“Great for kids, good for adults”
Review of Barut Hemera

Barut Hemera
Ranked #6 of 228 Hotels in Side
Sunningdale
“Great for kids, good for adults”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed at Barut Hemera for one week with our two kids aged 5 and 8. The hotel was clean, the rooms comfortable and the staff very friendly and relaxed. They loved engaging the kids. The pool was on the cool side but lovely. We booked through Thompson which turned out to be just fine. The waterslides were great.

Rooms -- after booking two rooms, I emailed the hotel and asked for interconnecting rooms. I was told they didn't have them so we took two rooms next to each other. Upon checking in, they had a note in the booking and we were told they DID have an interconnecting room for us. Not sure if this was a hotel miscommunication or a Thompson issue but I was happy to have it resolved in our favor. The room had no view but I was so happy it was interconnecting, I carried on just fine. The room was nice, clean, comfortable but fairly simple. Bathrooms were small and nice but far from luxurious. We were given free bottled water and juices in the room daily. Cleaning staff was excellent.

Food -- the buffet was varied enough to suffice for most meals. The ambience is nice outside, stifling inside. Some of the items were very nice -- cheeses, pickles, vegetables. The salads with lentils and cheese and things were excellent. We dined at all 3 a la carte restaurants and enjoyed great service at all times. As for the food, while the flavors were ok, the quality of the ingredients was low -- as you might expect from an all-inclusive. The calamari was rubbery, the fillet steak very fatty, the cuts of meat generally lower-end (salmon steak, not fillet for example). I ordered a baked fish dish which mentioned mushrooms and there were no mushrooms to be found. We enjoyed the Turkish restaurant the most and the International Restaurant the least. I was disappointed in restaurant options outside the hotel. Having been to Istanbul, I had visions of excellent Turkish food.

Kids Club -- all around good here. The kids enjoyed it and actually wanted to go on most days. The garden just outside had a trampoline and small play area. Overall, I would say it is great for the 4-7 age group. Any older and they get bored. Our 8 year old enjoyed the football games, pillow fights and darts but otherwise spent his time watching TV. I am sure they offer more activities in the high season. Opening hours were 10-12:30 and 2:30-5:00. Somewhere I read it was open much later. Mini-club in the evening is a fun but a bit tedious after 5 days. I wish they would open the waterslides an hour before the Kids Club opens (it is only open during in the morning and afternoon).

Entertainment -- was overall pretty good if a bit silly. Be careful about getting involved unless you really like to be out there! Darts was fun once or twice. Grease was entertaining, couples night was embarassing. Magic man was enjoyable.

Massages -- my husband and I enjoyed a couples massage. We could have paid half if we'd venturd outside the hotel but that was too much of an unknown for us. Be prepared for the turkish scrub and wear your bikini!

Overall -- For me, Barut Hemera is certainly not a 5-star experience but an excellent value. If I return to Side, I would happliy stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank artcaro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We have never been to Turkey, but having stated at this hotel, can honestly say it was fabulous. Staff very welcoming, and nothing is too much trouble for them. Would definately go again. Found the Turkish humour much like ours. Food fab, rooms cleaned daily. Only comment is pool, although kept immaculatly clean is very, very cold, so if you dont like swimming in the warm sea be prepared for a bit of shock when getting in. All in all loved it. Thanks to all the staff especially our head waiter who couldnt do enough for us.

Room Tip: Take warmer clothes for the evening if travelling this time of year, can get very chilly.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn V
exeter devon
Reviewed 23 October 2011

great hotel every thing was first class great food lovely clean rooms beautiful pool all kept very clean. lovely walk into side takes about 45 minutes along the walkway. staff all very helpful if you like a cup of tea like me in the morning in your room ask at the bar for a glass of milk and take to your room and keep in fridge , which is restocked every day with water and fruit juice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank janetExeterDevon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

been to turkey several times but this is the best hotel we have ever stayed in the only fault was it was a bit to far to walk to side but hotel its self cant complain about anything everything was fantastic

Room Tip: we stayed in room 4210 and we never heard a thing and im a light sleeper
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lawrance62
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I was quite nervous before our holiday here as I have never travelled to Turkey before but I have never enjoyed a holiday so much , my husband, my 3 year old and I loved it so much so that we have booked the Hemera again for next year and we have only been back 3 weeks ! It is a fantastic place. From the moment you arrive you are made so welcome , every one is friendly and helpful. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the food is fantastic. Side itself is a pleasant 25 minute walk away and is well worth a visit. If you are going to Side forget all the fancy high rise hotels, stay here and you will not be dissapointed .

Room Tip: I would personally recommend a pool view as the hotel it not that high and I don't think you wou...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ZaladG
SCOTLAND
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Just spent 2 weeks holiday at this resort for 3rd year running and again we had a brilliant time. We have 2 boys aged 17 and 8 and they both love it as there is always something for them to do. All staff really pleasant and helpful but it has to be said that the entertainment team really work hard and make sure that they involve all guests. Our youngest son enjoyed mini club with Victoria and he had so much fun with the rest of the team that he was made to feel part of the them , nothing was too much for them they even gave him his own team name.Would recommend joining in with darts as it helps you to meet other guests and such a laugh thanks to Omer and Hugo. Night time shows performed and arranged with team are superb.

Room Tip: Do not recommend front view rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2011

okay i'm biased.ive been to the hemera 4 times before,so i knew what to expect.clean rooms,good and plentifull choice of food,friendly staff etc.this year they'v added a new sandwich bar at the side of the pool,which now gives an extra choice of where to eat lunch time.ie restaurant,pool bar or beach bar,the entertainment team have always been good,this year theyre even better,they even got me up dancing round the pool in the afternoon.i know it is a bit more expensive than other hotels but it is worth every penny.one tip for the ladies from my wife is take elasticated waisted trousers as you will put a bit of extra weight on,
would i recommend it?deffinately,ive already booked for 2 weeks again in september 2012

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple