“Good Hotel - wonderful views”

Korumar Hotel De Luxe
Ranked #21 of 156 Hotels in Kusadasi
Reviewed 5 September 2008

Just returned from a one week stay in this hotel with my family.
We thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The hotel has good clean rooms and the views from the dining terrace are wonderful.

We stayed all inclusive, following earlier comments from this site about drink prices. This year First Choice are offering this at £23 per day extra from the B&B price. Definitely worth it if you intend to eat/drink in the hotel. Example prices are 7YTL (Turkish lira) (£3.50) for a 0.3cl local beer and 5YTL for a soft drink. The limitations of the all inclusive were clearly listed, i.e virtually all food in the main restaurant, the pool and beach bar and also a well hidden turkish pancake restaurant. Local alcoholic drinks are included (beer and house wine) but not branded spirits (which also removes most cocktails!). Room minibar is included but it only has beer and soft drinks (and water)

Main meals are all buffet style, breakfast and dinner on the outside terrace and lunch inside (its too hot!) Pool bar does snacks e.g burgers and omlettes and some pasta.

It's about a 30 minute walk to the main town, taxi is 10YTL and the Dolmus (which pass every few minutes) are 2.5YTL

We had a room facing away from the sea, its better view on the other side but we were on floor 7 so still OK. First choice want about £100 per person per week for a sea view and I don't think it is worth that much.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank astans

Reviewed 23 August 2008

We stayed at the Korumar for 7 days and we sure enjoyed it but we faced a variety of issues that they should not happen at a 5 star de luxe hotel...First of all, the staff although they are friendly and polite they cannot speak english, some of them not even one word! We never took our bath with hot water and the prices for the beverages are quite higher than normal. If u want a tip, go to the nearest supermarket and buy snacks, water and sodas; you will save at least 50 euros. Some of the equipments in the spa were out of order, though the staff (especially the Asian lady and the moustache man) were great in their job. If we were to give points with a maximum of 10, we will give a fair 7. Good but i am afraid that the "de luxe" is out of the question....

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank maiko81
Reviewed 23 August 2008

Well what can I say, just returned from a quick week (too quick) in the Korumar Hotel, Kusadasi. This place is fabulous, the Hotel itself is spotless and perfectly situated on the cliff side with views to die for and more than enough places to discover to sunbathe and chill. Not just the pool area as alot of other hotels offer, there is a large jetty with more than enough sunbeds and hammocks so a quick dip in the sea is only a stride away (our spot for the week), small little garden areas with hamocks or sunbeds to laze the days away and a small bay and other little nooks and crannies to lay back and take in some rays!!! 40+ degrees of rays during out stay. The food was immense, lots and lots to choose from each day, try the Manzara (fish restaurant) perfect romantic location and waited on hand and foot, tremendous. Drinks, loads of different locations to have a drink or two, or more, stunning sunsets the lot...

Now, just a little bit of advice, not a critisism in anyway because it was great, but if you are not All Inclusive you may find the drinks a tad expensive £7 for shot of spirit, £30-£40 for a bottle of wine and the list goes on, and same expensive prices for pool side snacks. You can upgrade in England before your holiday but not when you are there, my husband and I did it for £150 between us and my goodness was it worth it. We had the whole works and didnt spend a penny!!

I Will be going again next year for a week without a doubt. Ime quite a fussy girl so not entirely easily pleased, but this place...... no complaints whatsoever!

To all you folks about to go.... Enjoy, Ime deeply jealous!!!!

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank lucylucyManchester
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Me and my partner had booked flights to Izmir in Turkey for September 2008. We then booked our accommodfation through Youtravel.com for one week.

I would stress that no-one should travel/book with Youtravel.com. After some misfortune with our flights i.e. the date changed, company ceased trading and then flight was cancelled by the company who took over the firm, and offered us alternative flight dates.

I therefore did my best to change the accommodation throughout these problems. Therefore when the flight was changed to a mere day later (16th to 17th September) I telephned Youtravel and explained the situation. I must add at this point everytime i telephoned this company I was on hold and always met with an impolite and rude staff member who didn't seem the slgihtest bit bothered about customer service or the fact my dream holiday was turning into a costly nightmare!! I begrudgingly agreed to pay an extra £86 to change to the following day, (which I was shocked at as the website states that "dynamic changes like the arrival/ departure date would be charged at £20!)

After receiveng the news that our flight company had ceased trading and we were being offered an alternative flight on 16th September but to Bodrum not Izmir I agreed and got straight on the telephone to Youtravel, again I was met with a harsh and unhelpful individual who said "do it online" I can't do anything, So I entered 'my booking' on the website to see that no accommodation was avalable..... I then rang the flight company who offered a full refund and apologised for all the inconvenience caused.

I then proceeded to cancel my booking with you travel and was met with a charge of £231.17 - I rang Youtravel straight away and protested that why should I be charged over a quarter of my accommodation price (total was £770.56) due to events that were completely beyond my control or my choice. Again met with a sharp and impolite member of staff telling me that the cost of cancellation goes up daily or weekly the closer to your date of arrival is as stated in their terms and conditions, which I have read in it states nowhere that I will be charged an unbelievable sum for something that with the notice given they could have easily filled with another csutomer! I have no quarms with a cancellation fee but I feel it should be dependant upon circumstances - I could go to Spain on the money they have taken from me for no reason and for this I am extremely angry!

I felt very undervalued by this company as a paying customer and feel that through the misfortune of others this company is staying afloat!

I would stress to anyone that beware of Youtravel because if there isi a problem it is going to cost you - BIG TIME!

I wish I could write a brilliant review of the hotel but looks like I wont get there this year!

I have informed Watchdog!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2008

My wife and I stayed half board for the first two weeks of June 2008, the drinks were the dearest we ever came upon in all the countries we ever visited.Food in the resteraunt at best was only reheated to lukewarm dosed with spices in an effort to create a flavour ,processed packet mashed potatoe so watery it would run through a fork,small bony fish you would not use for bait ,the left over mince meat would be served on consequtive nights as burgers or Hungarian meatballs (sauce added for reheating).I joined a queue one evening for a slice off a massive BBQ tuna fish an American behind drew my attention to the fact most of the fish was raw and frozen we deserted the queue! Most of the deserts were pastries filled with artificial fillings or dried fruit not one spot of fresh cream etc.Breakfast was OK very nice different types of breads cheeses omelettes etc something for everyone.The chef making the omelettes was extremely good!
The hotel room was bog standard (it overlooked the carpark) not really big enough for a fortnight,the animation team was the worst I saw in any hotel the outside acts on our second week were of a good standard,the pool+surroundings+decking area were uncrowded ,clean with helpful friendly staff.On two occasions laden work trollies ranaway down the hill at the side of thepool and ploughed through the sun loungers,my wifes and my sunbed were blown from under us and others ,the staff just seemed to disappear.
I do not think people with walking diffulties would have problems there as there are adequit lifts.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank rovingpaddy
Reviewed 10 August 2008

I booked a week on B&B basis here after finding it on a website. Reviews sounded good and its own website looked promising. It's rated 5 star and, by Turkish standards, it is. Saying that you were staying there definitely impressed the locals!

The problem is that it is totally geared to the all inclusive package traveller who wants to spend all day by the pool. Breakfast starts at 7am and if you are leaving the hotel early its not possible to get a "packed breakfast" to take with you. Drinks at the pool bar were free to everyone as there was no means of identifying all inclusive guests from others.

The snack bar closes at 4pm but that's not a problem as there are loads of restaurants within easy walking distance (get the dolmus back though as lack of pavements makes it dangerous to walk after dark) or you could eat in one of the hotels a la carte restaurants - provided you booked the previous day

I found the staff very friendly (as are all the locals) but they don't seem to have the ability to arrange private tours, car hire etc that you would expect a 5* hotel to do.

Best thing about it was being on the local bus (dolmus) route so getting around was quite easy

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank bluepiglet
Reviewed 12 July 2008

My wife and I were looking for a relatively inexpensive package holiday and eventually opted for a week at the Korumar with Thomas Cook, on B&B with a sea view room.

The hotel is on the northern side of the resort, going towards Ephesus. Our apartment was on the 6th floor, and was reasonably big, with a great view over the harbour and the town. The main room and the bathroom were kept absolutely spotless by the maid.

The staff were all friendly, polite and helpful.

The hotel has just about every facility that you could wish for, although as far as I could see most guests were happy just to laze around the pool (the temperatures were around 95 - 100F). The pool itself was well supervised and depth marked. There were plenty of sun beds and umbrellas and the shower and toilet area was really clean and tidy.

As for the food, breakfast presented a large choice of cold options and a limited range of hot dishes. We decided initially to have our evening meal in the main buffet restaurant (45 YTL per head), which, with drinks equates to about £48 for two. There are two other restaurants - a la carte and Oriental (the latter only seemed to open at lunchtime). The food for the first couple of days was really good, with plenty of choice, but then there was a disappointing Chinese menu night , after which we decided to go into town - the dolmus buses to the town centre stop right outside the hotel with a flat rate fare of YTL2.50. Kusadasi has all types of snack bar and restaurant, the majority of which sell reasonable quality food at really good prices (i.e. far less than the hotel).

All in all, the Korumar is a well-run, welcoming hotel - it does everything that the brochure describes for a really good price if you are on half board, BUT if you intend to go B&B, note that there are plenty of cheaper evening meal options in town.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple