“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Kusadasi
United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My family and I stayed at the Grand Blue Sky for 10 days. We had a good size room with a sea view. We had a problem with our safety deposit box which proved to be a real issue getting fixed as there does not appear to be enough staff at the front desk who can actually speak or understand English. In fact one guy( did not actually get his name) on a couple of occasions was downright rude. Fantastic pool guy who was always very helpful in finding people beds, lovely lovely guy. Also entertainment staff were nice but do think for the size of the hotel the entertainment is very limited especially in the evening. Very surprised that ice cream was only available for 1hr a day and so had to queue in the hope of getting one and not even the option to buy if you wanted to throughout the day, but if wanting certain alcoholic drinks then there was an option to pay!!!! All in all a nice place in lovely grounds but did experience some very rude people, a few of the staff as well as guests. Some guests would appear to blatantly get served before you even if you they had just arrived at the bar and would think nothing of jumping queues and ignoring the children.

2 Thank Shell1522

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I was in Grand Blue Sky for a week. It was really good. I met best animation team there. I enjoyed their programs a lot. They are very polite and kind. Nesta, Charley and ...
Foods and drinks were good. The rooms were clean.
In my idea the only negative point: There isn't any elevator to go to beach.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank pourya p
GRAND BLUE SKY I, Genel Müdür at Grand Blue Sky International, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to get in touch with us to share your recent experience in The Grand Blue Sky International.

We are felt really proud of your kind feedback. We are pleased to provide the best service to our guests.

Essex
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Just back from our second holiday in Turkey this year having been to Antalya in May for 7 seven days with my wife when my daughter was on a school exchange (see earlier review of the Barat Lara in Antalya). I guess the standard there set our expectations and it was a lot more expensive. But we did book a week before we left for various personal reasons and lucky to get a room at the Grand Blue Sky. Travelled with Monarch again and booked the meals again. Worth doing as only about £6 and you can easily spend more on a coffee and snack when you are on the plane. And coming back seems to be curry time on Monarch with a delicious korma (or sausage and mash). Watch the people around you as the curry smell spreads. Transfer time from Bodrum airport to the hotel is about 2 hrs 30 minutes.

Got room in Block A which others have said is due for refurbishment. Our bathroom had dirty grouting in bathroom and missing sealing round bath, etc. BUT, very clean. Had room on 4th floor and great sea view and room is large. Hugh balcony with enough room for 4 beds, so daughter slept out there most of the time. Very private and she got away from my snoring. I did start complaining about the quality of the room to Reception the next morning as I didn't think that the room quality matched the descriptions, but that was when I had just arrived and was tired and disappointed, but stopped the process when I saw the pretty grounds and the rest of the hotel. After all you don't spend a lot of time in the room. But if you are booking this year, it's worth noting.

Mid August the hotel was full and like others, we were not given towel tickets when we checked in - but it was 2am when we arrived after flight delays. And no late night snack bars - they closed at 1am. Asked at reception next morning but there were no towel tickets left but the girl gave us a scribbled note which worked OK. The two pools very small compared with most hotels, but the beach was good and comfortable and the sea very inviting. Excellent for swimming and safe. Not a sandy beach but very fine pebbles so no problem walking on the beach. Other hotels in the area appeared not to have a beach - just a platform with ladder into the sea so worth checking if you chose another hotel.

Not enough sun beds and all reserved by 9am and didn't start becoming free until around 5pm so you need to be up early to put your towels down. No towels allowed on loungers between 8pm and 7am as hotel threatened to remove them so 7am worked well with almost a full choice at the pool or at the beach. We went for the beach as the relatively small pool area was a bit crowded with loungers. But then others may prefer that. We had no experience of towels being moved from loungers so that was good. Plenty of fixed beach umbrellas so you could get shade if you wanted it.

Food was varied but not as good as expected. Fish mostly frozen fish slabs in sauce but there was grilled Didn't see any prawns or other sea food. Various beef stews with veg, and Mediterranean style stews and casseroles. Quite tasty with rice but the taste got a bit monotonous. Lots of barbequed and grilled chicken, and could often find chips which provided a change. Disappointed no proper kebabs but instead mass produced rectangular or burgher shaped preformed kebabs. But it you like turkey (I do) then find it grilled, barbequed or roasted every day. But perhaps the best selection of food were the salads - absolutely great and delicious. Desserts OK. Drinks at meal times are self service from the barman or self service from a machine. Plenty of breakfast choices - fried eggs, omelettes, scrambled, cereals, yoghurts, salads, cheeses, hams, etc. Wonderful selection of freshly made bread and a toaster. Fruit selection overall very poor with only two choices of melon, and some tired looking oranges and apples. Always 2 soups at lunch and dinner which I always enjoyed. Bit of queuing sometimes for the fried eggs/omelettes or the popular dishes but not a problem as you are on holiday.

Outside dining tables plentiful and shaded and very pretty location above the pools. Inside good and many. Never had problem finding a table whether eating early or later. Tables often not cleared of dirty dishes while you were eating but not a problem.

Grounds very attractive and lovely to walk through. Bars plentiful, attractive settings and staff friendly. One café area is purely for making your own coffee and a useful stop off point on the way back from the beach at 7am!

Lovely small pool for kids and the entertainment programmes sounded great for the kids with kids looked after for about 2 hours plus in the morning and again in the afternoon.

Other guests (Turkish, Russian, Romanian, Ukrainain, etc) friendly and only one instance of queue jumping. Also some German, French, Italian and a few English.

Went on a couple of tours - full day Ephesus tour was hot (40 degrees C) but well worth it. Only about 40 minutes from the hotel including pick-ups. Only really need the half-day as the mosque, Virgin Mary's house, Roman temple, interesting but seemed like padding. A jewellery shop and pottery shop also part of the tour. Buffet meal quite good. Suggest the half-day Epehesus tour especially if you have kids. This is 2 hours around the ruins with the tour guide leading and talking, finishing with the jewellery shop. Quite pressurised selling but they will clean your wedding rings, etc., free of charge. Mine is positively dazzling. Personally, I was a little disappointed as the ruins are supposed to be No.2 in the world but I thought that the Roman ruins at Perge near Anatalya were much more extensive and interesting.

You should do the day trip to the Greek Samos island which is the birth place of the goddess Hera and Pythagoras. 7.30am pick up at the hotel for the 9am boat. Off the boat about 11.15 am after immigration and back queuing at 4.30pm for the 5pm return. Back at the hotel around 7.45pm so a long day, but worth it. Not sure what to do when we landed as the initial appearance of the main harbour street is very hot and dusty and not so pretty. But we popped into a local travel agent in the harbour who gave us a guide and said we could 'do' Samos town in 2 hours. So we hired a car next door and went to Kokkari about 20 minutes drive away. Got a lovely blue Peugeot cabriolet and put the top down. Cost 50 Euros for the 5 hours (normally 85 Euros for 24 hours). Expensive but similar cost for a taxi to Kokkari. Not a busy road so an easy drive. Small village with many restaurants on the beach complete with sun loungers. Have your traditional Greek lunch right on the beautiful stony beach and then relax on the sun loungers. We could have easily stayed there a few days. Then drove to Pythagorian, again about 20 minutes from Samos, the birthplace of Pythagorus. The streets are very narrow and the corners right angles so suggest you park on the outskirts of the town and walk down or risk wing mirrors clashing.

Went into Kudasasi a couple of time on the Dolmus small white bus that stopped outside the hotel and only took around 10 - 15 minutes. VERY frequent every 5 minutes or so. And if they see you walking from the hotel they will stop and wait. Only 2.25 Turkish Lira each way. The Dolmus is the No.5 for Ladies Beach (it always says that as it is on a circular route) and you have no trouble finding one in the town. Worth going to the market on a Wednesday (fake T-shirts, bags, etc.). Just ask for the Market and the driver will tell you when to get off. Similarly on the way back ask for the Grand Blue Sky and the driver will stop right outside. There is also Grand Bazaar in the town open all week. Some good restaurants in the town. However, it has to be said that the town is not the prettiest resort.

Would I go again? No. But I don't normally visit the same area again. But, having said that, I would like to go back to the Barat Lara in Antalya where we went in May - but it is clear that you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Not Block A
6 Thank Chris_from_Essex
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grand Blue Sky International

Feedback is such a valuable source of information, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and enables us to continually strive to improve our standards.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

\Just back have stayed two weeks at grand blue sky with my wife, daughter and 9 year old grandson. We have all had a fantastic relaxing holiday. Views from our 5th floor sea view room were spectacular. Room big plenty of room for the 4 of us, cleaned, towels and linen changed daily. Food excellent selection for breakfast lunch and dinner, forget your waistline, enjoy. Staff were excellent friendly, nothing a problem. Grounds very clean tidy lovely planting. Pools 3 ideal for all ages very inviting, chemicaly tested and adjusted regularly. Lots of sunbeds around pool areas and in lovely shaded positions around the grounds. Expect to build up the thigh muscles lots of steps through the grounds and down to the private beach, lovely.

Room Tip: Upper floors sea views
4 Thank Alan B
GRAND BLUE SKY I, Genel Müdür at Grand Blue Sky International, responded to this review, 25 August 2014

Mashhad, Iran
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have been there in July of 2014 with my wife and two teen daughters. It was one of my best travels I have ever had. Rooms were quiet and clean and view was so colorful. Foods were so delicious and nobody should miss Italian restaurant. As easygoing person the most important things for me is staff. I had a lot of funny time with bar tenders and animation team. My favorite barman was Ismail that was fast and furious in the bar. Nesta and Gamze were so kind and every evening entertained kids and parents. Finally, you never regret to choose Grand blue sky.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MassoudRiyazi
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience in The Grand Blue Sky International.

Bartoszyce, Poland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

It was my first visit in Turkey and of course in The Grand Blue Sky International Hotel in Kusadasi. I was there with my two friends. I fell in love with your hotel :-). Our room was nice with a beautiful view. It was cleaned daily with fresh towels and bedding. All the pools are fantastic and the beach is brilliant, too! Every day I could try new dishes, the food was very tasty. I met there many interesting people, not only tourists from other countries but the hotel's staff. Everybody was kind and friendy. The barmans were amazing, fast and always smiling. I was enjoying myself, having great time and resting. I was singing with Omar and dancing at the disco (special thanks to DJ Eren for lively music, I've made a friend with him :-) ). It's a pity that I could dance only to 1 am. I wasn't bored because the animation crew was incredible. I hope that I will come back to your hotel next year. So see you then :-).
Agnieszka (Agnes) from Poland.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grabosia1974

Houston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We went to the Blue Sky as a family of 5, kids aged 10, 13 and 17. Our friend and young son travelled with us too and we had a fantastic time. We had 5th and 4th floor rooms, which are due a make over, but massive and comfortable with amazing sea views. They were cleaned daily with fresh towels and bedding. My wife left an expensive necklace in the safe on our last day, so I returned back to the floor and the cleaner had found it and kept it for us (lovely staff).
The pool is brilliant, with the nicest lifeguard in the world, called Ayhan. A true gentleman who looked after us and chatted to us every day with a big smile on his face. The entertainment team are awesome, especially the beautiful Nesta, Emircan, and Fred, who is the craziest, funniest and entartaining poser I have ever met! They kept us all smiling every day, and encourage us to participate in pool games during the day. Music is played at the pool from the DJ box which was right up our street.
Plenty of bars which are open for nearly 24 hours! At night, we loved going to the new Sky Bar for the most amazing sunset. A fantastic barman called Ege looked after us every night with amazing service and a friendly smile.
Food was fantastic with so much variety, you can never go wrong. Loads of staff to keep things in order, but watch out for some guests who will quickly jump queues in front of you and your kids in a blink! (But that's not the hotels fault!)
Evening entertainment was funny, but mostly in Turkish for the childrens part. We got involved in a couple of on stage activities which was great fun. One night they had a Gala night with a free flowing champagne fountain and fireworks too!!
The beach bar in the evening was brilliant, so there were most days that we never left the hotel at all. With their own private beach with water sports, there's so much to do if you feel like it, or just chill on a decked area with sun loungers called the silent beach. (Personaly I'd recommend the Jet Ski!!)
Go for the Italian a la Carte at least once - amazing dining by the sea at night.
Ladies beach is 5 mins walk down and round the corner from the hotel with plenty of bargain shops, and bar/restaurants if you need a change of scenery. (Take a half filled suitcase if you like mimic designer gear, it's awesome!!)
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ANY FAMILY A+++

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better, and in either block B or block C
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Robby R
GRAND BLUE SKY I, Genel Müdür at Grand Blue Sky International, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Robby,

First of all thank you for your feedback.

It makes us very happy to hear that you had a wonderful holiday!!