“Little gem in the heart of Kalkan”

Samira Exclusive Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Kalkan
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just returned from a week's stay at the Samira Exclusive. We had stayed there once before about five years ago but then it was looking a bit tired and dated. I must say they have done an excellent job of the refurbishment. We had booked a standard hotel room but when we arrived were upgraded to one of the new rooftop rooms with out own jacuzzi and stunning views over Kalkan Bay (room 703 if anyone is interested but no good if you can't manage stairs!). I would endorse all the positive comments in the other recent reviews about location, cleanliness and helpful staff. I only had some very minor niggles but I'll mention them just on case the hotel management read this.

WiFi - we couldn't pick up the signal in our room, had to go out onto the terrace or communal areas. When I reported this to reception they were inclined to disbelieve me since they said they had purchased a state of the art system. Every time you log in you have to input your passport number as the user name and room number as the password. Now who on earth memorises their passport number! We found it was easier to log onto WiFi in the local bars and restaurants as you only have to input the password once.

Bathrooms - as someone else said the doors are not good for privacy. In our room you could see whoever was on the loo from the bed. Not a problem for us as we've been married over 30 years but might be an issue for others! The public toilets in the bar area were not much better. The signs for male/female are those symbols with the circles and arrows etc. I can never remember which is which so I was never sure I was in the right one. this is not good when the doors don't lock properly either. in the end I tended to climb up all those stairs to go to the room.

Tea/coffee in room. Great to have a kettle and some tea/coffee/milk sachets in the room but they don't give you fresh supplies each day like other hotels. You have one set for your first day. When I asked for fresh supplies they refused even though I offered to pay so the supermarket next door got my custom instead. I'm sure it wouldn't have cost them that much more just to provide a few extra supplies.

Anyway as I said these are just minor niggles and overall I would recommend this hotel. i'd certainly go there again.

4  Thank Ros G

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was a return visit by my wife & myself for a 3 week stay. We loved it.
The refurb of the hotel has been done to a very good standard.
Zeki, Richard & Savash are suberb & the rest of the team were as freindly & attentive as last year, although perhaps a little bit more of a proffesional attitude could be taken during breakfast by a junior staff member.
We stayed as B&B guests, the breakfast is a little meagre with a cold buffet offering a restricted choice, coffee & tea is provided from a machine but no juice is offered except at an extra cost, as are cooked breakfasts, pancakes etc.
However all the food served at the Hotel (free or purchased) was well cooked & presented, we often had a light lunch at the hotel & went into Kalkan for a feast later on.
We love Kalkan & still have more to see, but our firm fav was the Botanic garden bar, the owners, Nam & Amelia, have created a fantastic open venue & are lovely hosts.
Overall we had a great holiday & really enjoyed our stay at the Samira Exclusive (don't get it mixed up with the other Samira) enough to probably return after a visit to another resort just for a change.

1  Thank Phil G
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This place was so good I am reluctant to write a review as want to keep it a secret. But they deserve it for the amount of effort they have put in renovating the hotel & the great service from their staff.
The room was great, comfy beds, large shower, flat screen tv in the mirror, sea view from the balcony etc....
My only comment which is being very picky is that they could do with a few more electronic sockets baring in mind how many devices people have these days. Also the bathroom door could do with being a bit more discreet.
Pool area was great, plenty of loungers though I wish us bloody Brits would stop copying the German habit of hogging them with their towels 1st thing every morning.
There were also some really comfy beds & sofas to lounge in.
The bar staff Mumin, Richard (sorry I can't remember his proper Turkish name) et al were all fantastic, very friendly & very helpful.
They are not pushy like another review stated. They walk around the pool asking if you want anything so you don't have to move it is called good service & being waitered on.
Also they were not pushy in the evening they would just say hello, good evening & if you wanted a few drinks pre or post dinner they would look after you & keep you entertained.
The breakfast was better than what I had previously experienced in B&B's plenty of choice & the egg option varied each day. Though the only negative is that there is no free juice & the free coffee was rank.
All in all I couldn't recommend this place enough. If we ever come back to Kalkan this will be our place of choice. I just hope that we can get back in.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank James G
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just back from a fabulous week at this location hotel rooms excellent particularly the cleaning staff who looked after us excellently they were very very good at their job and also very pleasant. Would not hesitate to stay here again lovely place. Particularly enjoyed Huncars for a kebab 1 night a must try if you like kekbabs very good quality

1  Thank Maadge21
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was our second visit to Kalkan and we had a perfect holiday last year so there was a lot riding on this hotel! The hotel is spotless, I have never stayed anywhere so clean and the facilities and rooms are perfect. We had a suite by the pool - we were told we were getting a sea view suite but didn't on arrival not that that mattered as we preferred the terrace rather than the balcony. The room was large and we had a spare bedroom as there was only two of us. If you are a party of four I can imagine it would be a little cramped so I would only suggest a suite for a couple or young family. The rooms have some touches making it feel quite luxurious which make you feel like you are staying in a five star hotel. Mumin the bar manager was very attentive and made sure you had everything you needed when round the pool however, the hotel is quite a 'friendly' place I.e if you don't want to make friends with the staff this probably isn't the place for you. The one thing I would point out caused some confusion before we went away. There are 2 Samira hotels in Kalkan, the Samira Exclusive also known as the Samira Hotel and the Samira Deluxe also known as the Samira resort. Don't get the two confused as the latter is far away from town. Overall we had a lovely holiday again and would definitely return to the Samira Exclusive.

Room Tip: The terraces on the ground floor rooms are nice and spacious. You don't get the sea view but it...
1  Thank Kate M
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed here from 21st June 2014 to 2nd July. This hotel was stunning in every way & only minor niggles. The location is in the main town right at the start of all the resturants, bars and shops (Kippa Express part of Tesco next door) and is superb. The quality of the finish to the decor and fittings is exellent througout see our photos (most of the photos on this site are totally out of date as hotel is now completely different (all very modern and up to date now). Electronic entry system on rooms. Electronic door signs and do not disturb sign operated from next to bed in bedroom. Electronic safe (swipe card) in bedroom and was extra £20 for eleven nights. Also there were two aircon units (one i bedroom and one in the kitchen diner area included in the price (usualy have to pay extra) and very good quality free wi-fi which worked !!. There was a flat screen 32" samsung HD tv built into and behind the large mirror in the lounge area which we managed to watch the world cup footy on and some English news channels. Although we were overlooking the bar and pool area it was nice and quiet at night to have a good nights sleep. All the staff were realy friendly and happy about their work and couldn't do enough for you. Special mention to Kaan and Zeke in reception and Mumin by the pool and bar. The pool area was very relaxing and nice and quiet with no loud music to spoil it just nice very hardly audible background music at the bar.The cleanlyness of the place was the best we've ever seen in 16 years of trips to Turkey in the rooms, pool area and bar. Beds and towels were changed every day and rooms thoroughly cleaned. We always managed to get a sunbed by the pool or a nice matress to lay down on in the shade. Hotel supplies nice clean quality towels to use by the pool - nice touch!!. Bar prices were very good and reasonable for good quality food and drink although limited menu for snacks, but plenty of places to pop out to for a change. They don't take money just sign a chit and then pay at reception next day - good if your carefull not so good if you have it large like some did in large groups lol!!. The nice public beach and harbour was a 10-15 min pleasant walk downhill with many routes to choose although some very steep hills !!. Taxi rank was less than 100m away. Dolmus's do not go around the town as they stop at bus station at very top of town . Many different free boats at end of harbour (near to public beach) to go to other beaches and mini resorts along the coast running all day. The town market on a Thurs is a short walk 5-10 mins up hill nearly oposite a large Migros store. there was plenty of cash points around one being just outside front of hotel. Our favourite resturant was the Asian Gate which is just up the road opposite the hotel less than 100m away the Indian food & service was great we went a couple of times. The only slight niggles were no toaster and no microwave and no ice box in fridge to make your own ice (just larder fridge) but ice can be obtained from the bar to take away just a bit of a pain to going there and to keep remembering. I'm sure these small issues will be sorted in time. Overall a totally fantastic holiday and will be booking again sometime soon - comes highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view as these are the best rooms and quiet. Ground floor pool view rooms have a nice de...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 19 July 2014

When we arrived at the hotel our taxi driver apparently parked in the wrong 'spot' and a rather officious chap came out and was rather unpleasant to the poor taxi driver..not the best start ! We had a 1 bed apartment, with the smallest bedroom I have ever slept in, no hooks on back of doors or bedside lights. The apartment was for 4 people but only 2 chairs on the balcony and the balcony was so small we were sat knee cap to kneecap ! Glad I wasn't intending to cook whilst we were away as the kitchen was very basic, a sink, a hob and a fridge/mini bar, which actually had a notice on it saying not for any 'bought in items' !!! where exactly did they think we were going to keep the milk if not in the fridge ? The theme of the hotel seemed to be to flog as many drinks as possible... the chap, who made such a bad impression on our first night, would walk around the pool asking everyone if they would like a drink..every 5 to 10 mins..drove me nuts, especially as the bar was less than 20 ft away, also, when we were heading out in the evening, he would yell across the bar asking if we would like a drink..just a bit desperate ! The pool area was lovely but not enough room between loungers ...my legs are quite thin but I still had to squeeze around to get onto the lounger ! Lovely sofas in the shade ! The hotel was spotlessly clean but there was an awful sickly sweet smell all over the hotel ..like a million Airwick fresheners ! Kalkan itself is very beautiful and so many vibrant colours, shame the hotel rooms didn't reflect this, ours was 'mud' coloured and at a guess so were the rest, nothing in the rooms would actually say that we were even in Turkey ? I would love to return to Kalkan but I would not stay here again or recommend it to my friends..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family