“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 229 Hotels in Side
southampton
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel for a week in July and travelled with another couple.

First impressions upon arrival were impressive, having arrived late we were offered a refreshing drink at reception and given a voucher for a sandwich as the restaurant had closed.

Our cases were taken to our rooms for us and we had a look around the complex..... it is huge!!! There are two large pools plus water slides, it sits directly on the beach with a private section for hotel guests. There is an amphitheatre were entertainment is put on every evening. The grounds are well maintained and spotless.

And as for our room, yes basic but again very spacious. There is a large wardrobe area and the bathroom is a decent size with a large shower.

As we discovered throughout the week the food is non stop. There is a buffet restaurant which has absolutely loads to choose from at breakfast, lunch and dinner times. I am a vegetarian and pregnant and found plenty of dishes. In the evenings there is a section for adults only to dine which was nice and felt a bit more like you were in a restaurant. During the daytime the snack bar on the beach served food and ice creams and late afternoon the lobby bar offered tea and cakes. There are two al a carte restaurants. We dined in the World Grill (after a lot of effect to book) and was a bit disappointed. I ordered salmon but had to return it as it was full of bones. They were really good about it and replaced my meal with an alternative. It was nice to eat somewhere different for the evening so was still glad we gave it a go. We were all impressed that you could pick up bottles of water for free at one of many fridges dotted around the grounds, along with beer taps for visitors to help themselves. Although I could not take advantage of the alcoholic drinks the rest of the group enjoyed the cocktails on offer.

There were plenty of activities going on throughout the day by the pool and on the beach which I thought was really good. We did venture out of the hotel and went on a boat trip for the day. We welcomed the breeze as the weather was extremely hot!!! We also took a bus ride into Side (bargain at 1 euro) it was nice to have a look around the shops and we ate at a lovely restaurant on the harbour front.

The only niggle is that although there are hundreds of sun loungers, towels are put down on them before you get chance to get up and eat brekkie. Even at 7.30am all of the poolside loungers were taken and some of them were then not used for the whole day. There is a sign saying not to reserve beds, but people do anyway. You can normally find some though a little further back on the grass areas.

The hotel caters very well for children, not that we had any in the party but there are a lot of families there and all of the kids seem to be well entertained and enjoying their stay.

In summary, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. The hotel is expansive, clean and you are certainly well catered for. It was perfect for what we were looking for and very good value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gina W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the begining of May 2012 for 1 week. We were a group of three woman (all 30). We looked at reviews before we left and they appeared to be quite mixed so we went with an open mind.

When we arrived at the hotel , the reception staff and bar staff were very friendly. We were given a drink and sandwich (it was about 1am) and then shown to our room. All three of us were staying in 1 room. The room was on the top floor of one of the many small blocks facing the gym. It was rather basic and despite booking a tripple room we were faced with a double bed and a sofa. We asked staff to attend outr room and they did so very quickly and happily changed the double bed into 2 single beds and provided linen for the third sofa bed.

The following day we made our way down to the resturant where the staff were friendly and we noticed they were particularly good with children. The food was plentiful and varied.. probably a 3* standard but was absolutey fine for us and as long as your not really fussy then dont worry about the food.. its all good.

There are two main swimming pools which are large and have plently of sunloungers (we never had a problem getting 3 together). There are 2 water slides and a crazy river where you can travel downhill in a rubber ring. My friends did both and loved it however I felt it looked a little unsafe and I was aware somebody else staying at the hotel had flipped over in one of the water chutes and knocked a tooth out:-(

We would like to mention a member of staff named Sezgin Cidam. He was the main entertainment guy who worked really hard and was fabulous with all the kids. He would do anything for you and was lots of fun. He did bingo and kareoke on the evenings and always made it fun:-)
Also the main guy (manager we believe) of the outdoor resturants was lovely (we cannot recall his name). He was very polite and ran the resturant very well, making sure all diners were happy and had drinks etc.

The general area is pretty low key and slightly run down. There are some shops and one or two bars up the road but nothing major. However there are buses not far from the hotel that take you into the main town.

The weather was fab and we spent very little time in our room. One side of the shower was actually facing out into the main bedroom which we felt was slightly odd. It was frosted glass but basically it was like having a shower infront of your friends! ha ha. The balcony was small too but didnt bother us.

If we went again (which we would more than happily do) we would probably ask for a room in the main building as it was closer to everything and had lifts. The other blocks didnt so if you have any walking difficulties make sure you request a room in the main building.

The hotel was mainly full of couples and couples with young children. We were one of the only groups of relatively younf people so not a great choice if you want to go as a group for a mental time away. Its right on the beech and we went for a walk along the beach passing several other hotels which were all really nice too.

We would recomment this hotel if you are after a relaxing holiday with nice pools, and nice staff/food. Oh and they have free wi-fi in reception for all you facebookers! ha ha

We made lots of friends who were all from England and we have all stayed in touch. We also made friends with some staff members.

Louise, Sarah and Claire (the girls from Bristol) x

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view in the main building (only building with lifts)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank 186220Loulou083
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We've just returned from two weeks at Seven Seas, and feel quite ambivalent about the experience - there are some areas in which the hotel was fantastic, and others which were a massive disappointment.

We arrived at around 1am and had to wait one whole hour to be checked in. I can't help feel that the staff handing out lemonade on arrival could be better used to speed along the process. I had a four year old asleep on my shoulder so was relieved when we were finally assigned a room, despite the long walk from reception. When we arrived at the room someones baggage was in there. We then dragged our hand luggage and child back up to reception behind the excruciatingly slow bellboy and were told nothing, but had to stand by as the staff members argued in Turkish for about ten minutes. After twenty minutes more the other guests were assigned another room and we returned to unpack. The room was about half the size of the 'family room' pictured on the Thomson website; it was in actual fact two twin beds pushed together and a fold out bed crammed in between the bed and the balcony for our daughter. The paint work was shoddy and it was very basic, but it was clean and air conditioned.

Throughout the two weeks we had a continuous problem with the hospitality staff. Our sheets were changed a grand total of twice in two weeks (and the blanket was only changed once, at which point they replaced the double blanket on our bed with a single one and - despite going to reception about the sheet situation twice - this was not rectified). As far as I could see all they did was empty the bin and on one day we found a clump of bright red hair in our sink - none of ours so we can only assume the cleaner was doing her hair instead of cleaning the room. Often the cleaners would smoke on the stairs in our villa so we - including my four year old and asthmatic wife - had to walk through a fog of cigarette smoke. On the last day I passed an open guest room and the cleaner was actually smoking inside it! With such copious grounds I'm sure this really isn't necessary and as non smokers we found it quite disgusting. The cleaners only clean six days a week and are off on Mondays - probably wouldn't be a problem if they had left us enough toilet roll and actually did clean when they were supposed to. The hotel has five stars on the front which I find quite laughable considering the rooms and the service.

The grounds, unlike the rooms, are lovely. The pools are large and well designed and surrounding 'gardens' are gorgeous with hammocks and outdoor bean bags for guests to sit and chat on. It really is quite picturesque and we enjoyed walking back and forth from the room. I really suggest they sort out the white metal covering the paths soon, though, as we saw two separate people slip and fall (one of which, a young child had to spend the rest of the holiday in a wheelchair). The pool area is kept very well on the pool bar side but the drains near the shaded paddling pool don't appear to be cleaned and can be awfully smelly in 41 degree heat. I'd avoid that area. On the subject of sunbeds, you really have to set an alarm for 6.45 and reserve sunbeds if you want a bed near where your kids will play.

One thing the hotel did fantastically well was the kids club and entertainment. The kids club staff made my daughter feel so welcome and were clearly well qualified lovely girls who enjoyed their jobs. I'd probably have preferred it if less of the activities involved sweets/chocolate as my daughter can be a monster when she has had too much sugar but, that aside, they seemed to be doing everything right. Sezgin is fantastic with kids - my daughter went to his mini club and was the only child yet had a fab time and has decided she is going to marry him! He seems to work all his waking hours, yet I never saw him without a smile on his face. I really enjoyed water aerobics and fitness classes with Nina - she is so friendly and has so much energy. The entertainment in the amphitheater was a bit cheesey but the team are clearly talented and they managed to keep adults and kids, Scandinavians and Brits alike amused which is no mean feat.

One big letdown was the reception staff. Few seemed to have any grasp of English, which is ok in itself but they often seemed reluctant to try and understand the query. One particularly dimwitted woman (her name was Ilknur, or something) was always moody and actually quite rude. One night we tried asking reception to book a restaurant for us - quite a normal thing to ask a hotel to do in my experience - and the aforementioned just said "we don't do that" and rolled her eyes when we asked if she could try and find the number for us. The rep, Henry, found it for us in the end (after a long speech about how he's never seen someone book an outside restaurant through a hotel) and asked them to call. She rang and hung up the phone then wandered off for a few minutes and started doing other things. When Henry asked if she'd tried she just said "they no answer" and walked off. Whilst the bar staff and entertainment staff were fab, the reception staff and hospitality team were by far the worst I've ever encountered.

The food was good; we don't eat meat, dairy or eggs and managed a varied diet. I enjoyed most meals I had there. We were pleased to discover they label things as veggie, or containing nuts/egg etc. yet by the second day it was apparent the labels were inaccurate. One day we piled our plates with "summer vegetables" which had the veggie symbol on, only to find chunks of red meat in it. Bizarrely some other things, such as "Turkey and vegetables" were marked as vegetarian and some things which clearly contained dairy were not marked as such (the porridge, labeled as 'mashed beans', or example). Luckily none of us have serious allergies so we just double checked each time. Turkish night was especially nice and the salad bar was lovely. Unfortunately there is a problem with flies but there seem to be less if you dine as soon as the restaurant opens. If you don't have kids, try the adults only dining area which is fly free and air conditioned (we tried it when our daughter was in kids club). The juices aren't real juice, but apart from that we thought the drinks were fine; the wine was OK and the beer was light and refreshing.

Trying to book the a la cartes was such a pain we gave up. We queued a couple of times but usually people will book massive tables for all their friends so even if you are third in queue it will be full by the time you get to the front. We were told by other guests the restaurant was half empty anyway so they obviously aren't booking to full capacity.

This is not a 5 star, as Thomson claims the official star rating is, but it's a good value family hotel. It's not luxury, the rooms are very basic, the service is a bit shoddy, but we can honestly say we had a good time and our daughter enjoyed it far more than some of our more extravagant/cultural trips because it caters for kids so well. We probably wouldn't come back to this particular one but I don't regret booking it.

Room Tip: We were in villa 9 - quite a way away from the action so quiet but probably a long walk for elderly...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CatLady1990
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We have just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel and we all think it is the best holiday we have had. It has just the right mix of entertainment and relaxation. We have been to other 'all inclusive' hotels and have found the they are a bit too full on trying to get you to do stuff when you just want to relax or watch others joining in the games etc. Sezgin was great. My daughter and the others that she made friends with thought he was fantastic. He is very smilely and friendly with all ages from the very young to us old uns!! We thought the food was very good, I am a fussy eater but even I enjoyed what I had to eat. The choice was very varied and nicely presented. Our room was quite basic but had everything we needed as we didn't go on holiday to stay in the room!! The pools were ideal, something for everyone, from flumes, rivers (I really enjoyed the lazy river - just up my street!!) and pools for games or just swimming about!! There's even a swim up bar for when you get thirsty!! All the staff are very friendly and the hotel has a great team of cleaners who are constantly cleaning and tidying all day.
We would definately reccommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Suzanne M
newcastle
Reviewed 18 July 2012

So we originally didn't book this hotel but got changed to it before we went because of a prob with Pegasos royal. Anyway we arrived just after 12 at night and were offered a cheese and salad sandwich which was rank and soft drinks only! No alinclusive after 12! But first impressions where that it was really nice and clean. Our room 1221 was very large but basic and had two bedrooms and two small balconys, only problem was that it faced onto the road. It was cleaned six days a week and to a decent standard. The resteraunt is in 2 sections with one outdoors and one supposedly air conditioned indoors, there was loads of flys around these and it was a problem for me and my family although the food was nice with plenty to eat for everyone. The alacartes were so hard to book we only went to the grill which was nice and also the beach bar was ok for snack food at lunch time. The pool areas were great and have plenty of beds, my only concern is that they are not cleaned hardlys at all and although I split my foot open on the surround at the baby pool (which was quickly resolved) and I needed four stitches at the hospital which the hotel eventually paid for, then you could say they are perfect. Now the alinclusive selection isn't great for the drinks and there are long queues at times. The management were great along with the staff and Henry the rep. If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me and I will be as honest as I can and I would also recommend the china court resteraunt in side, it's beautiful :-)

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank huglets
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This is such an excellent family entertaining holiday! Good for the little ones as they would have there own little pool area with water squirters where they could make new friends!! also for them is a very caring entertainment club full of caring staff! The food is absolutely delicious and the restaurants are ever so clean and have a air conditioned restuant!! Was the best holiday I've ever been! will definetly go again!!! The pools are amazing! the staff are ever so friendly! the hotel is class! and the rooms are perfect! I want to go back right now!!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Josieeee
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Was a bit worried by reviews of this hotel but everything was great. Initial room was on ground floor which we weren't to happy with as when you opened the curtains over the door you could see straight into room. When we complained we were moved to a higher level without any fuss. Facilities were brilliant and staff friendly and helpful. Entertainment was just enough and far enough away from the rooms to not keep you awake as we've had in previous hotels. Huge choice of great food and yes could get crowded at peak times but didn't have to wait long for things. Staf seemed to make a great effort to rectify any issues guests had. My 9 year old had ball. Would also recommend the windsurfing just along the beach to the left. Cleaners lovely, air con not great in the gym and cardio equipment limited especially cardio but then I'm a sado for being there in the first place!

Room Tip: Try to get higher level or one that looks over pool rather than the rear of hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family