“Memorable”

Ranked #66 of 155 Hotels in Kusadasi
glasgow
“Memorable”
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Myself and wife have just returned from golden gate as part of a group. Must start by saying that we had an enjoyable time there and would happily return. As said in other posts it is basic but you expect that from most holiday hotels. We had a nice clean bedroom and big bathroom that was kept spotless by the maids all week long. Only thing I would say bad about a self catering hotel is that there is no cooker just a single ring that you can move to anywhere. Pools where nice and plenty of beds available. Bar staff made our holiday. So funny and helped keep us entertained. Bar manager ilkay even went as far as driving friends to another hotel for dinner. Barman George (Cirkin maymun) was a bit crazy but certainly made us laugh gets frightened when you call forey at him. If I had to point out negatives about the hotel it would be that reception staff are not the best at speaking English and they strangely offered us all to change hotels for free with our dinner and breakfasts included all week but we declined this offer.

Eating in the area I would recommend a restaurant named somewhere else on beach front. And in centrum ( town) I would visit china sea and planet yokku these where the best 3 meals we had all week. I would avoid sherwoods on the seafront only 1 out of 6 of us actually enjoyed out meal there.

Over I would return here just wish the transfer wasn't 2 and half hours from airport

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank dav_3_y

Business
  • Turkish first
limerick
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Myself and my wife stayed here for a week from 25th august until September 1st.As everyone says its basic,clean and good value for money.As a light sleeper I slept grand with no noise issues to report.Nice pool,5 min stroll to ladies beach and its lovely restaurants.Thankfully the staff didn't bother us once about turkish nights or staying for meals etc ,as this is the one thing that usually annoys me about holidaying in turkey.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnnymac1
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Having read some previous reviews I must admit I was wary of the Golden Gate. Having returned from a lovely week away,please pay no heed to many of the negative comments! Firstly, for high season in August, I never had a bad nights sleep in the golden gate. There was some music which went on past midnight (god forbid in a holiday resort!) but I slept like a baby. For the both of us, the small bedroom area with mirror and tv, kitchenette and bathroom/ mirror earlier, the space was perfect. One minor criticism was that our front door wasn't the most secure looking thing- perhaps the heat had damaged it, perhaps it had been bust by a former holiday maker. Either way we reported it to our rep and she did nothing about it so I guess that fault lies with Thomson and not the golden gate. Air con is the best 60 lira (£20) spent on the entire stay, that's all I need to say about that. Cleaners were pleasant, reliable and towels and sheets changed every few days. Kitchenette may not be great if you're looking to feed a family but personally I've no interest in cooking on a weeks holiday, especially if the place I've stayed in saved me money in the first place! The location is great. Lovely ladies beach 5 min walk away; some lovely chill out areas. Some souvenir shops and great restaurants there - I would recommend somewhere else. Most expensive meal was 2 pints of coke, starter and 2 mains, 2 desserts for less than £30. I would advise to trust the local tour companies - sun wind and sun dial. We booked them for turkish baths that worked out at a Tenner and Ephesus (full day) which was £23 each. Thomsons was an extortionate £44 for the full day... I rest my case. Their stalls are on the beach. The dolmus is an experience but not unpleasant. Pay 2 lira each to kusadasi and it will taken 10- 15 mins depending on traffic and the vigour of the driver. The local market for all your needs - the migros- is about a 40 second walk away, not 4 minutes as another reviewer said. They must have walked very slow. The reception staff were lovely and as they are turkish, I didn't expect them all to be fluent in English. The bar staff were lovely and we didnt experience one issue with the credit room card you were provided with. If you are looking a good base for a nice break away, I would recommend the golden gate. It is basic indeed as many apart hotels are- but I'll eat my hat if anyone here paid over £450 for a wk including their flights. Kusadasi market is a must- it's certainly an experience. Don't be ashamed to haggle and know when to smile, say no thanks and walk on. Try the turkish rice, kebabs, meatballs and delights. Turkey is more interesting than your Spanish/ canary holidays for sure. The BBQ night in the golden gate is a must also- buffet for a Tenner each. An alternative chill out night with a 3 course meal with a roast chicken dinner for £7... Where could you get it at home? The turkish are friendly and accommodating. Enjoy your stay at the golden gate- we certainly did :-)

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Whiskeyjacque
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Having read mixed reviews of the golden gate prior to our departure we were a little nervous about what to expect. However, there really was no need for our anxiety. The pool area is lovely, plenty of sun loungers for everyone and the pool is cleaned every night. We requested air con upon arrival, which was an additional charge of €4 per day.. Well worth every cent! Our room was also cleaned thoroughly every single day for our 2 week stay, towels changed every 2 days, and bed clothes changed frequently. The staff on reception are so nice, and really do go out of their way to help. The Turkish night which the hotel holds on a Tuesday night was about 30turkish lira per person, this included lots of entertainment and a delicious turkish buffet.. (Chicken on skewers, rices, salads, gougons, marninated beef, rostis, fruits, chocolate tarts, etc..) Ladies beach is so much nicer than the city in terms of eating, Rosy's, Rocca, brothers are highly recommended... If you are an active person the walk to Kusadasi is about 25 minutes and is well worth it with stunning views and a nice bit of exercise. Otherwise the Dolmus runs from outside the hotel for €1. Planet Yucca is really good food in town, and has a great guy singing from about 9.30.. They also do yummy pancakes, we went there for brunch after the market. La Vista is a sister hotel of the golden gate, it is a very exclusive boutique hotel, with stunning views (the best in Kusadasi) ontop of the cliff where u can watch the sunset. (Very romantic) The tables are al fresco, beside an infinity pool with candles lit everywhere.. And the food is superb. It is my number one recommendation. It is very reasonably priced.. 4 drinks and a steak a chicken stirfry and 2 tirimasus for around 55 euro.. That is with a 10% discount for golden gate guests.. Be warned though, men wear a shirt, and women dress elegantly. Adaland waterpark is also highly recommended, we had a fantastic day there.. Book with agents on ladies beach though, do not book with your travel agency rep.. We went to Adaland including transfers for €36.00.. The Turkish bath is a great idea for your first day.. exfoliates and prepares your skin for tanning.. And great fun for couples.. With an agent on ladies beach for €8 per person including transfers! Migros is a handy place for groceries, 2 minute walk on the right after the hotel on the way to ladies beach.. However the fruit and veg is not fresh in migros, so if you are on a two weeker, go to the fruit market in town on the friday of your first week.. It is sooooo fresh, cheap and the selection is huge! Alcohol is MEGA expensive in Turkey.. A bottle of house wine is the same price as a steak on menus.. So if you're on a drinking holiday you are going to spend a lot more than a chill out one! Overall, we loved every single minute of our holiday.. And will definitely be returning to Golden Gate.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank IlovetoTRAVEL53
Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed here end of July 2013 for one week holiday. It was last minute offer so was a bit worried what it would be like.
The hotel is on 3 floors, no lift. The reception staff had ok English for basic stuff which happily included a room change to ground floor room. If you want air con in your room you need to pay at reception in advance. Also, they give you a charge card on arrival as the hotel does not use cash for bar, etc.. We only got one card per room so a bit of planning needed if 'someone' takes off to town with your shared card in their pocket....
You get no receipts from the bar when you order so it is good to pay the card bill daily while you still know what you had to eat/drink.
The room had a double & single bed with a small balcony. In the room entrance area, there was a sink with electric kettle, fridge and a hotplate - I think that might have been the 'kitchen' but it would be hard to cook there. Clean sheets and towels and general room clean up, every day.
The food at the hotel is grand. Breakfast was great on the Sunday and included freshly made omelettes, but had fewer choices the rest of the week. Lots of local bread, some nice melon slices, cereal - but the milk was the long life type, hard boiled eggs, tea / coffee.
The Turkish Night (Tuesday??) was great food buffet, entertainment and very enjoyable.
There are also a lot of great value places to eat - almost 24/7 within easy walk of the hotel.
Ladies Beach was a less than 5min (slow) walk, Kusadasi town centre is about 10min and 2Lira on the local mini bus service - Dolmus - it stops across from the hotel around every 15mins to go in to town, and drops you at the door on the way back - very handy when you have shopping bags....
I recommend the Golden Gate as a good base for a holiday in Kusadasi.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank frequent_flyer04
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We were a bit worried about what was ahead of us when we booked the Golden Gate for a holiday at the end July/start August (2013) as some previous reviews were a bit off-putting.
I am happy to say that the reality was quite different. Its a charming place, clean and very helpful staff. There was one less than wonderful person (new on staff) but he didn't last as long as our holiday :-)
I was on B&B + evening meal package and enjoyed every meal. There was an occasional 'happy hour' at the bar with BOGOF. Unfortunately the happy hour had no pattern or advertising so it was pot luck if you made it to the bar at the right time.
It can be a bit of a mixed blessing that the bar only uses a charge card mechanism. We paid each day to try to keep track of what we spent - while we could remember....
There was a good weekly Turkish Night at the hotel, also good evening entertainment on two/three other evenings.

The free WiFi is available at the hotel reception area, poolside and at the bar. It was very handy, so make sure you have set up your phone for Viber / Skype to make free voice and video calls back to all your envious friends and family.

There was a small extra daily charge for a safe deposit box and also for room air conditioning. It was well worth it as the heat can make sleep difficult.

I'm not sure quite what you could cook on the one electric hotplate that was the kitchen but food t the hotel and surrounding area was reasonably priced and tasty. There was a kettle which was useful as I had brought tea bags & a small jar of coffee.

There is a small shop next to the hotel where you can get small stuff - water, soft drinks, bread.. but there is a supermarket MIGROS a little further along the same street (4min walk). It is much the same as Tesco and most staff there spoke English. It was handy to get 'proper' milk there- called Gunluk Sut. Not the longlife UHT stuff that made tea/cereal etc, taste weird. The fridge in the room is a good size for storing.

The local Dolmus bus service to the town centre stops outside the hotel and costs 1euro each way. it seems to be every 10-15mins. I think it was the number 5 bus. check when you get off coz once you are in town there are a zillion dolmus and they all look the same :-) A taxi back from town was 6 euro. and you will need to get a taxi back if you do a trip to the market....
Wednesday was clothes market day and I seriously recommend going there early before the heat and the crowds. Every 'genuine fake' brand, style you can imagine......

I can't think of anything else at the minute so feel free to email me any specific questions.

Enjoy your trip to Kusadasi and the Golden Gate.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank cooltan
Balbriggan, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Having come back from here last week i thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. The rooms are very spacious and cleaned everyday, the pool is well maintained and heated but loses the sun after 4pm, the staff are lovely but not very good with remembering the food orders. The pool bar/restaurant doesnt accept payment and its all put on a card which can be paid for at reception, very handy not having cash at the pool. The only downside is the beds are very hard. Overall would recommend for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends