“Classy, nostalgic, bliss!”
Review of Kismet Hotel

Kismet Hotel
Ranked #59 of 155 Hotels in Kusadasi
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Ah, but that we could have spent our lives here! Lovely 'peninsular' location, great service, superb food, friendly roaming cats and dogs, pretty gardens. All in all (sadly too brief) impressions of pre/post 2nd World War grandeur living. We will go back, late spring, and sip a sundowner or two on the terraces overlooking Agean Sea sunsets. Resplendent in blazers and cravats!

• Stayed: March 2010

Reviewed 30 January 2010

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's dated and has seen better days, but it's perfectly adequate and a pretty good value. I was hesitant to book rooms after reading TripAdvisor reviews, but I'm glad I did. The location and setting are ideal for visits to Ephesus and other sites. And there's nothing better than returning at the end of the day to swim in the sea at the foot of the hotel. My room was spartan (sort of dorm-like) and the bathroom shower is ridiculous. But overall, there is something charming about its flaws. The staff is very friendly, the breakfast is okay, but the location and 1970s James Bond dated-vibe makes up for its limitations. The outdoor bar and restaurant have tremendous views of the port (the foods only okay) where you can relax from early afternoon to the late evening. Not so bad afterall.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2009

The hotel markets itself as historic, and there are many old pictures around of famous guests with the owners, descendants of the last Ottoman sultan. Perhaps they should focus instead on improving the facilities and the service.

Once, the hotel must have been in a great location. Now it still has nice views of the sea but it is surrounded by the tackiness of Kusadasi. The room was fine but a little dated. The public rooms, especially the restaurant, have a decoration stuck around the 1970s. The prices for food and drink are ridiculous by Turkish standards, and there are two good restaurants across the street. Breakfast was a standard and uninspiring buffet (fresh orange juice is extra at 10 TL!).

If service were good, the Kismet would still be a place to remember. Instead, service is mostly indifferent and distant.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank topsmed
Reviewed 30 October 2009

During our 10 days vacation to Turkey (first time), we have stayed 4 days at this charming hotel. We have organized our Turkey trip through an agency but one of our friends found Kismet and insisted us to stay at this hotel. We are gladly that he did. It is one of the most characteristic and unique hotel I have ever seen; the view is breathtaking and the location is unique. The garden is breathtaking. The rooms are very clean and quite large. I and my husband reserved a deluxe double room (for his birthday celebration) and it was very nice with full sea view and a beautiful marble bathroom. The management also offered us a complimentary wine and delicious chocolates for his birthday. The service is very friendly and professional. The food was delicious (we only have dinner and breakfast). We will definitely want to stay at this hotel again.

Besides Ephesus, there is a very interesting ancient site called Aphrodisias located near Kusadasi (1 hour to the hotel).It is worth seeing it. I also highly recommend the Afrodisias Museum.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diane35Greece
Reviewed 28 October 2009

This hotel certainly has seen better days, but I think it has decided to cater to tour groups and short timers. Thirty years ago I'm sure it was one of the best in the area. The views and location of public areas are still stunning, but the furniture, outdoor bars, beach areas are in need of repair and refurbishment.

That being said, if you are only using it for a base to see Ephesus, it is certainly fine. The breakfast buffet was limited and the dinner buffet was mediocre and the price of wine was very high ($12/glass) - but considering the view from the bar, it may be worth it for some people.

The hotel parrot and cute cat added a friendly touch. WiFi was available in the lobby, but not in the rooms.

Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed at The Kismet for 5 days with a tour, and at first I was delighted with the room, which was initially 2 rooms, with the adjoining wall knocked out to make a larger room, with 2 bathrooms. Bed was fine, view over the marina was fantastic, and the swim in the Aegean was wonderful. The room was dirty. The bathroom/shower was covered in soap film, as was the basin. I was able scrape the scum off the basin with my fingernails! Off to the shop to buy some Jiff! I was going to complain, but was concerned the male room cleaner would loose his job, so decided to clean the bathroom myself. We stayed in lots of hotels in Turkey, some much worse than this one, but with its so called reputation - I'm compelled to write my first review of a hotel. On reflection of the various hotels we stayed in, the dirty ones were cleaned by men. After spending more than 2 weeks in Turkey, I have an idea how their social structure works, and I bet that these male hotel cleaners don't do the housework at home!
Another complaint was the staff in the dining room - plate and wine glass snatching before I had finished my meal, as another reviewer said, you felt as though you were being pushed out the door. The wait staff were insolent and mocking of us, on many occasions. They didn't seem to understand that we were paying their wages!
The location is great, as I said, but if you do choose to say there and you do have a valid complaint, then do it loudly. Don't put up with their arrogance at the front desk.
On reflection is the cost of alcohol - 1 glass of cheap wine for $15.00 in the garden. And the clothing washing prices were New York level, as another in our group commented.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank CorriedogAustralia
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel during our tour of Turkey. The rooms were new and clean, and the breakfast buffet was ample. It is a leisurely 1-2 mile walk along the yacht basin/beach to the center of town. Highly recommend the hotel to all!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kusadasi
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kusadasi
Ilayda Avantgarde Hotel
Ilayda Avantgarde Hotel
#1 of 155 in Kusadasi
Ramada Hotel & Suites Kusadasi

Been to Kismet Hotel? Share your experiences!