“Perfect for families - would be perfect without the aggressivity of some members of their staff (mainly waiters)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Dragon Hotel

Royal Dragon Hotel
Ranked #17 of 228 Hotels in Side
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Spent 14 days with my 2 kids (7 yrs and 20 months), there are many good things about this hotel : arrived at 2 am and we received a warm welcome at the reception, room ready, luggage delivered directly in the room. Spotless hotel (really everywhere, it is spotless), great aquapark for kids, pools are really nice, I never woke up at 6am and always found a transat (in the sun of course), good choice of food, the animation team is really good too, not sure about the mini-club as my kids didn't go, the funfair is really nice, the shows in the evening too (was surprised by the quality of the shows done by the animation team and also the ones from external groups). The beach is really nice too. Most of the staff is really nice and smiling, willing to help or deliver their service in a professionnal way. I am not giving a rating 5 because of this : was confronted to 2 very rude/aggressive waiters at the main restaurant (when you arrive at the main restaurant during the last 30 min of the service.. no service at all.. tables are started to be prepared for next service.. so some waiters do not care and are aggressive when you try just to find a table... I guess they prefer you to go to another area so you don't spoil a table they already prepared for next service!). Quite a shame for a 5* hotel. Another thing is that the coffee is not good at all. I would recommend this hotel for families, my 7yrs loved it and I agree, quite an amazing place for kids. The Mini-Disco is the worst I have seen in a hotel (only negative point for the animation team).. they spend only 10 minutes doing same songs without motivation.. and the last 20 minutes doing a game where several kids cry each day when they loose.. not nice atmosphere (compared to mini-disco I have seen in other hotels where kids really have fun together and dance).. after 3 times my daughter didn't want to go anymore.. she preferred the funfair !

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building specially if you have kids so you can save time!
2 Thank NZINJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed at the royal dragon in July with my wife and seven year old daughter. This is an excellent hotel don't be put off by negative comments .firstly your children are your responsibility, not the hotels. If you travel with this attitude you will have an enjoyable stay. Food was plentiful and varied, waterpark although slippery as expected with water enjoyable. Mini funfair in the evenings also a welcome distraction. The negative reviews on here have been petty and unfair.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
5 Thank Larryriveira41
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Would defiantly recommend this hotel ,it's super clean staff work all day and night in this hotel there so hard working,felt abit sorry for them picking up off some every lazy holiday people ,and they do it with a smile ,food is lovely plenty of choice although I would recommend they put Abit more English choices on as it seems to be be geared up to the Dutch and Russian choice ,and also more baby facilities that said tho I didn't struggle with this but would have been nice ,pool areas huge with plenty of choice of busy pools with slides and quite more quite side to, great beach just out at the door to ,entertainment staff are nice especially ice ,and max ,gorgie was manager of entertainment he's good for eye candy lol but on an honest nite they really do try to entertain for everyone ,since ladt time we were there they have now built a shopping mall literally just on the door of hotel which us nice to look around ,also forgot the fair in this hotel it's not huge but my 4 year old loved it x

Stayed June 2014
Somerset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We returned from the Royal Dragon Hotel last week after a 10 day stay and had a Fabulous and Memorable Time !
Before I begin my review on the Hotel itself , I would advise anyone who has booked this hotel to take in lightly all the negative comments that are made .
After booking we sat and read numerous bad reviews about this hotel and actually wondered whether we'd done the right thing in booking here .
Some of the reviews made can put you off un-necessarily , which is awful to taint the Hotels reputation in such a manner .
When entering the Hotel to check it , You couldn't help but notice how Stunningly presented it was . Check in was relatively Quick as No-one else was Waiting .
The staff here worked SO hard to cater for all the Guests , Some individuals went out of their way to make our stay as pleasurable and Memorable as it was .
The Duplex room was Very nice , although a little back to front to us as the double bed was upstairs and twin beds downstairs , we have 3 children 10 , 7 and 10 months we needed to tend to the baby but the cot was downstairs . We moved the cot upstairs with us but then couldnt let the baby crawl around due to the design of the duplex room ( open railings ) we coped and made it work for us .
FOOD : This we can't understand ..... why is everyone slating the food ?? ..... The choices was unbelievable , something for everyone ....Surely if your holidaying in another country you attempt to eat their style of food . If all you want is Macdonlds you might as well stay In England .
The Thomas Cook Rep : Faye Bliss is Fabulous !! ..... She along with my Boyfriend made this Holiday so Special for Our family , Nothing was too much trouble and she was sincerely Happy to help us in our arrangements .
The ONLY things that irritated me whilst here was : The extremely slippery floor around all pool sides and toilets, I'm suprised an accident prone person like me didn't end up in injury and the ignorance of some Nationalities , there's subtle rudeness and damn right rudeness , This was something that was noticed all over the hotel .
Over all ..... Royal Dragon we'll be returning another year :)

6 Thank 311Lisa
Nieuw Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

If you have every inch of your body covered with tattoo ink, have a skinhead, few manners and wear a lot of gold-book away with confidence! You won’t be alone.

We just came back from 17 nights at the Royal Dragon. The bottom line is I was glad to leave and wouldn't book again. The stay was overly long though, and we did take 3 children 3 months, 2 years and 5. I realise it is difficult taking young children away, and that it where you need a good hotel. I’d say there are much better options to make your life easier. I’m amazed it’s so high on trip advisor for families.

I booked after reading all the good reviews. Last year we stayed at the Gural Premier Belek, and was very impressed by my first Turkish experience. This hotel was about 60% of that. It was overly busy and the service was mainly being scowled at or ignored by the waiters. Land of smiles it was not. The main lunch room had the same relaxing air that Heathrow airport has at peak period. If you know of the front cover of the movie Platoon-that’s how I felt at every meal time! It was noisy, stressful and monotonous. It was like living in a compact London or Paris for a week, too many people, lack of manners and every man for himself.

I ‘m English and live in Amsterdam so I’m not one of those who wants to read the Sun and eat pie and chips. I’m used to the European life, but here was very German focussed. Just didn’t like this place at all, looks good but that’s it. The kids liked it though.

Negatives

• The pool side is far too slippy-I saw 3/4 people with strapped up ankles and wrists. I’d put money on this being the culprit. My kids feel every day so I had to hold them by the hand constantly.
• The entertainment is pretty dire, the animation team is pretty much the same as the evening one. Last year I enjoyed very professional shows, this was almost 18/30 standard. They seem to make an effort in the day though.
• One Towel kiosk for the whole complex, even then it’s closed at times. It’s just hassle to change
• The family rooms are on the 6th floor and a mezzanine floor, it’s a nightmare if you have a 2 year old climber
• No special touches at all, not five star.
• Mediocre food, there are some good meals but some really poor standard stuff e.g. the jacket potatoes, toasted sandwiches. It’s exactly the same every day.
• Over the top towel reserving-it starts at 7 which is supposed to against hotel policy but they don’t do anything about it. It just adds to the hassle when you wake up and think about rushing to get out with your towels and inflatables.
• Some might like this but I didn’t like the way the pools are all segmented. Even the bridge running through stops the view so I felt hemmed in, with no open space. It’s hard to manoeuvre round with a pushchair.
• The mini disco – terrible songs like ‘’head and shoulders’. My kids wanted Katy Perry and Gangnam style, so they never wanted to go after the first few days.
• Water Park is a bit small, and no pirate ship or toys in the kids pools. The green slide is dangerous as all the kids get stuck, and then every now and then an adult comes down and takes them all out.
• Visit the Patisserie-there are about 8 things on the menu and the waitress doesn’t know what they are, she didn’t know Latte or Cognac! She didn’t get any better.
• The Coffee is awful, all from an instant machine
• The food and snacks are mainly sweet
• The dark dining areas
• 2 lifts to the 6th floor
• Very slow free wifi, but it was free. You can send the odd email but reception drifts in and out

Positives

• The lobby & Rooms
• The Beach
• The Beach party
• The a la carte restaurants were good with decent service for a change. We tried the fish and and the Chinese, both good.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank jonc73
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

