We spent two weeks in The Oasis Hotel, Kalkan, Turkey in May 2010, booked as part of a package with Tapestry, a UK travel Co. This is a small hotel with staff that are, approachable, friendly and they were always willing to help their guests and are attentive without being obtrusive. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the town centre. We stayed in room, 303, it was just about adequate, in size, for a two week stay and was cleaned every day. The bath room had a shower cabinet , the shower head was fixed to the wall, which did not entirely suit my wife. The maid, some days, left flower petals on a folded towel arrangement on the double bed which was comfortable but the duvet was too narrow prompting a nightly power struggle of who got the most cover, Guess who won!
The room had a small balcony which had two chairs, There was a part view of the bay, (see pic) but it looked out over the road and a small rough hill, so was not an attractive proposition for relaxation. The balcony was though, O.K. for drying out washing, which was necessary, given that the hotel asks silly prices, e.g. 11 TL for laundering a t shirt. Guests in the hotel, all complained to one another about the price of the laundry service. The hotel has not grasped the fact that, beyond a certain price level; guests will not entertain it. This comment goes for the fridge prices too. Why an earth would a guest pay a room fridge price of 3.00 TL, for a small 200 ml carton of milk when not 50 metres up the road a supermarket sells the same at 0.67TL ! There was a daily room supply of two tea bags and two coffee satchets and a small bottle of water FOC, but no milk! The hotel's swimming pool is small and surrounded by high walls. I only saw one guest swimming it, during our two week stay. There is an upper sun terrace above it, which looks out over some of Kalkan and its bay and a good breakfast terrace on the same level as the pool. The breakfasts are good, plenty of choice, unhurried, self and waiter service provided. The pool was not a major issue for us, as there are two sister hotels within easy walking distance, namely the Asfiya (closest) and the Likya, (superb) they have bigger pools and sun terraces, which during our stay were not oversubscribed.
On entering the Oasis's front doors, the reception is on the left, down a short corridor and a reception guest room is on the right. Its a nicely appointed room. Behind it is the bar, which we never saw being used. Its just too small and unwelcoming. The architect who designed that area could have done better, why did he not open the whole area up and just screen off the bar when not in use? Its the hotels loss. Anyway, who cares, there are well over two hundred bars and restaurants starting just down the road towards Kalkan and in the other direction there are plenty too. There are flat screen wall TV's in the rooms, but the only english language program available was the Asian BBC world service, not exactly holiday entertainment, but useful for an update of ash and UK airport closures. There is wifi, but did I really want to lug a lap top over two thousand miles for the dubious pleasure of reading my e mails? The hotel should have a lappy available for hire for a few hours. Having said that the hotel reception did let me use their desktop once to read my e mails, but that was a faff, dragging the wired keyboard across the counter and the Turkish keyboards are different in lay out and symbols. All good fun.
The only real negatives were,
1. A generator that occasionally started up and ran for a few hours. Its a huge beast kept outside in its own cage at ground level and it once roared away in the early hours. The guests in room 203 just below us and closer to Jenny, thought they were back in Dalaman airport! In room 303 Jenny's sound level is about equal to the room air con unit, but lower in frequency. If you are sensitive to noise, try not to stay on that side of this hotel.
2. There were, some days during our second weeks stay, after breakfast and in the late afternoons, when a noticeable nasty niff in our room, emanated from the bathroom. A stale cabbage and sewery odour, came in via the air extraction vent in the shower cabinet ceiling. Where as most domestic air extraction units work in conjunction with the room lights, this air extraction system only worked at certain times of the day and the smell started after it went off. The hotel staff promised to investigate, but our stay ended before it was fixed or otherwise.
In summary a value for money hotel, with limited facilities and nice staff. Would we stay there again, yes but only for a weeks stay; for two weeks perhaps look for a bigger hotel and more facilities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- a boutique hotel situated in the picturesque resort of Kalkan, Turkey. Remodelled in 2012, Oasis Hotel incorporates a total of 32 rooms 8 of which have their own private pool, lift, 2 swimming pools and a Spa, as well as restaurant and chillout bar. Oasis Hotel is an adult only hotel. Conveniently situated on the Kalamar Road, the Oasis Hotel is just a 2 minute walk to the centre of Kalkan and 5 minutes from the harbour front. With its great location, it’s a perfect base for your perfect holiday in Kalkan. As part of our exciting expansion programme, we have totally remodelled Oasis Hotel to bring extra facilities and rooms to our valued guests. The first floor of the hotel is now dedicated to a Wellness Spa which incorporates a Turkish bath, massage and treatments rooms. A separate building behind the existing hotel includes six new light and airy sea view suites as well as a further communal pool surrounded by relaxing sunbathing terraces to soak up that Mediterranean sunshine. On the ground floor are two suites each with a private pool just perfect for a romantic getaway. Al-fresco dining in Kalkan is a must, so we have added an outside bar and restaurant serving poolside snacks, lunch and dinner as well as drinks throughout the day. With superb sea views, it’s a perfect place to watch the sun go down with an aperitif before dinner. New for 2014 9 brand new rooms 6 with private pools, 3 deluxe suites and all of them have great seaviews. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Oasis Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oasis Hotel Kalkan