“bad architecture, good breakfast”
Review of Ates Pension

Ates Pension
Ranked #8 of 63 Speciality Lodging in Kas
Istanbul, Turkey
“bad architecture, good breakfast”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed as couple in this pension. The A/C was not working and the house keeping cleans the room and bathroom in 3 days. Breakfast was more than well done. You can have your Open buffet breakfast in a very cool terrace that has magnificent island view. The rooms are not clean and you have to climb around 200m uphill road from the city center

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed at Ates last night. I hardly slept. The dorm has very uncomfortable beds, with metal springs poking in your back. The curtain doesnt meet by about a metre so there is no privacy and anyone from outside can look it. Plus the light from outside switches on and off all night and shines in the room. The AC works very well however.

I spent 5 hours itching before I realised that I was being attacked by bedbugs. Ive had them before. I know what they are like. I got up and slept outside on the terrace at about 3.30am. The next morning I kindly explained to the owner that I had not had a great nights sleep and Im sorry to say I think they have bedbugs. This was met with not just a lack of sympathy or interest in the issue, but an utter disdain. He went to glance at the bed and subsequently told me that he didnt see anything. Him and his wife obviously believed I was lying. The fact they didnt believe me was quite hurtful and with hardly any sleep, I became obviously upset. But my distress was met with even more contempt. I was told to leave right now if thats what I wanted. I explained all I wanted was for them to understand what I was telling them.

I ate my breakfast in tears. As I went to pick up some breakfast (from the buffet that was quite nice btw), the owners wife said 'maybe you will eat that and then get an allergy too', essentially implying that I find fault with everything on purpose. I have no idea what I was to gain by all of this.

It wasnt the fact they had bedbugs- thats an unfortunate consequence of catering to travellers. Its the way they dealt with it. I have no idea why they responded like that at all. But I did not feel 'right at home' as others have said.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank hel123321
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The pension is nice, there is a cool terrace with a great view but the owners are a little bit rude. My girl friend was sick and they didn't let her stay some more hours in the bed after the check out.
Also the terrace is great but they don't let you eat or drink your own staff... you can only buy the things they have.
I wont return there.

Room Tip: The doorrm in the terrace only have 4 beds and the view is great
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Ates is not the most luxerous place you'll ever stay, but it will certainly be the closest to home you'll get when in Kas. The rooms are small, but clean and comfortable. But the best is the roof terrace where Recep and Ayse make you feel right at home. They can tell you all about the things you can do in Kas, and if you like help you with all the bookings. Besides that the terrace (with a stunning view on Kas and the sea) is the kind of place where you can find all a traveler wants:
- travel books
- a lounge corner
- free WiFi
- an internet PC
- a fridge with all kinds of drinks
- nice contacts with other travelers from all over the world
- and most important: a kitchen where Ayse cooks the most tasty Turkish dishes! (Dont eat out in Kas when you stay at Ates! Ayse is the local Jaimy Oliver)

I was going to stay for one, two or three days (depending on if I would like it or not) but ended up staying a whole week.

Room Tip: Slept in one of the private single rooms on the floor just beneath the terrace.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Cappadoccia turkey
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Booked a dbl room and got one with a dbl and single bed, large enough to spread out in. Great mattress,pillows and duvet. Most of the rooms have balconies, some covered with grape vines. Aysha speaks English well and is very helpful, introduces the tours available but doesn't push them. We only went canyoning here, a tour that she doesn't have (recommended! Through Dolce Vita tours 120 TL ) prices for rooms are in line with other places around, but you can find cheaper. There are a lot of stairs here...be prepared. May not be suitable for people who are not so mobile
Breakfast is buffet style, delicious yogurt, not so amazing coffee. Great terrace overlooking the sea, wifi in common areas and sometimes available in the room.
Overall, a nice place to hang out, clean and well kept for the price.

Room Tip: Some have balconies facing the sea
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
eastcoast
Reviewed 15 September 2011

After yet another lovely Holiday we put pen to paper to say what a great place Ates Pension was thoughtout our stay.Its not just about the room its about your total experience,this is after all a Pension.Our room was clean bright with air con & a ballcony
The Owner (Boss & Mamma) went out of their way to make sure everything we requested was available from the Trips we did,fresh lemon at the bar, a brand of wine,to taking us to the bus station at the end ,Nothing was to much trouble ,they do a very good value meze barbaque in the evening and the views are stunning, Boss even came Diving with us because my wife was a little unsure about doing it
They got us a 4 day Gullet trip , a swimming pool to use and sorted skydiving at the cheapest price we were quoted ..
So if we are ever in that area of Turkey again we will always try to stay at Ates Pensions

Room Tip: Our Room was Room 9
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Stayed here for two days.rooms are very badly equipped. in our room, there was very bad smell. After tell him the owner or the place , we changed our room. this time air condition was not working. there is big terrace in which a dog going around ,sitting ewerywhere .she is not healthy and clean.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple