“Above and Beyond”

Ali Bey Resort Sorgun
Ranked #7 of 229 Hotels in Side
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Myself and my wife stayed at AliBey with another couple of friends for an all inclusive week in early May.

Upon arrival we were given a warm welcome and a (curious) fruity cocktail. From there on in, everything was thoroughly enjoyable.

Rooms: Perfectly fine, always very clean, re-stocked and available ( a couple of nice touches throughout he week too).

Food: The main restaurant is a help yourself buffet deal, but don't let that put you off. The variety is great and you can be either adventurous or timid, depending on your mood (or, should you be insatiable gluttons like us, both, at the same time, with seconds.)

We also had an evening at the A La Carte restaurant. This was on the black and white gala night so was quieter than normal, but we had an excellent meal; well worth the extra (it was also my birthday and I was well looked after).

Resort: We had rain for a couple of days and throughout this time, the groundstaff were obviously trying as hard as they could to keep standards up. The place is very well kept and the gardens are lovely. Look out for tame cats too...I am a dog man normally, but these were quite endearing little characters.

We also took in a show (the Lion King). While not the West end it was remarkably enjoyable and we stayed until the end.

The staff: This is where AliBey stands out. The staff really cant do enough for you. All seem to be multi-lingual, all are attentive, and on the 2 days that it rained, none went missing but instead were on hand to make sure that everyone was ok and provide entertainment where possible.

The bar and restaurant staff were great and special mention should go to Abdullah, the photographer, who took some fun pictures of us.

A great time had by all. We have come home tanned, refreshed and impressed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank JonathanandSophie

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Travelled as a couple to this hotel for a week starting the 2nd May.

As the reviewer has mentioned below, the Gala night was absolutely fantastic! They hold it every Saturday, and I felt lucky to be a part of it. The food was great with a very wide selection. It was quite similar to what you can get at the buffet, but tripled in variety. We had a lovely waiter for our table who went out of his way to make us feel special and we really didn't have to move an inch.

A good Thank You and a smile certainly goes a long way. We found the service unbelievably good, and having never been to an all inclusive resort before, it was a novelty to be waited on so efficiently. We always made sure to let them know how much we appreciated it, and it made a difference, as we had one waiter bringing us Cocktails as we swam in the pool - he'd notice when we were finished and come over to us as we bobbed about with another two before we even had a chance to think about it!

The room was clean and shiny and has a lovely bathroom. It was cleaned well and although we didn't end up using the mini bar much apart from the water, it was always stocked up well. One downside we found was that the air conditioning didn't work very well - the room was always quite warm which led to some restless sleeping (room 1113).

The all inclusive drinks selection may have been limited, but the cocktails were delicious and my boyfriend enjoyed the beer so we were happy! And you could get a good Gin and Tonic with a cherry in. The wine wasn't great though.

The grounds are beautiful and immaculately maintained. On our last day we were unfortunately part of a tropical storm and it rained heavily pretty much all day - in the breaks from the rain the staff were out in their masses sweeping and cleaning and picking all the leaves from the grass. I felt kind of bad for them seeing as though it would rain again half an hour later and they would have to start all over again.

My main bad point about the hotel itself came from the amount of rain we experienced while we were there - the lack of indoor areas. Apart from the dining room (which you feel a bit uncomfortable sitting in after meal times because there are always staff cleaning and organising around you), there is only the small patisserie and the small Rumi bar (where our amazing favourite waiter was) which got full very quickly. On our last day we were without a room from 12 after checkout and found ourselves a bit lost and cold in the rain.

Other negatives - I tripped down a few stairs one night and sprained my ankle. It was quite late and everything seemed to escalate very quickly! I thought there would be a doctor on site who would just give me a bandage and some ice and I could hobble back to my room, but there was no doctor after hours, so they called an ambulance driven by a man who clearly wasn't a doctor and tried to get me to go to hospital, which I really didn't want to do in abroad given the obvious charges. I had management all standing around me and it was a bit intimidating - although when we got back to our room the lovely staff gave me some ice and I bought my own bandage the next day and everything was fine. Just be aware the doctor only works from 9-6!!

Overall though this hotel is stunning, and the staff wonderful.

We went on a few excursions which took you through the hotel districts, and I have to say I felt pretty special staying in the Ali Bey compared to the other which were in Side - I was considering staying at the Barut Hemera as it also got great reviews on here, but I am so glad that we didn't!!

Side itself - I wouldn't return. There's not much to do out of the resort itself. The walk into the town along the beach isn't great, and the ruins also weren't what I was expecting them to be from reading comments on Tripadvisor. BUT Ali Bey was a gem, and I have never felt so spoilt.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank paperboats87
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Alibey is a wonderful resort.

We travelled as a couple and stayed for 1 week in May.

The jewel in the crown is the gala night. This takes an army of staff all day to set up. The attention to detail is fantastic as is the waiter service for this open air feast. Please take black and white clothing as this is the theme.

The water park is also a major asset. Like everything else at Alibey spotlessly clean. The waterslides are very good. There is a lovely childrens area with slides and even a mini beach. The aqua park is self contained as it has a restaurant and bar. There is a shuttle service to transport guests from the beach to the aqua park, although it is only a 5 minute stroll. Like most of the facilities at Alibey the water slides close for 2 hours during the day.

There are a good selection of main pool areas, including a heated pool, all with enough sun loungers and umbrellas.

Alibey has a good beach. Unlike some of the nearby resorts it does not have pebbles on the beach or seaweed washing up on the sand.

The rooms are to a high standard. Large comfortable bed, lovely marble flooring and a surprisingly good jacuzzi bath. As other guests have mentioned the balcony is too small. The mini bar is stocked daily by the maid.

The main restaurant is very good. It is not outstanding. The waiters are good they remember your favorite table and drinks. It is quieter upstairs and has a slightly nicer environment.

The patisserie is also a major asset to the resort. It remains open from lunch until 23:00 and provides great snacks and cakes. The staff here are particularly friendly.

The gym is very good. The cardio equipment is better than at other 5 star hotels I have been to. Unfortunately there is a fee, 39 euros for 1 week or 49 euros for longer. I tried to 'warm down' on the power plate one day but was told I would have to pay extra! The gym also closes for 2 hours during the day.

We used the spa on our leaving day and enjoyed the circuit. If, like us, you have a late flight home you need the facilities to freshen up and change. There is no fee for this.

There is a two tier all inclusive system at Alibey. Alibey's competitors do not use this system and they charge less than Alibey. There is a poor choice of locally produced drinks available. This is in line with a 3 star all inclusive hotel and does not come close to reaching 5 star standards.

Be aware that a majority of the ground floor rooms will have limited sunlight and will be without a view. This is due to large shrubs growing, probably planted for privacy reasons, but now overgrown.

The general atmosphere at the resort was friendly and relaxed with other guests and staff.

We did not have any major communication issues.

Feel free to message me if I have missed something or you have a question.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms may have no sun or view due to surrounding foliage.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank niceguyeddie29
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed in a family suite last week with 2 children. This is a perfect hotel close to Side (20 minutes walk on the beach).

* Great food
* Heated pool
* Fantastic children's club (Mima Club (the best ever))
* Very, very spacious room (pick the family suite if possible)
* Super clean

* Language issues, although I speak Dutch, French, German and English we still had some communication issues in the restaurants & hairdresser & security ...
* Minor safety issues; some trees are surrounded by big holes (quite dangerous for small kids)
* Room service should be included for suites

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank joschel
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We (2 adults, one 9yr old) stayed at Ali Bey for 1 week in July 2013, the place is fantastic, the rooms are very spacious and beautifully done. The food is amazing, the choice and the presentation is outstanding, the desserts you just can't get enough of. The surroundings were very clean and well kept. We spent most of our time at the Aqua Park, which our 9yr old thoroughly enjoyed, while we enjoyed the cocktails. The beach was beautiful. We found all staff very polite and courtious. The night time shows are brilliant, although not all in English but we really enjoyed the ones that were. The only down side was that there was no childrens buffet in 2013, and we all know how fussy kids are! BUT for 2014 they are putting a childrens buffet in the main restaurent. Yippee. Can't say enough about Ali Bey, would definately recommend it, hence we are returning again in June 2014 and we never go to the same place twice, enough said!!!
(P.S take bigger clothes for the way home, you'll need them)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank caza40
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the resort in septemebr 2013 we both thought it was perfect! the food and drink where great there was always somthing new to try along with the normal favorites.The staff where always helpful and attentive.
Our Room was gorgous very clean and always restocked with drinks and snacks.
In my opinion the resort had thought of everything and more I really enjoyed my stay I would defiantly recommend the resort 10 out of 10!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ninkin21
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Well better late than never... This review dates from our stay as a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 2 kids, aged 6 and 8) for 2 weeks at the end of June, beginning of July 2013. First of all, this is an absolutely amazing resort, sooo beautiful and luxurious !! Pure class !! Everything from arrival to departure was outstanding!
Check-in : was very smooth and quick and efficient, we were offered a glass of bubbly which is always a great welcome after travelling 4 hours on a plane and 50 min in a taxi. We were also graciously offered an upgrade which was greatly appreciated. Thanks to Willy !!
Rooms : one word : STUNNING !! 10 mins after being brought to our room by golf buggy we were welcomed by a bottle of champagne and a platter of fresh fruit !
Pools : great !! fantastic slides for young and old under the ever watchfull eyes of 2 lifeguards. Waiters coming around to bring you drinks and everyday at around 14h iced-scented towels were brought to you at the pool to cool you down. This was definitely a big favourite with the guests!
Food : awesome !! and a disaster for your waistline !! themed nights, lots of variety, loads of fresh fruits and salads, fresh grilled fish, etc.... Fresh sushi made everyday in front of you.
Kids animation : very nice accomodation for the kids club and very friendly staff, they had fun activities and the staff seemed very keen on the job. However, eventhough our kids are bilingual ( Enlish - Dutch) and have a fair knowledge of French, there were communications problems. Which is the only smallest negative in this resort, overall understanding of English is quite limited, same with French, most used languages seemed to be German and Turkish. It was a pity however, because the staff really bent over backwards to help you and you could see all the willingness in the world but not able to communicate, what a shame !! Still this is only the slightest remark on the hotel.
Shows : very very high quality with shows that were also geared towards the children : the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Michael Jackson show, Tarzan, etc...
Overall : a really high class resort with care for every detail, also very kids orientated so an absolute must for families. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody and would love to go back again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family