“Exploited by Lonely Planet...High Prices, But Good Space and Service.”
Review of Ates Pension

Ates Pension
Ranked #7 of 67 Speciality Lodging in Kas
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I selected Ates Pension based on the positive review from "Lonely Planet Turkey" (March 2011 edition). I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of Aug. 2012. The book rate for the a Single room is 50 TL (about US$28), however, the quoted price when I showed up was 75 TL (US$41). I think that they exploited the good ratings in Lonely Planet, by increasing the prices -- but I think that this is understandable. It's not worth the price, but a safe choice if you are willing to pony up -- the quality is good, but there are better options in Kas at say 20 TL (US$11). I would have expected such a room & place to be at the US$25 tier.

Wi-Fi Internet through out the facility -- relatively fast, no concerns. Very nice terrace for meals and to socialize with other guests. Room is fine -- I stayed in Room No. 6 which I totally recommend for the terrace -- does not overlook the Mediterranean Sea, but the garden is good enough. Kas is so small where it will take you 10 minutes to walk from one end to the other where it's difficult to say the location is good (but it is!). No toiletries, BYOT. Also, the restaurant is good for home-cooking and a nice change if you have been eating Turkish all the while. You can use the pool at Hideaway Hotel (across the street, same family owner), but you have the Mediterranean Sea steps further away where not really an incentive.

Walked by the Dorm, looked pretty typically. 4 beds per room, 30 TL per person, no thanks.

In summary, a safe bet in terms of quality and service, but there are cheaper options if you are price-sensitive.

Kas is incredible in itself. Go, soon.

Room Tip: Room No. 6 with the Terrace!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank bentobox007

Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed as couple in this pension. The A/C was not working and the house keeping cleans the room and bathroom in 3 days. Breakfast was more than well done. You can have your Open buffet breakfast in a very cool terrace that has magnificent island view. The rooms are not clean and you have to climb around 200m uphill road from the city center

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed at Ates last night. I hardly slept. The dorm has very uncomfortable beds, with metal springs poking in your back. The curtain doesnt meet by about a metre so there is no privacy and anyone from outside can look it. Plus the light from outside switches on and off all night and shines in the room. The AC works very well however.

I spent 5 hours itching before I realised that I was being attacked by bedbugs. Ive had them before. I know what they are like. I got up and slept outside on the terrace at about 3.30am. The next morning I kindly explained to the owner that I had not had a great nights sleep and Im sorry to say I think they have bedbugs. This was met with not just a lack of sympathy or interest in the issue, but an utter disdain. He went to glance at the bed and subsequently told me that he didnt see anything. Him and his wife obviously believed I was lying. The fact they didnt believe me was quite hurtful and with hardly any sleep, I became obviously upset. But my distress was met with even more contempt. I was told to leave right now if thats what I wanted. I explained all I wanted was for them to understand what I was telling them.

I ate my breakfast in tears. As I went to pick up some breakfast (from the buffet that was quite nice btw), the owners wife said 'maybe you will eat that and then get an allergy too', essentially implying that I find fault with everything on purpose. I have no idea what I was to gain by all of this.

It wasnt the fact they had bedbugs- thats an unfortunate consequence of catering to travellers. Its the way they dealt with it. I have no idea why they responded like that at all. But I did not feel 'right at home' as others have said.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank hel123321
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The pension is nice, there is a cool terrace with a great view but the owners are a little bit rude. My girl friend was sick and they didn't let her stay some more hours in the bed after the check out.
Also the terrace is great but they don't let you eat or drink your own staff... you can only buy the things they have.
I wont return there.

Room Tip: The doorrm in the terrace only have 4 beds and the view is great
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Ates is not the most luxerous place you'll ever stay, but it will certainly be the closest to home you'll get when in Kas. The rooms are small, but clean and comfortable. But the best is the roof terrace where Recep and Ayse make you feel right at home. They can tell you all about the things you can do in Kas, and if you like help you with all the bookings. Besides that the terrace (with a stunning view on Kas and the sea) is the kind of place where you can find all a traveler wants:
- travel books
- a lounge corner
- free WiFi
- an internet PC
- a fridge with all kinds of drinks
- nice contacts with other travelers from all over the world
- and most important: a kitchen where Ayse cooks the most tasty Turkish dishes! (Dont eat out in Kas when you stay at Ates! Ayse is the local Jaimy Oliver)

I was going to stay for one, two or three days (depending on if I would like it or not) but ended up staying a whole week.

Room Tip: Slept in one of the private single rooms on the floor just beneath the terrace.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Booked a dbl room and got one with a dbl and single bed, large enough to spread out in. Great mattress,pillows and duvet. Most of the rooms have balconies, some covered with grape vines. Aysha speaks English well and is very helpful, introduces the tours available but doesn't push them. We only went canyoning here, a tour that she doesn't have (recommended! Through Dolce Vita tours 120 TL ) prices for rooms are in line with other places around, but you can find cheaper. There are a lot of stairs here...be prepared. May not be suitable for people who are not so mobile
Breakfast is buffet style, delicious yogurt, not so amazing coffee. Great terrace overlooking the sea, wifi in common areas and sometimes available in the room.
Overall, a nice place to hang out, clean and well kept for the price.

Room Tip: Some have balconies facing the sea
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2011

After yet another lovely Holiday we put pen to paper to say what a great place Ates Pension was thoughtout our stay.Its not just about the room its about your total experience,this is after all a Pension.Our room was clean bright with air con & a ballcony
The Owner (Boss & Mamma) went out of their way to make sure everything we requested was available from the Trips we did,fresh lemon at the bar, a brand of wine,to taking us to the bus station at the end ,Nothing was to much trouble ,they do a very good value meze barbaque in the evening and the views are stunning, Boss even came Diving with us because my wife was a little unsure about doing it
They got us a 4 day Gullet trip , a swimming pool to use and sorted skydiving at the cheapest price we were quoted ..
So if we are ever in that area of Turkey again we will always try to stay at Ates Pensions

Room Tip: Our Room was Room 9
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple