“Best place to get married”

Hotel Club Barbarossa
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Kas
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Best place to get married”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We have had our wedding in Hotel Barbarossa and I could not be more satisfied about the place and service we have got during our stay and the wedding party. In total we stayed there 1 week with our close friends and family.First highlights about Hotel Barbarossa are the fantastic spot by the Medditerrian sea and the super good food on the buffet. I knew these from my previous stay there, and it has not changed since than. Next to that the staff is very friendly and helpful with everything. Since we had our special day planned there, they made everything to make us happy and satified with the wedding organization. Our guests left all very happy and had a great memory on our special day. I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to visit Kas or plan an organization there.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are very nice and specious - stardard garden rooms are basic but also OK. If you spen...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ece M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We had a fabulous holiday in August, sharing villa Ates with cornmillgirl (whose review is spot on) and another family. The location is stunning, out on a pensinsular, away from the the centre of Kas. It's a dolmus ride into town, but that's all part of the fun, when you go out in the evening. The minibusses pick up from the top of the hill by the hotel and one is full, the driver will call another. The time when I appreciated having a hire car was when we had to be in Kas by 9am on the dot for our diving lessons (at the well run and friendly Kas-Diving dive school).
Our teenagers loved dividing their day between sprawling on a raft moored off the Barbarossa's private beach and lounging on the shaded piles of cushions on the beach.
The extensive hotel buffet by the pool, overlooking the sea, was a great way to start the day (freshly made nutella pancakes to order - yum!) the lunch buffet on the beach delicious and reasonable.
Any little niggles were addressed promptly by the attentive owner, providing requests were made directly to him, rather than to staff.
One of our party had a room in the hotel with a jacuzzi on the balcony and it's worth knowing that it's not a private space: the next room's jacuzzi is just a few feet away on the same balcony with no dividing wall or screen.
As cornmillgirl says, it was slightly disappointing that the villas didn't have their own beach platform, as we'd seen advertised on the web site, but the upside was that our kids made friends with others staying at the hotel.
All in all, staying in a villa right by the sea, being able to have our own barbeques at night, but also use the hotel facilities when we wanted made for a great family holiday.

Room Tip: If staying in a hotel, ask for a room with a good view, rather than a room with a jacuzzi on the bal...
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We came to this hotel for a friend's wedding. We found the staff to be very helpful, even if they didn't have great English (I am Canadian). We paid for half board, and they gave us a "room card" to charge our extras (beer, lunch etc) to. We really enjoyed hanging out on the platforms by the sea, and found the resort clean, and well taken care of. We found it a little difficult that they don't take credit cards, we had to pay in cash or wire transfer.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank temrobertson
shropshire
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We hired Villa Ates at Club Hotel Barbarossa for two weeks with two other families. The villa has 4 rooms in the house and one below the pool. All had aircon, TV and ensuite and were spacious enough for one to have two extra beds and not feel too cramped. The villa was well furnished and the beds were very comfortable. There were a few issues with the aircon during our stay and the room under the pool was leaking when we left. It felt like there needs to be a big effort to keep on top of the maintenance. There were 12 of us in total and 5 adults and 7 children. There were a few problems when we arrived as there weren't enough beds and no outside chairs but this was soon put right by the staff. Previous reviewers are right that not all staff speak good english but some do and we managed to make ourself understood. The Villa was well equipped in general (no DVD player though) but we think that not many people actually self cater so there were a few things missing from our kitchen. Again we asked and they were provided. The bbq was fantastic and when the gas ran out it was replaced straight away. A real advantage of being attached to the hotel! The outside space at the villa is tight when the villa sleeps 12 and the pool wasn't enormous but we were 100m from the sea platforms and spent most of our time there. This leads us to our biggest gripe. The web-site quite clearly says villas had there own beach platform with kayak -something denied by staff and owner when we were there. The hotel platforms were fantastic but when it came to the busy holiday weekend at the end of Ramadam the hotel was busy and it would have been good to have our own space. We did talk to the hotel owner and again this was put right - we were allowed to use the hotel kayaks- but it became a bit waring to keep pointing out problems before they were put right. We were staying at the hotel during the wedding mentioned by a previous reviewer and were not happy to be offered the opportunity to buy half priced drinks as compensation for the whole beach area being taken over by the wedding party. As it happened it was one of the couples wedding anniversary the same day and we felt pushed out of our own space, Again after bringing this to the owners attention we were offer a free meal for all our party that night.
Overall we had a great holiday. The staff were friendly and unobtrusive. The beach platforms comfortable and the tea and cakes at 5pm a nice touch. We were given breakfast at the hotel because we payed in full before Christmas. The breakfast buffet was really good, as was the lunch buffet by the beach but the food was alot more expensive than in Kas. We took the Dolmus from the top of the hill into kas several nights and enjoyed eating out and shopping in the cool of the evening. We would all return to Villa Ates and it offers excellent value for 12 people. Being near the hotel was an advantage especially for the children who played table tennis there.
I would advise the owner to update the website so that there aren't any misunderstandings in the future.

Room Tip: Villa Ates is furthest from the sea but is more secluded.
1 Thank cornmillgirl
Cowes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I was there, along with DashaB below, for my son's wedding and fully concur with her feelings. The location is beautiful, but what a pity the shabby appearance and organisation - or should I say lack of it - lets the place down badly. We had reserved a deluxe room for the duration of our stay, but I really cannot say that there was much that was deluxe about it, other than that it was quite large. The doors to the balcony didn't close properly, and neither did the door into the room, which also boasted a large gap in its timber panel.

For the wedding itself, my partner cleared three platforms of sun beds and the usual array of debris that an arduous day by the beach produces as the staff disappeared with just half the job done. Had he not done that, the bride could easily have stepped onto the pontoon from her yacht and gone flying in all her finery. As the ceremony was held, staff were still setting up tables on the nearby terraces for the reception dinner.

Drinks were to be served on the terrace above immediately after the ceremony itself, but when it came to the time for doing so, there were no drinks ready, nor anyone to serve them. Instead, all the guests were going directly to the bar below to ask individually. Given that all the arrangements had been meticulously planned and confirmed in writing for the event, that the hotel failed to even have the site fully prepared is inexcusable.

My feeling about all of this was that there were simply not enough staff around to support this event and the numbers of guests visiting despite all the assurances received during the planning of it. We crawled into bed in the early hours and many of the younger wedding guests continued until dawn. I was stunned to see many of the staff who had served us at the reception and into the night on duty again the next morning. I felt for them.

The hotel website makes quite a point of advertising itself as a site for ceremonies such as this. My advice to anyone considering it would be to think very carefully.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Alex L
HotelBarbarossa, Owner at Hotel Club Barbarossa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
There are of course two sides to the story. First of all, Barbarossa is in the middle of nature and it attempts to live in this setting in a sustainable and green way. It is not a five star hotel. It is a boutique hotel for those who appreciate this kind of setting, The rooms have minimalistic approach in most cases and can be readily seen on the web site (many 360 virtual tours are available for future guests to make their own mind).

The henna night was a great success but the wedding some issues mostly due to the inaccurate start time communicated to the guests. Some guests arrived around 5:30 pm when the arrangement was for around 7 pm. The bride arrived from the sea at 7:30 pm as planned. A lot of incentive had to be used to get the setting ready and serve this early birds.

The sister of the groom of course was involved in the details of the arrangement but did not need to be present while 20 over staff were in the process of serving the invited guests (about 100). In fact this presence and the foul language used by the groom upset many of the staff. We know this was the hottest night of the summer and tension could be high, but this is not an excuse to abuse and insult the Barbarossa team. The staff worked all night, and during the early hours of the following morning to set back the beach area to its former glory before they could take rest and be back for the evening meal.

Barbarossa is a great venue for wedding (we only accept 3-4 wedding at most) for the privileged few. It is about making the dream of the couple become true by working with them, carving a great experience. Contrary to these comments, the wedding was a great success, incredible lighting, music, service and food as it has been told by many invitees.
London
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Summary

Club Barbarossa Hotel and Villas are sited on the shores of Çukurbag, amazing peninsula of Kas in Antalya, Turkey. This is a great hotel ... one of the very best in whole of Turkey. It has both an outstanding location on the (now) very famous Kas Peninsula overlooking the sea ... with a very upscale beach resort/ villa and hotel establishment.

Ancient history and nature combine to make Club Barbarossa something really really special.

And the location really does have a wow wow wow factor ... but that is Kas for you.

The club/ Hotel overlooks a breathtaking panorama that is now the famous ... amazing ... peninsula of Kas ... of a lagoon like bay and picturesque mountains. They have some amazing seawater swimming pools, which make you feel as though you could swim straight into the Turkish Med.

And I always feel that there is some kind of healing healing effects of the Bucak Bay waters.

What Club Barbarossa offers in terms of accommodation?

The hotel is a mixture of suites/ rooms.

There are ... I think ... about 8 suites and 18-20 rooms rooms in Club Hotel Barbarossa all sharing an outstanding characteristic that has to be seen to be truly appreciated.

The rooms ...any of them frankly ... are pretty good ... big and have what you expect for a super luxury boutique hotel.

All guest rooms are furnished individually, just to make you feel at home (air conditioning, satellite TV, wireless access and balconies).

I have only ever stayed in the standard rooms ... and have been very very happy.

Although ... I admit ...on occasion!, I have looked at the deluxe rooms that come with Jacuzzi ... and think mmmmm ... next time!!!

And then I say ... forget the deluxe room ... when I ever get married ... my honeymoon may want a Suite ... as they have two sections and occupy enormous area, a range of terraces and those lovely jacuzzi's.

Mmmm ... and then if I win the lottery .... I want a Villa ... !!!

The Villas with their own beach platforms and spectacular sea views. Wait for it ... each villa has its own private swimming pool and a large garden!!!!!!!!!

These seafront villas offers enormous space ... inside and outside as well as plenty of partly shaded space on the outside terraces ... and seem to have up 8 -14 people.

The people in Villas have there own kitchen when you feel creative, or use pool side BBQ ...but unlike private Villas on Kas ... these are fully serviced and part of the whole Beach Club vibe.

THE WORST THING ABOUT the Villas is for people like me ... in the hotel... but NOT in a Villa ...they all seem to be having such a fun ... that you feel YOU! (ha ha ) are missing out. Whatever.

This place makes you happy!

This place is special ... it has a chilled vibe, a real mixture of eclectic (mainly wealthy Turkish and foreign) guests who book Villas and apartments and descend downwards like the famous Galapagos iguanas to relax around the most amazing beach rock cabanas.

It takes second to think ... wow ... I am on holiday ... I have worked hard for this ... I deserve this for me and my family.

As and advertising and marketing man ... I love adverts .. and one of the very best this year was what I saw whilst skiing in Breck/ Aspen and Vail early this year.

It was run on behalf of one of those hotel/ or travel price comparison sites ... and never showed you the hotels and rooms that people booked.

It just showed the faces of the guests as they were shown their hotel / room/ etc etc. Apprehension, sometimes overtaken by instant joy or a shout of yes.

Brilliant! You never ever saw what they were seeing (keeps the production costs down!) ...simply the joy of the people as they saw what they have booked.

This is the same for Club Barbarossa ... you can see the joy in peoples faces as they walk in ... ... when you sit for breakfast ... when they see their own Jacuzzi ... or the main pool ... see the breakfast buffet ... or the sea .... there is a real wow factor!!!!!

... Club B ... put simply ... makes you happy. Or in my case. Even more happier.

