“Brilliant - well worth it!”

Guru's Place Restaurant
Ranked #89 of 204 Restaurants in Kalkan
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Local Turkish cuisine. Small menu fresh food.
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant - well worth it!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We came across Guru's on a family holiday a few years ago by chance when he was promoting the restaurant at the local market and we were pleasantly surprised. Although you do have to travel (only slightly) out of the town (not an issue at all as they arrange free pick ups and drop offs to where you're staying and it is well worth the stunning views) the food is AMAZING (as is the wine). Guru cooks up some real Turkish food and has some delicious local wine too. A must if you're in Kalkan! We loved is so much we've been back twice.

• Visited June 2013

• Turkish first
San Francisco, California
“Great cooking class!”
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I took a cooking class at Guru's. We were lucky (once again) to be the only two in the class. Huseyin's sister, Duygu, was our teacher and was super friendly, patient, and helpful. The restaurant is very cute and they picked us up and dropped us off at our hotel. The food was delicious, local, and much of it from Duygu's garden. The wine served with the food was lovely. Great experience! The only suggestion I would make would be to print out the recipes for us.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“amazing!”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We accidentally discovered this restaurant on our way to fethiye.

Id recommend it to anyone just because i loveddddd the ambiance and decor,
Very friendly service and tasty food.

hope to go back one day and join the cooking class.

• Visited September 2013
Virginia
“Fabulous Food & Cooking School”
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our cooking class at Guru's Place! We learned how to make a main dish and delicious desert. Our instructor was very knowledgeable and made the class fun. We also came back a few days later for dinner. The place was completely full with a large party for a local hotel that was shutting down for the winter. Hussein was still able to squeeze us in and fixed up a nice variety of foods for us. Everything seemed fresh and delicious!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank miayercat
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Terrible...an off day I hope because others like it!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I debated whether to write this review after going there in June...after all a man's livelihood is at stake and it seems awful to give only one star, the first I have given, but it's no use just describing places that are great and glossing over the bad ones.
My first issue is that we were collected from our hotel in Kalkan and taken out of town (it's about 6 miles). We were promised a taxi back when we had finished eating but that agreement was rescinded and we were forced to wait until another couple had finished eating quite a long while afterwards and put into a taxi with them, going all around the houses until we finally got back. Not a big deal perhaps, but there have been many occasions where I have been "forced" to trust locals and not behave like a paranoid foreigner, so when that trust is broken, it leaves a particularly bitter taste. Since we are welcomed here with the usual blarney about welcome-to-my-home etc, which is innocuous and pleasant if never truly sincere, it is particularly galling to feel taken advantage of.
So to the meal. Everyone gets the meze or appetisers and frankly they are not bad. In no way inspiring, but fresh and ok if a bit boring. They also took a long time to come in an empty restaurant.No real complaints there though. We were looking forward to some fish since the sea seemed just over a nearby hill but the only things as a main course on the menu were (I think since it was a dog-eared picture menu) was lamb in the oven, meatballs with yogurt and lamb shank. I ordered the lamb shank but was told they hadn't any so I had to have to lamb in the oven. A horrid fatty chunk of almost inedible lamb, cold, on lukewarm pasta of some description, cooked to a mush and utterly horrid. The meatballs my partner had were terrible too with very cold yogurt or whatever over the whole affair. We thought it was pretty poor but by this time had met a gay couple with a splendid dog at the next table who were fun and amusing. The only others were the two girls we got a lift back with. We had the white wine (you don't really get a choice...it is assumed you want a bottle and it's white, rose or red). I have to say I can drink the most outrageous plonk...I've drink Algerian wine where the deposit on the bottle is more expensive than the wine itself...so I'm pretty understanding but this was quite literally the worst wine I've ever tasted...just not made properly...and utterly ghastly. I believe that wine was charged out at 30 TL, about £12, which is higher than usual and laughably over the odds. It just had to be home-made by some dodgy peasant farmer or the cheapest in the shops. In defence, I heard the rose was palatable from the girls. After all this the bill was pretty steep, higher than some terrific places in town, such as The Fish Terrace, and we had to go into the office to pay it, since they hadn't paid the very little extra to have a portable credit card pin thingy...a bit mean really.
All in all, I am sorry to say that I find it unbelievable that they teach anyone to cook, but they apparently do. It seems to be another of the owner's make-money sidelines. If he concentrated on having more than two dishes to eat, cooked them properly and spent more on ingredients, maybe he wouldn't have to work so hard on different enterprises. Would a local eat here? Surely not!

• Visited June 2013