“Good, but........”

Retro Bistro
Ranked #3 of 201 Restaurants in Kas
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Retro is located at the centre of Kas. We are opposite Bouganville Travel. Our specialism is cooking most of our products with sous-vide. This is a method using a vacuum machine to seal the food in air tight bags and submerging them in a water bath which has a temperature regaulator attached. The results are moist and evenly cooked food. 48 Hr cooked lamb shank, 8hr cooked beef burgers, 8hr cooked sirloins and 48hr Osso bucco. This season we are also making cocktails with our sous Vide machines. Limoncello is cooked at a low temperature to infuse the vodka, the results equal months of lemon flavour infusion in just 4 hours. Mint infused mojitos, bloody mary and grapefruit salty dog also available. Takeaway Iced coffees, teas, Smoothies, milkshakes and homemade lemonade. We also cater for our Vegetarian, Vegan and gluten intollerant guests! See you soon we hope
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Good, but........”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I enjoyed an excellent burger but my wife's salad was good if uninspired. Not a great atmosphere and seemed, shall we say, a little pretentious.
Wouldn't rush back but obviously others thought very highly of it. Perhaps we should try it again.

Visited May 2014

• Turkish first
Kenley
“Fine dining but in a funky setting :)”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I ate here a few times both during the day and evenings and found the food to be AMAZING. The young chefs are extremely talented and put every ounce of effort in to the preparation, presentation and service. Do not be put off by some previous comments regarding the garden area as this was during renovation times of when the small boutique hotel opposite was being built. I found the garden area to be a true little hideaway from the main streets of Kas and now the hotel is finished it adds a new atmosphere to what used to be a little back street. I ate blue cheese and broccoli soup which is the best soup I've ever eaten! Seafood platter which is a platter of smoked trout, eel and salmon MMMmmmmmm followed by
The Soba noodle salad which is usually a vegan option but I requested it with chicken as I wanted to see how good the Sous vide cooking method was... I wasn't disappointed as I tasted the most succulent chicken breast I've ever had. After seeing a Retro burger pass me I had to go back to try it, which I did the following day and I was not disappointed!! Everything is handmade even down to the amazing and authentic buns. I give this place a 5 star recommendation, it is fine dining but without the stiffness you come to expect when you eat exquisite food... A funky and relaxed environment! Long live Retro... Kas needed you.

1 Thank KenleyKristy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food good music”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Very friendly place has an amazing menu. Delicious gentlEman is the best burger ever. Place has variety of meat and veggie options and they use sous vide cooking techniques.Definitely very recommendable, its a must to visit Retro Bistro @Kas to have an xclusive food journey.

Leicester
“Best burger you will find”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

On our two week trip to kas we found the retro burger on their menu to be the best in town. Don't be put off by the gimmicky look of the place it is run by two guys that clearly put a lot of thought and care into their food.

Visited May 2014
Hong Kong
“The best pasta ever!!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stumbled upon this small but funky restaurant yesterday.
Really friendly and helpful chef.
We had the chicken ravioli and retro burger and the ravioli was out of this world!! The burger was beautifully cooked with amazing quality beef.

Not the most beautiful of settings currently in the back 'garden' but a lot of building work is being done to the surrounding buildings and it looks like it will be a really cool setting soon.

• Visited April 2014