“Good value quality price”

Melas Holiday Village
Ranked #35 of 229 Hotels in Side
Macau, China
“Good value quality price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We've staid in a bungalow that had a big balcony. Bed was very nice. The bathroom however was a bit stinky of moldiness.
Bungalow located near to the theatre so very loud late at night.
Food was ok but not enough fish or sea food. Selection of wine was not great at all.
Very conevient location. 2,5 km from Side center so great walk along the beach.
I do recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank caudrell

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Rowrah, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Just landed back in England on the 8th June 2013 having stayed in this hotel from the 1st to the 8th June 2013.

Don't be fooled, this hotel caters for Germans mainly and the staff speak fluent Turkish (as you would expect) and German. Being the product of a secondary education in the 70's neither me nor my wife speak either.

When we stayed there we were told that there were 1400 guests and 15 of whom were British. You can imagine who got the lion’s share of the attention?

On day one a smart looking chap called “Hamsa” from the wellness centre approached us. He said that we could call him something else but even with my secondary education I could pronounce Hamsa adequately. He noted that our tans had not started and we must have a Turkish bath and massage, we would be assured wonderful brown glowing skin (I've never tanned in my life). We were assured that this would be in excess of two hours and cost the princely sum of 75 euro’s each. This was our first holiday away from our lovely teenage boys so thought why not. Hey 150 euro’s isn't a lot of money for four hours pampering. At today’s exchange rate this would equate to around 128 Great British Pounds.
We went to the spa and were met by an elderly German lady who had the appearance and mannerisms of Ilse Steppat the bond villain!
My wife and I had our Turkish bath and massage and were then brought back in front of Steppat. The people who had given us the massages spoke to her in German and then left.
Steppat then said “Ok I will translate”, followed by “It is not good news”. It transpired that the masseuse had diagnosed that I had no blood running into my muscles and I urgently needed three 90 minute treatments within the week, my wife was not in such a bad state she only need two 60 minute treatments. The cost for this would be in the region of £400. Wow I thought I didn’t know I was so ill, I’m not by the way. Steppat finally commented “Well you have the money and the time so you must do it”. We didn’t, however her hard sell technique would have caused 007 to pull out his walther ppk had “M” authorised it!
When it was time to pay we wanted to use our credit card. “Oh NO” we were told you must pay at least thirty Euro’s in cash and the rest on a credit card. We had no Euro’s after all the currency in Turkey is the Lira. So we wanted to pay with Lira. They weren’t happy and tried to get us to pay in English money. We handed over £25 in English and the remaining 120 Euro was going on the credit card, however they further scammed us by converting this to Lira. Strange I thought since they wanted Euro. In any event we paid 295.20 on the credit card in Lira. These people are masters at asking for Euro converting it to Lira and then giving you change in Euro.
Did I feel scammed? You bet I did, if only Watchdog covered Turkey.

We were told by some other Brits not to have our all-inclusive armbands on display outside the complex. We would be ripped off they said, they had been to the hotel some 5.5 times. Their grasp of maths was similar to mine, I remember thinking.
I had a Turkish shave on the second night without my armband on. I was charged the reasonable sum of 15 lira, about six quid. Happy with this I returned the second night, however had foolishly left the armband on. I was charge 50 lira this time. Same barber same shop. Typical how they like to get their hands inside your pocket and remove as much cash as possible
So my advice would be, and this is if your insistent on going to this hotel, don’t go to the massage parlour or you’ll get terrified by an Ex Bond Villain and certainly don’t wear your wristband when off the complex..
Other than that the sun was nice, but I still never got a tan!!

