“Superb Family Holiday - already booked 2012”
Review of Royal Dragon Hotel

Royal Dragon Hotel
Ranked #19 of 227 Hotels in Side
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Superb Family Holiday - already booked 2012”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Having being to Lara Beach ( Limak ) we thougt we would try another part of Turkey with more to see. Side area is much better. Family of four, 2 girls 13 and 16. We have already booked for next year and taking parents with us, Booked Duplex room which is superb.2 bathrooms which is essential.
For value RD beats Cornelia and Voyage, the other 2 main contenders. Our girls loved the fair and meeting others around the resort. They said they could not belive how good the holiday was. They were in the disco everynight with other children they met. Secutiy guards everywhere and felt very safe for the girls and wife. Quite unlike the Limak where some of the staff's behaviour is unaceptable, especially for a '5 star.' Slides great for all ages.
Beach restaraunt turns into entertainment place in the evening which goes down well with all ages. Food very good, tables split into separate area so does not seem so manic like the Limak.
Air Con just OK, staff very friendly,

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Terry K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Scottish Borders
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We have just returned from the Royal Dragon, stayed a week up to 18th October. Fantastic hotel, room, food, everything!! Our kis's had a great time (8 and 3) the slides and funfair were fantastic! You will never go hungry, always food available and good food at that, something for everyone (even pureed food for babies in the kids corner!). We had a fanily suite which consistes of twqo separate rooms one double and another, the same size with two single beds, more than enough room and plenty space in hall area outside bathroom to store buggy. If i had to complain about anything it has to be the air conditioning which had been switched off (Management Decision) as they regarded it as 'Too cold', temps were reaching 28-30 degrees and I found it extremely uncomfortable, my make-up ran off my face as I put it on at night!! The ionly reason I feel this is worth complaining about is it is a 5* Hotel and there was a thermostat which yuou coud use independantly. You could turn heat on or have it on Air con cool setting, i feel it should have been an option for individual guests. However - this hotel is a must visit if you are considering, would definately reccomend it and would certainly go back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank clairegrieve1
ireland
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I was in this hotel for a week from 11th September and indeed this place is fantastic.Everything that has been written is true. I booked this hotel in January through Thomas Cook and we got a brill deal. The food is out of this world, the pools, the service, the drinks, the surroundings, the rooms, all exceptional.The kids loved the water park and the fairground every night.
Just one complaint. Our air conditioning was switched off every night at 2 am until 2pm the next day. Guest relations said this was usual for winter. The room was suffocating from 4.30am on. Its very confusing, we seem to be the only people this happened to. None off the other guests we met spoke English so I couldnt ask them. It was a pity this happened. At first we thought the air con was broken and the receptionists spoke such bad english they couldnt explain it was being turned off.

The shops are great, especially the ones with everything priced just across the road from the hotel. bring an extra suitcase.
I asked for a quiet room and although we were far away from every thing, we couldnt hear a thing at night. Its a big plus that the hallways are carpeted. no noise.
Loved this place and would go back but not with the air con being switched off.

1 Thank mumof3Ireland
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed in this Hotel from Sept29 to Oct 11 and had the best time.
We traveled with our 4 children aged 6,5,3 and 8 months. We had a Family Duplex room which was very spacious, spotlessly clean and Air con worked a treat.
The Staff in this Hotel were super from the Check-in desk, entertainment team, Guest Relations, Chefs and Waiters right through to the never ending cleaning team. We did not feel they favored German or other Nationalities everyone was treated the same, and they made us feel very special with there helpfulness and friendliness.
The Aqua park, Fair and all facilities are great for Children the Beach is very Pram friendly and sea a lovely temperature.
The food in this place is excellent and I never usually venture to eat Seafood etc when in Foreign countries but did here and had no problems excellent and flavorful. We ate in the Chinese, Italian and Turkish, the Italian was my favorite but they were all super including the Buffet hall.
Thank you Royal Dragon for a super Holiday couldn't ask for more will be back next year :)

