely pool, fully equipped if we decided to cook for ourselves. I am afraid to admit we did not as there were over 150 restaurants to chose form, so we decided to support the local economy. The food in Kalkan is lovely though I have to say if I see another piece of meat I may turn veggie. All the restaurants compete for your trade so expect to get a little hassled but a polite no thank you and you are left to go your own way. Deciding where to eat is another story! As all will say the nearing the harbour the more expensive it will be but eating on the front is a must at least once, just to watch the harbour at night. We ate on the front half way up and near the top with the Ata (at the top) being the most reasonable but equally as good. I do recommend the Kaya near the tesco ( yes they get everywhere) if only for the magician waiter who was excellent. As for Kalkan it's self it was a little livelier than I had expected but It is truly beautiful and has something for all ages. The beach clubs are gorgeous and if you have teenagers the water sports are great fun, the gullet trip a must (seabella a gorgeous boat with diving platform and sun lounges). Patara beach great fun especially the waves and make sure you go round the ruins that date back to 2BC and is the birth place of good old Saint Nick.
I read before going that someone said the Brits had spoilt Kalkan, it is not the sleepy fishing port if once was but like all places they have move with the times to keep business and I feel they have done this quite well.
If you like to shop there is plenty to bankrupt you but don't expect to get really cheap knock offs they pride themselves with the 'Genuine Fake' and these don't come cheap, unless of course you go to Market on Thursday when things are more Taiwan than Tiffany's so check things over before you part with cash, and haggle!
To some it up if you are thinking of going do you will have a great time, but if you are looking for quaint you may wish to think again as it has moved with the times.
We would go back.
Oh one more thing, everyone is right about the hill, use a taxi! X

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Annette051

Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Samira Deluxe and as soon as we arrived we were made to feel very welcome. All of the staff are fantastic and friendly. They all seem to put in the hours, as they are always there in the morning, during the day and evening. They have a very consistent high standards & I would love to come back. This hotel may be hard for unfit/older people to get up and down from the beach, as it is a good walk, but we managed it no problems at all! There are lots of friendly and very cute cats walking around resort, one of which decided we were his new owners!! Good times!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank David P
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just returned from a two week stay in samira, hotel very clean, bedrooms quite spacious, excellent air con which was free of charge, staff very pleasant and helpful they went out of their way to help, Fatima on reception very good. Views from this hotel was stunning, taxis cheap and always plenty of them, don't usually go back to the same place but enjoyed our stay that much we have already booked again for 2014.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank karen w
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I have just returned from 2 weeks in hotel. Absolutely loved Kalkan. Hotel was very nice, very clean and very comfortable. Air conditioning as standard. The hill was steep but the walk down was easy, it was the walk back! However taxis are £4 and we used them. Quick and easy. The food at the Samira was nice, chicken salad, pizza, proper chips too. Staff couldn't do enough for you. Pool was clean and inviting. Usually I like the sea but we stayed by the pool more often than not, this was due to the walk mainly but I didn't miss the sea!
We have already booked a villa for next year and I have been recommending the hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andam4231
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this Holiday Complex. We stayed in the Apartments, room 105 and had a one bedroomed apartment. There was aircon in the bedroom at no extra charge, and we had a pool / sea view balcony which was great. The staff were really friendly, and the cleaning staff worked so hard and we always got a cheery hello.

The only negative was the shower was a tiny fixed narrow cubicle, and everytime I washed my hair I flooded the bathroom as I had to open the doors! I got used to it though

We paid for food and drink each time we ordered, and didn't have the problems other people have descrbed. We would occasionally check with Fatima on reception that nothing was ever incorrectly charged to our bill and we never had any issues. Although they do still request your room number whenever you buy food/ drink.

Sunbed situation was great the first week, as people were sensible and got a sunbed when they wanted to use one. The second week was a bit silly as the School holidays had begun and a lot of people would get up early and reserve blocks of sunbeds, but not use them for 3 hrs plus! Very frustrating and unneccessary!

The Samira Resort is on the outskirts of Kalkan, but this really is only a short work over the fly over and you are straight into the centre. I would recommened the cab back for 12 TL (£4).
Best places to eat were Hunkar in the town centre, a bench is outside and there are always people waiting for a table. This is good value , honest food, with a fast table turnaround and friendly staff. We ate there three times, and wish we had found it earlier. Kalkan Kebap next door is also very good. The first week we had eaten at a few of the roof top restaurants, which are nice, but in my opinion not as good value or enjoyable as the more basis Hunkar and Kalkan Kebap.

Overall I could not fault this holiday, and would definitely return

Room Tip: Room 105 was a good room as had a seaview/ pool view balcony. Very small shower though, so if you a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ChillaxHols
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Me and my girlfried just got back this morning from Samira Hotel. Was the best holiday I've ever been on. The staff were all so welcoming a friendly, the views from the poolside were beautiful looking over the sea. Fatima who worked reception would help with all enquiries and help wherever she could. The food was lovely and the all you can eat breakfast buffet was different but very nice. Already planning a return next year. The 'hill' in other reviews is not a major problem with the free shuttle service the hotel runs and if you want to keep yourself fit it's definitely worth walking. The rooms had air con and we're cleaned daily.

Overall the holiday was 10/10

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank laney1991
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Just got back from 2 weeks at the Samira Resort and enjoyed it that much have booked again for next year. The rooms and pool area were really clean and the staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you. The views from the hotel are stunning. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013