“Pleasantly Surprised.”

Ranked #36 of 227 Hotels in Side
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly Surprised.”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We have just arrived back from Lemas Suite Hotel. We booked self catering as we don't like to be tied to one place. The apartment we were given was on the top floor of block two. It was very spacious and clean, the cooking facilities are poor but this really didn't matter to us as we ate out all the time. Nice balcony with pool view. Air con is FREE of charge and was perfectly adequate. Bedding and towels were changed twice a week. The complex is small but really well kept, the pool was nice and very clean, the chaps were out every morning cleaning it and maintaining the surrounding areas. The bar area was nice, however the guy running it was a bit of a dope, he only ever operated in first gear, but pleasant. You are not in the middle of nowhere as some reviews state. There are shops and restaurants within ten minute walk and most ok. I would recommend to take a little torch for walking back. Side itself is about a 45 minute leisurely stroll along a traffic free promenade. Its a nice walk with plenty of bars and shops along the way. Side is lovely, lovely harbour, lovely restaurants and plenty of shops. This is our first time in Turkey and it was fabulous, we will certainly come again and would stay at Lemas again. We are led to believe they are revamping the complex ready for next year, bonus.

2 Thank kaysieBobsikins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Turkish first
Livingston
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Please do not book the Shuttle Transfer with your trip - Fiesta is the name of the Transfer company which came with my 'On the Beach' booking! Plane touched down at 2.30am but I did not arrive at the lovely Lemas until 5.30am where the journey included a 'comfort stop' of 25 minutes for the driver! That was bad enough but the company did not send a return transfer to pick me up from the Lemas. I called the number given the day before to 'reconfirm' my pick up time as required and was advised the bus would arrive at 12 noon on 28 September. I was at the gates of the hotel at 11.45am. When the bus had not arrived by 12.30pm I telephoned the emergency number and was advised that the bus was 'on its way'. At 15 minute intervals when the bus had still not arrived I kept calling the emergency number and was told that it would arrive imminently. Eventually the Hotel Manager called the emergency number and was advised that the bus will not be coming and that I would have to take a taxi to the airport. I did not have enough money for a taxi nor did I have my Debit Card with me on holiday! I was in a complete panic now and the Hotel Manager arranged for a driver to take me to the airport where I arrived 5 minutes AFTER the check-in desk closed at 3pm! Thankfully they accepted my excuse for being late and I was checked-in. I do apologise to use this site to vent my sheer terror at this experience but I was travelling alone on the trip and want to warn future travellers! Anyway I want to thank the Hotel Manager and the lovely Welsh family who stayed with me for the two hours I waited for the bus and who offered to give me some money for a taxi if necessary! I hope you all arrived home safely too. The hotel was everything Anne Marie H says it was in her review so please enjoy your stay at the Lemas and hope that you have better luck than I did with transfers lol

Room Tip: Im glad I had the option of a pool view room - it was lovely
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mary H
Cardiff
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Our part of the hotel consisted of three low-rise blocks (four storeys) around a pool with the bar/restaurant area on the fourth side. The general appearance is attractive and enhanced by brightly coloured flowering creepers growing up the walls.
Our apartment comprised a living room with two long sofas, coffee table and TV at one end, and a kitchen area with fridge, kettle and two hotplates at the other, Equipment was basic but just about adequate. But take a corkscrew and bottle opener.The bedroom was twin bedded and the maid, who came in daily, often left flowers on the bed, a lovely touch. It is quiet at night. The bathroom would have benefited from a good scrub in parts - blackened grouting in parts of the shower - but I am fairly faddy about such things and still found it within the acceptable range. Sheets and towels were changed twice weekly and the loo roll supply did not falter. There is a small balcony with two chairs and a little table. I have read quite a few critical reviews of the accommodation and can only think these people must be used to staying in expensive hotels, which I am not. We found the accommodation perfectly acceptable although I would suggest getting a steam cleaner into the corners of the bathroom.

Ther are two pools, three if you include a paddling pool, and they were immaculately kept. The water did not smell of chemicals at all. The large pool is a very good size. If you like cats there are about half a dozen lovely little cats around - and, mysteriously, a white rabbit - which are not only well-fed by tourists but apperently someone from the hotel does see to them during the winter so high-fives for that.
We were on half-board and breakfast consisted of a huge array of dishes, fruit, cereals and bread. I must admit that many of the dishes were rather odd but if you can't find something to suit you among all that lot, the fault may also be yours. However, the fruit juice should be avoided, it is truly horrible, tasting of disinfectant. Breakfast is served from 8-10. We ate there in the evening only once, on their Turkish night, which is very good value at £10 each. The food was fair, but nothing special. I would recomment the Cihan, a restaurant 10 mins walk away. A lot of Turkish families ate there. £20 bought us 4 beers, 2 main courses, and a huge flatbread with salad to start. Alcohol, apart from the local beer, is expensive. If spirits are you tipple, I suggest you decant some into a plastic bottle and bring it in your suitcase.

I cannot praise the hotel staff too highly. They were very friendly and extremely helpful, and at least two spoke excellent English. Even the cleaning ladies, who spoke no English, always had a smile and attempted to communicate with us. The little shop stocks only a limited range of goods but it is very reasonably priced.

The area is very new - literally nothing looks over twenty years old. Few of the roads have names on them, there are few proper pavements and only the main roads have markings. It is not tidily kept, but then this is Turkey, not Harrogate. It is ten minutes at the most to the bus stop to travel to the older part of Side, just a short ride away, and the fare is very little, one or two liras.

The hotel runs a free bus to the beach at 9, 10, and 11, and back three times in the afternoon. The journey takes 10 mins. Each hotel seemed to have its own designated area of beach and cafe/bar. Ours was the Apollon Temple bar and their omelettes are very good indeed. The beach is clean, the sun loungers free, and I saw nothing nasty in the sea.The beach slopes very gently, you can walk a fair way out.

The hotel has a little spa, and I had a massage, £10 for 35 mins. Germans and Scandinavians are in the majority, fewer Britons and fewer French still. But there were plenty of sun loungers so it didn't matter. We had a lovely week there. This was out first visit to Turkey and I was greatly impressed by the friendliness of the people. The importuning to buy was good-natured and you get used to it. If, like me, you are a middle-aged woman, you will enjoy constantly being told you are very beautiful. I even got the hang of bartering, which I did not imagine possible before I went. I would probably not return to this hotel, but only because I would rather stay in a more traditional area.

Room Tip: We had little view from the balcony because of a tree. Also, my husband noticed some rooms looked on...
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

TAKE EUROS PLEASE AS THE GEMANS RULE AND THE TURKS MAKE UP THE PRICE IN LIRA. Well what can I say the hotel is miles away from any were . We booked with Thomas cook on bed and breakfast basis and on arrival we were given a room which was below standard the room which was dirty had no kettle no cups and only one socket which was for TV that was on a TV bracket about six inches away from ceiling. The view was blocked buy a row of very tall tress and we were on the 3erd floor. The cleaners worked from 9-5 and for strange reason we were stumped for what they did. Their were signs around the poolside telling you no glass or cups were to be taken while you were sunbathing although the hotel were serving hot meals glasses of beer beside the poolside. The breakfast was basic if could put up with chips the milk jug was constantly filled although it could do with a wash out as the top of the jug smelt off which was a put off. If you want a smoke free breakfast and holiday for get it as turkey is cheep for cigarettes its a smokers paradise. I think the hotel could make an area for breakfast as a non smoking area. We booked a day trip and ask reception if we could pop down for breakfast early just as we were going to sit down and have cereal the manager kicked us out giving us a silly story and he reached into his pocket dug his phone out and shoved his phone in our face telling us we were 5 minutes early GET A LIFE our holiday. To get to side its two bus rides to town centre although there is a FREE bus to the beach from the hotel and a twenty minute walk along the sea front to the town centre.

1 Thank stepnen k
Burton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Right first of all, let me start by saying some of the previous reviews about this hotel being one of the best they have stayed in and about the food being good and location excellent is beyond me and my girlfriend..One of the reasons we choose this hotel is because of the good reviews..Not true at all..i mean having stayed in 3 and 4 star hotels in the past this does not even come close..i know its a budget hotel,but we went purely on the reviews and we choose wrong so now this is an honest review.The ok points..The hotel itself is clean,friendly,and the pool area is quite nice. Rooms cleaned everyday,Towels changed etc. The rooms are dated , old and could do with updating and a foul smell of waste everynow and again from our bathroom didn't help. Don't know if all the rooms are like it but ours was. 2 pools. One in the main hotel and the other across a road attached to another set of apartments owned by hotel. Nice and quiet if u want to relax. THE BAD points..The food is absolutely crap. Flies flying round everywhere. You had 3 hot dishes,yes only 3,boiled eggs, chips (chips for breakfast??)and some sort of mashed up egg pasta which looked vile. The toaster was so annonying. never seen a toaster like that before. salad,olives,cheese..continental dishes mainly. fruit which had gone off in my opinion,ohh and not to mention all the flies that were on most of the food. I ate bread and jam most mornings because it looked the safest option..The evening meal was no better..4 hot dishes,consisted of chicken,and pasta, chips again and something else. Salads and few sweet dishes.. we were half board but ate out everynight due to the lack of variety and quality. I know this is a 3 star hotel,and not to expect 5 star but some of the earlier reviews have been over exaggerated like this is 5 star food.id give this 2 star. The location..U are in the middle of what looks like a run down residential area. Someone wrote on a review that the hotel is 900m from the beach..this is a lie as there is a free shuttle bus to a not so very nice beach and the other beach is about 25-to 30 minute walk depending on your pace..That beach is quite nice. you have to walk up a massive hill tough on ur way back from the beach. There are no bars or anything outside the hotel..you are actually in the middle of nowhere..20-30 min walk again depending on ur pace. If you like ur walking this if fine,but if you want something on ur doorstep this doesn't offer that. people friendly at the hotel,as with all the turks..they want to be everybodys friend. This is mainly their way of filling the tills with ur precious money. Jimmy the guy at reception,veryhelpful and gives you all the information you need. Side is a nice place in general.. Many restaurants on the harbour near the beach.. nice restaurant called side beach club..offers arite food. u get hassled a bit,but I spose that is turkey for u. All in all we did enjoy our holiday to side but I would not recommend this hotel unless you are on a tight budget and I mean tight..This is an honest review of what we think of this hotel having stayed there for a week...

6 Thank elias j
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed at Lemas Suit, for two weeks in September and was not disappointed. On arriving in late evening, could not have been more apprehensive about staying for the next two weeks. The reception is very basic and had the feel of a youth hostel and on first glance the rooms seemed extremely basic. However, as morning set we were more accepting of the room, very basic, but had everything we needed and very clean and tidy. For the price could not complain at all. The reception yes is basic, but,the staff there are first class and will help with anything.

We were staying on a half board basis and again we were quietly surprised at the quality of the food. All local dishes using fresh ingredients, none of the usual rubbish like burger and chips, and were all varied and so flavoursome. We had planned to eat out a few nights but decided against as the food was so good. The Turkish Night again is a highlight with great food and entertainment (something the hotel lacks, very quiet after evening meal).

Only slight negative is the distance to the beach and old town, which is about 30-45min walk. I enjoy a walk, but in the searing heat and walking up steep hills, this does take a lot of effort.

For the price would return most definitely.

1 Thank GWHITE5287
Essex UK
Reviewed 21 September 2013

writing this as we wait for the shuttle bus home. had a fantastic relaxing week here B&B, staff could not do enough for you, nothing was a problem. area surrounding hotel was typical turkey, bit of a walk to restaurants and around 45min stroll to old Side.

• Stayed September 2013