“The best family holiday ever, just perfect”
Review of Barut Arum

Barut Arum
Ranked #5 of 227 Hotels in Side
“The best family holiday ever, just perfect”
Reviewed 17 April 2012 via mobile

We spent 11 nights here during the Easter holidays 2012 and it didn't disappoint. in fact, the holiday exceeded our expectations. It was perfect in every way.

Being 5 of us we found our choices of hotels limited and the Arum was the best fit we could find when we booked. We had a 2 bedroom residence for 5 of us. the size and quality was excellent and room service was second to none and very friendly. There was even a tea man topping up our tea and coffee supplies daily :-)

The buffet food had a wow factor. Our girls aren't over adventurous being young but they always found something to eat and never went hungry. For us adults the choice was great and such a treat to eat lovely food and not have to prepare it or tidy up. The waiters were friendly but not over-so.

The hotel and grounds were very well kept. The location right on the beach was fab, with the weather as it was we spent lots of time building sandcastles and paddling....bit cold for swimming.

All in all this was just a fantastic holiday. We cannot recommend it highly enough and are looking to go back next year. My parents went with us, late 60's and they would love to go back too which just reinforces what we have said in this review!

Stayed April 2012
15 Thank Andrea P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

On arrival at the Barut Hotel, I was happy with the appearance of the exterior. The lobby is large, open and spacious with nice furniture in place for a coffee. The room we were given, 421, was on the fourth floor but outside which was a really nice touch. The room itself was spacious; the bathroom fantastic - with a massive power shower cubicle. We had a view overlooking mountains which was lovely to wake up to.
The TV channels mostly cater for German guests, as did the food in the restaurant to be quite honest. The hotel was overrun with German guests as was Side, the resort centre. The locals spoke to us straight away in German before switching to English. This was the case in the hotel as well, which was slightly irritating.
However, on a positive, I have to say the spa treatments within the hotel are second to none and are quite reasonable price-wise. When you go, a turkish bath is a must! The spa is so relaxing and tranquil that even the workaholics amongst you will find it difficult not to relax. They can be quite pushy to get you to rebook treatments so be prepared to say no, if you don't want further treatments.
One thing I will say however, is the resort Side is quite well... Seedy. There was a nice theatre which was only 10 TL to enter, which was definitely worthwhile. However, the restaurant owners were pushy and would try and pull you in from the street. I wasn't impressed with the quality of food or the prices - I thought the Lira was meant to be cheap! The shops sold similar products to one another and the harbour area was dead.
If you're looking for a cheap week away at a beachfront hotel on half-board or all inclusive with little expectations from the resort then this is the place for you. The food is basic and repetitive but we kind of expected that anyway. We were on Half-Board and found the prices to be expensive for drinks and lunch. The evening entertainment was varied and the cocktail lounge was lovely.
Overall a good trip. Lovely hotel but I wouldn't return to Side.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank kimberley90
London
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel last August 2011 after a very good deal was offered by Cooperative travel last minute. I travelled with my son (12 at the time). I felt safe as a single parent travelling around.

Stayed half-board - All Inc wasn't on offer to us at time of booking...

Staff - lovely, accommodating

Food - lots of choice (wide range for even the fussiest of eaters)

Grounds ~ incredibly clean, well maintained

Getting Around ~ easy enough - taxi everywhere, although alot of people use the dolmus- bus (too over crowded for my liking!).

Room ~ plenty of space, well stocked fridge, cleaned everyday

Shopping ~ very pleased with my goods

Evening entertainment ~ questionable!

Apparently, not usually many brits stay at this hotel, however Aug 2011 there were quite a few who had returned from the previous year....

Time to plan the return.....not going this year I'm afraid booked to go to Florida, so maybe next!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank chuckles_71
chelmsford, england
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This is a very nice self contained Hotel with excellent pool and gardens right on the beachfront. We were very fortunate and got one of the stunning new top floor rooms with a fantastic sea view and a massive terrace. Our friends were on a lower floor in a more modest room with a standard size balcony which was OK and is what most people will get. We did not pay extra, we were just very lucky! If you can request one of these rooms or pay a small premium for it, it is definitely worth it.
Food is self service and excellent quality, loads of choice and you can eat as much as you like. There is also a nice beach bar restaurant which does traditional turkish snacks at lunchtime. Pool is large with a decent flume ride, only crticism is that the pool is shallow and you can't dive in.
The beach is massive and goes all the way to Side Town and though the water is not as clear as we expected there are loads of watersports, the beachfront immediately outside the hotel is ok but not stunning.
Side as a town is a bustling mixture of tourist shops and monuments with a nice harbour and loads of restaurants to choose from, it is walkable from the hotel along the beach but will take around 35 mins. For those who don't want a long walk or a taxi ride this is not the best choice of Hotel.

The area outside the hotel inland is not inspiring as it is along the main road but there are plenty of bars and convenience shops. Service was excellent.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room if you can.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank MarkandBJ
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Ok, the Hotel is nice - the majority of the staff are very nice. Call me a snob if you like but all my difficulties arose with the guests. I have rarely encountered guests (Germans) who are as rude, dissmissive and dare I say it, threatening! I'm Irish and I thought I could get along with anyone - well nobody is perfect, and lets say me and the Germans didn't swap addresses.

The hotel looks great, the grounds are imaculately manicured and the Barut Arum is located on a very long sandy beach with plenty of privately owned watersports facilities; ie Windsurfing, jet boating, jet boating and jet boating. So if you like Jet boating you're gonna love this place. Swimmers are corralled in a safe area, however the sea bed is not sandy, its rocky and slippery so be very careful - lots of people slip and fall getting in and out of the water. Water clarity was not great, most of the sea bed is dead - So, I did not enjoy the snorkling. I'm keen on a bit of beach activity: like walking, swimming, reading, surfing etc. I found out the hotel ran organised beach activities like boules and volleyball - but I couldn't figure out how to join - I guess if I was German I might have figured this out.

I spent all my time at the beach. It seemed that the sterotype of Germans marking their poolside territory with towels at 6am is alive and well and it goes completely unchecked by the hotel staff, dispite the many signs explaining that this practice is prohibited. The massive pool is mobbed with kids. I don't have any, so the poolside would have been kinda noisy anyway.

The German bias did annoy me for the first four days - then I learnt to rise above it and I lived on the beach - the hotel provides free beach towels, sunbeds and sun umberellas that can be tricky to open and require some coaxing - TIP: dont pull the rope to open gently lift up two or three of the canopy supports to start, then use the rope... if you do go to the Barut, you'll know what I mean.
I went in July and it was HOT! surprisingly HOT, I even got burnt under the umbrella with factor 30 on, so be warned. The only drawback of the beach was the neighbouring hotel blasting out music during its pool games, which lasted for two hours each morning.
The Bar staff will deliver drinks to your sunbed - the hotel runs a card system that opens your room, and you can use for a charge card at all the bars and restaurants so you dont have to carry money around at the hotel.

There are four restaurants to eat at: The serve yourself (we called it "Bedlam"), the Fish Restaurant, the International Restaurant and the Turkish Restaurant. The food was mostly hit and miss - I didn't eat in the International place but I would recommend the Turkish Restaurant - Superb - You should book early! I tried a few turkish places in Side but they didn't come close.

I found the experience of staying at the Barut Arum very restrictive - I found the restaurant Manager to be very particular about evening wear - I wore some black knee length beach shorts and leather flip flops and I was told they were innappropriate - I objected and pointed to a German guest who was wearing a sparkly boob tube, very small gold hot pants and flip flops - the Managers reply was "but she is a woman" - I walked away cursing him with every Irish insult I could muster - I'm pretty sure he didn't speak Irish but I think he got the point.

All in all it's a lovely place - I would never normally go on a package holiday - and I'm certain I will never return to the Barut Arum. I'm a surfer and I enjoy fending for myself, discovering the unexpected and sleeping where ever I find reasonable accommodation. So please bear this in mind when you read this review.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Pete M
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

This hotel stands out along the Side beachfront allthough not as stunning as one or two others along the promenade. The Food, Service and overall helpfull attitude of the staff was outstanding. Even the weather gave 10 good days out of 14.
Travel was arranged through Thomas Cook and was well handled. The Hotel representative Dan was a charming and efficient young man and took a personal care with all his clients.
The entertainment was acceptable but not memorable with the entertainers using 'canned' music and background effects.
The UK contingent represented about 5.00% of the guests but as the atmosphere was happy and contented good conversations were had and friends made.
The EU guests were on very favourable 'All-inclusive' prices which were not available in the UK. Suggest that the vouchers for the extra restaurants in the hotel are used as they are very good value.
The November month comprised guests in the age range of over 50 and many were regular visitors every year.
A good hotel and will visit there in 2012.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Just back from a week at arum.
Weather not great to be honest - 2 days of rain but the middle of nov.
Good hotel - very clean - well organised - very good food - english very much in the minority.
We had a room out of the main hotel. Double with an extra room with twin beds. Very clean but only a shower - no bath.
Air con worked fantastically.

Room Tip: Sea view high up or one of the rooms outwith the main building
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple