“It was ok but we won't be back” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Barut Acanthus & Cennet
Ranked #7 of 228 Hotels in Side
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“It was ok but we won't be back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

Let's start with:
1) Room. Adequate and clean; air con that worked well and TV with a couple of channels in English. Balcony was disappointing, not the sort to sit out on with a glass ot wine at night; the view was a wall! Bed linen changed daily even if it didn't need it. Free safe in room. 7 out of 10
2) Food. Buffet style breakfast and evening meal. Lots of choice and looked great until you started to get fed up of the same old same old taste and flavour. Actually the food was too bland. Every evening there was some BBQ'd food which was always the most tasty part of the meal. 7 out of 10
3) Service. Waiters and cleaners very friendly and helpful, though always spoke in German first. Reception staff, polite but unhelpful on final days when trying to arrange a room for a late checkout (because of flight times). 18 hours hanging around without a room to change and clean in is not a great way to end your holiday. 5 out of 10
4) Pool. Very small for the size of hotel, but clean and refreshing with pool bar. 8 out of 10
5) Beach. Just a step out of the hotel; they keep it very clean and tidy and have plenty of beds with umbrellas at not cost bar a mattress. Waiter service on beach would have been nice but 9 out of 10.
6) Entertainment......didn't watch much but was told it wasn't bad......friends scored it 7 out of 10.
7) Animation Team...there was one but very poor. Every night the mini disco played the same music in the same order and the Animation Team looked so bored doing it that Im sure the kids nust have noticed. Other joys were volleyball, darts and air gun shooting which was mainly only the Animation Team doing it. 2 out of 10.
8) Side itself is a bustling little town about 1mile away....great at night 8 out of 10.

Room Tip: To get the best room be Turkish with an attitude........the staff don't appear to love their fel...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smeetod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2010

We found our stay great value and loved the setting on the beach. Swimming was very safe and would have been great for children.

We actually enjoyed sitting with other people at the meals although the fact that I speak German was definitely an advantage! People were very friendly and the meals were very relaxed with a good choice of food and free wine or soft drinks. We had no problem getting sunbeds.

Side is a tourist trap but has a wonderful little museum amid the Roman ruins with hens running about its garden. Sunset at the ruins is quite spectacular. It is a good base for visiting Antalya with its beautiful old town and harbour and Aspendos with its stunning amphitheatre.

1 Thank EvaUedorf
Shoeburyness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

Staff friendliness,cleanliness,position,peacefulness all more than a 3* allocation,BUT I love my food and this did not come up to my standard.It was lukewarm (yes I know meddiaeteraenen peoplle like it that way bit I don't)My party like to eat at 8pm,not early, but there were no main starters left then,only salad.Sweets? I wish if I liked baby food ie mousse creme caramel etc.Dinner was meant to be untill 9.30 but you would have no chance.It is such a shame.A lovely setting.lovely staff but aimed at the Germans who we really got on with.Room cleanliness was the best.Air con the worst .

2 Thank Reddy3641
nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

My wife & Ihave just returned from Side in Turkey, the room 704 was
spotless,cleaned each day &towels changed. It was very quite at night.
The food was good,breakfast mostly cheese meat crossaints.plus omelletes, dont expect a full English! Evening meal was mosty grilled meat or fish salads pasta and plenty of desserts. Wine came free, tip the waiterand it could be 3 glasses!! A table is allocated to you for the duration of your stay.
The only downside at the hotel was you couldn,t get a bed on the hotel beach due to our old friends the Germans putting towels on the beds about 5 am.
On the cultural side a trip to Perge and Aspendos is a must,Roman city remains&ampitheatre.
On a more serious note as you enter Antalya Airport you and your luggage are scanned straightaway, then onto passport control,up the
escalater to departures, where there are side rooms to sit in before boarding the plane. If you buy water £2 a bottle or drinks,these will be taken off you, you and your hand luggage are scanned again before boarding.If you buy duty free spirits these are sealedin a secure bagso this isn,t a problem. Once through this second scanner you could wait an hour or more with no access to toilets or drinks. Don,t rush in like we did. Finally " SIDE is a marvellous place the weather was good and the people were Friendly and helpful

4 Thank jimbobNottingham
manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

Stayed at the Cennet for 2 weeks with Aunt & Uncle. First room was awful 7011 single room at best. Moved the following Wednesday to first floor much better rooms and larger.

Staff in restuarant were the best ever. Waiters couldn't be more helpful, filling glass and coffee cups, and very friendly.

Animation team could have tried harder with the English, thousands of words for Germans etc may be two or three for the English. The head of the entertainment team never ever took off his sunglasses off the top of his head looked rather stupid especially when it was dark.

Would definitely recommend this hotel but not really for children, over 40's probably because of the elderly Germans, though we did meet an excellent couple Klaus & Bettie

Would go again

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank happydroylsden
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

I just returned form a two week holiday in Side and stayed at the Acanthus. I am in mid thirties and went with my girlfriend.

Firstly I must point out that this was a relatively cheap holiday so my expectations were not as high as they would have been ordinarily but all future visitors should know that this is simply not a four star hotel, as they claim.

We arrived very late (about 3am) and were dealt with a "nightwatchman" type at reception who clearly did not speak English to any standard as my very simple questions of him upon arrival where met with a blank stare and ignored. I decised to wait until morning to ask about the hotel rather than soldier on with the uncomprehending chap in front of me.

We were shown to a room which was very small and oddly shaped and had a view over the car park and goods loading entrance. This was totally unacceptable for a hotel of any kind of standard. Needless to say the unloading of pallets of food and drink at 8.30am the next morning was unwelcome to say the least, particulary as it sounded like these Turkish delivery men where in the room.

I spoke to reception in the morning and told them that this was not acceptable and asked to change rooms. Luckily the day staff are much better and where pretty accomadating and eventaully we were able to change to a better room overlooking some grass and with a (very) partial sea view. I should stress that this was not a great room but was much better than the first that we were allocated.

We were one of the lucky one's though as there were a considerable stream of people complaining about there rooms pretty much everytime I passed reception and the vast majority of people where not able to change their rooms as they were told the hotel was fully booked.

Now I am no leisure industry expert and am not in the business of hotel design but even I can work out that if you build a hotel for these type of holiday, people are not going to be happy if they are overlooking a car park and are woken up by the incessant jabbering of delivery men, hotel employees, etc early in the morning.

If I had not been able to change my room my review of this hotel would have been considerably more scathing.

As others have pointed out this hotel seems to aimed at German retirees as the vast majority of guests are Germans over 60. This was not an issue for me as I wanted a quiet break but if you are looking for a lively hotel with a lot going on or have children and are hoping for a kids club and that sort of thing this is not the place for you.

The hotel has a nice (if small) section of private beach. However I am afraid to say that the old cliche of Germans putting beach towels down on sun loungers at the crack of dawn was demonstrated in all its glory. Everyday we went to to the beach EVERY SINGLE sun lounger had a towel on it (although very few actual people where sitting on them). I can only assume that our elderly Teutonic fellow guests where living up to their reputations. This meant that we used the public beach next to it which always had free sun loungers. This was not really a problem as you could hire the sun loungers for about the equivalent £1.50 a day. However it was annoying to see people putting towels on sun loungers that they were not even using.

Also the hotel provides you with beach towels but charges you for replacing the beach towels on a daily basis (about teh equivalent of £1.50). I don't know about anybody else but I have never come across such a thing and found it a very petty and cyncical attempt to drag a few extra quid out of its guests.

Also the cleaning staff seemed loathe to replace shampoo and shower gel and I had to resort to going to reception to collect refills and leaving notes for the cleaning staff to replace this stuff. Again I have never come across cleaing staff not repalcing obviously empty bottles of shampoo. I suspect that the hotel management had instructed the cleaners not to replace these unless specifcally asked in order to save a few pennies. Otheriwse the cleaners were fine and did a good job.

Another very wierd thing about the hotel is its seating policy for meals. I know that others have already remarked on this but basically the surly head waiter, who appears to be allergic to politeness, allocates you a table and you CANNOT move to another table for the rest of your stay. We were sat on a table with a German couple who were perfectly pleasant and civil, but the fact remains I would have liked to have had dinner at a table with my girlfriend and not with my girlfriend and two strangers. I cannot understand why the hotel does this and it seems designed as a rule for sake of having a rule rather than to serve any practical purpose.

My questions as to why we could not sit on a table for two (of which there were many available) where met with the nonsensical reply of "but that is not your table". Flabbergasted!

Lets just say the surly waiters do not like having their authority questioned.

The food is okay but very little Turkish food was on offer and whilst the food ingredients are of a decent quality they do tend to err on the side of bland in thier preparation. I suppose that is what the majority of their guest seem to want and appreciate but it was a little disappointing considering the flair and quality of spices and flavours usually used in Turkish cooking.

In short the hotel is fine but has a number of annoying rules that in themselves are not big issues but do start to annoy you after a while.

Also I cannot stress enough the quality of your experience will be enormously determined by your room allocation. Get one of hte many rooms overlooking a functional part of the hotel and, I'm afraid, it game over unless you can change.

All in all a decent hotel and worth it if you can get a good cheap price but otherwise I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank THECH0SEN1
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

We arrived april 28th for our two week holiday! The room was not as we thought but clean and suited our needs . This hotel and location was perfect!! The staff was friendly and helpful and we made some friends along the way!! The food was excellent with time taken for display "loved the desserts" spotless clean a well run hotel There is a 30min walk to the main centre amph theatre sights market shops etc. temple at sun set is a must !! All in all a wonderful holiday though i wish i could have spoke more turkish and also german as neighbouring holiday makers (german) ? just waved and smiled. We plan to go again the same time next year!! See you again!! ~:} x "sherefeh"

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple