“Seaside Gem”

Caretta Boutique Hotel
Ranked #19 of 28 Kalkan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We've just spent 11 nights at the Caretta and had a really great time, having been made most welcome by the host, Murat, when we arrived late at night. Nothing was too much trouble for him and his staff. We prefer small hotels and chose this one because of the peaceful location about 10 minutes walk from the harbour, the sea swimming and the boat taxi service into Kalkan in the daytime and it proved to be a good choice for us. Our room was on the top floor (plenty of stairs but well worth it for the huge balcony and stunning views). It was kept spotlessly clean and the sheets and towels changed regularly. There was a nice Turkish style buffet breakfast served on terraces overlooking the sea. We look forward to going back there again in the future and the only suggestion we could make to improve the experience would be drink making facilities in the room so that we could spend some more time on the balcony!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jonali50

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Lovely family run hotel with great turkish breakfasts including yummy homemade cakes and donuts! Despite arriving in the early hours of the morning, we were welcomed with open arms and broad smiles! The smiles and warmth remained throughout our stay. Our room overlooked the sea and was originally 2 converted to give a large airy bedroom with sliding doors into the spacious bathroom with a corner jacuzzi bath & fully opening window overlooking the sea - it was really nice. The hotel is situated within an easy 10 minute walk of the town. A torch is useful for walking back at night. No swimming pool - just a small 'spa' type pool but the sea was lovely and warm with plentiful steps down to it. Am already looking into flights for next September or October - having found this diamond, we wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Rooms are contemporary and those overlooking the sea have amazing views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sandiewalters
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I went to the Caretta mid-May to relax, read, listen to the waves... and was very pleased with my stay here. The room was nice with splendid view from the bed + balcony to the seaside/harbour. The owner and staff were relaxed, friendly and descrete.
The breakfast in the morning sun: Turkish quality and good.
Reading at the seaside in Bikini + sometimes T-Shirt: brilliant!
In short: Nice stay!
[The shower in the bathroom has no curtain - but: "bosver !!!"]
I would have liked to stay longer, discovering Kalkan´s mountain area!

Kalkan itself is, to my taste, too much in British hands (Pounds mentioned everywhere, all written in English; restaurants are overpriced and I felt like being in tourist trap in the evening, while walking on the promenade.... It also seems that local staff does no longer work here in town: Turkish from big cities come to work over the summer months here. Tourists are clients... In short: There is a lack of local authentity to my taste.) I would only come in spring or autumn...

After a whole day of reading and relaxation, one has to move a bit, isn´t it?
I was walking on the coast line (you do not get far, though...) and luckily saw the "Öz Adana Kebab", which is located just below the street towards Kas. I had here fish, all kind of Turkish dishes and deserts (!!!), and I was just happy to get here on my evening walks!! You hardly meet tourists here :-), but many locals order food here! Enjoy your meal :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank OneWorldx
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Nice Kind people, good food and most of all the best view of the Kalkan Bay.
Easy to reach, good free boat service. We had a lovely 2 weeks in the clean and nice hotel!
My girlfriend and I really got away in this place from our stressy live.
Chris Olsman

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrisolsman
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 days 3 nights. The views are incredible. The rooms are simple but nice. The A/C wasn't amazing, but the views and beach club make up for it. It is a little out of the way. This is good or bad depending on your point of view. The walk isn't bad into town. Although we always took a taxi back at night. 12 lira from downtown. The dog that lives there is one of the best behaved dogs I've ever encountered. We miss him already. The shower didn't drain all that well, and it was one of those showers that are part of the bathroom, no separation from the rest of the bathroom. Staff was excellent. I didn't love that the main owner wanted part cash and part credit card. He said we didn't need to, but gave the impression that he REALLY wanted us to. I would recommend to anyone. Don't be put off by my negative points. The view and the beach club are absolutely world class.

Room Tip: higher rooms have better views, but there isn't an elevator, so you have to walk up to it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob W
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The location is a long walk from the city center, but I think the secluded location is worth the trip. Beyond the beautiful and secluded location, however, there were serious problems with our experience of staying there two nights. We payed extra for a room with the best view, but were not inclined to enjoy the view outside due to the horrible smell of sewage on our balcony that would come and go regularly. This stench also forced us to close our window and balcony door, making it quite hot and stuffy in our room. Shards of glass were dangerously left over the cement 'beach'.The food in the restaurant was less enjoyable and much more expensive than what we were able to find in a nice restaurant in town with a rooftop balcony. We were also harassed by stray cats throughout our entire meals. Added to this was the disturbance of staff trying to catch or chase them all around us to the point of annoyance and the inability to have a peaceful conversation due to the commotion. I had to kill a giant scorpion on our bedroom floor and there was a rat loudly gnawing on the rafters in our roof at night. In addition to all this, the hotel double-charged my credit cards and it took an inconvenient month of dealing with the hotel and reminding them to please correct their error. All together, the poor experiences made it not at all worth the price of staying there.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Curi0usBean
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This hotel has been quite nicely done up to be classified as boutique & is quite well priced. We had great views & there is access to fabulous swimming in the Mediterranean. It is quite a long way out of town & the road access not great. Luckliy we weren't interested in leaving the hotel area & the food served at their restaurant was good.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple