“Emre Akyurek”

Ranked #99 of 227 Hotels in Side
Bursa, Turkey
“Emre Akyurek”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My fiancee and i had a great holiday in Asteria Sorgun. I absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone. What make our holiday great are reasonable prices, excellent food, smiling staff, beautiful beach and swimming pool and more. My fiancee came all the way down from Australia, our holiday had to be perfect, so it was. Especially thanks all barmans, entertaining team.

Room Tip: Try to get a water view room.
5 Thank Akyurek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I have returned from the Astria Sorgun resort, Side, after a week of hell lasting from 22-29/06/13. I tend to ignore reviews of this nature because it can often be from people who cannot be pleased, however I can assure you I have never had to write a negative comment on any holiday I have ever been on. Until now.

The hotel itself is, in my opinion, a nice four star. I can see how it once merited five star, but has been overtaken by newer hotels. The reception is nice, bar areas nice, the pool is nice and gardens are lovely. The room was a bit jaded, and our room had lots of silicon seal around the bath, and overall was a bit jaded. You can see from the pictures, things like old style tv's, not flatscreen as you would expect on 5* give away it's age. Good soundproofing. Clean, too.

The food is up with the best I have ever had on an all inclusive. The head chef can be seen at every sitting, and he is a guy who is passionate about the presentation and quality of the food. Grill cooking and fish is excellent.

The flumes are open for two 1 hour slots per day, and the lifeguard is nice and very alert.

And that is it. The rest is negative. Some of the issues I experienced may be down to language but not all. There is virtually no-one who speaks English there, though this is the first time I have had a problem.

Some examples?
There were nuts at other tables. (I think they may be chickpeas.)My wife asked for nuts. The waiter said no and walked away. I asked for nuts. Another waiter shrugged and walked away.I asked a passing girl for nuts. She brought me a beer. I smiled, went over to another table and pointed to the nuts. She brought me a coffee. I gave up.

The pool area has the usual problem of people putting down towels and not using them at all. Not the hotel's fault, but a tip would be for attendants to put a card down on empty ones saying they will be taken away if not used in 2 hours or so. It would help families with young children as there were ones taken in the shaded areas which never got used for the whole day, every day. There are plenty of other loungers in the gardens.

I didn't hear another British accent all week, which is normally bliss as I like to see different cultures, but we felt quite isolated.

When we arrived, we transfrerred by taxi. 70 Euros, which was good value as the hotel is about an hour away. When we checked in, we went straight to the midnight snack, 5 minutes after arrival, and before it was due to close. However staff took the buffet away before it was due to close. We managed to get a bite, but guests who transferred by bus got nothing.

Despite the food, the canteen (yes, canteen) is a miserable experience. It is possible to have a pleasant buffet dining experience, I have elsewhere, but the main hall is too noisy, the serving area too cramped, it's too bright, and the waiters are amongst the worst I have ever seen anywhere in the world. Service varied between incompetent, indifferent, rude lazy, and helpfull but hopeless, with two staff able to take an order successfully.(Go through the main canteen, and down the stairs.) Some staff managed to walk from one end of the hall to the other without picking up a single plate. I saw people eating dinner while plates were piled on their table, and waiters were standing around. Others on mobile phones. I could go on but there are too many issues. The main impression I got, was as if a new hotel had opened, a swathe of staff left, and a load of bodies had been hired in one go to fill gaps. No training evident at all. Most staff were working hard, but getting so much wrong or forgetting, they were making multiple visits to tables for the same order, trebling their workload. Incidentally, the dining area is supervised, so forget any ideas of complaint, as this standard is apparently acceptable.

I found the bar waiters to be surly at best. However, It dawned on me during my stay that they work incredibly long hours. Not only this, but I witnessed one being treated in the most disgusting manner by another guest. His crime was to put ice in the drink before the alcohol, potentially short changing the customer. (On an all inclusive!! get another drink when you finish that one. Its free!) I told him he should complain, but he just shrugged as if there was nothing he could do.

I can cope with bad service, I'm not on holiday to be fawned over, but a number of things happened to us which were a cause for worry, and are the reason we will never be back to Turkey.

One night, I was busy and my wife went to the bar. When it got to her turn, the waiter refused to serve her. He moved on to the next man as if she wasn't there. He didn't actually say anything, just continued to ignore her as if she wasn't there until she went away, humiliated. I also saw an incident where a girl came back from the bar with a cocktail, ranting in a foreign language, to her partner. Eventually the barman arrived with a new drink. I didn't need to speak their language to understand she was telling him there was no alcohol in it. There were other incidents, like the woman who visibly tensed at the bar, and rolled her eyes at me in a "here we go again" fashion. I couldn't fathom how some females were served fine but others not. Did the waiters have a problem with women with children?

Another incident happened at reception. I went to the currency exchange, and asked for 50 Euros. The boy at the desk didn't speak English. I showed him my Visa and pointed to the currency board. He shrugged, unable to make the link. Another helpful chap spoke something in his ear and a light light went on. "Ah yes," he said. "No." and went back to typing. Baffled, I wondered if he meant they don't take switch, and held up Some english money. "Change?" I asked, pointing to the Euros. He carried on typing for a few seconds, before turning back stating "I told you no!"

I can only assume that he understood me, given his reply, and either this five star hotel (don't make me laugh) has no currency exchange, or he didn't want to deal in English currency. Either way, our mutual inability to communicate and his response left me feeling quite intimidated.

We went to the animation twice. It was woeful, but the other guests seemed to love it, so I guess it was a style of humour which didn't translate. There is candy floss and popcorn there, which is a nice touch.

We visited the town of Side, which was lovely. However we had some awkward moments where locals called us rude British for refusing to go to their shops and restaurants Disappointing.

Finally, I didn't see the general manager once during my stay. He may have walked the floor, but I didn't see him.

If you are going here, I hope that I was right, that there are some training and language issues, which have been ironed out and you have a lovely time. I hope so because much of the place is really good and the food is excellent.My only tip would be use the staff as little as possible, don't assume that politeness and a smile will get you anywhere, and you'll be fine.

I have been to Morocco 3 times and Turkey before, and found some of the most genuine, friendly, hard working people ever. This experience has put me off so much that I will never visit Turkey again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank James_hamilton44
Watford
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Me and my family stayed in this hotel on Jun 2013. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. The ground, the lobby, the pool area, the restaurants, the pier and the beach are absolutely stunning. You got everything you need. The hotel is very clean and well maintained. I can not fault it in any ways. The staff are excellent and friendly.

The restaurants are very clean and beautiful. We were all inclusive and so there were plenty of food served during the day. The hot food were not all that great. I did not eat any hot meal that I can say I enjoy, except a skewed chicken kebab that was served once. The salad bar and various other cold food seemed really appetizing and all cleaned and tasty. But I am a hot food person and I did not enjoy it at all. You expect to get more Kebab and Turkish food in Turkey. But that was not the case.

Regarding the entertainment, it was good. We enjoyed it.
The airconditionin was not all that good. Even though in June the weather were about 24 to 28 degrees but the aircon did not cool the room. infact it was absolutely rubbish. You expect better from a 5 star hotel. It also was only on till 6 afternoon! It did ont start working before 11 am either!!! It was too hot for time restriction. we were very uncomfortable at nights.

The beds were the absolute down point of this hotel. very cheap mattresses and extremely uncomfortable. If you have bad back, DO NOT go to this hotel! Me and my family all suffered and I could not get out of the bed in the morning, due to back ache of the bed. Really horrible beds.

Another downside of this hotel is its location. It is practically right in the middle of absolutely nowhere. to get the closest town you need to be in the bus for half an hour either side. You can get a taxi but it cost you. If you don't like to get stuck in your hotel, then this is not your place.

99% of guests are German. almost all of the staff could speak German and hardly any of them could speak English.

The beach was very good, but not all sand close to the sea front. You don't expect that from Mediterranean beach. For the above negative points, even though the other aspects of hotel was good but there are too important negatives for me to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms in 4ht floor was good
1 Thank Elahe
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This is the very first overtly negative review I have written about a holiday, but write it I must.
We stayed here 2 years ago and it was wonderful, (perfect in fact), but this time it was a whole different story, I will try to be brief........

The hotel is overall still good value for money,
However, this particular holiday was so very awful,

I work very hard for my money hence it was incredibly upsetting to chuck it all away on such a negative and tiring experience!

THE POSITIVES

Nice indoor Spa
Nice indoor bar area/reception
Comfortable beds

THE NEGATIVES
.Shockingly bad manners in most dining areas from most staff,
.A main buffet area that feels more like a Butlins holiday camp!
.Unbelievably noisy hotel full of guests that seem to think its OK for children to run wild!
.noisy bedroom with a view of the food sloppong out areas and cafes, with cluttering cutlery and .crashing of metal trolleys right near our room (at every food serving).
.Guests where mainly Russian who for some reason seemed to glare at you in the most evil of ways if you even dared to look at them ! (very odd indeed)
. Russian guests who seemed to constantly walk straight at you (rather than the normal way of walking), even if you are carrying drinks or food they will push, they shove, they reach right in front of your face at buffet when they wish to grab food rather than waiting!, such rude and uncool Behaviour the like of which I have never seen before in any country or any Hotel!
overall this hotel is NOISY/TIRING/TACKY and everything that ISN'T relaxing.

But the worst experience of the whole trip was seeing a man enter the sea with a huge harpoon gun in an area where babies and children (and turtles) where paddling/swimming !!! Very dangerous and very sad, the worst aspect of this was that the Lifeguard saw him and yet did nothing to deter him!............not good.

We will never return to this hotel, or even Turkey due to all of the above. I came home more tired and frazzled than when I left, which is a very rare experience for me, we usually love our holidays and have been so lucky in the past!, I almost cried with relief when we landed back onto UK soil. so glad to be home :o)

Oh also, air con in room terrible, almost fainted many times due to heat exhaustion whilst in room, I don't drink alcohol but I do drink lots of water so I know it wasn't that, it was simply because my brain literally frying alive due to a total lack of climate control withing the room !

6 Thank Sidandnancy12
Aarhus
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Spent a week with our two kids of 14 and 11 at this hotel which is lovely. Everything which matters to us is great: beach, room, pool, the nice jettee ... but two things negative: food/drinks disappointing and we were not impressed by the staff. We generally avoid 'all inclusive' as we get fed up with buffet food after a couple of days, but this was really the most boring and repetitive we've experienced. Drinks (wine, cocktails) also were low quality. A shame you can only go to the a la carte restaurants once during your stay. We had dinner at the Fish restaurant on the jettee on night, it was wonderful and would have liked to try the others as well. Hotel staff were not directly unfriendly, rather disinterested (maybe because we did not tip them at the start of the holiday?) and difficult to communicate with. Hotel facilities may get very crowded in high season, but perfect in May.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lone M
Lincroft
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Set in a beautiful area in a forest close to the beach, the gardens are magnificent and are a pleasure to walk through, Rooms are spacious, but some are very far from lifts, so ask for room near lifts if you have difficulty walking. The staff are excellent and very attentive to any request, and as it was my husbands birthday I requested a cake for him. We received in our room a lovely assortment of fresh fruit and a bottle of wine, which was lovely. We dined in the Italian A la carte restaurant, which I would recommend everyone to try as the food was superb there, and a beautiful cake with candles was presented to my husband. The staff a very friendly, and yes there are a lot of germans french etc but this is a multi national hotel, and does try to cater for everyone. My one criticism is that in the evening there was only the lobby bar open at this time of year, which was packed with people, and was difficult to get drinks and seats, as this area is not that big , I feel it does need another area for people to go,as the entertainment was excellent

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dud9
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in April 2013 the room we had was bright and clean but a bit dated but the balcony was in a poor state rusted and cracked plaster and very small.
We dined in the al a carte italian restaurant and i must say it was first class one of the best we have had.
However the buffet main restaurant was a let down poor decor poor service and the food just not up to standard.
The gardens are superb as is the beach (BLUE FLAG) but the main problem with this hotel is it has been extended over the years and the public areas are far to small bar,lobby approx 200 seats for 400 guest not good enough and if you complain they have no answer.

Room Tip: try to to book the new wing at either end
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Side
Robinson Club Pamfilya
Club Calimera Kaya Side
Maya World Hotel
Maya World Hotel
#21 of 227 in Side

Been to Asteria Sorgun Resort? Share your experiences!