After booking this holiday we were a bit worried that it would be more for families as there is a kids fun park and slides, but as the hotel is so big there is plenty of places that are quieter to sit. I loved the pool as you could swim all the way around and it was always very clean.
The food was lovely and so much choice, we love all-inclusive holidays!!
We had paid a bit extra for a sea view but on check in we were both given a free upgrade to suite's - these were amazing.
Staff were great, plenty of food and drink and the sun was out every day.
Thank you Royal Dragon for a great holiday we will always remember :o)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here for 17 nights with my family of 5 (children aged 5 years, 2 years and 3 months old) in August 2014.
Plus points: the large lagoon style pool which is plenty big enough for everyone and their inflatables. It's set out in a way so there are a lot of private small areas to sit so it doesn't feel like you're sitting around an enormous pool. There is however no big open space so it depends what you like. I didn't mind it but my partner prefers a big open space.
Minus points: everything centres around the pool snack bar and amphitheatre area. This area gets very wet and slippery. I have never seen so many people constantly slipping over. There are only 3 toilets here and they are overused and it's like an ice rink. I couldn't let my daughter go on her own for fear she would fall and hurt herself. There is also no baby changing facilities at any of the pool toilets. The excess water in this area really needs sweeping away regularly. It's quite simply dangerous and doesn't matter how many yellow boards you put out stating 'slippery floor', something simply needs to be done about it. At the aqua park they have put mats down by the children's slides and tape on the floor in some sloped areas but overall, everywhere is very slippery.
In the evening this very same slippery area is where the amphitheatre is. Toilets haven't been cleaned from the busy day time and the floors are still wet and slippery except now you have the extra obstacle of it being dark!
Food: the food is the same every single day at the pasta bar on the beach (same 3 types of pasta and sauce). It's really not difficult to vary this. The food at the pool snack bar is also the same every day and rotates so from 12-2 you can get kebabs and fried chicken, then they finish and it's jacket potatoes, then you can get ice cream then later in the day it's all sweet stuff only (pancakes, chocolate cakes, biscuits). There is far more sweet stuff than savoury. Nothing healthy. There is fruit put out but why can't that stay out all day? It's only out for an hour or so and replaced by cake. The coffee machines are Nescafé - really low grade - throughout the hotel.
The kebabs are nice but not always ready at 12 noon when snack bar opens.amazing really as lunch is the same time every day. The ice slush drinks are also never ready when the bar opens. I was told several times to come back in an hour!
The food in the main restaurant was disappointing. Not much variety at all. I fully expect food to be repeated after a week or 10 days but this was the same every day, chicken, steak, stir fry, pasta. No creativity shown by the chefs at all. In addition, the main restaurant was under staffed. Tables could not be made up again quickly enough during peak times. Staff even told us they were under staffed and staff were taken from other a la carte restaurants to work in the main restaurants affecting service in these dining establishments instead. No wonder staff look fed up. They're over worked.
The a la carte restaurants were good, especially the fish one.
Aqua park is small and open 10-12 and 2-5 only. The burgers served there are awful.
Everything seems to finish at 5. Pool bar, food, aqua park. So whilst the pool is open till 7pm you can't then get a drink. You're not allowed to drink in the lobby when you're all wet from the pool. The pool bar should stay open longer and not sure why the aqua park bar closes at 5. Just because the slides stop doesn't mean you have to or want to leave. There is a kids pool so you can stay but you can't get any drinks nearby.
One of my biggest frustrations however is the subbed reserving. By 7.30 in the morning everything is gone. They are even reserved at night. The hotel make a big statement about not tolerating this but from what I saw, it's all talk and nothing is enforced. You simply don't need this additional hassle when on holiday. If you can't beat them, join them....yes we were forced to put towels out early just to avoid searching for the only vacant subbed after breakfast. Overall, a bit disappointing and would suit families with older children, not smaller ones. No children's cutlery available, all drinks served in glass etc. kids play area is adequate for a break from beach or pool but only snacks on offer are biscuits. I wouldn't go back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles