“Non-residents welcome!”

Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Kalkan
N Wales
“Non-residents welcome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed here for a week back in 2010 and as we were back in the area we popped in for a drink as it’s open to non-residents. It has all the charm of Kalkan without the noise. The houses were as cute as we remembered with lots of greenery and flowers. It’s a small hotel so any guests stand out like a sore thumb - it pays to be polite and courteous – although the few guests we met were friendly. The staff are friendly too but discreet and quiet. We enjoyed sitting on a small table in the setting sun reading our books with an Efes and glass of Angora. We took a look at the menu and decided to have some meze as they sounded delicious and were very different to the ones in the restaurants in Islamlar. We chose courgette fritters, Fidanka borek, aubergine and mushrooms with cheese. The whole lot was delicious and well priced considering the quality of the food and the way in which it was served. The bill came to approx 93 TRY for a couple of beers, glasses of wine and the 4 meze. We enjoyed it so much we returned the following afternoon and repeated the experience. Recommended. My only regret is that we didn't go the week we arrived. My loss. Free WIFI (ask the barman for the password). I love this place with its’ quirky charms. In fact, I may well return for a week next year!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bluelizard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I noticed a reviewer who preferred "Bob's place" to Fidanka. There is always someone who can produce something cheaper, of poorer quality, and people who pay for that are their lawful prey.
If you want a burger don't come to Turkey, or if you do, then go to Bob"s.

Fidanka is special. It seems to be run by an intelligent family. There is a good chef and the staff are polite and efficient. (I agree they are not as outwardly friendly as at others like Bob's.).

It is a place for a quiet restful stay or meal. The music is soft jazz or nothing. The rooms and decor are totally unique and reflect the style of the owner. It is not a contemporary attempt at "boutique" because it has looked like that for over 10 years, to my knowledge.

I recommend Sultan Aubergine for dinner, or prime fillet steak.

I am not saying anything against Bob's. It gives good value for those who want that, but don't compare it to Fidanka. you can choose what you want....burger...or fillet steak.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Alreiser
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Just had two weeks at this amazing hotel.It is very quirky and not at all like other hotels.It feels like you have your own house space and with so much greenery and flowers, the whole place is softened.There are not a lot of rooms so it doesnt feel busy and so sometimes you can have the placeto yourself.
Our room was cleaned every day by fatima who did a great job and the general service, while not always quick was good...i wasnt in a hurry anyway so 5 minutes here or there didnt make much difference.
Some minor things didnt work but they were fixed when required.The hotel isnt in the centre of kalkan but there are taxis..about 20 lira or a water taxi service...5 lira....about a 5 minute walk from the hotel....
All in all a great place to relax and chill.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoffrey M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Perched on the steep surrounds of the bay this traditional looking Turkish Hotel ticks all the boxes for a relaxing stay. The Timber Rooms are particularly attractive albeit rustic in decor and finish.
The staff were all polite and welcoming, and nothing was too much trouble. To put some of the other negative comments in perspective, if you worked 18 hrs a day 7 days a week you too would have the odd day where you were not at your best.
This is a place to relax, it's not in the centre of anything except apartments and other hotels.

On the resort itself, it appears that the rush to exploit the tourist market has been at the expense of the charms that made it a popular destination in the first place. The Fidanka is quite a way from the Kalkan centre so is less affected than the harbour area.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank VeggiMan
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Is what we asked for. Ok, We did catch them on the hop, when we all turned up early one evening. They did not look very happy, but eventually they put a table together for us all.

The decor was very quirky and unique. A bit like being in a Bavarian village, with the Temperature turned up. The Swifts must have had some internal nest as it was nice watching them fly over our heads and into the living room area, under some hidden shelter.

It was halfway through our holiday and we were used to the Kalkan restaurants and the friendly welcomes and service you get in town. However, the Staff here didn't smile once and kept saying they were rushed off their feet. We had to remind them several time for drinks, and When they forgot my chips for my main course, I did have to have a blunt word. My chips then arrived after I finished so I sent them back! (The chips were part of the main course)

However - the food was nice - everyone enjoyed their meal. My only quibble was the staff were not very friendly. I had to laugh that the sign on the outside of the hotel said "We Welcome all to our restaurant" LOL.
Bobs is just across the road, we visited there 3 times - We would recommend you go there instead for your evening meal. For a warm welcome and great food.

I can't comment on staying - as we were in a villa near by.

Room Tip: Book a table first.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Steve S
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Myself and my wife have just enjoyed our first stay at this wonderful hotel, we stayed in the timber room for one week, and could easily have stayed there another week... waking up in the morning, completely immersed by the charm of this lovely wooden hotel lifting your head off the pillow and looking out over the Med to see the morning sunrise is etched on my memory forever... the staff are very helpful, pleasant and add to the general feel of peace and relaxation at this lovely hotel, breakfast is very good, and sets you up nicely to enjoy the day... Bullent and his team do all they can to make you feel comfortable, and bullent makes an excellent Fidanka Special cocktail! (as well as bloody good, bloody mary!)
We also did the walk to the nearby town of Kalkan one morning, and then on to the market... got some really good deals, back by boat taxi, the walk up the hill is a bit of a workout, but well worth it when you get back to the magical Fidanka to chill out... :)
I can fully recommend this hotel, and hope to be back in the not too distant future...
Thankyou Fidanka for a wonderful and unforgettable stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martin_Ayr
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

One week just wasn't enough and we were envious of the friends that we'd made who were staying on until the Thursday. Relaxing, relaxing, relaxing and perfect for my boyfriend and I to get that R&R we needed though close enough into Kalkan for us to go and have dinner every now and again. Though this said, one of the best Vegetarian meals I've had in meals when the chef made a special meal for me when it was "BBQ night" on the Wednesday night at the hotel. Bullent and his team did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable but not with the staff imposing themselves on you every 5 minutes which enabled that R&R. One of the guys was the only one who could start out dodgy scooter that we'd hired in town. I've seen some reviews concerning some of the rooms, although there are a few quirks here or there it really wasn't even a bother and didn't concern us. We were in the room above the kitchen which some have said was noisy but to be honest it really didn't make any impact on us at all and the room was actually bigger than the Timber room we got moved to on the last night. We had a living room, walk in cupboard, hammock out the front and also our own little table and chairs which because of its location only had staff pass by every now and again and they didn't matter as their were bushes with flowers in front and we still had a view of the ocean.

The Timber room was lovely as well and a nice change however if they hadn't have moved us we would have been just as happy staying in our first room.

Breakfast was pretty standard Turkish but I was very happy with it and they made eggs upon request but I was happy with the Turkish pastries and options for a vegetarian like me. We had an early start one day and the kitchen made us sandwiches for us to take and we ready for us at 7:30am.

Check out the nearby beach clubs, Mahal was great with delicious food and Palm Beach had yummy salads and good areas as well. Definitely check out Saklikent Gorge and Kaputas Beach.

We like to try different places most years but after a lovely relaxing stay and meeting some really great people at the hotel (staff and guests) that it will be hard not to come back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple