“Great Hotel Fantastic Service and Brilliant Staff”

Merve Sun Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 49 Speciality Lodging in Side
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel Fantastic Service and Brilliant Staff”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I booked my last minute holiday for myself and my daughter. I was amazed of the price of only £354 for both of us for the week. On arrival to the Merve Sun, I was introduced to the manager whom showed me and my daughter to our room. It was so clean and tidy, but at 3am all i wanted to do was go to sleep, my daughter had other plans been only 10yrs old.
The next day I decided i would just stay around the pool and local shop area. Which we meet some great people here.

The Merve Sun itself was amazing, clean and every staff member was so helpful in any way they can. My daughter often got a free ice cream, fruit cocktails and milkshake when she fluttered her lashes a few times at the staff haha i got nothing just smiles lol.
Dinners was Fab we had every time a turkish bread with mint and yogurt sauce and tomato salsa, the Steaks were AMAZING one of the best i have tasted and the Chicken in Diane was nice too.
The hotel offers its own beach and transport if needed, myself and daughter always walked to the beach and again we would be greeted by friendly staff. The Massage man normally walked with us to the beach and made sure we were always looked after. The guys at the beach will do anything for you, if you need your bed moved and a brolly they will go out of their way to do this for you. There is loads of sports you can do from jet skies to banana boats, unfortunitly i couldn't do much as my 10 yr old had better plans, Beach, Sea , Pool and eat lol but next time I am def going to do ALL and drag my hubby across the seas too.
The night life i dont know much about as I didnt go out much only to our bar at the Merve. But I did hear it was amazing and you will have a fab time.
You must visit Side and the Apollo ruins that is a MUST for sure, we went to the Paradise restaurant and the food was ok but i was shocked when i got mash potatoes with my Shish kebab, but very enjoyable indeed. If you can get a table over looking the sea and you may find yourself watching the local cats catching there meal for the night. There is a few shops i would go to but becarefull, some just like to rip you off big time, stick to your guns n dont let it go. Go to Antique spice house my friend Hakan will look after you but please make sure you go lower than he says also but he normally gives in easily too :D

My personal thoughts of this holiday/ hotel was AMAZING, FAB & I am COMING BACK for sure next yr, i will make sure i do a full 2 weeks and not the 1 in the same Apartments.

Anyone going to the Merve Sun please say a Big Hello from Abbie-lee and her mum we miss them all.

Room Tip: Lower & pool facing
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Montrejewels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I booked this holiday through Thomas cook, for myself and 3 friends, We paid an astonishing £257 each for flights, transfers and accommodation for 2 weeks so my expectations of these apartments was fairly low (I even brought cleaning wipes with me just in case).

Thomas cook were very helpful throughout our stay, I would recommend booking with them. We arrived at Merve Sun Apartments at around 3am and were greeted by the hotel manager who told us all about the hotel and the local area, he even offered us a free cocktail each and took our bags to our apartment. Overall I have to say the service was 10/10. In particular the barman was hilarious and all of the staff were so eager to help and wanted to chat with you.

The apartment was spotlessly clean, we stayed on the 5th floor of one of the apartment blocks, and although it was a lot of flights of stairs and no lift, the view was spectacular, not only could we see the sea from our balcony, we could also see the town, the mountains and we looked down on the two pools. :) lovely.

One tip I will give anyone going his is that the Merve sun supermarket is very small and doesn't stock a lot of cooking sauces, so I'd recommend eating out or taking the dolmus to the local supermarket for about 1.50 - 2 lira. They do however, sell the most amazing fresh loaves of bread for 1 lira each and my friends and I often had ham and cheese sandwiches each lunchtime.

The hotel restaurant serves lovely food, as well as eating here, there are beach bars located on the beach which serve food, there was also Mikals which is next to the hotel and serves lovely food. The best thing about each restaurant is that a lot of the time you received a free large flat bread to tear and dip in mint and yogurt sauce as well as salad prior to your meal.

A couple of the reviews say the pools are small - this is silly!!! one pool is quite small and the other is medium sized, but guests have access to both and thats more than you get in most hotels.

There were a lot of families there whilst we were there, with young children. But for groups of friends there are shops surrounding the hotel strip, there are a few bars and a nightclub further down. But for nights out you can also get the dolmus into antique side where there's a bit more of a nightlife. Although in the hotel they had a Turkish night every Tues and sat, this was amazing, with a selection of Turkish dancers, belly dancers and sometimes another act such as a small acoustic band or a fire breather.

The beach is about 5 minutes walk away, but for those that are less mobile, the hotel offers a coach ride for them to the beach. Merve sun has its own private beach and its beautiful. the whole coastline is picturesque and there are watersports and lots of oppertunities for excursions. - we did the turtle boat trip for 20tl each - we got to drive the speed boat, swim with turtles and see the side ruins :) it was amazing. as well as this we booked excursions through thomas cook these included the Manavgat market cruise - you go on a pirate ship down the manavgat river to a secluded beach, then have lunch on the boat and go to the famous manavgat market, then to the waterfalls which were breathtaking., We also visited Troy aquapark, this was a bit disappointing but my friends and I paid to swim with dolphins which was a wonderful experience.

I cant think of anything else to say other than I would definately go back here, and would reccommend it to any friends thinking of going to turkey. It was absolutely perfect for what we wanted and I enjoyed every minute of my holiday.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank katpd2
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2011

this was a last minute cheap deal after reading the reviews i was prepared for the worse & was plesantly suprised, the apartment was clean & spacious, the maids came & cleaned every day however i did notice that the sheets were not always changed just merely switched around & the staff that work there must be some of the nicest people in Turkey. The merve sun is made up from 5 apt blocks, each block has 5 floors & there are no lifts. we stayed in the 100's which are right above the restaurant on the main road, music is played until 1am but the real noise comes from the road as the cars drive past blasting music at full blast. Safe deposit boxes are 20TL a week & air conditioning is 10TL a day, i suggest you have a look at your room before you pay this because our unit was placed in such a stupid place it would not have been of benefit.
The apts are in a decent location with the dolomus & a taxi rank directly opposite, the beach is about a 10 min walk but there isnt a decent supermarket in walking distance. Thomas Cook promote this as Side..its not....Side is about a 10/15 min dolomus ride, i would like to tell you how much that cost but we were charged something different everytime (1.75 - 2.50TL). I stayed here with a group of friends, for adults that are out & about all day its a great base, but i would not stay here with my family. You choose self catering to save money but the kitchen is not equipped for you to be able to cook anything, we had 2 electric burners (like a camping stove) which took 20 minutes to boil an egg, so unless you want to live on cereal your forced to eat out. There are 2 pools which are small & no real reception or foyer area, every thing is very open so you cant tell who is a guest & who has just wandered in off the street. The restaurant is excellent & the waiters second to none. All in all this is a decent place to stay the Ritz it most definatley is not but if you want that type of accomodation.....pay more money

Room Tip: quiet rooms are at the back ask for 400 or 500's
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tryer69
northeast
Reviewed 1 July 2011

On arrival I was impressed by the welcome the staff gave us ,however when I found we`d been put on the top floor I was`nt so pleased no lift) I had requested 1st floor as I have a medical condition and I couldnt have made it up and down from I think 3 or 4 floors so we were given a tiny room for the night and told we`d be moved the next day.

The following day we were moved to a room on the first floor it was clean but hardly an apartment ,The kitchen units were along 1 wall and a bed seatee chair was there, that filled the room,The bedroom had a bed and single wardrobe 2 bedside tables ,that was all you could fit in, to get to the balcony was possible only by sqeezing past the bed to open the door onto a tiny balcony that looked on to the main st..It was such a tight squeeze my partner remarked people looked sorry for us.We put up with it for 1 night and then I went to reception and complained,the manager was friendly and helpfull but could not move us for 2 days

We were moved to a more modern block and were given a lovely room 1st floor overlooking the childrens play area it was spacious had table and chairs and a seatee plus a lovely size balcony no complaints there.
The staff at the hotel were very nice and friendly were very good with the children staying there,We ate in the restaurant a few times an found it very good.The beach is close by and the sun loungers are free.The two pools are small but seemed to be fine for families with children.

tThe apts are situated in Kumkoy which mainly consists of all inclusive hotels popular with German tourists so because there isnt so much demand the supermarkets are more expensive than in Side ,we used the dolmus a lot to go into Side and spent most nights there ,a lot more choice of restaurants ,the harbour the ruins a lot more going on there,but that was easy for us because we stayed in Side last yearand knew our way around .All in all we engoyed our stay it was just a pity about the rooms at the start of our hols.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the back ,and name what floor
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrispat1
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2011

hi this is a great little hotel very basic but very clean, it has two small pools, a good restaurant very expensive!! but the staff will go out of there way to help you :) and give small children lots of ice cream, reception is great any problems they are sorted out straight away or within 24hrs, we stayed in 501 this is at the rear of the hotel very quiet and backs straight on to the children's play area, the hotel and resort is geared up for Germans/Dutch/Finish not English so it is better to work in Euros, if you go to the main city Manavgat which i highly recommend (No 1 bus 1 euro 20mins), Turkish Lira is there preferred domain, (it is about the size of Leeds and 20/30% cheaper) than your resort and good Turkish food eg: starter/main/drinks for five =£25 and you wont eat it all!!!

Your resort Side (pronounced Seaday) if your into old ruins historical culture this is right up your street it has it all ampietheater restoration projects full of local culture you will love it, please do NOT book your excursions through your reps they are very expensive use your local booking agent and i will recommend one to you BUGRA EASY TANDEM TRAVEL AGENTY SIDE tel:05357211657 name Murat, no word of a lie this guy was SUPERB he knows everything and everyone he will tailor every trip to yours needs and his prices are excellent i compared his prices to 3 other agents and he was by far the best and this is a true fact* thank you Murat

So my tips are, Quiet rooms ask for the rear of the Hotel - tip your cleaning lady as they clean your room every day and get paid peanuts - take a tin opener / cereals / tea towels washing up liquid / salt n pepper / take the No 1 bus for Side and Manavgat every 3 mins untill 1am
any more details mail me [--]

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank tony8355
Gargrave, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Merve Sun Park Apartments for a week at the end of May 2011. First, the hotel is not technically in Side, it's in Carolla. This proved to be a slight problem for the taxi driver when we drove from Antalya Airport. 40 minutes later we finally found it. The exterior of the hotel looks re-done. New paint, new flooring, etc. The room was much bigger then I expected and everything worked and was fairly new, if not brand new. The bed is mostly uncomfortable and the sheets were not soft at all (a big downside after a day at the beach and a reddening body). The staff was super friendly, although they spoke more German than English. The hotel is literally a block from the beach. A quick 3-4 minute stroll down one street and your are in a gorgeous beach. The hotel even has it's own section of the beach with a fabulous restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a back side room facing the mountains
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank armyblues
Dundee
Reviewed 19 May 2011

When we arrived 2am, the TC rep on the coach dropped us off and introduced us to the guy at reception. He booked us in, got the key and scampered upstairs with our two heavy cases. Helpful, pleasant and in the restaurant if we needed assistance. We had requested a top floor apartment and that is what we got. At night with a pongy smell of drains, we wondered where we had landed. In the room we unpacked, no coat hangers and bed not made up grabbed blanket and linen throw out of cupboard and plonked them on the bed. Cup of herbal tea and off to bed. Next day mentioned the ants and the lack hangers ............dealt with promptly. Afterwards, the ants returned but stayed on the verandah, perhaps deterred by the essential oil, dripped by verandah door and kitchen window. It was amazing, view of Taurus mountains (and sheep at night) from back verandah and view from front verandah, to the sea. Traum Tours at the bottom of the road (heading to the beach) was very good value for trips. Cabrio bus through Taurus mountains, Antalya (think 5 euros), this trip I think t inc waterfalls and Capaddocia for 2 nights (only 50 euros each)................wish I had gone up in the balloon. German chap who did was overwhelmed. Don't mention the gold, carpet,leather etc factories. A beautiful location, easy to get dolmus to Side and see the remains of the ancient city, or Manavgat and get all the lovely fruit and veg at the market. Bus to Alanya from Manavgat bus station, worth the trip you can get the bus up the hill to the castle. Ignore the grumpy women opposite the bus in the Tourist Information.(apparently nicer office and staff up the hill). Before you start to get a tan remember to use the Merve Sun Hammam and get a steam , foamy scrub and full body massage. Very cheap 22euros.(Maybe dearer in season).Tip Learn a little Turkish and German

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank K.D.Ttree
Also consider these accommodations in or near Side
Narcia Resort Hotel
Maya World Hotel
Maya World Hotel
#21 of 227 in Side
Side Alegria Hotel & Spa

Been to Merve Sun Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!