“Worst hotel we've ever stayed in”

Ali Bey Club Manavgat
Ranked #74 of 333 Hotels in Manavgat
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Just checking out of the Ali Bey 4 days into a two week holiday. Has got to be the worst hotel we've ever stayed in as a family. Really do avoid this place unless you are looking for rude reception staff, limited facilities, tiny, outdated rooms and poor food. Off to a proper hotel now. The old adage is true. You buy cheap, you buy twice!!

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank JonRegan
There are newer reviews for Ali Bey Club Manavgat

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed during first week of September.
Rooms were cleanand functional...plenty of storage space, reliable safe and mini bar /toiletries replaced daily by pleasant hard working staff.

Grounds were beautiful. Despite being a large resort; it was easy to find your way around to enjoy the great facilities. We never had a problem finding sun loungers around the pools and on the beach.

The water park was the best we have visited catering for all age ranges from toddlers to grannies and plenty of cleverly hidden wow slides for those aged inbetween! ( floor can be slippery so take care )

The food was superb with plenty of choice and great service in both the main, aqua park and beach buffets. Wine and cocktails were the best we've tasted anywhere on holiday!

Didn't participate in any organised animation teams activities but they were on offer. The evening entertainment although mimed was very good; notably the Turkish Night presenting the Dysney Musical Alladin together with a bazaar and camel rides was quite spectacular!

Guests from UK are in the minority in the hotel which we like as we have always found higher standards of service in hotels which do not have a predominantly high nos from the UK

Hotel is quite isolated but taxis and dolmus are available outside the hotel. Do haggle with the taxis........dolmus is much cheaper into Manavgat for the weekly market and Side which is really worth a visit to see the Roman remains/amphitheatre, harbour and shops.

Based on our visit we would thoroughly recommend this hotel and would return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank buzbies
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Hi,

This was our 2nd holiday at Club Ali Bey Manavagat and overall we had a great time but we did have some issues.

Positives
Since we were last there they have banned smoking in the main dining room which was a major gripe the last time we were here. The food was excellent as always and there is plenty of choice. The place was immaculate and the gardens were lovely.

Negatives
The pools were absolutely freezing, I don't remember this being a problem before however we did go slightly later this year.

We had quite a bad rain storm this year and the rain was leaking through our ceiling, informed the reception who sent a guy round who couldn't understand a word of english. We were told we could move room the following morning however as the weather forecast was good we decided to stay where we were which leads me onto my next point. We had a letter posted through our door 3 days before we were due to leave telling us to move room as they were refurbing our block, this was a nuisance as we had to pack all our stuff away and the day we came to move we had to go to reception several times as the room was not ready when they told us it would be. On the positive side they did give us a premier room which was lovely. I think its poor though that the hotel allocated us a room knowing that we would have to move part way though.

The aqua park is great however I lost count of the amount of people who slipped over on the slippery surface, this holiday I took sea shoes and I am so glad I did. On one occasion I watched as a lady holding a small child slipped over which was shocking.

On the friday night before we left the resteraunt we usually eat in was holding a party so we had to eat outside and it was pretty chilly. I feel they should have advised us that this was going to happen.

Summing up its still a lovely place and we will go again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sneekes1969
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed for a week at the start of October.

We Brits made up the "4% other" of the nationalities staying. Russian and German made up the other 96%. We did find it a little hard to get served at the bar but not impossible.

Food - spectacular. Couldn't fault it at all. All fresh, and all abundant. If I had one gripe though it would have been the deserts. They looks fantastic, but tasted nothing like they looked. Stick with the baklava. That is delicious!

Sun beds - very hard to find. The towels were typically "put down" early. (might have something to do with the 96% Russan and German guests!) We found some on the beach though. The pool was immaculate and very little used when were there.

Evening entertainment - cheesy but okay.

Accommodation - tired, but clean. Bathroom stench pipes got a bit stinky especially in the morning.

We arrived tired in the very early hours of the morning and were taken to our room by buggy! We had ordered a twin with an additional bed but were given a double with an additional bed. Being way too tired to complain that night, we decided to try in the morning. Just as well we did as the accommodation was clearly built with no sound proofing! The bungalow style accommodation meant that we, below, could hear every time someone either moved a bit of furniture, closed a door, went to the toilet, or even turned over in bed! Not ideal and not a good first nights sleep. First thing in the morning we went to reception to get our accommodation changed to what it should have been when we arrived. This was done promptly with no quibble. Do yourself a favour and get a second floor room. The beds are very hard, but the pillows are lovely. However, the additional bed in the family room was very uncomfortable and "banana" positioned you for sleep. Not least of which because it appeared to be an occasional camp bed! (see photo)

Transfer time by coach from Antalya - just over an hour.

Kids clubs - Didn't see any and all the events were directed towards either really little ones or teenagers. Nothing for the 5 to 12 age range that I saw.

Water Park - Very clean and friendly. Be careful though, the tiled floor is very slippery especially on the stairs up to the water chutes. There are lifeguards on duty, but they like to text a lot and don't pay a great deal of attention.

Interesting fact - appears you can get UK prescription medication if needed! I left my stomach acid blocking tablets in the UK so went to reception to ask if they knew somewhere I could get some Gavisgon or similar - they offered to speak to the chemist locally for me, and after telling them that I had left my prescription tablets at home, they arrived with some which cost a tenth of the price. They were exactly what I take in the UK!

Smoking is NOT restricted, ANYWHERE. It got quite difficult to find somewhere that wasnt populated by groups of smokers. I don't mind the smell (infact sometimes I quite like it) but its everywhere and relentless. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and the bar area. There was no let-up! If you love your fags, you'll love this place!

All in all, a nice stay but I would be in a hurry to return.

Room Tip: Try and get a top floor room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank OneHappyChicken
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This was the best all inclusive I have been too, the food was similar to all inclusives I have been to before but there was more choice and it was of a higher quality. All drinks are served in glasses and bottles rather than plastic cups like all the other all inclusives I have been to in the past. Icecreams are available all day and include branded ones like Magnums, Cornettos etc. The waffle chef made great waffles and was very friendly! he made smily faces on them for my little boy with the sauce!

There are several places to eat but we generally went to one of the main restaurants for dinner and the Aquapark restaurant for lunch. The Beach restaurant was lovely for breakfast one morning and we also went there for pizza one lunchtime. There are basically 2 hotels here, Alibey Club Park and Alibey Club but they merge into one and you can use all the facilities of both.

The accomodation was better than I was expecting after reading the reviews and the bed was very comfy! The balconies didnt get much sun as were quite shaded, but we didnt mind too much as it meant the rooms didnt get too hot. Our clothes didnt dry very quickly though!

There are a few big pools, a few small toddler splash pools and an adult only silent pool, as well as the Aquapark just over the road basically. The Aquapark was great and my 2 and half year old loved it. There is a fake beach area with shallow water and slides etc which is perfect for toddlers! There is also the beach of course, but we found it hard to get a lounger there unless we went first thing. I did get bitten twice by something in the sea though so that put me off going back in lol, think it was a small fish or something. Towards the end of our holiday they did put out loads of new sun loungers though which made it easier to get one.

The grounds were spotless but the only negative I can give about cleanliness was the room. The floors were dirty and walking round in barefeet my feet were black! The clearner also forgot to give us any towels at all at least twice after taking the dirty ones, so we had to call up to get new ones sent to us. Anytime we rang reception they were really helpful and things were dealt with very quickly.

There were not many English people there and we did find sometimes we were not served at fast as other people, however generally the service was so quick anyway there was nothing to complain about.

The evening entertainment was pretty good and they copied shows like Tarzan, The Lion King and Shrek, my little boy loved them! They didnt start till half 9 though, and the kids disco finished at half 8, so have to kill an hour in between.

There are some shops nearby, 10 min walk, where you can buy kids pool toys and inflatables etc, much cheaper than the hotel, remember to haggle them! They dropped from 20 euros to 5 for a bucket and spade set!

The only things needed to make this 5 out of 5 for us is a better balcony with sun and a good view and a better cleaner for the room.

Top tips-

Take pool shoes- its very slippy and sand/floors get very hot
Don't pay the prices at the hotel shops
Dont take towels as all provided, you can swap beach ones as the towel exchange
Get to the beach or pools early for a lounger, we didnt have a problem at the Aquapark
Take snacks for kids for the room to keep them happy while you getting ready

Room Tip: If dont like noise ask for a room away from the bar/restaurant areas
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank spamo
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was our first year at the Ali Bey and we went with two adults, 12 year old boy and 17 year old daughter. The holiday was fantastic and couldn't fault the hotel. There is information that is really helpful to know if it is your first time which will save you a fortune.

Tips:
- if taking children, buy pool shoes from the UK (usually £10) as the tiles around the waterpark get scorching (especially peak season) and my son ended up burning his toes.
- No need to take shampoo or shower gel, Dove bottles are provided in the bathroom and when you need re-fills you just put them with your dirty towels.
- No need to take pool towels. White towels are provided for your room and beige towels are provided for the pool, all of which are changed daily.
- take a first aid kit, local chemist costs a fortune as well as resort shops. basic things like plasters, bandages and antiseptic creams are very expensive.
- take lots of good sun cream - the resort and local shops charge around £20 - £25 for one bottle of suncream.

Overall, we couldn't fault the food, there was lots of choice from steak, fish, lamb, chicken you name it...its available. Ice cream is branded and served all day long - walls cornetto;s etc. Lots of sunbeds at the water park although people do start queuing at 9.10am although we always found beds. Restaurants have plenty of space and never struggled to get a seat no matter what time we went. They made a special effort on my daughter's birthday and brought her a cake etc.

Pools are very clean. Didn't hear one person with a stomach upset or being unwell although there was a couple of ear aches but nothing that some ear drops didn't solve.

As a family we would definitely return.

Room Tip: You can pay extra for superior rooms however I didn't think it was worth it considering we only...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank blondie197431
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at an Ali Bey resort,& on both occasions,have been fantastic.
Fantastic location,clean,superb choice of food,and hotel grounds are spotless.
Water park is spacious,good variety of slides,separate children's area,and plenty of sun beds.
Shows are very good,but thought a 9.30pm start,was a bit late,as kids show finished at 8.30pm.
Staff very friendly.
Only slight gripe I had,was cost of items in hotel shops(25 euros for a small sun cream),shopkeeper said it was due to import costs .I said for that price,it could have its own seat on the aircraft !!
Overall though,would thoroughly recommend .

• Stayed: August 2013