“Very average.”

Reading
“Very average.”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The good points.
Food on half board was generally good with nice salads and mesas. Although no water available with meals unless paid for.
The not so good.
Bed in our room no 403 was not good large dip on one side.
Some staff seemed friendly and helpful but unfortunately not all. Some appeared very unfriendly.
Location was good for old town but entrance is terrible and difficult to find the first time.

Would not visit again suggest choosing a smaller pension.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a swimming pool room as there was more light and space outside. Other rooms were ver...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rturner2102

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This our second time stay at the Leda Beach hotel. Side. right next to the old time. It was about 5 years ago.
It has had some improvements since last time, mainly to the beach restaurant and beach to the good.
We had a week at half board which was good value.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank athertonstan
bucks
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The Leda Beach hotel in Side is all spaced out through nice gardens with fruit trees and climbing plants,unlike other hotels.It has different types of accomodation and its a very relaxing place to stay.The breakfast is a buffet which has a good assortment of turkish breakfast food,cereal,fruit,and you get a great choice of breads.The chefs also cooked scramble,boiled and fried eggs and pancakes.And its served in the top restaurant, overlooking the ruins.
We were in the lower level in an upstairs room which got the afternoon sun but as we had free air con you could put up with it.It was so much nicer than the Beach House hotel where we stayed last year which only had filthy, useless ,squeaking ,fans,which did nothing to cool your room.
The cleaners worked hard and kept our room very clean,so no complaints there.If only the owners would put a kettle in the rooms we would be sorted.
The only things I could say were a bit upsetting was the night porter who showed us to our room hung around for a tip.We didnt have anything much in lira and when we offered him the change that we did have, he told us it was comedy money...needless to say he got nothing.Also one of the waiters in the lower restaurant,on the beach,had the nasty habit of not offering you your change.So after a while we stopped tipping any of them.Shame they dont realise that if they brought it back we would still leave it for them,but they shot themselves in the foot and not just with us,as other commented about him too.The other thing I would point out is there are lots of steps all through the site so I wouldnt recommend it for anyone with mobility problems.
All in all it was a much nicer experience than our holiday last year,so Im glad we came back to Side.The beach is lovely,and the sunbeds are free,and the beach is kept very clean and tidy by the sunbed man,who waits on you if you want him to.He got food and drinks for you,repositioned your umbrella when the sun moved and it was beautiful clean,clear,warm water.
I would certainly go back to the Leda Beach

Room Tip: talking to a couple who had a chalet by the pool they said it was a bit noisy from the main road.We...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank sheilamb
Soderhamn, Sweden
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel lays perfect on the beach and only a few minutes walk to the town. There is a restaurant on both sides of the hotel, one by the beach (not included in the half pension) and one restaurant towards the ancient ruins (serving half pension).
The breakfast was okej and the buffe was good but with almost non variation, and with chili on almost everything, so it was spicy, (not for children). And nothing to drink was included in half pension, not even water... And they charges well for all drinks...

Nice beds and pillows, but I didn't like the blanket, wich was thick and hard and with no sheet.

It's a minibar in the rooms that's filled up with drinks and you are not allowed to take anything out to put your own things in there. Very disappointing when I bought white whine on the plane and couldn't chill it :(

We had trouble with very smal yellow ants in our room, and the staff couldn't get rid of them during our 3 weeks stay.

But never the less I'll be back next year because of the fabulous location, great staff and food at the beachrestaurant, so cute cleaning lady and Sefer the beach"man", who made our stay on the beach enjoyable everyday.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Turkietlover
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The Leda Beach is only a 2-star hotel so don't go there expecting the best facilities, ie a shower that can be set between hot and cold. The rooms are chalets. Ours was near the swimming pool which was fine for us, but others were in narrow lanes that radiated from reception - many guests preferred the latter.

I liked:

* Food was very high quality. The kitchens are ultra-clean and the mezes and other Turkish dishes were amazing. Even though main courses are typically meat and occasionally fish, there are always one or two veggie options but given the choice of about 30 veggie mezes, you could just eat those. They also bake their own pitta-type bread which is yum.

* They didn't play banging music by the pool which meant you could actually read and relax.

* The hotel has a private beach and you don't have to pay for the beds. The guy who runs it is incredibly helpful and nice. His name is Sefer and he is actually an artist and does everything with panache and style. He constantly attends to everybody's needs and rearranges the parasols etc as the day advances. I once saw him manipulate two parasols simultaneously - one with his hand and the other he caught with his foot as it fell over. Somebody should make a short film about him.

* The hotel is right next to the ruins and the restaurant terrace overlooks the amphitheatre. It's nice to sit on the terrace at night and watch the sun set on the ruins, while tourists stream into town along the ancient thoroughfare still with its original Graeco-Roman houses and shops in a derelict state.

* The restaurant is run very efficiently and the staff are generally very friendly and talkative. Salman, Ali 1 and Ali 2, Ramazan - all great!

* Air-conditioning is included. Only works when your key is in the slot so after a hot day, turn it on and evacuate your room for a few minutes, if the heat bothers you. You could also have a cool shower, read by the pool, or do Bikram yoga.

* The cleaning staff are lovely - please tip them! They work in 45 degrees heat, changing bedding etc. They are traditionalists and have to stay covered up, which cannot be pleasant in that heat.

* There are lime trees, pomegranates, and bougainvillea everywhere.

Things I didn't like so much:

* We swam out to the swimming beach boundary, which was a rope with buoys, which is lovely to do. BUT - BE CAREFUL - do not touch the algae bits of rope, especially frayed ends. They have some organism in them which causes skin allergy. It was very painful, like falling in a big patch of nettles, all down my side and the back of my legs.

* Wifi didn't reach our chalet so was not worth paying for. Use one of the free cafes instead. Also, you can rent a laptop by the hour but it was in Turkish and had a trojan that stopped you getting on any site. Go to an Internet cafe instead.

* Orange juice was not included with the breakfast and had to be bought from the bar. The coffee was also rough unless you purchased the filter coffee from the bar. Drinkable, but rough.

* Some bald waiter generally perved after the women and told me he was a gynaecologist who saw 'ladies' in the afternoon between 2 and 5. He told another two English girls that if they needed a waiter to visit their room for sex, just tip him the sign. I guess there is a market for that kind of thing, though, and some people might upvote the hotel for that. Personally, I found it creepy.

Side is a great place but the old town should be toned down. Get rid of the neon and banging techno everywhere, get rid of the hundreds of identical shops selling fake bling, tell the shopkeepers and restaurant staff we don't need to be called out to and harassed every time we walk past their door. Make it more authentically Turkish like the little veg shop in the old town, run by the guy with the long hair who has his own organic farm. If there were more people like him in Side, I would definitely go back. As it is, I would rather find somewhere a bit quieter and less in your face.

* We booked directly with the hotel, and were quoted in pounds. But our bill was translated to Lira then we paid with card - with the double hit on commission, we ended up paying £100 more than the original quote, so watch out for this. Better to either pay in advance, or ask for a Euro or Lira price and pay cash.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank katkinsgalore
eastbourne
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Looking back I recall I previously reviewed this hotel in May 2009. Unable to get a room at our first choice , the ' Beach House Hotel ' for my recent holiday I decided to give the Leda Beach a second chance as I wanted to stay close to ' Antique ' Side. On reflection maybe I should have tried a bit harder as this hotel has disappointed once again ! It's a shame really but I have realised a couple of things. Firstly if you're not a German guest then they have no interest in you.
Secondly any comments or complaints you do make are completely ignored and so there is no goodwill or appreciation of your custom whatsoever.
Forgetting all the comments I made following my previous visit I was prepared to give this hotel another go and this time booked one of the bungalows which it turned out was by the pool. Mistake !!.... Noisy and with air conditioning that was completely inadequate for the purpose so it was extremely difficult to sleep at nights ... like being in a noisy sauna ! . Inside the bungalow was adequately clean but I didn't appreciate the army of ants that took up residency in the shower room nor the fact that we were only given 1 towel each. Happily though we did get hot water this time, but then as the temperature was in the high 30's outside I would expect the water to be boiling !
If we consider the food...breakfast still very basic and geared towards the German taste although the restaurant where breakfast was served did manage to serve a nice meal for dinner and the service was appropriate. However, there was a 2nd restaurant attached to this hotel on the beach side. I only had one meal there and I have to say in honesty that IT WAS THE WORST MEAL I HAVE EVER HAD ANYWHERE I HAVE TRAVELLED !!... I have travelled extensively so believe me it was bad ! .. stone cold ( it was on the 'hot' food menu ) and bland would be an understatement. I did complain to the restaurant manager who seem completely disinterested and made no apology whatsoever .
Whilst I agree that this hotel does enjoy a good location it does need a facelift and a complete change of attitude from the unhelpful staff team they have there.
I consider the tariff for these rooms or bungalows is very high for what is being offered and with the bad attitude ..... next time ... no, there won't be one !

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank simbolEastbourne
Crossgar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We arrived around 6am at the ramshackle entrance, which needs a make over. The receptionist was sleeping but soon woke up enough to tell me that I'd booked economy accommodation and asked if I'd like an upgrade. I was suspicious and pointed at my booking document which didn't mention anything to do with 'economy'. I sternly demanded what I'd booked and after reading some of the reviews I can see now I was right. Some customers have been taken to a shack type room so that they'd obviously complain and be glad to pay extra to upgrade. Well, not me, I loudly demanded my room, pointing at the form. The receptionist came over all sweet, ' I have nice room for you with sea view' and took us there. I believe as the hotel was full, this was the room assigned to me anyway. He asked if we liked it then stood like a statue, waiting for a tip. He didn't get it as I was angry how he'd messed us about over the room and had kept my change when I'd paid for the safety deposit key; he thrust it into my hand 1 day later. He kept standing to attention and we had to ask him several times to leave the room! The whole charade left us with a creepy feeling. Another receptionist the next day charged 40Lira for internet but after 3 days with virtually no access I got a refund. This was also an unpleasant encounter. There are many steps in the hotel to encounter but the hotel meanders through lush gardens filled with various fruit trees.
I am investigating hotels and writing reports and can say that these are the only faults of Leda Beach. The location for anyone interested in ancient history is perfect. The Roman remains of Side are littered around the hotel and can be enjoyed anytime. The entrance fee for the amphitheatre is 10 Lira and the excellent museum is the same price but everything else is free. In the evening take an easy walk to the harbour to see the temple of Apollo but be prepared when walking through the town for many questions from the shopkeepers about who you are and where you're from; this is extremely tedious. The beach can be accessed from the rear of the hotel and is a perfect spot for relaxing. We took a boat trip to Manavgat to visit the market and had a lovely lunch on board followed by a swim in the ocean. We booked through 'Dr Asprin' who can be found on the beach front in 'The Neptune' next door to Leda. The food at the Leda is excellent but I think water and juice should be included and not extra. We were not allowed to bring drinks or food into the hotel, but we did and kept it in the fridge in our room. We didn't use the mini bar. A small bottle of water is 3 lira in the restaurant but less than 1/3 outside and then a tip is expected. I left tips for the excellent cleaning ladies who cleaned our comfortable room to perfection and for the chefs who worked so hard to provide delicious meals. Myriam is skilled at back massage and that was a real treat for us. We had constant hot water and no problems with ants or broken loos. Do NOT be taken in by the upgrade scam and if the internet isn't working - get a refund!

Room Tip: 107 is away from the pool, quiet and has a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family