“fantastic hotel still” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 324 Hotels in Manavgat
cheshire
“fantastic hotel still”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

The Saray is still my favorite hotel, this was my second trip there, I went in september last year also. This year, the owners have bought the adjoining hotel, in some ways this is much better, there is a lovely quiet pool, away from large pool where the animation team are, so no noisy games or music, and only a few children, would have been better still if it had been adults only though, I couldnt understand why some parents decided to bring their children to this pool.
The Gala dinner has now ceased, which is a shame as that was a holiday highlight, it has been replaced by 4 a-la-carte meals per stay, Turkish, Italian, fish and Mexican. which is very nice, but the Gala dinner by the pool was much better.
I think that because both the hotels have merged there is not enough room around the pool to seat everyone for the Gala dinner.
Also because of the merger it has made the restaurant very busy and does not feel quite as special and you now sometimes have to que for a table. I have to say the food is still really good.
The Spa and turkish bath are now in the new hotel and that is a much nicer area.
The new hotel rooms are quite small but very nice and up to date, although we stayed in the old Saray, we did hear some people complaining about the lack of space and storage in the rooms, ie; insufficient hanging space in the wardrobes.
The evening entertainment was much better, a bigger stage and seating area.
All the staff work very hard to please, the animation team are fantastic.
I will be going back again despite the changes they have made.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ivvyl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

Just returned from the Saray Regency Resort and Spa after a weeks holiday with my two children aged 8 and 5. I chose this hotel as I have been before (3years ago), and due to travelling on my own with young children I wanted to go somewhere I had been before. The hotel has now bought the hotel next door and so now has 3 pools, 2 pool restaurants, a main buffet style restaurant and 4 al a carte restaurants. It also has its own spa, gym, jaccuzi and indoor pool. There is a big stage and entertainment area, gardens, and the beach is a few minutes away with its own all inclusive snack bar. Towels are provided every day at the pool with the cards you are given at check in, and can be changed as often as you wish. There are two lounges, one in each hotel and each has cakes/biscuits and a bar open through the day. There are approx 1500 rooms, and whilst I was there, there was approx 200 English guests. The majority being German. The staff speak fairly good english. The main buffet restaurant gets busy at breakfast and tea and drinks service isnt great but the food is lovely and plentiful, hot and fresh. The entertainment team are fantastic and work hard to make everybody feel special. The kids club has fun activities for the kids but I never left my kids for a full session with them at a time. My 5 year old regularly wandered off from the team and they didnt come to check where she had gone. I was nervous about my first holiday abroad alone with the kids (I'm 25) but I can honestly say it was so easy being here and I didn't feel alone with all the friendliness. This was all ruined however, in the last few hours of my stay. I booked a late check-out at reception the day before I was due to go home. I paid 25 euros at reception to keep the room until 4pm as I wasnt being picked up until 6.30pm. I went to check-out at around 3.30pm and was told I owed money for the late check-out. When I explained I had paid the day before (and the man I was talking to was the man who I paid the day before!) I was told I had no reciept and so had to pay again. I refused to pay as I knew I had aleady paid. The manager was brought to me and he told me I was lying and I had to pay the money. My kids started to get upset, and I was in tears by this point. On my own in a foreign country I was not going to lie about 25 euros. The manager phoned my travel agent and told me I couldnt leave until I paid. He stood over me while I waited the remaining 3 hours until my coach arrived. My children were upset, as was I. When my coach arrived, the manager obstructed my way through the doors to leave, and told everyone that was getting on the coach that they couldnt leave because of me. He shouted abuse at me and my kids, until I eventually had enough and barged through, put my own cases on the coach and got on with my kids. The manager continued to shout things at me and my kids. This ruined the whole holiday for me, and I will not be returning to this hotel. Other people have told me they have had run-ins with the manager, and one woman told me he had made her cry on her first day. The hotel is fantastic, as long as you dont come across a problem, because the management will not help you with any problems you may encounter.

3 Thank Sammyboo85
mintball
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

I always said I would never go back to the same hotel twice but reckon I might make an exception for this one. Absolutely loved it. If the staff couldnt speak English, they found someone who could. Any problems with the room "the man that can" arrived at your door within 5 minutes. We met some amazing people there, plenty of brits but on the whole, everyone was pleasant enough even if there was a language barrier.
The entertainment team invited us daily to join in the activities and I'm ashamed to say I knocked them back for the whole 10 days we were there but they never pushed or seemed offended. I used to be a holiday rep and I thought we worked hard, but this animation team put us to shame, they were truly amazing and my 8 year old daughter fell completely in love with Toni...don't blame her though, he was lovely!!!
It was my daughters birthday whilst we were there and a fruit basket was put on her bed and we ordered a huge chocolate cake for about a tenner but when we went to pay for it, they wouldnt take the money and said it was a gift from the hotel.

Food was amazing and the Mexican a la carte is definately worth a visit. The shows at night were hilarious (Turkish night entertainment was a bit pants) and then after the show until midnight quite often was a disco in tha gardens.

Just a note to save confustion..EVERYTHING is priced up in euros...EVERYWHERE. If u pay in Lira, they often struggle to give you change cos the till is full of euros.

I love this hotel and am hoping to return with all our family and friends next year, if u have any questions regarding the hotel and want honest answers, feel free to ask x

6 Thank mintball
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

After a delayed flight with Airtours we arrived at 3am, our Thomas Cook rep ran into the hotel and returned confirming our booking, by the time we reached reception he had gone! There followed a right debacle as we had "no room" , the solitary receptionist who spoke some English kept assuring us he would sort things and we would have a room in an hour!! at 6 am!!! we were shown to a room on the proviso we would be upgraded the following day. By this time we didn't care what the room was like,but to be honest it was very nice and if we had been put in it from the start we would have been happy with it. The following morning,trying to change rooms was comical as although there were 3 people behing the reception only one spoke enough English to understand the situation. Eventually at 3pm after dealing with 3 different people, we were given a 4th floor room overlooking the pool away from the main block with a free safe deposit box, champagne and the offer of a free massage,so if your not happy say so, its worth perservering.
Please note,if you've booked the promotional rooms, it will cost you 90 euro's to upgrade. We met several people who had to do this.
The hotel is very German orientated and you will encounter their usual arrogance although while we were there more English speaking people arrived,although it's still probably a 70/30 split. The food was excellent as was the weather and the entertainment team,Rio and Timo especially,they are all from Tunisia, so there English is much better and they make you feel very welcome.
The Roman ruins in Side are a must to see, 2 Euro return on the bus directly outside the hotel or 22 Euro return in a taxi, Managvat market (mon and thurs), is also good value if you like to haggle!! We were advised to take Lira by T Cook, but I wouldn't bother as everything is in Euro's. This hotel is one of the furthest from the airport so expect a 90 min transfer as you will probably be dropped off last.
All in all we had a lovely time and we would definitely go back as long as they sorted the room allocation process out!!! .

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank naps2611
cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

This is a beautiful hotel, spotlessly clean, comfortable, lovely public rooms, rooms very nice, pool and restaurant areas are great. The food is wonderful. However, what lets it down is the service. Staff are openly rude, service at bars is terrible, reception is rude, slow, unhelpful. Check in at midnight was long, drawn out, and needlessly lengthy. A few examples....everytime you want something for your room, you have to wait in it. We needed extra pillows, a hairdryer didnt work, the fridge and aircon wasnt working, all of these issues the reception response was wait in your room someone will come. Well, I didnt come on holiday to wait around in my room with broken aircon and wait 2 hours for the engineer to arrive. Another example is one of the reception staff asked me to come back to see him at 1pm to sort out an issue, when I got there, hed gone for lunch. When I asked the (very rude) blonde girl on reception about this, she said, "lady, we must eat"!! So rude. He had asked me to come back at that time. The restaurant booking desk was supposed to be staffed 10-1230 everyday, when I went and she wasnt there, reception staff said she eating breakfast, or maybe sleeping today. When they couldnt find her they said shes not there beacuse the restaurants are full. Basically they didnt know, or care. We ordered room service one night, the food took 45 minutes to come and the drinks arrived 20 minutes after the food. There are a few exceptions, Ozden on recption tries his best. The spa booking guy that walks about (he calls himslef Ghengis Khan!!) is really nice and helps you out with any questions you have. But 90% of staff just dont give a damn. We were a party of 7 so if we went the bar we needed a tray. The bar staff basically refuse to give you one and if you insist they say "Only if you bring it back". The staff will not do anything that makes their job in any way harder, and in some cases they dont do their job at all. They see you at the bar and look away, even walk away, and then laugh.

The pool lunch restauarnt has the bizzarest system, the waiters work their way from one end of the room to the other rahter than on demand from tables so they never really get to you because so many people place orders. When I challenged this to Recep (a waiter there) he was rude and quite aggressive, and shouted well everyone has to wait. He was very unpleasant. If you challenge staff, they "front up" to you and shout at you, its just not worth it.

These are a tiny few examples of the constant hassles with staff, I could go on but you get the picture.

There are lots of lovely touches like the bread lady everyday making wraps for everyone (free), chunks of melon being given out round pool, its such a shame that the staff are not managed and actually bother about the people who pay their wages - customers. On balance the frustration of trying to manage the constant issues that you face from staff would put me off coming back, despite the good value. The food howeverm is managed very well, it is fantastic, really clean and well presented and gorgeous options for all.

Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tescoqueen
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

Very clean hotel pool and rooms where cleaned everyday, Great choice in food, Fantanstic Entertainment team worked all day everyday... i dont know how people can slate this hotel cos ive stayed in a few 5* hotels in Antalya Area and this is by far the best!!! I did only pay £750 for 2 Adults and a infant staying 7 nights well worth every penny, looking to rebook again for september ..

2 Thank nmck1986
GLASGOW SCOTLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

What can I say the hotel was great clean and food was excellent something for everyone. The entertainment team were fantastic best I have ever seen at any hotel. Nino the manager was very funny and the boys Rio, Temo,Tony,Bobo,Sam and Jimmy were great worked hard to make our stay brilliant. Dont miss the shows at night some are very funny. The Michael Jackson show is a must to see Tony was superb with his Michael Jackson dancing. Rio is also a excellent dancer. A super holiday would return again was sad to leave. All credit to the entertainment team who work very hard.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manavgat
Linda Hotel
Venus Hotel
Venus Hotel
#92 of 228 in Side
Cenger Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Maritim Hotel Saray Regency? Share your experiences!