Room Tip: We emailed the Hotel and requested a Sea Pool View before arrival and were accomadated
Dorset
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We are a family with girls aged 6 & 7, we stayed at The Royal Dragon in August and loved it. The food and restaurant have been brilliantly described in previous posts and I can't add anything else, apart from to say the the food and restaurant were amazing. The options in the restaurant were varied nightly.
The entertainment team were incredible and the choice of entertainment was superb, the nightly entertainment in the Ampitheartre was great, sometimes a bit cheesy but always entertaining.
We would 100% recommend The Royal Dragon

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank PhilSwannie
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I would like to start by making it clear I do not want to put anyone off this property and the holiday would have been rated 4/5 if it was not for one incident I will come to at the end of my review, which resulted in me having no option than to score it so low due to the utter contempt I was treated with. (more about this at the end of the review)

This was a two week (22/09/11 - 06/10/11) family holiday with my wife and two children (8 & 10), I have been to Turkey many times before and thoroughly enjoyed all other holidays staying in 5 star hotels in various parts of the country, on my last occasion I stayed at the Lara Beach Hotel in Lara therefore was comparing this to my stay there and overall Lara Beach won hands down. I will try and list and comment on all aspects of my holiday in sections and also provide a few tips that may help anyone due to visit

Hotel :-

The hotel itself is absolutely magnificent, yes it is a very large hotel, however did not have the feeling of being so large, due to the well designed layout. First views of the hotel give off a grand impression and the attention to detail and luxury fittings extend throughout the hotel. this is probably one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in however it was very impersonal, maybe this is because the Stone Group who owns this and other hotels and is expanding quickly has taken their finger off the pulse and forgotten it is just not the appearance of the hotel that matters but also the experience and rapport between it's staff and its customers that would make them return. As other reviewers have said, the whole hotel is absolutely spotless, there is almost an army of staff constantly around the hotel cleaning, tidying, fixing etc etc. The grounds, various pool areas and hotel itself are immaculate, full marks to them for maintaining such an operation, there are also many managers constantly keeping their eye on everything and the hotel itself is ran very professionally.

I would agree with other reviewers the hotel was about 90-95% Germans, with Russians, English and other Nationalities being the minority, this was fine however this made it difficult for my children to make friends as they normally would due to the language barrier. One annoying aspect though was the general assumption of staff that you were German, and almost all staff greeted you in German. The English spoken by the majority of the staff was also quite limited, although I suppose as the majority of guests were German, this is what they were employed for. Having said this, all staff were polite, helpful and friendly and tips were appreciated although I think they were not officially supposed to accept them they were never refused when I gave them, I only gave them discreetly and passed over on the palm of the hand as a handshake not waved about like Peter Kay in Greggs ! The only area were staff were ignorant was reception for example if you went to the cashier desk and there was no-one there the other reception staff would ignore you, you had to approach whoever was available directly.

Rooms :-

Again the room was immaculate, I had a family room with two single beds and a chaise lounge in one room, with a separate room with a double bed. Both rooms had separate balconies and the bathroom was very nice and adequate. Housekeeping was excellent and rooms cleaned daily to an exceptionally high standard, the maids do a terrific job. I did not have any problems with the air con (I left a separate card to keep it on when I was not in the room), although the daily temp ranged from 29 to 35 Celsius whilst I was there I can imagine in the very hot months it may not be up to the job and can appreciate what some other reviewers have said in relation to that aspect. The minibar was re-stocked daily with beer, several soft drinks and both still and sparkling water, however the actual temp of the fridge was not cold enough even though I had turned the thermostat to its maximum. The room itself was one of the nicest, most spacious rooms I have stayed in with plenty of storage, cupboards, drawers and wardrobe space. One negative and this is no fault of the hotel, but Thomas Cook do not make it very clear in the brochure or online of what the differences between the actual rooms are as when I booked over the phone I asked for and was told I had a duplex room and that this was called a family suite, only after reading other reviews where this appeared to be an issue did I query this with the hotel itself prior to arriving and was told they have no such room as a 'family suite' and that the room that Thomas Cook had booked was a family room not a duplex room. I queried this by email to Thomas Cook, as I could not find a telephone number to actually speak to customer services anywhere and they appeared to be quite clueless to which room was which and exactly what room I had. I did however during my visit have chance to see the duplex room and although it was split over two floors both rooms were almost of same size so don't be disappointed which ever room you have as they are both great ! There was also a safe which was free (as it should be) although I have been to previous hotels that charge you for the privilege so this was a bonus. Beach/pool towels could be changed daily free of charge.

A few nights in, after my daughter had a bath I went to empty the bath and the device you turn to raise the plug simply came off in my hand. I examined it and it appeared the plastic attachment at the back of it had become worn. The following morning I reported this to reception and when I returned to the room a couple of hours later the device had been replaced, an excellent, quick and efficient repair. (Please note I will return to this issue later)

Entertainment / Daily Activities / Water & Fun Park / Beach:-

I only went to the nightly entertainment on about 4 or 5 occasions, and to be frank it was absolute rubbish on all except the Michael Jackson show, although please get there early as it was absolutely packed (The power of the internet !!) One strange thing however was that the Amphi Bar (the bar at the ampitheatre) closed at 21:30, the same time the main shows started, no idea why this was when almost every other bar remained open ?? Turkey appears to be the one country were professional acts are not brought in which would have been an asset, particularly to a 5 star hotel.

There was a good choice of daily activities and the entertainment team did a very good job making you aware of what was available without being pushy or pestering you if you did not want to join in, the entertainment team also made the time to try and chat to everyone (even if you were not German) and they did work very hard.

The Beach was exceptional for Turkey, fine sand and a very shallow slope out to the Sea, it is a Blue Flag Beach with a large cordon off for swimmers / paddlers etc, I could even stand up fully about 200 yards out. The sea temperature was wonderful, similar to a luke warm bath and a welcome relief to the heat of the day. It was very safe for children and a whole variety of not over priced water-sports were available. Loungers and a beach bar also made the beach a very popular day time destination.

The water park with slides was great fun, and very popular with children and us grown up children alike, again with a bar for refreshments. The funfair (only open between 19:00 & 21:30) was great fun, the pirate ship however being great fun did seem a little unsafe due to the heights it was pushed to, if you do have small children I would not advise letting them on there alone, and a design flaw would be the fact that two small black handles in the middle of the bar where you sat could release the bar, rather than only the operator having access to it from the outside.

Local Area / Shopping / Excursions / Other:-

The hotel is not in a particularly good location with only a small handful of shops within a 5 minute walk. The local bus (dolmus) however is very reliable and could take you to Side or Manavgat in about 25-20 mins for only 3 TL per person, Taxis were plentiful however expensive and the dolmus did just as good a job for a fraction of the price. Manavgat was like a bustling city centre and not particularly a pleasant visit with two children, however many bargains available at the market. (Only on Monday & Thursdays) Side however is an absolute must, I thoroughly enjoyed it so much we went back 3 times during our stay, but make sure you do go at least once. The ruins were amazing and so interesting, we visited both the ancient ampitheatre and the museum (Museum closed on a Monday) both were 10TL for adults, and free for children to enter, I would recommend both if you this interests you.

Thomas Cook wanted £168 for a boat trip for us (2 adults, 2 children 8 &10) Just where or how they are able to justify charging such extortionate rates is beyond me, I can only suggest by people not letting them rob them then they may re-think and actually price trips appropriately. I booked another boat trip at a travel agent in Side for just £38, the only difference being that only lunch and not drinks were included (simply stock up at the Supermarket or take drinks from the minibar in the room to avoid paying over the odds prices on the boat)

You MUST haggle almost everywhere in Turkey, it is a way of life for them and expected. I haggled for trips, for exchange rates, for ice cream, in bars, in restaurants, shops and even the chemists !! Just inject some humour and respect the seller, stay firm and pay what you think is a fair price, you should end up meeting somewhere at a good price if you do it well. You can still say no thank you and walk away if you do not get to the price you want !!

As other reviewers have said DO NOT change money at the hotel, they give you about 20% less, I took sterling and found the best exchange rates were at the Post Office in Side (at the bottom of the main shopping road leading to the harbour) I also found Turkish Lira was the best currency to use for everything, definitely NOT Euros.

Food and Drink :-

There was a good choice of drinks available at the bars, with many cocktails (both for adults and children), different coffees, teas, liqueur coffees, Irish Cream (similar to Baileys) , a good Jack Daniels copy, Whisky, Gin, Cognac and many other spirits, Red & White Wine (the white was not too great) and Sparkling Wine. Please note it is Cava and not champagne as some other reviewers have called it, although I doubt anyone would realistically expect it to be Champagne. It was however very drinkable, not sweet and a decent quality Cava. I did however on about 12 occasions over the 2 weeks have drinks served in dirty glasses or with things floating in or stuck to the glass. (a little bit more care with the glass-washing would resolve this)

The food as other people have said was definitely plentiful with a vast array of dishes and places to eat. Personally the main restaurant was a big disappointment as the ethos was obviously quantity not quality. Breakfast had strange things such as deep fried cauliflower, sauteed potatoes and grilled aubergine, but lacking basic items such as baked beans or tinned tomatoes (had in every other hotel I have stayed in Turkey). Dinner in the main restaurant consisted of a massive range of dishes mainly containing Turkey , almost like revisiting Boxing Day again and again. Meatballs or mince meat were also a recurrent feature. A couple of times they had roast beef (chewy and over cooked), salmon (a cheap cut full of bones), lamb chops (cheap gristly ones), prawns (again over cooked). It would be far better to reduce the offering and use better quality ingredients, I suppose whether you enjoy quality or quantity would decide whether this hotel is right for you.

I tried all 4 specialty restaurants, the fish restaurant was rubbish, don't bother. Both the Italian and Turkish restaurants were good, but again the tendency to use cheap ingredients and over cook food was prevalent and ruined what could have been amazing dishes. The Chinese restaurant had a delicious Calamari and a wonderful spicy Soup and noodle salad, but ruined by a massive slab of over cooked cheap duck breast for the main course.

Anyway I will now return to the main reason I scored this hotel so low and left me absolutely disgusted at the way I was treated, particularly as this is allegedly a 5 Star hotel and I was travelling as a professional respectable family not a group of drunken teenagers in Ayia Napa. This relates to the issue with the plug in the bathroom which I had earlier commended the hotel for the swift efficient repair.

After I checked out on the last day the man behind reception said guest relations wanted to speak to me, I first thought it was maybe for some feedback or a chat about my stay - how wrong was I to be proved !! Anyway after leaving me stood there for 15 minutes whilst the lady at guest relations spoke to reception with me having no idea what was going on, the lady from guest relations told me there had been a problem with the plug in the bathroom. I knew fully about this because I had it reported this to them when it had happened ! Anyway she told me I had deliberately broken it and that I had to pay 35 Euros, if I was not so insulted at what they were accusing me of it could have almost been laughable ! The utter contempt and way they spoke to me and the body language they were giving off was absolutely unforgivable, particularly as this is a 5 Star luxury hotel that I had paid over £3500 for. I point blank refused to pay and was again left waiting whilst the lady vanished for another 10 minutes to return to let me know she had spoken to the manager and that on this occasion I would not have to pay, almost expecting me to be grateful. This left me leaving the holiday so incensed and disgusted I would never return to any of the Stone Group hotels even if you paid me. I do not want to put anyone off but if you are unlucky enough to encounter anything breaking, be warned !!!!

37 Thank goodfoodhuntermcr
Reviewed 30 September 2011

One if the best hotels I've staid in, I work for a travel company and travelled the world ... This hotel is everything you need and are looking for , food fantastic , great entertainment , drink is good .. Rooms ate spotless .., please visit x you won't be disappointed ., email me for further information .,

• Stayed August 2011