Room Tip: I would suggest that Lara Beach would be best, having been there before.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whiroorow
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here May 2013, with 3 friends, there is nothing I can fault, food, service, cleanliness were incredible. We have stayed in numerous hotels in different country's but this was outstanding. Rooms were spacious, minibar restocked daily, bottled water available when requested. Restaurant was waiter service for drinks, vast quantity of food, something for everybody, with cooking stations for freshly cooked food. Pool area kept clean, entertainment there if you want to take part, evening entertainment was good fun and again, there if you want. Lovely walk into Side along a very safe promenade took about 30 minutes, well worth a stroll. A la carte night we took part in was Turkish, good selection of food, although a wine list was produced with a price list, (we were all inclusive) drinks were included although this wasn't made clear to us. Great hotel, we will be back.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Downpatrickmum
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We just returned from a week at this beautiful hotel. The hotel is very well maintained and has a lot to offer for young and old. For the first time we booked all-inclusive services and we enjoyed to the max! The food was good and diversified. The service in the restaurant was excellent & outstanding! The hotel is perfectly located; the beach right on our doorstep. The rooms are spotless like the rest of the hotel area. On a rainy day we made use of the wellness area. The treatments were really good and staff extremely kind.The only negativ point is the unfriendliness of the reception team who seemed really demotivated and unwilling to assist. All in all a great hotel to a fair rate!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Weltenbummler_333
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed at the Melas from 22/01/2013- 29/01/2013 for our anniversary. I don't really know what to say because I just COULD NOT find any fault with this place at all. The staff can't do enough for you, the service is spot on, the food is amazing and fresh. Rooms spotless- indeed all areas of the hotel were spotless. I would recommend a stay here to anybody- the pools and spas/saunas are a must

Room Tip: All rooms are kept to a high standard
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank biomass67
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

What an amazing holiday - The animation team are fantastic, there is lots to do for all ages both day and night. Various sports, pool games, competitions, talent shows and brilliant evening shows put on by the team. It is a beautiful setting, lush and green, a few steps to the glorious beach. Our family room consisted of 2 rooms - one big double bed and 2 singles with plenty of wardrobe space. No tea/coffee making facilities though. We were opposite the main dining room and if you looked to the right from the balcony you could see the Sea.We were just a few yards away from the main pool (which all the activities usually take place around). The kids pool is fab and joins onto another pool which overlooks the main pool & sea. Both the fish & turkish a la carte restaurant make a change to the main buffet dining room. Book on arrival to resort as they are v.busy. There is another pool near the Reception where there are 4 water slides, which are great. The sun beds do get taken quite early, usually all taken by about 9am around the main pool. Buffet food is good, there is quite a lot of choice at all meals. Saturday evening is Gala Night which takes place outside and is amazing - all the staff at the Resort were very helpful including our Rep. Try a Turkish bath whilst you are there - its a must. Also take a taxi into Old Side by the Harbour - lovely restaurant and many shops to explore. There are quite a few steps around the resort (but always a ramp not far away if those stairs are too much)! During our stay in August the British (us) were definitely in the Minority. other nationalities included German, French, Russian, Dutch, Swedish and Turkish but all the staff speak English so no need to worry. Also alot of the shows are in English. Ice creams served between 12 - 5 around the pools. Pool snack bar 1 - 4. Afternoon Tea by pool 4.30 - 5.30. Alcoholic Drinks 10am - midnight. We all LOVED this Resort. There is a Disco in the Hotel, just a few minutes walk. 11.30 - 2 am, our teeenagers went and enjoyed it very much, quite hard to find though down the end of a long corridor. Dont forget to try the Coctktails - the Pool bar staff were some of our favourites - really helpful, friendly and knowledgeable of the area.

Room Tip: cant remember the room number but they are opposite the Main dining room - they are like holiday bug...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank FizEssex
melas2001, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Melas Holiday Village, responded to this review, 22 June 2015
Dear Guest,
thank you for choosing Melas Holiday Village and your comment.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday in our hotel and it would be a
pleasure for us to welcome you again.

Best regards from Side,
Your Melas-Team
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Beautiful rooms and ground, first morning we turned up for reps meeting only for her to not turn up or even bothering to call reception to let us know. There was no rep information books for us to look at to gather some info about the surrounding area. When we booked the holiday we asked the travel agent to check if we could keep our room on as we had to vacate by 12 noon and wouldn't be picked up until 11.20 that evening . We were told we would have to wait until we checked in but there would be no problem, we then had to wait until our last day before they decided yes or no only to be told no, we could have willingly throttled them. Over all the holiday was enjoyable though despite the sweltering heat.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family