“Safe NOT Safe”

Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Kalkan
London
“Safe NOT Safe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have stayed here before about 4 years ago and had a really lovely holiday ,so was well familiar with the set up ,I have been to Kalkan 3 times before and stayed in villas but since I thought I might be alone this year and got a really great deal on a self catering apartment ,
I booked it in January and stated I had mobility issues but on arrival was told by the manager there was no ground floor accommodation in the apartments and I could go in the hotel with free breakfast and Lunch which some people would be really happy I said sorry no so after a shuffle he gave me a first floor apt
I requested a safe as I was carrying English cash as exchange rate is better in Turkey then UK,
2 days into my stay I asked for my bag from the safe which is behind the reception I took what I thought was £200 (in bundles of £100 )I went of to the PTT to exchange it to lira and discover one of the bundles was £20 short and the other was £10 short ,on returning to the hotel I request to talk to the manager who said YOU have made a mistake and you will remember what you spent your money on and come to me to say sorry its impossible to steal from the safe you have the only key NO I will not be sorry I know how much money I had and its very clever the way the money was taken at which I was told you haven't paid yet for the safe and you have a bar bill for 87lira ,At this point I walked away the next day after reading reviews I am not the only one this has happened to I decided to talk to him regarding the safe issues and said you need to look at your CCTV one of your staff are stealing from the guests and to me it is £30 but this is your business and he said I dont know why people are reporting this on line when I gave them the money at NO point did he offer me the money but since I still had 10 days to go I kept it so my self only telling a friend who said he had had half a bottle of Gin go from his fridge and reported it and was told maybe your 17 yr old son drank it ,
This is all very sad as this really was a good hotel 4 years ago ,
The bar staff are great and didn't overcharge my room for anything thanks for the cocktails at the pool Fred
Thank you Murat for coming to say sorry about the whole safe situation more than the Manager did ,
The rooms are great value and I didn't even mind the hills as a taxi is £3 ,
I will be returning to Kalkan next year but sorry not to this hotel if you stay here be very aware and DO NOT USE THE SAFE lock your stuff in your suitcase its safer or get a box at the PTT in town as they have CCTV that works !!

Room Tip: 103 side room first floor so no view
1 Thank Karen53London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Samira which was a change for me as I have been many times to Kalkan (I also got married here) and never actually stayed in a hotel for a full week - mainly because we have stayed in friends appartments etc, but as a change we decided to stay here mainly due to the fantastic deal we got with Travel Republic.

As with previous reviews this hotel is not suitable for people with mobility problems as getting down and back up to the hotel from the centre is pretty tough and especially when its around 34 degrees. However if you want a relaxing holiday by the pool and just go on organised trips then this place is ideal.

The staff are lovely and very helpful especially the guys behind the bar/waiters, Hakan and Memo, little Ali and baby :). The rooms and pool area are kept spotless. The breakfast is a little boring as its virtually the same everyday but I'm used to Turkish breakfasts and you can order your full english if you want. Happy Hour is good as they make lovely cocktails at 10 lira each which is pretty reasonable - Blue Dream is lovely. The Turkish night was good but I felt that the hotel could do with having more entertainment on in the evenings, it was pretty boring after Happy Hour had finished at 5pm. You also need to keep a check on what is being added on to your bill as we had several drinks added that weren't ours and I eventually got them to take them off our bill. I would recommend paying daily so you know what you are paying for. Considering we only paid £85 each (my Mum was with me) for a week's B & B I thought it was good value for money and would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget. Had a nice relaxing holiday which was much needed.

1 Thank CHERYL D
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Having been to kalkan three times before I knew the Samira well although never stayed here before. Upon arrival we had our luggage taken care of and after a quick check in we were shown to our hotel room. The rooms were clean and spacious, lots of coat hangers provided and plenty of drawers for clothing too. As we arrived quite late we went to bed straight away. We got up early the next morning for breakfast which was a standard continental. Breakfast is served next to the pool which is great as we could grab our sunbeds straight away, plenty to choose from with parasols. The views from the hotel are wonderful as you are so high up the mountain, which isn't too bad when walking down to the town, definitely catch a taxi back up though! We were paying around 10-12 lira for a taxi which worked out at about £2.50! All the staff at the hotel are wonderful, very helpful brothers on reception during the day and the bar staff are great to have a laugh with! Will definitely stay at the Samira again!

• Stayed July 2014
South Shields, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Kalkan is situated on the base of the Tarsus Mountains and in turn very hilly, The Samira Resort is about a 20 min walk into town (a steep hill but well worth the view) . Samira Resort have a shuttle bus which runs at 19.45 and returns at 22.30 ( we never used it ) .

We went self catering , 1 bed apartment room 403 (great view of Kalkan) .Room was a little dated and needs upgrading but it was cleaned daily by Fatima and Remmi , who work very hard and are wonderful people. Free air con in bed room , lounge and kitchen area remain not to hot due to position of the room.

Restaurant has a good menu , but we only ate there twice (food was okay nothing special). I would advice people watch their bar bill as one staff member tried to not return our change. Also on checking out they said I owed money from the bar ( I paid each time we ordered). Although have to give a high five to Yasia a lovely young man starting his bar career , he was great and worked hard to please people.

Pool area was spotless and cleaned daily.

Overall an okay hotel but it was spoiled but the members of bar staff , trying to charge extra. Will defiantly be returning to Kalkan

Room Tip: Book a room over looking the pool and as high up as possible x for fantastic view
Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We decided to take a week holiday in Kalkan to surprise friends of ours who were at the Samira Resort. We booked with Thomas Cook at the Samira Resort Hotel where they were staying. We arranged for a 1 bedroom apartment. The Samira Resort also had a large number of hotel rooms across from where the part nets were situated. We were very pleased with the accommodation, the rooms were spacious albeit a little dated but comfortable and very clean. There was AC available in the bedroom. The hotel was quite a walk from the main town although a bus was available to take you to the bus station in the town at certain times of the day and night.
All the staff were very pleasant and helpful and we would not hesitate to stay there again. We were self catering but their restaurant was available with a very good menu. The pool area was clean with lots of sunbeds and umbrellas.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Stephanie707
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Kalkan is beautiful and The Samira is a fantastic base from which to explore this lovely area of Turkey. We stayed here four years ago and we would not hesitate to stay here again. The staff are very helpful and we found they just left us alone to enjoy our stay. We were in a one bedroom apartment, which was clean, spacious and very pleasant. They provide free air conditioning in the bedroom (which we certainly needed and used every night). Fatima cleaned our room and changed the towels daily. There was plenty of hot water even if you showered late at night. We found the bar to be reasonable and the bar staff friendly. Fatima's husband Rami was delightful and such a friendly face around the complex. We enjoyed the walk into the centre and although it's rather hilly, you most certainly walk off all that lovely Turkish food and those ice cold beers on offer! The local beach is lovely, although pebbly with beautiful cold, clean water. All the Turkish families visited in the afternoon.

Top Tips -We enjoyed the Turkish food and ate in Hunkar Ocakbasi on a number of occasions and would highly recommend it for the meaty, traditional food. It was so cheap and always full of Turkish people. We also ate twice at The Small House, a family restaurant with only five tables, which offers a fantastic meze starter and a good selection of meat and fish on the main menu. You will need to book at least three days in advance. Begonvil is fantastic for BBQ fish and very reasonable. Again we ate there on four occasions.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jjhenshaw
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I had been to Kalkan with family before staying in a villa but been to the Samira for the Turkish night and for several dinners. For my first 'girls holiday' i decided to take two friends back to Kalkan as we wanted nightlife but with quaint towns and lovely beaches with things to do in the day (something as far away from Kos and Kavos as poss!).

Upon arrival, the staff were very friendly, helping us with baggage instantly. They had upgraded us to the penthouse at the top of the apartment block with a HUGE balcony and there was no extra charge which set the holiday off right form the start. The 360' view was fantastic: beautiful mountains behind us, and a view of the hotel pool and bar, sea and rest of town in front.

The self catered apartment was different to the photos, and we believe it was one of the updated, refurbished rooms as it was nice and modern. The facilities were standard but the showers were bigger than expected which was good. As mentioned before, the balcony was huge and was fantastic.

The staff on reception everyday were helpful and friendly and we enjoyed conversing with them especially about learning Turkish. We asked them for another set of towels as we were only provided with 2 and there were three guests and they happily said they would be with us at the end of the day however they weren't as i think they probably forgot. Apart from that they were prompt when we needed their help. The bar staff were also friendly but some can be seen as a little...not sure what the word is, but if you are in a small group of young girls then just make sure you're sensible as they are 9/10 times being super friendly rather than anything else.

The cleaners were the most happiest cleaners we had ever met in our lives however they only made the beds. I would have like the sheets to be changed once but we were staying only a week so maybe this is normal procedure for self catered. Also, they didnt seem to be able to get rid of this extremely hideous smell that emerged constantly from the second en suite and it was revolting. It dispersed into the bedroom and we couldnt use the bathroom as it was making us wretch. A Language barrier also meant we couldnt really have much done because of it. That is the only bad point we found in our whole stay.

The pool area was very lovely and had a great chilled vibe. We were rarely there as we were so busy but when we were it was nice and the staff were there if you needed any drinks etc.

We would definitely be back next year and may bring even more friends with us next time! Would highly reccommend.

Room Tip: Pick penthouse if you have the option for self catered apartment
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends