“Satisfactory stay”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Kas
Hong Kong, China
“Satisfactory stay”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Pros:
1. Merih, the manager was acommodating. E.g. She lent us a potable radiator and arranged for us to have extra blankets when we found the room too cold. We were also upgraded for free. Overall I felt most welcome.
2. View from our room overlooked Meis. Note there is ongoing construction in front of the hotel which will obstruct the sea view when complete.
3. The rooms are quite big and I would recommend them for families.
4. Breakfast is delicious, with fresh items like gozleme or eggs cooked each morning. The fresh orange juice and coffee were great.

Cons:
1. Distance from Kas. You need to get the bus which runs about once an hour or a taxi. We ended up taking a taxi most times.

Cons?:
1. Breakfast is served on your table with many plates of individual items. While this is nice because you don't have to walk and queue at a buffet line, I do wonder what happens to the sizeable leftovers (we finished less than half of the food) which have been "touched".

Overall a satisfactory stay. Would recommend it if you want privacy and a good view.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WorldWideWalking

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

What did we like? Everything!! My husband and I traveled for one month around Turkey in May and what a fabulous country it is. We are pretty adventurous, staying in various types of accommodation from cheaper hostels to high end, but always smaller boutique style, hotels. Lycia has got to be one of our favorites, along with Tangerina in Morocco! From the moment we arrived and were offered complimentary drinks on the pool deck by Merih, the owner, to the morning we left with warm goodbyes and hugs, the whole stay was superb! On arrival, I was happy to find we had actual parking. Not a big deal? well, yes it is in Turkey. Several of our pension/hotels said they had "private parking", even said it needed to be reserved in advance, and it turned out to be street parking wherever it could be found. Once we had to leave our car double parked on a TINY one way street, giving the keys to the owner's son who would move it when he found a spot. Not sure our insurance would have covered damage if WE weren't driving the car and no police report! Anyway, Lycia's parking is bougainvillea-covered and even has a view :) Our room was upgraded from a junior suite on the pool deck to a superior suite with phenomenal sea views from the balcony. I think they were renovating the junior suite but nevertheless, what a nice surprise! Everything was VERY clean, fancy big shower, sheets crisp and the bed firm (as all are in Turkey), yet really comfortable! All the meals are served in their small restaurant which has one of the most breathtaking views overlooking the saltwater pool and the Mediterranean beyond. The first morning we came down to breakfast we both found ourselves sitting in silence watching the morning fishing boats heading out, the sun glistening off the water, a requisite cat sunning himself in the nearby chair and 4 small tortoises crunching their morning lettuce in the garden. Sound sublime, it was. I've never felt so relaxed on a holiday! The breakfasts were always wonderful, served by Mehmet Ali, a young man with an infectious smile and who could make coffee that even my coffee aficionado husband savored! Mehmet Ali's lates were great too! Breakfast was always the usual Turkish fare but each morning they added different things like quince jam and Tantuni (cigar shaped filo things), another day, if I recall they added Gozleme. On top of the fresh bread, cheeses, vegi's, olives, hot baked dish, jams etc, they always asked if we wanted eggs, we never needed it! One thing I loved was the freshly squeezed orange juice! At breakfast, Merih was ALWAYS there checking to make sure things were perfect and if you needed any help with the days plans. When she heard our kayaking at Kelkova had fallen through, like a quick-draw, she immediately pulled out her cell phone prepared to call her contacts and get us on a Gulet to Kelkova for the day. We already had a backup but I was still impressed with how important it was to her that her guests have a great experience in Kas! This was epically evident when, the day before we were leaving, I asked if there was any chance the white curtains could be put on their cabanas down on the water's edge? It had been pretty windy the previous couple of days and it was still early in the season, so we thought that was why they weren't all made up. Turns out, like lots of things at the hotel, Merih was systematically refreshing, upgrading, improving and in this case, replacing the old curtains with new ones and so the weren't up. I had been really taken by the on-line photographs of these luxurious looking cabanas with gauzy white curtains against the turquoise water and was a bit disappointed - Merih noticed. I asked, if at all possible, could the old ones be put up on just one cabana? She immediately called Mustafa, one of her other employees over, and after a whirlwind discussion in Turkish and few looks of, "oh my gosh are you serious, I'm not sure we even have those, I guess I could dredge something up", she turned and said with a grin, "Yes, of course! In Turkey, anything can be done!!!" I was both thrilled, and pretty horrified at my brazenness but I really wanted to experience lounging by the sea in luxury ... not something we ever treat ourselves to! That night we stayed at the restaurant for dinner. We hadn't seen any reviews for their dinners, so weren't sure what to expect. I must add that we really are culinary snobs. We've eaten at internationally renowned restaurants and certainly appreciate high end cuisine, but when we travel, we prefer to find the local's hot spot where great flavours and fresh ingredients excel. Wow, how impressed were we! As always at Lycia, the service was impeccable, the meal really fabulous and we had that beautiful sea view! That evening they were trying out a new chocolate cake recipe and brought us complimentary hot servings which were "choke lezetli" ("very delicious" - spelled phonetically in Turkish!) We would highly recommend eating at their restaurant, not only for convenience but superb service and flavour!!!!! The next morning we got up early so we could relax before breakfast and not roar off, and, at about 6am, I spotted the guys traipsing down the path to the shore, arms laden with pillows and yards of white fabric! The guilt I felt was pretty consuming .... until I saw the little cabana they dressed up for me .... and it was perfect luxury! I'm not sure if we could have tipped Mustafa enough but he really exceeded all expectations!!

So, to sum up this long winded review, I really felt my 5 stars wouldn't adequately express how great Mehmet Ali, Mustafa and most especially, the lovely and most sincerely genuine Merih were! They absolutely have raised the hospitality bar in our eyes and we will remember our stay here for a very long time. Do not hesitate for a second to stay at Lycia, they will treat you like royalty! We WILL return

Room Tip: The rooms with the sea view and balcony are fabulous! I think each floor in the block with sea view...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank barondog
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed in this lovely gem for 2 nights in July. The rooms were very clean and modern, the views spectacular!!! The staff was amazing! The breakfast was out of this world, by far the best breakfast we had in our three week stay in turkey. The pool although a bit small had an awesome view of the Mediterranean. Very relaxing stay...

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Neeks4
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Prior to my trip to the Turkish Riviera, I looked up over 100 hotels along the coast between Antalya and Fethiye. I was very particular about what I was looking for: a place that has unobstructed view of the ocean, private and peaceful, good service, affordable. I realized there were way too many things on my wish list... well, almost... Just as I finished going through pictures and review for the 105th hotels and was on the verge of giving up, I found Lycia. The pictures on the website are stunning! It was love at the first sight.

The moment I arrived at Lycia, Mehmet (the hotel Manager) greeted me with the biggest welcome. Instantly I felt at home. Mehmet is simply the nicest person I’ve ever met. He's so kind, down-to-earth, accommodating, and helpful. He has fulfilled every single request I had, and delivered more. I was supposed to leave in the morning, but it was so hard to leave a place like Lycia so I ended up staying for longer. When I asked Mehmet when was the latest that I have to check out, he simply said "it's not important. You can stay for as long as you want." Mehmet found out I was having some problem with my rental car. So when I finally dragged my butt to leave, he made sure that I had the hotel's number so I had someone to call for help in case I run into any issues again. I can go on forever telling you small things that Mehmet and the other staff at Lycia have done to make my stay so memorable. But let me tell you more about the hotel itself.

Lycia is not in the town of Kas, but on an adjacent peninsula. I found Kas very touristy and noisy, not a place that I would want to spend a relaxing vacation. Lycia on the other hand is at the tip of a peninsula nearby, far from all the hustle and bustle. Tourists normally don’t come this way unless they are staying at one of the hotels and private villas nearby. I enjoyed the absolute peace at the hotel and miss the time I spent by the pool/beach or on the balcony, reading a book while having a cup of Turkish tea, with the Mediterranean Sea right in front me. The hotel has a private beach area for its guests. It’s not a white sand beach, like most of the beaches in the area, but very beautiful and quiet.

I got a room with ocean view. It’s very spacious and clean. I am not going to lie and say this is the most luxurious hotel that I’ve ever stayed at. But I found the décor tasteful, and the hotel has everything that I need.

In terms of food, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of food at the hotel restaurant. I rarely eat at the hotels (generally I found the food expensive and subpar), but the food I ordered at dinner was fantastic (I got fried calamari and the lamb chop).

Breakfast was included in the price. Given that I had a room/balcony with ocean view, I asked whether I could have breakfast at the balcony. Of course they accommodated that. And let me tell you, that was definitely the highlight of my trip. (See picture).

Overall, Lycia is a charming boutique hotel with warm family atmosphere. I can’t wait to return to Lycia and I would recommend it to anyone who’s considering the area.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Felicity_ssimo
Antalya
Reviewed 8 October 2013

stopped by for 1 night only but had the greatest breakfast ever... was a nice touch not to have been charged for the OJ, which normally is the case in Turkey. rooms are OK, clean and efficient. we had a nica room with Med view... Try the relaxation corner above the restaurant. hotel is located at the Kas peninsula, however bell staff arranges taxi to the city center at fixed TL 20 rate.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Orhan K
lodz
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This small hotel is very nicely located at the tip of the peninsula-so quiet and the views great. We stayed at this hotel for the second time. Unfortunately, this time we saw that wooden beds by the pool or at the balcony railings require paint ( the climate?), management could use more control over the cleaners -for instance dirty windows at the restaurant-pity. Breakfast is near the same every day and quite modest .
As always, very good at his job, Mehmet.
In summary nice place, but needs more care

Room Tip: on top floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank witchen
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The place is small and cosy, with very nice views from the pool and specially from the restaurant area slightly above. Our room by the pool was clean and well appointed. Breakfast was very good, as were a lunch and dinner. Although the pool is small there were usually not many people using it. The relaxing area by the sea is really nice, with comfortable white beds under white shade. Staff were friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple