“Out of this world!”
Review of Barut Hemera

Barut Hemera
Ranked #5 of 229 Hotels in Side
Reviewed 27 June 2009

As someone has commented below, this is the first review I've ever posted on Trip Advisor - it would have been a sin not to comment on this absolutely amazing resort!!

We upgraded to the Hemera on the first day of our two week holiday after being disappointed with the half board hotel we had originally booked in the area. The Hemera has apparently been voted Number 1 resort in the world by Thomson and you can see why. The difference between the original hotel we had stayed in (which was apparently a 4 star) and the Hemera was immediately obvious. Reception and guest relations were more than welcoming, speaking excellent English (which is rare in Turkey where German seems to be their second language) and offering us drinks at the bar and even lunch while we waited for them to sort out our last minute booking which we'd only made an hour before! We were given a fantastic room with a view of the pool. The room was modern and clean with a huge bed and walk in shower.

The hotel is an all inclusive but the extra money is worth every penny. The food is endlesss - all you can eat breakfast with everything imaginable; for lunch a choice of all you can eat buffet from the main restaurant or "snacks" from the beach bar which still had a huge variety from fast food to salad and pasta, to bbqs or fajitas! And if you're still hungry before dinner, you can get cakes and ice cream from the hotel patisserie! Dinner is served in the main restaurant - again buffet style all you can eat - with every type of cuisine you could wish for. The presentation is immaculate and hygiene seems to be high on their agenda.

There is also an option to book into one (or all three!) of the hotel's three a la carte restaurants - International, Turkish or Fish themed. The food here is also included in the price with table service rather than buffet style. We ate in the Turkish and Fish restaurant during our stay. The Turkish restaurant has a meze theme so be prepared for several courses! The fish restaurant seemed less popular (perhaps because it's more hidden away) but a great choice of fresh fish.

Every kind of drink you can imagine is included in the package from any of the hotel's 4 bars - cocktails, beers, wine, spirits, coffee, tea etc. And your room mini bar is topped up every day with soft drinks which is a nice touch.

I can't praise the hotel staff enough. The "Animation Team" who organise the daytime activities were all so enthusiastic and hard working, and each with their own unique personalities. You can't help but get to know them. Bayram and Sachuk were particularly friendly to us on our stay - and I didn't even take part in any of the activities!! - preferring simply to laze around on the beach. My partner however enjoyed the volleyball, beach football and water polo. I was tempted by the belly dancing lessons but decided having eaten my own body weight in food each day it wouldn't have been the prettyest sight!

There were always enough waiters and bar staff to keep the food and drink flowing and some other great characters to look out for - Mehmet who headed up the waiters in the main buffet restaurant and Murat who always made sure you were having a good time and had everything you needed.

Amber in Guest Relations was also extremely friendly and helpful, particularly when we needed additional information about Side itself. We'd wanted to eat in Side one night and Amber arranged a perfect table for us in a classy fish restaurant right on the harbour. She'd even organised for the restaurant to come and pick us up from the hotel!

Turkey, being famous for its spas do have a many local options for this type of thing. We opted to use the hotel facilities for a scrub and massage treatment. I believe the hotel was twice as expensive as the local spas which offered similar treatments but we went for this option as we trusted the hotel facilities and wanted to just be able to walk back to our room afterwards. The package we went for was about £40 each which is still a bargain compared to UK prices. However, I understand the local spas are just as good and a lot cheaper.

During our stay at the Hemera, we had a little walk along the beach to see what the other hotels looked like. I can honestly say the ones we saw were not a patch on the Hemera in terms of facilities and location.

We're told the only down side to this hotel is that it's so popular, people tend to book a year in advance to guarantee a room. We were obviously very lucky in that respect.

My partner and I are not easily pleased when it comes to holidays and hotels but we can honestly say this is the best holiday and hotel we have ever experienced. We ended up paying more than we had intended, having upgraded to a 5* all-inclusive resort but it was the best decision we could have made. Turkey itself seems to be quite expensive and so we would definitely have spent more than the extra investment on food and drink during our stay.

4  Thank xina1981

Reviewed 20 June 2009

We Stayed at the Hemera from 9th-16th June and it was fantastic!! We have read the reviews on here and didnt think it could posibly be as good as everyone says but when we got to reception on the 1st night we knew from the off that it IS as good as everyone says if not better!! even though it was 12:30AM when we got there there were staff ready to take our suitcases and show us to our room.. which was lovely the bed was so comfortable the bathroom was very modern with a spacious shower. We had a balcony overlooking the relaxation pool and childrens pool it was such a nice view we could also see the sea from our balcony which was nice.

The Staff were really efficient at eating times they would be straight at your table asking what you would like to drink and as soon as you finish the food they take your plate away ready for your next plate of food. speaking of the food it was absolutley devine!! on our first evening meal there were meatballs and they were the best meatballs we have ever tasted we recommend them to everyone reading this review! and on our last night there was chicken kebab on the menu and that was soooo nice!! Nicest kebab we have ever tasted!! oh and the desserts were the best we have ever seen the presentation was amazing each dessert looked like lots of time and effort was taken to make it! oh and there were loads of carved watermelons on show and they were fantastic we couldnt believe how anyone could do that with a melon!!

The gardeners and cleaners were spot on too every morning the gardeners would be out cutting the grass trimming the flowers watering the grass no matter how hot it was! and our cleaner (Hatice) was brilliant everyday the room was left spotless and the fridge re-stocked and if we came back before she was finished she would do the rest when we were out of the room next! we left her a tip when we left she was that good!!

The Animation team were great too! Hakan who was only in his second week tried really hard to speak English when speaking to us and he was so friendly and Byrom.. you could tell he has been there for a number of years he was very confident when speaking with the guests! only thing we can say is that the females of the animation team didnt get as envolved with everyone as the men did. We loved the dancing on the evening entertainment but the comedy wasn't that good because it mainly catered for german people which was fair enough i mean more than 70% of the guests were german and i expect that they have got to cater for the majority which is fine by me.

Overall the hotel is brilliant and it is deffinatly 5 star we would give it 10 stars if the stars went that high! we strongly recommend that everyone goes to this hotel if they want a week of luxury! We are going back next year but for 2 weeks!! :-)

4  Thank TLC1988
Reviewed 18 June 2009

we went to hemera first two weeks in june the hotel was great food and drink very good staff was very good and hotel was spot less

3  Thank EssexJason
Reviewed 5 June 2009

This is the first time I have ever posted onto TripAdvisor. I felt it was my duty to do so as I've had such a brilliant time at the Hemera with my family. We spent 10 days across the May half term; it was our first visit to Turkey (we normally go to the Canaries in October).
The hotel was clean, with the room made up daily (and new towels daily). We were given towels for the pool at the start and these were exchanged at the end of each day. The food in the various restaurants was excellent and the staff could not do enough for us. The Entertainment team was great, involving everyone (if you wanted to be involved, so not too pushy), with a great Kids Club. My personal favourite was Ervin "the englishman" as I called him ! 2 pools, lounging areas, 3 specialist restaurants + outdoor and indoor buffets, private beach, all good. We actually saw the wedding of Kaz and Del (see review from DEL1303), in the open air in the lounging area by the beach, and it was tremendous (I wish them well). The Hemera has set a very high benchmark, and I hope its a good next year, as I will defininately be booking again !

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Fredbloggs22
Reviewed 3 June 2009

Having been to Barut Lara Beach we thought that the Hemara would have to work really hard to come up to the same standard but we all agreed it did to a large extent*.
We go to Turkey for our 'spoil yourself' holidays and to places like Egypt for the 'undersea exploration' type. So our choice of Hemara was based on the good quality of the Barut hotel we had previously experienced. With an average weight increase of half a stone you might gather that the food quality was high. This is with us being experienced all inclusive travellers who are quickly over the 'pig out' early phase. My wife and I always get the guilts on these holidays so we swim and play beach tennis and walk miles to try to get rid of some calories, but hey the food is good so........I must mention the deserts, I daren't eat them but my wife and her mum thought were were top class for presentation and flavour and I have to say they must spend ages on them.
The house wines are palatable, unlike some that taste like they were pressed yesterday and bottled this morning. The sparkling wines and 'champagne' cocktails were tasty. They had a vast range of quality alternates and even the whisky tasted like it may have originated in Scotland. The only mixer they seemed to lack was ginger ale for some reason. The bars are well staffed and all except one barman whom we nick named 'smiler' were both generous and quick [there's always one] The restaurant staff were fantastic and friendly in particular Halil in the main restaurant, it really does make a difference when you have a character like that in charge of your dining experience. Great guy.
The lunch time snacks were of high quality too with several varieties of pide bread with various toppings, arrays of quality salad stuff [watch out for the small jalapenos, I didn't cotton on to what they were until I popped one and my tongue melted!] Periodically they'd do a lunchtime special with stir frys and paella type meals and fresh Tacos plus filling etc. For the roast beef and yorkshire pud brigade there were quality burgers, chips and pizzas too. We visited two of the a la carte restaurants. The international and the Turkish. I had too much of the starters in the Turkish [must pace yourself] and thoroughly enjoyed it but they could have rolled me home like a beer barrel afterwards. The International was nice with portions of a good size but the menu was a bit too limited I think. The fish restaurant looked great but daft as it may seem was 100% fish on the menu. With only 5 out of 6 of our party happy with fish were stuck so didn't go.

We went mid to end of May which is quite early in the season, but the temperatures were already late 20's early 30's sort of second degree sand burns on your feet in early afternoon which means it's plenty warm enough for most.
The swimming is good and water in pool and sea is high quality. The seawater clarity was quite a surprise with some interesting underwater rock formations for novice snorkellers, but sadly people spoil that by feeding the fish so they cluster around jetties waiting to get fed. We did surprisingly see Octopus on two occasions within 30 yards of the beach -beautiful, fascinating and shy creatures. Further along the bay towards Side we saw numerous Turtles breaking the surface to breath but they were never closer than 50 yards and my boys never got round to swimming over there -might not be allowed because they are protected.
The grounds are beautiful. In fact from the beach side you can't see the hotel for the greenery, all the others in the bay stick out like sore thumbs but the Hemara is tastefully discrete. The rooms were of good size and the fittings were good standard too, but we tend only to be in them to sleep so spend as little time as possible in them! No problems with towels and sun loungers on the beach but I suspect later in the season it may get crowded. Some people were doing the towel on the sun bed bit, don't see much of that in Turkey in our experience, but some people like to use the exact same sun beds each day but I'm not fussed myself but such is life.
In summary we had a great time, I came back nice and chilled to face the drudgery of returning to work on Monday just gone. Roll on my retirement!

*Lara Beach has more restaurants is the big difference, same quality.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Jake6257
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Travel dates 17/05/2009-01/06/2009 A group of family & friends totalling 30 adult’s 4 teens 1 toddler & a baby travelled to the Hemera for our wedding. The hotel is fantastic for all age groups and we were all well catered for in daytime entertainment, food & drink. The restaurants in the hotel catered for all ages and even the fussiest of eaters amongst us were well catered for. All the staff have smiles on the faces and will bend over backwards to do anything for you. The drinks in the bars are all up to Uk standards (& can get you very drunk) The daytime entertainment was non stop and covered all ages but our party mainly stuck to archery, shooting & water polo & many thanks to Ali & Ervin f& all the other members of the Animation team for looking after us so well (you guys made our time at the hotel very special) Our rooms were cleaned daily to a very high standard and the complimentary robes and slippers in each room are a nice touch. We had no problems with getting sun beds round the pool each day even though there were so many of us. We all must give great thanks to Ilhan & Derya who arranged all the wedding side of the holiday & made all our dreams come true, from dressing the wooden gazebo & chairs, flowers, champagne & canapés for our guests, allocating the international restaurant just for us & putting on a fantastic 7 course menu & making us a lovely wedding cake. The chefs & waiters were all involved and many thanks to all of them. We are all busy planning our next family holiday in 2 years time to celebrate our anniversary at the hotel. The only downside with the hotel is that you never want to leave!
Kaz & Del (Mrs & Mrs Watkins)

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DEL1303
Reviewed 19 May 2009

the hermera was a wonderful experience, friendly staff, great surroundings, fantastic food and drink, brilliant value for money , mandy and steve can't wait to go back next year,

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends