“wont be back”

Ranked #34 of 44 Hotels in Kas
England
“wont be back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

we went to the phellos agiain in june as its the only one with a large pool, but it has not had any money spent on it for a long time and is very tired and run down. the same problem is still ongoing with the fridges in that you can pay to have one in your room but they dont put any drinks in it and you arnt allowed to put any food of drinks in it of your own, if you do they remove them so no point paying for one.The staff are ok but when we left the hotel we forgot to put a tip in the reseraunt box and one of the staff asked what they had done wrong so only interested in getting tips
On our last 3 days a coach arried with about 40 teenagers on and we were told that they were staying for a week to do a diving course, they were out in the daytime but arrived back in the afternnon and headed for the pool taking it over we could not read or relaxe by the pool as they were so noisy. we were told that the same trip comes every year so beware if you are thinking of going next year .
Kas is as lovley as ever and we will be going back in September but not to the Phellos

Room Tip: dont pay for a fridge
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maureenengland47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
Perth Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

First impression after staying at a couple of very modern hotels was how basic Club Phellos was. However it was extremely clean & comfortable, the staff were very accomodating, breakfast was expansive (as only the Turkish hotels seem to provide) & the huge pool extremely clean. We did not have dinner at the hotel as the array of fabulous seafood restaurants down the hill at the port drew us away. Gorgeous little town with many interesting shops and tucked away sites.
A day trip on one of the many available boats around the islands with swimming on the Turquoise Coast was a special treat.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank bellaPerthAustralia
beverley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

I visited this hotel with a friend in last week of June into July and we originally only booked one week but decided to stay for two. The reason being that the hotel staff were all friendly and helpful. I liked the area on the terraces near the restaurant where you could chill out on the sofa next to the fireplace, in fact this area didnt look like a 3 star hotel, it was lovely. And for those who swim and sunbathe the pool and sunbed area was excellent and immaculately maintained and cleaned and was really pretty when lit up at night. We paid £100 for b and b via travel republic and it was well worth the money. The service was excellent in that we asked for a room change to a sea view and we were shown 3 more rooms and only charged 40 pounds extra with a fridge. I think the previous reviews are a but picky in view of how much it cost us. Maybe other people paid more ? Dont let the first impression put you off when you arrive. I think it deserves more than a six on travel republics review and kas, well thats another story, beautiful place .......
We arrived in the night and intial reaction was that it was a bit dark up the stairs and corridors, nothing that a lick of paint wouldnt have solved but once we settled in this didnt seem to matter. I would advise dont write this hotel off just because of the slightly dated furniture and carpet , and facilities in rooms. Our first room was a good size and no fault with cleanliness. I can't believe that someone picked fault with the way the sheets were folded ! Our balcony was small but the rooms below had very spacious balconies and I cant fault this place for the money we paid. I have stayed in Kas before and it was better than the Aqua Princess in my opinion. I also looked at other hotels before and it superseded them in terms of friendly staff, value for money, cleanliness, the best swimming pool , and space to chill out as it is big enough.

Room Tip: room 206 was large , no sea view but nice. Double room further up was good size and nice sea view...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank sjsBeverley
Evesham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Kas is a wonderful town, though a huge marina has been built and this may upset the bohemian atmosphere.
Phellos is 5 minutes walk uphill from the town, steep, but not desperate. The hotel draws you in and seems stylish until you go up the stairs and then its tired. Little ££ has been spent on the floors (we were on the first) or the rooms. The rooms are kept clean, but why do they insist on taking off the sheet and folding it onto the bed??? I kept the tip to myself for having to make my bed every night! As with the previous review, no fridge as stated in Jewel in the Crowns brochure. We did ask. You have to have a room with a sea view to get a fridge; at £12/day extra!

My daughter (7) loved the pool - clean, well maintained.
General restaurant staff pleasant. Management/desk staff could well do with smiling and going on a customer services course. Not the usual for Turkey. e.g I carried one bag out to the car at the end and had very little choice in carrying the second, having it taken out of my hand by the one person who said nothing over 2 weeks. He then stood there and expected a tip!! If you're reading this, say hello sometimes, offer to carry both and be thankful for a tip.

We also smuggled in drink/food. There is a rubbish bin opposite the hotel.
Overall it was fine. As with the previous review more a minor gripe than major problems, but run as a hotel to make money being a bit too obvious.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank reimovanfamily
nat2643
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

My partner and I went to Hotel Phellos in July 2010. Overall I would say that the hotel was adequate - the rooms are clean, most of the staff say hello and I would say that the location is very good. It might be up a steep hill but it's right next to the main Kas strip of shops. The hill is very steep, and the hotel has no lift so if you think you are going to struggle ask for a ground floor room.

A word just on Kas itself...
Kas itself is absolutley beautiful. We fell in love with the relaxed and friendly atmosphere, the history and the food! Sitting on a wooden platform leading out to the sea at Limonaza beach was heaven. We will definetly be going back.

I'd also recommend Garlic Ali (he's mentioned on several of the Kas forums). He's a real character and we really enjoyed going on a trip out to various different bays etc. The food was great, freshly cooked off the side of the boat.

Anyway back to the hotel...

On arrival we were taken up to our room and I was very disapointed to find that the balcony had no chairs and that the room had no fridge. I didn't complain because we'd been up for over 24 hours and I just wanted some sleep, so to be fair to the hotel I can't judge them on how they would have dealt with a request to move rooms.

I'd read about the no food/no drinks policy in some of the reviews but I hadn't realised this would mean no fridge. It was really annoying as it meant even when we did buy a bottle of water or wine from the hotel we couldn't save any for the following day.

It certainly wasn't the end of the world but it was a pain. It made me feel like the hotel was only interested in milking us for all the cash it could. Breakfast confirmed this feeling - anything extra like Orange Juice was chargable and the breakfast was the same everyday. I don't mind continetal breakfast and I respect that in Turkey you must expect to see tomatoes, olives and cheese in the morning - however, I've stayed at hotels before where they have also severed fried eggs, hot turkish cheese pasties etc.

In terms of the drinks, we ended up sneaking bottles of wine in (as the hotel water and wine was well overpriced) and smuggling the empty bottles back out again the next morning. Like I said certainly didn't ruin the holiday, just a bit irksome.

In terms of the balcony. This was very small, but again you get what you pay for. What was annoying was that the balcony didn't have it's own chairs. There were two chairs in the room and you had to keep taking these in and out when you wanted to sit on the balcony. You couldn't just leave them out there because the seat and back were upholstered with leather (or may have been immitation leather). It's was so hot out I didn't think the seat covers would cope! The one time we did leave them for an hour or so they had heated up too hot to touch!!

The chairs were also really uncomfortable. They had no arms and were very straight backed so we were never able to sit in them long. In the end I took to folding my towel around a pillow and sitting on this on the balcony floor.

I found this did impact our holiday a little bit as we weren't able to chill out back at the hotel. Although it's lovely to relax into the late hours at a cafe/bar, we also would have liked to have been able to do this back at our hotel.

In terms of staff, I would say they were adequatly friendly but nothing special. We certainly found people in some of the cafes etc far friendlier.

The hotel was clean, and I can't vouch for the swimming pool areas as we never used them. All in all I wouldn't book Phellos again, but if it was the only hotel left in the area I wouldn't let it put me off visiting Kas again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nat2643
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

Just back from the Phellos for the 4th year running at this time of year (2-16 October). As always the service is excellent and the staff can't do enough to help. Fresh towels daily and bed linen changed at least twice a week. We opt for the land view rooms rather than those overlooking the pool and the sea - they are cooler! Weather was very good for the first 10 days and then we had some scattered clouds and a few drops of rain - followed by a spectacular and very lengthy thunderstorm on our last Friday night. Breakfasts are a feast and the evening meals are good, but Kas has so many excellent restaurants you really are spoilt for choice - Evy's is excellent - French - slightly more expensive than some of the others but well worth a visit. A word of warning - beware the gigot d'agneau - it is a leg of lamb and Madame serves it for one person!!! The fillet steaks are wonderful. Others worthy of mention are the Meydan in the Square, the Pelican also in the square, Ora opposite the taxi rank and Maya (half way down the main pedestrian street). The Cafe d'Ali (opposite the Teras and down from the Jandarma/Polis stations is a must - Ali is a charming gentleman who serves excellent food and drink - try the lemon and mint cocktail. We didn't make it to Patara this year, but if you haven't been you should go. We arranged our own transfer for £80 stirling - sounds a lot, but the transfer is 2 hours and it really is a much quicker way to get to Kas than hanging around at the airport waiting for other people to locate their cases. Go - its wonderful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Pembrokeshire, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

We travelled from Gatwick on a holiday booked via Explore 'Ledgends of Lycia'. After a slight mix up with tickets we arrived in Kas - our tour guide walked us around the town - what a place - heaven. Loads of places to eat, lots of boats trips, loads of shops and no hassle by the locals. We felt 'at home' from the moment we arrived. Even at night we felt safe, the whole town was 'family' freindly.
Hotel food was excellent as was the service of the staff - especially the welcome. Our teenage kids soon made friends with the staff and were often having jokes with them before we set off in a morning on our adventures - swimming, diving, kayaking and walking, not to mention the boat trip to the Greek Island and all the historical sights.
We'd go back there again tomorrow!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family