“Great first experience of All-Inclusive”

Garden Resort Bergamot Hotel
Ranked #26 of 283 Hotels in Kemer
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great first experience of All-Inclusive”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Booked 1 week stay here for May 2013, the start of their 'high season' - It has come to the time of year again where we are looking to book another holiday and it reminded me that I promised I would write a great review for this place. The staff were great - really helpful from the moment we arrived, the gardens and grounds were beautiful and the food was just to our tastes.

Before we booked we read some reviews on here that slated the food but all I can say is that if you like fresh, Mediterranean/ Turkish style foods you will be happy (lots of hummus, olives and feta were instant winners for us!). To add to that, even if you don't there was always something that was perhaps more suited to the 'British palate'. People classing the food as 'strange' were perhaps not accustomed to these flavours, for example, Dill is a common herb used in Turkish cuisine and can be tasted in quite a few of their salad dishes. There was also and Italian night and other themed food nights, along with an outdoor grill one night which smelt delicious. Bearing in mind the time of year we went (when it was still reasonably quiet), the size and variety of the spread they put on was fantastic.

We also read on here that the 'all inclusive' was not 'all inclusive', for example it didn't include freshly squeezed orange juice and ice cream. While this was true after a little reading around we started to realise that this was common to a lot of 'all inclusive' resorts and it is very rare that you will find a place that is truly all inclusive in this respect. For example, resorts will advertise "5 great restaurants" but only 2 or 3 of these may be included in the all inclusive package, with perhaps one night of dining included in their more 'superior' restaurants (as was the case for Bergamot which allowed one night of their Italian/Steak restaurant). Reading around greatly increased our knowledge of what to realistically expect on an all inclusive package, and even still we were more than happy with what was provided at Bergamot. For example, they don't tell you that every morning there are dedicated omelette chefs, ready to cook you up your omelette however you like it, with/without ham/ cheese/ tomato/ onion/ peppers/ chilli peppers!!

Location wise this was ideal for us, not too far a walk from the town and you could walk to the beach if you wanted to. The hotel basically had 3 views, pool view, mountain view and carpark view. We met a couple who were staying in the latter and even then you still had good views of the hills behind and it was also probably quieter on this side, not that noise was a problem as they were very good with sticking to 'curfews' when it came to the children's entertainment etc.

Room wise, it had everything we needed and more (the room had another single bed and a childs bed/ sofa by the window). The maids were also very good.

Would also recommend the Hammam/ spa, however, if you are planning on looking nice/groomed the evening following, don't get their specialty oil massage (I can't remember the actual name) as the oil will stay in your hair for about 24 hours, despite washing numerous times in different types of shampoo! My hair did, admittedly, feel great after this!!

I would definitely go back, all in all it was a great holiday for our first experience of '5 star all inclusive'

Room Tip: The surrounding mountains are incredible, but having a pool view let us keep an eye out of when it w...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shef2007

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I can only rate this place 2 stars, 1 for the food and 1 for the location. It loses 3 for the dirty, shabby state of the rooms, the lack of any cohesive management and the fighting between the staff!

When we arrived, we got shown to a room at the side of the hotel which was dark, dirty and unkempt. In my opinion it hadn't been properly cleaned for a good while. There were hairs all over the floor, dust everywhere, black marks on the walls, a broken light bulb, damaged furniture, handprints and dirty marks on the doors/furniture, ripped wallpaper and half an inch of dust and rubbish under the bed. We took a piece of tissue and cleaned 1 square foot of the floor and it was black! We told reception and they moved us to a room overlooking the pool which was nearly as bad. I was fed up at this point so we just decided to stay put but asked for the room to be cleaned properly. Instead of doing what we asked, they sent us a basket of freezing cold manky fruit!

The mattresses are cheap and VERY hard. The 'double' blankets are 6 inches too short on either side - reception told me they don't have double size blankets, even though they have double beds, bizarre! Beware if you're a light sleeper as you will feel every move your partner makes in bed and you may want to take some earplugs as the cockerel and the morning call to prayer may wake you up early.

The main bar, 'Harem Bar' stunk like a gin-soaked parlour room. When we saw the staff doing bad impressions of Tom Cruise in Cocktail we realised why. Most of the booze was on the floor. It could probably be used as floor cleaner though it tasted so bad. One night 2 of the staff decided to have a fight behind the bar. They had to be dragged off each other and 1 of them got sent home. But they were both back behind the bar the next evening!! Apparently the hotel are having 'problems with staff'.

We found out that the previous manager of 5 years left some months ago so this might be where things started to go downhill. Shame really, as it's a nice hotel, in a nice location and the coastline around the area is stunning. Kemer itself doesn't have much to offer unfortunately. It's purpose built with few distinguishing buildings or points of interest. We got lost a couple of times as the streets all looked so similar. The shops sell the same stuff, generally tourist orientated and geared towards Russians. There's a nice beach not too far away, the coastline is beautiful and Antalya is worth a visit too, particularly the old quarter.

The food at the hotel was actually quite good. There was a wide selection of meats, poultry, fish, cheeses, salads, cold mezes, breads, fruit and veg, pastries etc. We always found something nice to eat and somewhere to sit and didn't experience any pushing in. Mahmut who works in the restaurant, was always friendly, courteous and professional. He works very hard and was always smiling.

In summary, I think this hotel is ok if you don't expect very much. If all you want is a bog standard break in the sun and you're not too fussy about the state of your room, the service and the general area, then it would probably do. I was disappointed because from the way it was sold to me by the travel agent ('Award winning hotel bla bla..') and the reviews on here, I was expecting much more.

Room Tip: Seems to be pot luck whether it's cleaned or not so I don't think it matters!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sharon C
U.K
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Me and My husband travelled to Kemer at the end of September 13 and was very happy with most of the aspects of our holiday. Yes there was alot of Russians and Polish but so what I go on holiday to meet other people and cultures and if i only wanted people from my little corner of the world i would go to blackpool instead of abroad!!!!!!
Staff were friendly and managed to assist us despite language barriers, the hotel was clean and cared for. The drink selection was limited compared to other hotels in turkey that we have been to, but the Beer and Wine was nice so we got by. However we did leave the hotel quite often as on a night there was only one bar area open and it got very boring sitting in the same area every night and the entertainment on an evening was horrid, It would be described as a dance show but the animation team didn't actually entertain they expected couples to get up and provide the entertainment and this was the same case most nights.
The food was nice but sometimes very oily (they seemed to cook the kebabs and meat in a bucket of olive oil) and quite repetative, I know this is often what gets said about all inc and usually i am the first to defend them saying its bound to get repetative etc etc but i couldn't eat chicken for 2 weeks once i got home as often the main meat option was chicken, with other course being chicken in 3 different types of sauce and on more then one day it was chicken for lunch and dinner they did have lamb some nights and alot of fish but this is the only resturant for the hotel although there is the al a carte u can book into once a week but you have to pay for drinks there, which i have never come across in the many hotels we have stayed in and its exactly the same beer and wine you get free in the main restuarant, and if you want to go to the steak night you have to pay £10 and then pay for drinks on top.
Kemer itself is clean with lots of shops and restaurants but expensive to the rest of turkey. the beaches in this part of turkey are described as pebble but i would describe it as rocks however the hotels beach is quite sandy but i wish i would have taken some sea shoes as getting into the sea with feet intact was a challenge but worth it as the water is warm and clear.
All in all would i go back? Yes we really enjoyed it however i think some improvements can be made, i.e. maybe another bar open on an evening i like sitting by the pool area on holiday for a drink and the al a carte needs to be included in the all inc

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dollyblue
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My two friends and I have just returned from the garden resort hotel where we stayed for a week. We had a great time, the hotel was clean, the food was very good- lots of variety and choice. No English burgers etc thank God!
The season is ending - the hotel shuts on 5th Nov so it was no where near full, great as far as we were concerned as that meant space and quiet.
Service absolutely great. I have been to Turkey twice before and found the waiters surly and not helpful; this can not be said of here, the staff were all very friendly, happy and helpful particularly Mahmut whose attention to detail and helpfulness put him above the rest. The man who drove the shuttle bus to the beach was so funny too! Guest relations young lady was great too, so polite, interested in speaking to her guests and helping out.
The beach was a well kept secret. Beautiful water, beach and relaxed service made it great fun.
Tuesday market in Kemer really good and only a short walk from the hotel. The shopping area is clean and some good quality shops.
Spa centre in the hotel was a little tired in some parts but the massages were absolutely fantastic! Really good masseurs, very pleasant and Soo good.
Only bad thing was the pools! They were sooooo cold they were unbearable, the sea was much warmer to swim in
All in all, a great week, a good hotel if you're looking for pleasant staff, good food and a relaxed atmosphere. Not sure if it would be my cup of tea in the height of the season but I don't think any of them would be. I would return

Room Tip: Our room was a two bedroom family room. Lots of space in the main room, air conditioning was good. S...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Deborah G
County Durham
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have recently returned from the Garden Resort Kemer where I stayed with my partner and our 3 year old son. The transfer from the airport took around 70 mins and when we arrived just after midnight our bags were taken to our room and small salad rolls had been left for us which although we didn't eat them I thought it was a nice touch. There was also bottled water and cartons of juice which we were grateful for. The room was ok, very clean with a tiny balcony a double and a single bed with a small tv. We were facing the tennis court on the top floor and it was very quiet. The air cond worked fine. The grounds were lovely and clean and the swimming pools were good although the water was ice cold water. The weather wasn't that great but we made the most of our week. Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful and although some of them couldn't speak great English they did their best. The food was ok, plenty to choose from if you like fish and chicken on the bone you will not starve. I feel the desserts could of been better, they looked nice but everything tasted the same. The location was good, the beach was ok. The reason I picked this hotel was mainly because of the great reviews regarding the kid club/animation team however I feel this really let the hotel down and for this reason I would not go back. The kids club appeared to be run by two young girls who couldn't speak English and made no attempt what so ever to include my son in any activities. I think my son was the only young English child there the week we stayed. Whilst he is quite shy he would of joined in had they made even a small attempt to include him. He was actually ignored at one point when all the children were taking turns playing crazy golf he patiently waited his turn and never got one so in the end I had to walk away as I was pretty shocked. Very disappointed with the kids club and I thought the entertainment for the english children on a night was poor. Although I was disappointed by the animation team by son had a great holiday and loved turkey.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Jo C
Newcastle, England
Reviewed 23 October 2013

As two single female travelers we have just returned from a 7 day holiday at this hotel and whilst our experiences are mainly good there were also a few grievances. Here is what
we experienced:

Buffet restaurant - they had a good selection of food and not as repetitive as other all inclusive hotels that I have stayed in, although at times it was a little cold. The
staff work very hard in the restaurant but do not interact with guests in ways that I have experienced in other hotels.

Drinks are not served to the table - you can either help yourself to hot drinks or fruit juices, or go to a bar at the back of the room to order alcoholic or fizzy drinks.We actually only discovered the bar on our forth meal!

Drinks - these are a basic range. "Fruit" juices are pretty much artificially manufactured squash drinks etc and are freely available at the restaurants and bars.
However, coke is kept behind the bar and you must ask for this along with alcohol.

Room - room and balcony were very small, it didn't bother the two of us but I can see why a family of 3/4 would find this tight. The rooms were basic and clean. My main
grievance with the room was that the shower head did not have an attachment for the wall - we had to hold it up and switch it off between washing, there was nothing to stand it on even near the taps. This is not what I would expect from a 4* hotel. We also did not have a plug for the bath or sink and when we asked for one one night it took almost 3 hours for a plug to be delivered to the room. I would expect somewhere to hang the shower head and a plug for the bath or sink would be a basic requirement to any hotel bathroom.

Not included in all inclusive - this was a little odd to me but there were things that weren't included in all inclusive, i.e. real fruit juices, most of the alcohol, ice cream, drinks at the
Italian A La Carte restaurant and also the steak menu incurred a £10 surcharge. In all other hotels that I have been to everything is included.

Pool - pool was very clean and tidy. Towels were provided and could be changed between 4-5pm each day. There wasn't a lot of sun loungers, so get out there early. The sun loungers are also were also quite tightly packed together around the pool unless you break away and sit in the space between the two pools. The pools are surrounded by orange trees where you can pick and eat the fruit, which was lovely.

A La Carte restaurants - we managed to get booked at the Italian after waiting 3 days but when we got there only three tables wee occupied. We asked the waiter and he looked
confused when we said that we had difficulty booking and he booked us in again for another evening. The food was very nice and portions were huge!

WARNING - my main grievance with the A La Carte restaurant was actually the waiter (who we later found out to be the Manager) - we thought that this type of thing wouldn't happen in the hotel like it happens in restaurants and bars in town but we visited the restaurant twice and were propositioned twice. We traveled as two single women and were targeted by the waiter and asked to go to some bars and clubs with him after the restaurant closed. He was quite pushy and didn't want to take no for an answer and so we left. The second night he asked us why we didn't take him up on his offer and again propositioned us with his 'special plan' for the evening for us which involved 'romantic walk along the beach' and '...then afterwards. Well, we will not talk about that yet..'. He was extremely pushy and kept asking even though we kept saying no. Meanwhile the other staff at the restaurant found it highly amusing and it was quite obvious that he did this regularly. Once he realised that we were not going to budge his attitude was not as friendly as it had previously been - my friend saw him later in the hotel reception and he just ignored her. I think he was quite offended by getting the knock back, he clearly wasn't expecting it. This seems to happen a lot in the bars and restaurants but wasn't what I expected from the hotel restaurant!

We realised that there would be a lot of Russians from previous reviews and whilst it doesn't bother me be prepared that they can be quite rude, i.e. not waiting in queues etc.
We didn't let it bother us but others got annoyed with it.

Staff - reception, bar staff and animations team were all very friendly and welcoming.

Spa - we had a lovely scrub and massage at the downstairs spa for 30 Euros, I would recommend that you try this a the start of your holiday.

Currency - it was immensely frustrating to us that all prices within the hotel and in Kemer were in Euros or Dollars when we had taken Lira with us. This means that
you need to ask how much in Lira and the exchange rate that they apply varies massively. For example, they would sell a post card for 1 Euro or 10 Lira!!! If we went again we
would take euros not lira for this reason.

Kemer - this was a nice place only a 10 minute walk away with bars, restaurants and shops. However, being two single women we were a target and we found the shop owners and waiters
extremely pushy in the main. This was to the point that we actively avoided going in to the shops because it was an uncomfortable experience for us.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank sasquat
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife and myself have just returned from a week at the Garden resort and enjoyed our stay there. It is a fairly large hotel and has a large swimming pool, a smaller pool for children and a adult pool which was away in a secluded garden.The hotel was kept clean and the staff worked hard to ensure this, along with the waiters who were very efficient in clearing the tables and changing the table cloths regularly. The hotel has a bar open during the day at the pool side and another in the garden by the adult pool, during the evening the bar is open on the terrace which closed at midnight. The hotel staff were helpful and showed us the sauna, gym and indoor heated pool( which was free to use during the day if you booked in advance) and only had to pay for massage and scrub etc.There was a free shuttle bus to the private beach every half an hour and the beach had free sun beds available and food/ drinks.
Overall it was a good hotel with good service and amenities but the downside for me would be the lack of entertainment in the evening as only saw a magic show once during the week, although there was a kids club available during the day and evening time. Only a ten minute walk into Kemer to do your shopping for souvenirs etc but not many bars and restaurants there as mainly shops. I would recommend this hotel for couples who want a cheap break away in the sun in October as we only paid £300 each fully inclusive so we can't complain!

Room Tip: The rooms situated away from the swimming pools and bar are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple