“Magic Life Seven Seas Imperial - Mixed Views”

Otium Hotel Seven Seas
Ranked #8 of 227 Hotels in Side
Whitby, United Kingdom
“Magic Life Seven Seas Imperial – Mixed Views”
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I apologise in advance if becomes a long review!
We have spent the last two weeks at Magic Life Seven Seas, our party of three consisted of my husband, 15 year old son and myself. We booked the holiday with Thomson Uk.
I shall begin this review by reporting on our room. We arrived at the hotel shortly before midnight, check in was simple and did not take long, however no welcome drink; we saw subsequent arrivals receive one. When I had booked the holiday I had requested a quiet room on as high a floor as possible – we were on the 1st floor, as we neared the room (number 1246) we were aware of music noise, which was increasing in volume the nearer to the room we got. Arriving at the room we realised that the music was coming from a beach bar/disco directly over the road from our room; we immediately returned to reception to try to change to a room in a different location as we were extremely unhappy, we were told this was not possible and we would have to return the following morning and they would try to arrange something for then. After a sleepless night listening to the boom boom from the beach bar, which finished at about 4am we duly returned to reception, after some messing about were told that we could look at another room – overlooking the back of the kitchens and the rubbish bins etc – we refused this room figuring we could get the noise at the start of the day, with hindsight we should have taken this room! We were shown a second room in a villa building that they said was smaller – it was! It had twin beds, we were told a third bed could be added for our son but it would be a folding bed, something I specifically did not want and checked before we went that he would have a ‘proper bed’, not sure where in the room they would have placed the folding bed as room so small. Reception then started to have an attitude and basically said it was our fault that we did not like any of the rooms and they did not have any other rooms, so were stuck with the original room, and a promise that if a more suitable room became available they would let us know. Needless to say they did not, after 3 nights I went to see the rep – not the greatest – after to speaking to reception I was told that there was a ground floor room I could look at or a family room on the 4th floor in the main building – the catch with the family room was that we would have to pay to upgrade at a cost of almost 1300 euro for 11 nights, we declined. We moved to ground floor room (9122) situated at the opposite end of the resort in villa 9, seemed fine till we went to bed and once again we got beach bar boom from a second bar, possibly not quite as loud as before but not good for restful sleep, some nights it was louder than others.

FOOD: the food at this hotel was pretty good; the main Magico restaurant was used for breakfast, lunch and dinner. On the beach was a restaurant used at lunchtime serving salads, grilled meat, burgers etc. At the activity pool was the pannini bar, ice cream was available after lunch at the Magico, we did not find that this restaurant became repetitive - as long as you don’t have pasta rice and chips every night – it is easy to have a different meal each evening. All the food outlets appeared to be clean, as did the staff. Water was freely available with fridges stocked with it, so that you could help yourself. Tea and cakes were served outside the lobby bar each afternoon between 4.30 and 5.30 pm. Alcohol was ok with draught Efes, wine, cocktails as well as spirits, tho not international brands,I drank the vodka with sprite and it was fine. Soft drinks and coffee are available as well.

STAFF: many of the staff were extremely helpful and very friendly, however this tended to be the staff in the restaurants and bars, we found that some staff particularly at reception could be very patronising. A special mention to Erkan - who works in the Tropic bar at the smaller pool – he could not have been more friendly and helpful and really did work hard every day.

ENTERTAINMENT: this varied, most evenings there was some type of show in the amphitheatre at 9.30 pm, these did become repetitive. These were followed by some sort of entertainment at the activity pool; usually this was music or karaoke, if it was live music it was often on the evenings when no show was in the amphitheatre. What was strange was that pretty much all the live acts played almost identical sets and the Magic Life entertainment team had dances to go with the music. The German guests in particular seemed to appreciate this, and after a conga around the pool would dance in a synchronised fashion – I say dance but often it was more like an aerobics class – in addition the staff would move amongst the guests to try to get them to dance with them. We did not find this to be to our taste at all, initially we found it quite funny when they all danced together but after a few days the repetitive songs and subsequent dancing was quite simply boring. The watersports advertised in brochure are not as easy to facilitate as the brochure implies; for many of them you had to have a Magic Life certificate before you could take part, any motorised sports required payment. The banana boat was free but only went out 3 times a day and one of these was very early in the morning. There were some organised activities such as water polo in the activity pool but as most of the guests are German you were not always made to feel 100% welcome. Jessica from the entertainment team left while we were there, meaning that there are no English staff anymore.

The area around the hotel is quite nice and there is a small shopping area less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel, do not use the shops within the hotel they are more expensive. All of the shops take Euro, in fact within the hotel you were made to feel a nuisance if wanting to use YTL, outside the hotel YTL do not seem to be so much of a problem, but as everything is priced in Euro the shopkeepers simply double the Euro to give a YTL price. We visited the market at Manavgat, very hot and stall after stall of fake t -shirts, bags, watches and Bjorn Borg pants. We went to Side and found this to be pleasant, and not much hassle from shopkeepers. The dolmus cost 1 euro to both places, and stops outside the hotel. Additionally do not rely on being able to change any money in the hotel, as they often did not have any.

We required a late checkout room and asked repeatedly at reception if we could book one and kept being told to return later. Eventually we had reached our day of departure and had to go and ask after breakfast; initially we were told that they did not have any available, but after arguing we were given one but obviously we then had to pack and move rooms, I did not believe that the hotel did not know the previous evening which rooms would be available the following day which was the excuse given to us. We paid a reasonable 30 Euro for the room.

To summarise; we had a pleasant holiday – spoiled largely by the noise in our room at night. We felt that generally preference was given to the German guests, who we found to be quite ignorant, the art of queuing and saying please or thank you seem to be very lacking. The rooms were very basic and as UK customers we were not able to book anything other than a standard room, whereas others had a choice, we think Thomsons need to review this. Both my husband and son got ear infections while we were there, as did a few other people we spoke to. If you really need to have internet access while staying at this hotel we would recommend you take your laptop itouch etc as the 3 PCs for guest use were constantly used by teenagers on MSN, perhaps it would be good if the hotel could reserve one for adult use only. One final thing if you want to have a turkish bath do not use the spa at the hotel it is much cheaper elsewhere. We would not return to this hotel, in fact we would never go to another Magic Life, tho we liked Turkey.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank floradora04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wakefield,England
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I traveled with my husband and son aged 10. Three days later our friends flew out with their son aged 10 to join us.

From the Minuit we arrived at this hotel we chilled big style. Reception made check in easy and the rooms were a delight if not a little small, not much space for clothes and I would take some extra hangers. however they were spotless clean with air con, a mini fridge filled with water, Pepsi and Fanta and the bathroom had wash, shampoo and hair dryer and a brilliant shower. There was a TV with a children's English Sky channel but it wasn't cracking. The kids bed was only separated from us by a small roller blind and there was the largest mirror I have ever seen on the wall at the bottom of our bed to which our delighted son told us he would feel safe as he could see us all night GREAT!

The grounds to this hotel are beautiful and cleaned non stop. Plenty of room for every one and as we were there early in the season no trouble with getting sun beds. There was shade or sun areas. Do not let this next bit put you off but our biggest disappointment was that the wave pool did not work for first four days although an inside "spy" told us they didn't think it was turned on as it was so quiet, but that was just rumor. I complained to the Thomson rep who immediately escalated the situation and the customer services manager offered us a day trip to another Magic Life resort unfortunately this didn't suit us as we were waiting for our friends to join us on the weekend offered. The white water rapid ride is for over 12's and the helmet wouldn't fit our son who is a large 10 when he tried to sneak on. We were quite glad though when we were told someone later injured themselves on it but again that was hear say. The lazy river is also so lazy its asleep.

All that said this place is Fantastic. The meals are buffet but also coked in front of you. No English type meat for breakfast but still a brilliant choice of many foods. The rest of the meals were excellent including the toasted panini bar. The al-a -cartes were fantastic we told the boys at we would mention them as they were great and so was the food and the open roof top position of the restaurant is beautiful. All this was made especially nice because our boy crewed up with the English kids on a night so my husband and I ate alone a couple of times which was really pleasant and we knew O.J. was safe as all the parents watched the children between them and the hotel security was brilliant. It was the same round the pools we would all keep walking round checking they all had sun cream and drinks. All the children were so well behaved all the parents really relaxed and we would all meet up for drinks and entertainment later. Very pleasant.

Drinks are not English but are really good and the staff at the bars, restaurants, reception and every where really give you the feeling they cant do enough for you. The entertainment was brilliant some nights and average others but there was always something in the amphitheater then live entertainment or Karaoke round the stage at the pool then in the disco area every night.

In the restaurants people smoke.. a lot! although in the main one there is no smoking inside but it would have been nice to have some meals outside.

This was a real 5 star experience and the kids loved it. I am usually ready for home after 10 days but I would definitely have stayed longer.

Don't run out of sun cream I had to buy some English cream I knew my son wouldn't react to and it was 15 euros. We caught the local bus to the market for a Euro each, it runs about every 15 mins there and back, you just get on it where you got off. We enjoyed the hotel so much we didn't go any where except the market but I felt very safe even when I went back on my own. We bought our son a R4 but it wouldn't work on the DSI although it did on a DS so I took it back and the man immediately refunded my money and gave me some perfume as an apology for my wasted time, he said he had a good reputation to uphold. Excellent.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jam1968
Worcester
Reviewed 26 July 2009

An excellent hotel that had everything for all ages. Clean and comfortable rooms. Friendly staff. Food was out of this world, all freshly prepared and available 24/7. Entertainment was always available either via leisure staff or evening shows in the amphitheatre.We would recommend the beach water sports, again friendly, well trained and helpful instructors. One could easily remain in the complex and not venture outside because everything is catered for. An excellent value for money venue that had everything. well worth a visit and in our case a re-visit. Thank you to all at the hotel for a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Cheshire
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Greetings Folks, in the uk. - Read this it`s the truth and you will learn loads.

We arrived at the Imperial Seven Seas at 1:30 am. The Check in at reception was excellent, although no welcome drink or food, at this time and the hotel`s frontage may make you worry on arrival.
The Thompson rep is pretty poor, to put it polietly. She knows nothing about the hotel, only info on Side ( pronounced See-day ) So don`t ask her like we did, where or how you get free ice creams, as she hasn`t a clue ! And you don`t get a drink at the" boring welcome" meeting either .

We stayed on the 4th floor of the main hotel, overlooking the pool and sea, with excellent views. The room looked and felt like a corner out of an Ikea showroom, but the cleanliness, and space, and positioning of it were truly excellent.
The bed is hard, but maid service happened daily, and the fridge was well stocked with soft drinks. ( to make the fridge chill to its best pull it out slightly, from surround and leave cupboard door open, then it chills a treat).
By Pass the air con, with a plastic card and your air con will be on 24/7 ( handy tip )
The main Magico self serve restraunt is very good, although second week, it starts to get boring, pasta on the left, sauages on the right, etc )
The ala Carte Turksish, and Thai Restraunt were good, but keep away from the Mediterranean restraunt. ( The service here was so slow, the food was really grim here )
The Panini "Quick Bite" sandwich bar by the activity pool was good , ( hope that they get the electric shock issue sorted by the time you go, as people were recieving an electric belt, when taking their Panini`s from over the counter... ouch ! )
Plenty, of sunbeds by the pool, but..... best to reserve one in a prime spot, by approx 08:00 hrs, if you want a good lounger pool spot. As the bloody Germans will beat you.
And, believe you me, there are loads of Germans here. ( They look well happy !!! NOT lol )

MAJOR TIP - watch out for Dick Turpin / Arthur Daley or otherwise known as the Photo Magic, photographer that smarms round the pool and restraunt entrance, trying to sell his services at a very "rip off price". We sent him packing. Reson :for at least 300 euros for approx 120 photos on a disc only. Make sure you give him the great british "V "sign and send him packing too. He is a rip off merhcant !!!!! I have never heard of a hotel photographer expecting people to pay so much, for pictrures in my life !!!!!! CHUCK HIM IN THE POOL !

The evenings entertainments shows, were ok. And I say ok, not brill or fantastic, just ok.
The dancing rammed down your throat at night, is ok, for the first few nights, but by the end, it will prove to be really boring ! I was bored ****less with it.
The magic show, and break dancing were excellent, and so were the Reggee band, that come once a fourtnight by the pool. ( the other bands, would be ok in the Pheonix Club, I`m afraid)
Also watch out for Justin- Timber- Not, local entertainer. ( Make your own mind up lol ) found myself yawning here again sorry.

The drinks, were drinkable, but I`m sorry to say if you like a nice beer like me, the local stuff that they serve here is goats **ss.
Ask for champagne though, and you will get a nice sparkling spumante, which is quite nice for the ladies.

The activity team work really hard here, no pressure if you want to be lazy, or they will welcome you with open arms if you want to join in.
The best activity team members, without a doubt are the lovely Jessica ( from Liverpool ) and the Fabulous ladies man, Ghassan ( Mr Flirt )
I have attached a picture of Ghassan with a friend he used to enjoy dancing with.
Well done Jessica and Ghassan, you were a fab part of the entertainment team.

We made some great freinds here, who we will keep in touch with :
Robin, Sarah, Stu and Jane. ( They made a great holiday, fantastic ! )

Also a speical mention for , Adem in the Thai restraunt was a great guy, and Cagri on reception.

Won`t miss, Rick ( big fellar ) though as you did our head in ! ! ! !

All in all 9/10 for the hotel, 5/10 for the drinks, 9/10 for the pools, 7/10 for the beach. 9/10 for the room. 8/10 for the food.

10/10 for the friends we met !

Wouldn`t go back, but, most definately recommend this hotel to you, as been superb.
The weather was roasting for two weeks. Clear blue skies every day !

hope this helps you out, its the truth !
Uncle Chris 007

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank chrisandlindsay
yorkshire
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I holidayed here with my son (17) for a week in june, my only regret is that we did not book for two weeks. The food is of a very high quality and there is so much that you are spoilt for choice. The staff are polite and helpful and lay on a huge range of activites, including water skiing, banana boats, canoes, archery and much more all of which is included in the price.The varied night time entertainment is of a high standard.It is easy to catch a bus or taxi into the nearby town of side which has roman ruins and a market. We also took an outside organised trip to go white water rafting, which was enjoyable this cost about £20 each. Magic life certainly know what they are doing can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank alicenorth
Suffolk
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Just returned from 11 days at Magic Life, our 1st time to one of their hotels. The first impression of the yellow and black logo and yellow painted concrete at the entrance was disappointing but once through the entrance, the holiday began, nice reception staff, a refreshing drink, cases taken to your room, we were in an annexe near the activity pool, behind the waterfall. Lovely room, a bit Ikea'ish, but very clean,lovely shower room better than some 5 star bathrooms we have had in the past. Had fantastic weather for the 11 days, the food was really good, a lot was cooked in front of you, plenty of choice, kept off the salads, no tummy trouble, didn't hear of any either.
Mainly Austrian & German but quite a few English people, no problem in getting sunbeds, plenty of shade, pools are lovely and a nice temperature.
There were 4 of us in our 50's, the animation team were very good, we didn't feel we were too old to join in the activities. Extreme sports!!! shuffleboard etc. They asked if you wanted to join in but were not pushy. Gusshein from Tunisia was lovely,lots of the animation team came to talk to you made you feel very welcome, they liked talking in English as they have mainly German speaking guests.
The shows were excellent, 6 professional dancers who put on some very good shows in the ampitheatre, a good venue as everyone can see the stage. After the show there was either a group and music to dance to, followed by the disco if you were energetic, went there on our last evening, situated on the beach, a very godd sound system.
The only negative comment would be the beach is quite steep into the sea and is not suitable for small children or people who are not strong swimmers but that isn't the hotels fault.
Overall a fantastic holiday, we will definately go back, also we will be trying some of the other Magic Life Hotels.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank SuffolkBlues
Ashington
Reviewed 13 June 2009

I travelled with my husband and two children aged 7 and 11, my mam and 13 yr old sister and we all had a great time at this hotel, just returned from another Thomson Platinum holiday and compared with the Magic Life it was not good! Pool areas fantastic, plenty space, plenty available loungers and not overcrowded at this time of year. Entertainment was good on an evening, chinese circus fab don't miss it! Food was good, beach taverna nice for lunch and there was a little pool kiosk serving nice toasties. Bus to Side cheap and Side is definately worth a visit either for shopping or sightseeing. Theres a few shops around the corner from the hotel where you can grab a bargain. I am returning to this hotel in September 09 with the same people as last time and a few more family members and looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family