The best 5 things about Club B ... and the 5 things they need to do better

The best 5

1. the location
2. The amazing food ... fresh baked bread
3. The people who visit Club B ... the vibe ... I have really met some amazing people ... this year and last ... and have stayed in touch
4. The cabanas ... I DESERVE THIS !!!
5. It is actually ...cheaper than you think ... and WAY WAY Cheaper than France and parts of Spain

But there are some things they need to do better .... much better. here is 5

1. They need a better English speaking guest services rep
2. My experience last year was variable ... but I am really pleased to see 50% of the staff ... have changed ... for the better!!!
3. The staff work too hard ... but ... they seem happy ... and thankful to work here ... but also sometime ... tired
4. The wifi ... is not fit for purpose ... not because it is not good ...it just struggles to cope with people like me ... who bring 5 devices ...or the fact that children at Club Barb ...seem to all be playing with ipads
5.They have the WORST website I have seen in my many years in marketing. So bad ... (it includes wedding music ...that just starts ... and odes not stop) that i am taking screen shots and will use it in one of my future client presentations ... on what not to do. It is so bad ...so embarrassing ... that I am going to help them change it ... since I get embarrassed ...when friends see my amazing photos on facebook ...and then go to the website ... and then contact me and say ... can you sed me the right www address as this not the one for your hotel!!!!!

It is really that bad!

BUT THE GOOD NEWS ... I can see the changes for the better in the hotel over the last year ...and know that the owner is motivated ...and will change things e. ... new wifi put in yesterday ... HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

About Kas

Hilariously ... The 5th edition Lonely Planet Turkey edition ...circ 1996 ... says of Kas ...

Fishing boats and a few yachts in the harbour , a town square with tea-houses and restaurants in which you can hear half a dozen languages spoken, inexpensive pensions and hotels, classical ruins scattered ... the quintessential Turkish seaside town. Kas is not popular because it has small beaches (and pebbly and out of town... but is pleasant enough ...

Well they got that wrong. Kas is now one of the most sought after areas in Turkey ... and is absolutely packed with the well to do across Europe. Indeed, there are so many french voices ... that my friends has labelled one of the streets the Champs-Elysees.

... but yes ...there is a distinct lack of beaches ... and this is why the upmarket Kas pennilsular and places like Club Barbarossa are so popular. Breath taking scenery ...but access to the sea.

About the author

I have stayed at Club B last year ... have been going as a non resident to the beach / cabana area most days whilst in Kas this year...and am a resident again.

This is my first senior contributor level review ... my 21st review for tripadvisor.

You earn "senior contributor badge when you achieve this 20 reviews.

Whatever! ...I do reviews to add to the community ... to inform and then make the right choices.

I am more interested in the fact that coming up to 5000 (350 for one review last week alone) ... have actually read my reviews. THIS year alone.

A Crazy number in terms of average reads.

And I have not done 4000 reviews ...like some weirdo in japan ... from what I can see ... has about 4000 reads ... from about 3000 reviews ... 20 miles of his bedsit! :)

I keep getting Trip Advisor mother ship telling me ...please people love your reviews ...please write more".

... whilst i am up there in the top ... 1% of people read reviews ... and I take that seriously ... since you have a duty to help your fellow traveler ... I use others reviews to inform me ... and they should expect honest reviews by fellow users.

Actually ... no ... only when I have something to say. But on this occasion I have ... come here! the setting with the vibe and the R&R almost perfect. Recommended by Trip Advisor ... and by me.

3 Thank Harj M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We visited this hotel as part of a short trip starting at Side to Fethiye and back to Side through Kas. Well we were blown away. the surroundings are amazing and the hotel is just wonderful with amazing views and a lovely beach front (no sand beach but a pier to jump into the sea) and bar area. The food was great and the hotel was just so peaceful.

We honestly wished we could extend our stay to a week it was that good.

Major downside is the distance to airports but it only makes it better for getting away from the crowds.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple