“SILK PURSE - SOW'S EAR”

Ranked #122 of 155 Hotels in Kusadasi
Glasgow
“SILK PURSE - SOW'S EAR”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Back in the 60's this hotel may have been fantastic but now, it is basically a poor backpacker's hostel. I personally was miss sold this 'hotel'. I was led to believe that it was wheelchair friendly and had a restaurant serving Turkish and International cuisine. I do not use wheelchair but do have walking difficulties. The hotel sits on a step hill. Any wheelchair user would require air brakes to get down the hill and a 2 litre engine to get them back up. Even the dolmus had difficulty stopping part way up the hill, it is so steep. Able bodied and fit people would take 10 minutes to walk to Ladies Beach and a respirator to assist them getting back up, especially in the heat of the day.There are three ramps to get you into the hotel and there is a lift to all floors. On arrival, I asked about the restaurant only to be told that they only do bed and breakfast but I could go to the market and "buy food to eat in my room". Even tea and coffee were not available but there were two padlocked fridges from which you could buy water, beer or soft drinks. Now to the room. The shower/wc were a disgrace. The floors were all stained, the shower was covered in pink mould and mildew. The shower head, taps and fittings were rusty. Entry into the shower measured 18 inches and that was impeded by the taps so NO chance of a wheelchair user getting in there to have a shower. The waste bin in the shower area was all stained and looked as if it had been on fire. The TV didn't work and looked like a museum piece. The curtains were shabby and dirty. There was no shade on the ceiling lamp. The patio door to the balcony was broken and could not lock. The balcony furnishings were ingrained in dirt and the balcony was thick in dust as was the bedroom. Air conditioning was free. There was a small table and chair in the bedroom. Unknown to me, the chair was broken and when I sat on it to dry my feet, an unmentionable part of my anatomy was injured. The bed was clean but in the week before I managed to be moved to another hotel, the sheets were not changed although the towels were. Breakfast was another experience. In 13 years of travel in Turkey, I have never seen such a poor and cheap offering. The bread was stale to match the cake and the tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, jam and I think honey had been prepared the night before, which was very evident. Now to the coffee. When I lifted the cup to my mouth, there was a full lipstick imprint on the cup - exit stage left ! I never went back in the week I was there. TRhe swimming pool looked very nice but the sunbeds were shabby and the pool bar was derelict and had not been used for a long time. Speaking to the Thai wife of the owner was pointless, she neither bothered or cared. her husband Hamid is a man that will not listen to any criticism constructive or otherwise and he insisted on hammering home that he ha over 15,000 guests every year, all of whom were "delighted" with the place. I hope he tells the Zabita (tax) how well the place is doing. It's just a shame that he doesn't invest in some maintanence and improved hygiene. Hamid told me that if he improved the place " I wouldn't be able to afford to stay there". No worries mate I would NEVER go back there even if Double Tree Hilton took over the place. We all have differing likes and dislikes and expectations. Having worked in the travel industry I prefer to give a good review of anywhere I stay but this place beggars belief. For those who have praised the West Ada Inn, I despair at your standards.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Rachel1951

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Sarajevo, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Simply you come into a situation that you have to fight with the guests! There is a lot drunk Serbian boys and girls, who dont care for your privacy and sleep. Terrible. It is totally anarchy, and if you want a peace, you have to fight with that drunks boy! Breakfast is the same every morning, and Hotel Manager counts the number of eggs you eated,and the other destroyed his hotel. Every night thats guys (drunk, drogs) are organizing private parties, and other guests can not sleep. You can just call the police, but but it is not effective.

If you want a sleepless night, and the stress, visiting this hotel I wish you luck.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank guest233

Travellers are raving about these Kusadasi hotels

Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Reviewed 25 July 2013

West Ada Inn hotel is peaceful, quiet and located close to the beach. It has a nice swimming pool and there's a billiard table in the lobby. During our stay the breakfast was the same every day and not too rich, but in general it was okay. Our room had a lovely sea view and a spacious balcony, but the room itself looked a little bit old and not too cosy. What surprised me is that there was no room cleaning service in this hotel. During four days of our stay nobody bothered to change the towels or at least supply a new roll of toilet paper in the bathroom. So we had to ask for toilet paper in the reception, which was quite funny. Also, the woman at the reception never smiled and looked extremely unfriendly. By the way, usually there was no one at the reception desk so we always had to look for somebody to give the key to.
However, I should say that this budget hotel has a good price and value relationship and is a right place for low-cost holidays.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
cesme
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Not at all impressed.
Arrived 15th June for just 5 nights, and travelling alone. The room for the price was acceptable apart from the odd cockroach. TV remote was cellotaped up, and not really holding the batteries, so that became a knack, until the knack gave up. The bar was never open to my knowledge. It seemed possible to buy something from a chiller cabinet in the hotel lobby, but I seldom saw any staff, and when I did I was told they didn't have a key. Hardly ever saw another guest, and when I did they looked as confused as me.
I asked for some food-maybe a snack?-at 7.15pm one evening, and was offered bread and jam. Eventually I was given an egg, cheese, salami and bread to take to my room. I was quite poorly at the time, and to give them their due, they did offer me an alternative of rice.
On checking out, I asked if they could phone for a taxi, and was told it was better I do it myself.
Stupidly and regretably, at no point, did I complain as I was alone and had suddenly become unwell.
I am very well travelled, and this experience was the worst.
Ladies Beach is wonderful with many good, quality, inexpensive bars and restaurants. Palm Beach, Kalamarnas, Mona Lisa, Rosy's, Kiwi, just to mention a few. Consistantly good food and service, everywhere.
Also, although the hotel is only 5-10min walk to Ladies Beach, it is quite a steep road even walking down, and coming back up is a BIG problem unless you are fit or have a taxi fare.
Sorry, but I'm calling it as I saw it.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank anniecesme
Tehran
Reviewed 20 June 2013

1- Once you have decided about your budget for accommodation in Kusadasi, and selected West Ada Inn hotel, this is the very exciting moment that with my 100 percent assurance, you are not going to find out any other hotel with the same or even near conditions of this hotel. Large spacious rooms with lovely sea view, and at the same time, away from all of the crowd and noise. Simple, bright clean rooms with a great balcony which I guess no one will regret staying in. Small TV, but, frankly speaking, it is a waste of time if you spend your time in Kusadasi, watching TV. Wireless internet connection is free and available 24/7 in the lobby and many of the 2nd and 3rd floor rooms. Very big, clean and deep swimming pool, and a nice pool table in the lobby. I can say the bathrooms could be cleaner, but, I have stayed in hotels with similar conditions with 3 times of amount I have paid for this very nice and friendly hotel. Perfect air-conditioner.
2- Although Kusadasi is not a big city and going from one end to another is not a big deal, you have a walking distance from hotel to Ladies Beach. Besides, 2 minibus lines are passing every 2 or 3 minutes exactly in front of the hotel, and a free shuttle to a fine shopping Mal, KIPA.
3- I have nnnnnnnever seen a hotel manager being so nice and friendly to guests. After a short while you stay there, you feel as you have just walked in to a relatives's home at the seaside instead of a hotel. He even volunteers to solve your personal problems. Just ask a simple question, and you will receive much much more than you expect. I remember a few days after I checked in, he offered me to go to the shopping Mal, and despite the heavy rain, he borrowed me his own umbrella, and guided me to the shuttle station, kept me under the umbrella without letting me sharing it! As I had a long stay in this hotel, there are lot more issues from flight bookings, to helping extend my stay in Turkey. You will find a very good friend there.
4- I have read some previous reviews complaining of the breakfast. I just would like to note that the price of a night stay in this hotel with the above specifications is somehow equal to just a breakfast you can have at the restaurants in the ladies beach area. Just respect the amount you are paying. Indeed, you are having a quite normal and simple breakfast.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are perfect. If looking for in-room internet access, 2nd and 3rd floor rooms are recom...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank hashem h
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I have planed to stay in this hotel for 15 days only, however after staying for 10 days I could not have the desire to leave anymore, as this was the most comfortable quite and peaceful clean hotel I have ever been in.

I have been traveling all my life and staying in hotels, but I found this hotel extra ordinary for me by all means, so I ended up staying for two and a half months at least and I just checked out two days ago..
I can say the rooms are extra large and the bed are extra big and comfortable.
the balcony is extra ordinary big and has a spectacular view of the mountains and roads and yet the sea, every night I had the best night with my cup of coffee watching the sun set and spectacular mountain and sea view it is just astonishing and a very special view that very few hotels usually have.
I truly felt at home in this hotel yet I had the privilege of having a nice and comfortable super exciting vacation.
the town and beaches in kusadasi are super nice and very beautiful, however for my surprising I always chose to be on my balcony as it beats any other place I had been to, with it is super special view.
and what really make this hotel special is the owners or managers they are all super nice, I have stayed for over two month, and however not one single time they did not serve any need I had with a big smile and a prompt service from the bottom of there heart , and I am not easy to please usually however I was always pleased during my stay in this hotel.
the location of this hotel in my opinion is super, away from direct noises and relaxing and yet within very short distance from the action, so you could be pleased no matter what mood you are in at any moment.
I must say that the owners and managers were so nice that they even helped me with things and problems that was not related to my stay in the hotel, so really, they are the best and most honest people I have ever met in my life.
Breakfast in my opinion was great, and efficient and clean and accommodating for most tastes, as I stayed for over tow months you could imagine I might have gotten board with it, but obviously I did not.

Finally and most important is that all of the above qualities are priced so well and to the benefit of the guest not owners, and it provides the best value for your money among all hotels in kusadasi and maybe all turkey,

I am certainly coming back again and telling all my friends and family about my experience and my lovely stay in this hotel, that has more qualities that this money you spend could buy anywhere else.

Definitely recommended with all confidence...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family